Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Man, if there was a hall of fame for video packages, that Rock/Austin WM17 video package would be the first one in. Over 20 years later and people still reference it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

yea ok posted:

spread the wealth

Okay back story so a significant portion of the TJPW crew have had to travel across the entire continent of America in order to get back home
https://twitter.com/kakuta_nao/status/1643242292839342080
https://twitter.com/zacyuki/status/1643037651371720705

Here are the bored tweets:
https://twitter.com/kakuta_nao/status/1643272764063731715
https://twitter.com/suzume_tjpw/status/1643243692700966916
https://twitter.com/doratles/status/1643107836434722818
https://twitter.com/uug_p_raku/status/1643258363852234752
https://twitter.com/zacyuki/status/1643257247269638145
https://twitter.com/zacyuki/status/1643014691843883008
https://twitter.com/doratles/status/1643261139457900546

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1643439516634722305?t=SwuXgRUAkjmLj9kMx1hp9Q&s=19

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I did lol at the crowd outright cheering as an attractive woman called them all disgusting losers. A lot of issues for the crowd to work through.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
That's us.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1643524107215196163

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1643704672799318016

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/tmtmtmx/status/1644661147461902338?t=pAyXZguL0STJ8YFAJq1R6A&s=19

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

A wrestler in their sister promotion almost died in the ring from stiff headbutts. I understand they are crazy but bushiroad might want to ask them to dial it back

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Will I finally get to see a Pom de Justice?

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1644666355583705089

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The bratty goblin duo I never realized I wanted

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

AZMei

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/kiddbanditpro/status/1644808940121886720

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:rip: bandit

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So how would one go about getting into this *checks note on hand* Star Dorn.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It seems like every six months of so somebody puts out a fairly comprehensive 'Beginners Guide to Stardom' video on YouTube detailing in short summaries whoever is in the roster at the time and existing rivalries, so I'd say just seek out a recent one of those and pick a faction or wrestler you like and go from there because the quality of wrestling across the board is generally good. It has become a slightly more complicated process in the past year or so though with the New Blood thing bringing in a lot of freelancers and whatnot.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 9, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

MJeff posted:

https://www.stardom-world.com/ is their VOD service. it is an extremely dogshit service and dogshit promotion to follow in real time. their shows go up there on a 2-3 day delay usually, although sometimes the dude will work hard and put them up the next day, especially if stories are being furthered. their major shows are still PPV but also will go up on a 2-3 day delay. their english language twitter account will spoil every result for you as soon as it happens, as will the jp account, so if spoilers ruin something for you, do not follow.

otherwise, just hop in it takes like 3 shows to really figure out what everyones deal is, the storylines are not very complicated on a surface level, and people will gladly help out with the stuff that is deeper, like for example the whole ice ribbon stuff w/ giulia. i know you're in the VoW discord and the stardom channel there is really good and helpful.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I just remembered that the Stardom episode of The Wrestlers is back up on SBS On Demand for free. I think you might either need to be located in Australia or have a VPN that can convince the website that you are, but it's an interesting time capsule for Stardom from I'm guessing around 2016-2017.

It's a Viceland thing so it's got a bit of a gross and provocative tone to it, but it also has a lot of interesting stuff like training footage, Kris Wolf talking about her experience there as a non-Japanese wrestler, an at the time 14 year old AZM talking about her career and the comparisons with Starlight Kid, and a very vulnerable and in a different place in her life Mayu. It also touches upon the Act Yasukawa vs Yoshiko incident that will inevitably come up if you follow discussion on Stardom long enough.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MJeff posted:

Here's last year's Reddit beginners thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stardomjoshi/comments/s1m4yt/a_beginners_guide_to_stardom_in_2022/

My usual approach is to watch all of the PPV matches and most of the tourney matches, as a lot of what goes up on World are essentially single cam house shows full of low stakes tags. With that said, there are some gems in there so check out matches featuring wrestlers you're into or ones that get positive buzz in the MOTY thread. Basically every big PPV event with proper production since I've started watching has been awesome.

I don't engage with wrestling Twitter and SA isn't too into Stardom so I generally don't run into spoilers even when I wait for events to be up on World.

If you want to see what it's all about last December's Dream Queendom and this year's Triangle Derby finals would be great starting points.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Also definitely check out the finals of the 5* grand prix from October last year. Top to bottom one of the best PPVs I've ever watched. You can't really go wrong with any of stardoms big shows

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Redezga posted:

I just remembered that the Stardom episode of The Wrestlers is back up on SBS On Demand for free. I think you might either need to be located in Australia or have a VPN that can convince the website that you are, but it's an interesting time capsule for Stardom from I'm guessing around 2016-2017.

It's a Viceland thing so it's got a bit of a gross and provocative tone to it, but it also has a lot of interesting stuff like training footage, Kris Wolf talking about her experience there as a non-Japanese wrestler, an at the time 14 year old AZM talking about her career and the comparisons with Starlight Kid, and a very vulnerable and in a different place in her life Mayu. It also touches upon the Act Yasukawa vs Yoshiko incident that will inevitably come up if you follow discussion on Stardom long enough.

I thought it was a pretty fair docu and I bought a Stardom sub out of it. Stardom, tho not as particularly as AWG, leans in heavily to the whole idol thing which is inherently gross and exploitive. At no point is allowing an older male to have sole bodily control over a young person ever ends well.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

yea ok posted:

https://www.stardom-world.com/ is their VOD service. it is an extremely dogshit service and dogshit promotion to follow in real time. their shows go up there on a 2-3 day delay usually, although sometimes the dude will work hard and put them up the next day, especially if stories are being furthered. their major shows are still PPV but also will go up on a 2-3 day delay. their english language twitter account will spoil every result for you as soon as it happens, as will the jp account, so if spoilers ruin something for you, do not follow.

otherwise, just hop in it takes like 3 shows to really figure out what everyones deal is, the storylines are not very complicated on a surface level, and people will gladly help out with the stuff that is deeper, like for example the whole ice ribbon stuff w/ giulia. i know you're in the VoW discord and the stardom channel there is really good and helpful.

I like to think that I'm very good and helpful as well.

I feel like defending Stardom World a little bit - for what is effectively a one man operation they do about as well as you could expect; the issue is more that Bushiroad aren't investing in it so instead Sonny is being worked incredibly hard to do what they've already done - them doing a lot more touring loops rather than sticking to Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya which they did pre-pandemic means that he's editing a lot on the bus and can't upload if the hotel they are staying in isn't very good (which apparently is a thing in Japan outside big cities - wouldn't stun me with what I've heard). Its also 1080P which NJPW World isn't; and that's a big part of why a merger would not be a good thing for someone that likes watching in good quality! The PPV window being three days is also a lot less than the NJPW and WU PPVs have been - if it was significantly longer it'd be a massive negative.

The next big show is next Saturday (15th April) which is the finals of the Cinderella Tournament; their annual knockout tournament where the winner gets a title shot of their choice (and also a fancy dress unless you are Momo Watanabe who they cheaped out on in 2018). Its turned more into a tournament where people they want to elevate win rather than main eventers and with the big Yokohama Arena show coming up the semi-finals are all mid-carders or lower: one semi-final is a tag team who are challenging for the tag titles next week (MIRAI vs Ami Sohrei), the other is Mai Sakurai vs Waka Tsukiyama which is a slightly longer term story: both debuted in AWG in 2020 and jumped to Stardom around the same time, both were originally in Cosmic Angels (Tam Nakano's faction; the dancing idol babyface group) but last January Mai jumped to Donna Del Mundo (Giulia's faction; which is generally a lot more serious) which created tension. The other notable point is that Waka Tsukiyama spent the first year and a half of her Stardom career (and two and a half years of her overall career; removing a 5v5 2 count fall match in AWG which she was barely in) losing literally every match she was in; until she beat Nanae Takahashi last month in a tag match where her Stardom career was on the line and she's been undefeated since; so there's also a big underdog story there. Other notable matches on the show are a DDM vs Cosmic Angels 2/3 falls tag which is both a preview for the Yokohama Arena main event and Himeka's last match teaming with DDM before she retires at Yokohama - Giulia and Tam seem to have been going all out in the preview matches on the house shows so I'd probably expect this to be really rather heated; and Syuri vs Konami which is Konami's first major singles match since she went on a hiatus due to illness in December 2021 (she's facing Waka the day before; which she probably wins) and there's a bit of a protege story there: Konami was Kana/Asuka's only trainee and when she left to WWE early in Konami's career Syuri took her under her ring in REINA for a bit. Probably not an essential show but I'd check it out on Stardom World.

The Yokohama show is the following Sunday (23rd April) and has a bunch of big matches on it - I probably could do a detailed breakdown if there's interest after the Cinderella Tournament in case they add more. The main event is Tam Nakano challenging Giulia for the World Title - probably the biggest match Stardom could put on here; they had a big feud 2020-21 over the Wonder of Stardom Championship (secondary belt - although the gap is a lot closer than in most promotions) which led to Giulia losing her hair and a big part of the feud is Tam being annoyed that Giulia was the person that everyone focused on after that. I wasn't in to their 2020/21 feud but I think Giulia has gotten a lot better since then so I'm hopeful this will be very good. The card as a whole is very deep: lots of outsiders from all over the place (notable for here is probably Mei Suruga teaming with AZM against Starlight Kid and Mei Seira (former Mei Hoshizuki from Marvelous); you've got Prominence defending their Trios Titles against KAIRI, Natsupoi and Saori Anou, Nanae Takahashi and Yuu defending the tag titles etc) - should be a very good show.

Honestly best thing to do to 'get into Stardom' is pick up these two shows and go from there; you can go back to the Triangle Derby finals (very good show; in particular the Giulia-Maya Yukihi and Saya Kamitani-Hazuki matches) and through the Cinderella Tournament (although those are all 10 minute time limit matches with top-rope rules so paced in a very different manner) but you don't need to - Stardom is booked very simply; you don't need a lot of lore perhaps 'these two people feuded before elsewhere and now they are fighting again'; they put the wrestlers in charge of coming up with the stories around the matches which sometimes is good and sometimes, well isn't - and you learn the real galaxybrained wrestlers from that.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Bushiroad has always been happy to spend money to promote wrestling but its always been very targeted. That is to say they focus on advertising njpw/stardom live events within Japan. With the pandemic they clearly cut stuff like media for new japan. New Japan world has a lot of infrastructure carried by TV asahi.

People need to remember how badly the pandemic has hurt wrestling in Japan. Bushiroad has quite a significant slice of the market and they have spent 3 years more or less just breaking even. Cyberagent who are specifically focused on streaming have lost millions of dollars from wrestling.

There just hasn't been a ton of money for Bushiroad to invest without weighing up what gives them the best bang for their buck. Bushiroad will always see that as live attendance.

Not for nothing on the new japan side they have started doing video packages again. So there is signs they are recovering and starting to spend a bit of money again.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Stardom is pretty easy to follow because the roster is unit-based, though most of their gear is less color-coded and more about similar aesthetics. That wreddit thread is pretty outdated though, here's what it's like more recently:

Stars - bright colors/sparkles (faces)
Queen's Quest - elaborate regal patterns (workhorse faces)
Cosmic Angels - lacy/frilly materials (pretty girl models/idols)
•Club Venus - Mina from Cosmic Angels now leads a sub-unit of gaijin (bit more heelish)
Donna Del Mondo - black/white/red, lots of straps (tweener/heelish)
God's Eye - mix of black + cooler shades (workhorse tweeners)
Oedo Tai - black & purple (big heel unit of evil jerks)

Part-time/occasional units:
Color's - aligned with Cosmic Angels, but they run their own indie promotion and show up sporadically
Prominence - hardcore/deathmatch indie that shows up to inflict violence
7Upp - veteran Nanae Takahashi and her beefy hoss freelancers
Rebel X Enemy - spooky gals from Ice Ribbon/Triplesix
Super Strong Stardom Machines - members of other main units moonlighting under the Strong Machine gimmick

There are a few other unaffiliated rookies, plus KAIRI who hasn't joined anyone since returning from WWE.

The main two belts have interchangeable top status (think pre-unified IWGP), but represent different philosophies: World of Stardom (red) is the best wrestler/hardest worker belt. Wonder of Stardom (white) is the heart/passion/emotion belt. Goddess = Tag belts. Artist = Trios belts. High Speed is fast/flashy matches, and the belt was revived from a dead promotion (NEO). The SWA belt was made for an international alliance of promotions and can only be challenged by someone of a different nationality from the champion, but that was hard to do over the pandemic so it gets vacated a lot.

The developmental show New Blood also has the Future of Stardom belt, which can only be held by someone under 20 or with less than 3 years rookie experience. They've also very recently added New Blood Tag Team belts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I hadn't realised Mei Seira was Mei Hoshizuki. I'd totally missed her leaving Marvelous. Or just erased it from my memory if I had known it

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
The new Up Up Girls music video is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quffdVv0oDs

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Bonk posted:

Stars - bright colors/sparkles (faces)
Queen's Quest - elaborate regal patterns (workhorse faces)
Cosmic Angels - lacy/frilly materials (pretty girl models/idols)
•Club Venus - Mina from Cosmic Angels now leads a sub-unit of gaijin (bit more heelish)
Donna Del Mondo - black/white/red, lots of straps (tweener/heelish)
God's Eye - mix of black + cooler shades (workhorse tweeners)
Oedo Tai - black & purple (big heel unit of evil jerks)

I disagree that God's Eye are tweeners. Konami is the most tweenerish of the group, and she's part time. Otherwise they follow Syuri's lead of being honorable "Strong Style" types. Hell, Syuri is one of the purest babyfaces on the roster. Look at her recent match with Miyu Amasaki where Syuri beat her into paste and then reenacted the Pietà.

quote:

7Upp - veteran Nanae Takahashi and her beefy hoss freelancers.

I think they're Neo STARDOM Army and 7Upp is the tag team? It's a nice touch using the old STARDOM logo for their chyrons.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Power Windows posted:

I disagree that God's Eye are tweeners. Konami is the most tweenerish of the group, and she's part time. Otherwise they follow Syuri's lead of being honorable "Strong Style" types. Hell, Syuri is one of the purest babyfaces on the roster. Look at her recent match with Miyu Amasaki where Syuri beat her into paste and then reenacted the Pietà.
I was mostly going by their origins in DDM and still occasionally being aligned with them, but the honor thing is definitely more faceish.

quote:

I think they're Neo STARDOM Army and 7Upp is the tag team? It's a nice touch using the old STARDOM logo for their chyrons.
You're right, I was thinking Mizumori counted as part of 7Upp, and since we haven't seen Manase or Alpha Female recently, in my head I was separating the two.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Oedo Tai have soften somewhat since post-Kagetsu leadership too. Still a "heel" group by Stardom standards (plays to win, not for honour), but they're less about hanging Mayu by her neck from a balcony or crushing Mayu's head under falling lighting rigging these days, and more about smoking in the girls room (invisible cigarettes) and doing tiktok dances (old Oedo Tai loved to dance too though, lol).

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cosmic angels are a fascinating stable because on the surface it's frilly girls doing idols things but it's very heavily influenced by Tam who is an insane person so there is this undercurrent of madness.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Tam being a violent maniac with the most brutal finisher in Stardom was probably the biggest surprise when I started watching. She looks like her offense would be blowing glitter into her opponents' face and making them fall asleep or something.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Cosmic angels are a fascinating stable because on the surface it's frilly girls doing idols things but it's very heavily influenced by Tam who is an insane person so there is this undercurrent of madness.

Adding to this, despite being the frilly idol group, almost every member is in their mid thirties with Natsupoi being the youngest at 27. Average age-wise I think they might actually be the oldest faction in Stardom.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 11, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/P__Wrestling/status/1645717825745563650

This wasn't very nice, MuhNAY

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I can't imagine a single person that would be like "I'm glad someone did that to Mayu", nor do I want to know that person if they exist.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Redezga posted:

Oedo Tai have soften somewhat since post-Kagetsu leadership too. Still a "heel" group by Stardom standards (plays to win, not for honour), but they're less about hanging Mayu by her neck from a balcony or crushing Mayu's head under falling lighting rigging these days, and more about smoking in the girls room (invisible cigarettes) and doing tiktok dances (old Oedo Tai loved to dance too though, lol).

That changed when Natusko was injured. SLK became the de facto group leader and they cut out the constant DQs and heavy emphasis on weapons. Ruaka still used her road case and Momo used the wrench, but every match wasn't about plunder.

imo, it made Oedo Tai more interesting and fun since it wasn't all about HEEEEEAAAT. Since Natsuko's been back, they've been regressing somewhat.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Bonk posted:

You're right, I was thinking Mizumori counted as part of 7Upp, and since we haven't seen Manase or Alpha Female recently, in my head I was separating the two.

tbf the trio with Yunamon is "7Uppp"

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
OK yeah, that's what my brain was trying to parse. I'm not sure if Neo Stardom Army is still a thing without the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MSVprjoeIs

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Why can't I shake the feeling that Mercedes is going to spend the next 2 weeks clowning Mayu and then win the match?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the icon of stardom will reign supreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I believe in you Mayu. your side pony tail is super retrocute