Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Sora barking at Tsubasa was hilarious, looking forward to seeing best boy transform next week (I imagine Ageha won’t be far behind at this rate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's kind of interesting that the most seriously depicted character is arguably the chubby, transforming magical bird. Also love that Ageha is leaving herself in the loop vis-a-vis superheroics, she also has a real different vibe herself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

It's kind of interesting that the most seriously depicted character is arguably the chubby, transforming magical bird. Also love that Ageha is leaving herself in the loop vis-a-vis superheroics, she also has a real different vibe herself.

Like I said, I imagine it won’t be too much longer at this point before she finale dons the Precure mantle herself

Off the subject, we have a new trailer for Sailor Moon Cosmos:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=c4g1-tHZYJg

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tsubasa is impressively very cool even when he's a small chubby bird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s so nice to have another season where every Cure is extremely likable, hopefully they’ll continue getting equal shares of focus once the gang is fully assembled.

Also apparently Bandai actually got smart for once and DIDN’T put the midseason Cure in the Mirror Pad (a recent datamine only uncovered the 77 already known Cures in the franchise, though interestingly enough there were not one but two empty spots left over)

I also find it funny that Ageha (as far as we know) is the only member of the crew without Skylandian ancestry (and ironically she’s also the Pink of the team)

Lastly Tsubasa’s race is literally called the Squishy Bird Tribe (which is wonderful)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 26, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They did look very squishy, yes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been rewatching Dokidoki and I don't see how it's possible to read Rikka as anything other than a deeply closeted lesbian. She's got it down BAD for Mana, but is so dishonest about her feelings. The Christmas episode even touches on the idea that Rikka thinks she and Mana have to grow apart and not be around each other all the time, which relates to how girls in Japan can have extremely close relationships that are expected to grow apart as they get older. The resolution to it is admitting to herself that she loves Mana and that this doesn't have to happen.

The only exception to all this is what she has going on with Ira, but she effectively chooses her trust in Mana over him during their confrontation in the final battle. So again, it's clear who she really has feelings for.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I've been rewatching Dokidoki and I don't see how it's possible to read Rikka as anything other than a deeply closeted lesbian. She's got it down BAD for Mana, but is so dishonest about her feelings. The Christmas episode even touches on the idea that Rikka thinks she and Mana have to grow apart and not be around each other all the time, which relates to how girls in Japan can have extremely close relationships that are expected to grow apart as they get older. The resolution to it is admitting to herself that she loves Mana and that this doesn't have to happen.

The only exception to all this is what she has going on with Ira, but she effectively chooses her trust in Mana over him during their confrontation in the final battle. So again, it's clear who she really has feelings for.

There is literally an episode where she feels physical pain from seeing Mana spending a lot of time with Makoto and she gets flustered when her fairy tells her she’d make a good wife for Mana so yeah. There is the whole Ira thing I guess but I never really got romantic vibes off of that personally

There’s no heterosexual explanation for Regina either (even the dub didn’t fully get rid of it)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The secret to Doki Doki is that all the Cures and Regina love Mana (Even Alice's arc feels very much like she is Doki Doki's Tomoyo)

Just seeing everything Doki Doki did well only for the mid season twist and mid season episodes suck just makes me sad. Could of been an all timer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The mid-season twist is fine. Aguri is fine. Regina not being a Precure is fine.

It's also an example of how fickle fans are. Before all that happened, people were hating it for ripping off Fresh and that Regina was obviously gonna end up joining like Setsuna did. Then that DIDN'T happen and everyone got mad. Which is it, folks?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My only real problem with Aguri is that she literally comes out of nowhere with no buildup (most midseason Cures at least get a bit of development before they pull the trigger)

The whole “Mana is a Mary Sue” thing is utter bullshit as well, she’s one of my favorite Pinks to be honest and one of the smarter lead Cures we’ve had to boot (plus it’s not like she’s the only Cure to have the traits I’ve seen people often complain about with her specifically)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Her and Twilight combined annoyed me since they happened so soon together it felt like they just forgot why people liked Setsuna's turn.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HaCha fans on Tumblr were especially vicious to Mana. I saw thinkpieces on how Megumi was a much better person than Mana because she wanted to help people for the sake of helping people, when Mana did it because she liked the feeling that came from being thanked.

Then the two of them met in AllStars and obviously got along great. What the hell motivates these kinds of people?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for all of Glitter Force’s faults I will admit that English Regina was about as perfect as you could probably get (Cherami Leigh did a great job in the role as well)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Casting was never Glitter Force's problem.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah it was more of a script issue along with all the weird cuts/mashups (though there were some surprisingly dark things they actually kept intact)

Justin_Brett posted:

Her and Twilight combined annoyed me since they happened so soon together it felt like they just forgot why people liked Setsuna's turn.

To be honest I kind of liked Twilight more than Towa (aside from an awesome debut fight she was mainly just there for the most part). She’s not bad per se but I just feel like they could have done a lot more with her

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 28, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Towa is one of my favorites. I especially loved her friendship with Kirara.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

The stretch of episodes after Towa joins focused entirely on developing her relationships with the rest of the cast is the best stretch of GoPri. I wish more Precure seasons would do more one-on-one relationship focus episodes, some seasons try but GoPri and Yes 5 are the only ones that really do it well.

Meanwhile Aguri's introductory arc just consists of her berating all the cures one-by-one, it's truly the worst possible foot she could have started off on and I think that alone is what colours 90% of peoples' opinions on her even though past those introductory episodes she's fine.

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 28, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

See, I liked that Aguri started off as kind of a hard rear end. It shook things up, especially after everyone else had become such intimately good friends. It made sense that an outsider wouldn't gel with everyone immediately, and after losing Regina she wouldn't exactly be "y'all are doing GREAT"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Regina not being a cure and Aguri being a cure could of worked out but them immediately taking Regina away and turning her evil after her arc just didn't work. Partly cause it was dumb and her redemption arc was over and it was real good and partly cause it kinda of exposed that nothing happens during the mid season episodes. You figure Mana would of been chomping at the bit to save Regina but it didn't happen cause the episode aired during Summer break and Precure doesn't do big plot stuff during kids summer break

Plus Aguri being a hard rear end wasn't bad but the mid season run was really dominated by 2 generals who meant nothing and got killed off before the main plot started again. And episodes focused on the baby which were not good at all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There were also two generals that for whatever reason got killed off before the series even started and only appear briefly in a flashback:

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Lust

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Goma

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, no plot occurs if you don't count them getting the Lovely Pad and learning the origins of the Selfishness and Cure Empress's team and the legendary weapons that become important later.

Also, they don't rush to rescue Regina because they have no idea where tf she is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And going back to the current series, not sure how legit this is but apparently a toy site has shed a bit of light on our eventual fifth member:

https://magical-toys.com/majesty/

Edit: Looking around it seems that the site itself appears to be legitimate but the picture used is not (it literally says “We’ll get an official picture around June”)

We’ll also have to wait a bit longer for leaks this year (if any come out at all) as it’s been confirmed by the fanbase that Bandai actually got smart for once and DIDN’T put Majesty in the Mirror Pad

Edit2: To be more specific, the site is apparently a magical girl fan blog/news aggregator

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2023

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I can forgive Regina being re-brainwashed being really stupid because I think her second redemption arc is actually better than her first redemption arc lol. The Makopi episode is the best episode of Doki and I like what they do with her and Aguri in the last act

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Tsubasa’s VA recently did an interview where he shared his thoughts on the character and Precure in general:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/03/26-1/ayumu-murase-shares-his-thoughts-on-cure-wing-in-soaring-sky-precure

I also just recently learned this isn’t his first rodeo in regards to the franchise (He voiced the prince in the picture book world during Go Princess 47)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He’s a fan of Cure Flora. Good for him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The woman who saved Sora as a child is apparently named Captain Shalala and presumably has something to do with the Skyland royal family (though they still don’t show her face so the theory about her being a potential enemy if not the big bad of the whole series is still a strong possibility)

I assume this scan means we’ll be getting an episode centered around Sora‘s backstory soon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Cardcaptor Sakura finally returns in anime form as Clear Card is starting back up again (and despite what day it is this appears to be legit):

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/04/01/cardcaptor-sakura-clear-card-sequel-anime-announced

Also the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot resumes on Tuesday

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 1, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kabaton both is smart enough to know to not count the Precure out but dumb enough to fall victim to his own Bannana peel lamo

Anyway good episode, Elle was great, Wing was great and Agaha did stuff too. Good mix of action and cartoon comedy again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Cure Wing makes his debut, a pity he wasn’t the one to land the final blow but his transformation and first fight were still awesome (also seeing him curl up into a ball and roll down the street was adorable)

I like that Ageha is still playing an active role even though she’s not a Cure yet (though I’m guessing her turn will come pretty soon) and I believe this might be the first time we hear the words “Undergu Empire” spoken aloud (also Elle busts out her psychokinetic powers from the first episode again and Kabaton apparently hijacked an actual UFO)

Next Time: Let’s La Cooking

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 2, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

elle uses psychokinesis to save sora in episode 1

i felt a bit sorry for tsubasa in the last episode, struggling so much trying to fly only for both kabaton and elle do it easily
his expression after landing and realizing he flew in this episode was great

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Megamissen posted:

elle uses psychokinesis to save sora in episode 1

i felt a bit sorry for tsubasa in the last episode, struggling so much trying to fly only for both kabaton and elle do it easily
his expression after landing and realizing he flew in this episode was great

Oh yeah, the scene where they just narrowly avoid the standard Precure headbutt

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, new episode titles:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1642460265836056576

I’m guessing we’ll probably see Butterfly by episode 15 at the latest though it’s nice they’re already starting to build up her dynamic with Tsubasa.

12 sounds like it’ll be the end of Kabaton but we’ll see I guess

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wing is my friend and deserves the world.

He also has a good transformation, so hopefully they have the time to re-do Prism's.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in non Precure news the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot officially returned for its second season today

Fun Fact: Ichigo’s mom in the new series is played by Saki Nakajima (the original Ichigo from the previous anime)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 4, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Blue Knight sure does feel like typical Tuxedo Mask clone huh...

Hard to believe it finished up in 2003 just 1 year before the 2004 magical girl shows changed everything

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Honestly I totally believe it considering how deeply Sailor Moon the story is. And I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I just mean that Cure Black and White punching monstermen (And Nanoha shooting bright pink friendship death beams) was a sea change for the Magical Girl genre and you can somewhat readily tell that just from how Tokyo Mew Mew rolls.

Heck, the fact the lead very explicitly has a boyfriend is much less common in more recent big name Magical Girl shows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was Blue Knight in the original anime or manga?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah he was. The remake really isn't changing anything just going through the manga at brisk pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah he was. The remake really isn't changing anything just going through the manga at brisk pace

I believe the only major change the new anime has made so far is Mint being part of the group from the beginning (unless that was the case in the manga as well)

And back to Precure, we have a new title:

14: "To Sky Land! Reunion With That Person You Admire"

So we’ll be getting a trip to Skyland soon it seems (which I assume is where we’ll get some more info on Captain Shalala).

I’m guessing Butterfly’s intro arc will probably be right after this.