Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hooah posted:

Is there any inexpensive way to get rid of a cracked fish tank? Our trash company won't do a bulky pick-up because their claw thing would probably just shatter the class. A local dump is charging like $45, and another place requires a hard hat and reflective vest, neither of which I have.

just dump it in an apartment/store's dumpster at like 10pm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

Is there any inexpensive way to get rid of a cracked fish tank? Our trash company won't do a bulky pick-up because their claw thing would probably just shatter the class. A local dump is charging like $45, and another place requires a hard hat and reflective vest, neither of which I have.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Take a hammer to it?

hooah posted:

And then what?

Presumably smash it into smaller pieces and bag them up securely? It's a little dangerous, a little stupid, and a lot messy, but it sounds like you want the cheap option. You could look up disposal services like https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en/how-our-pricing-works, but you're not walking away for cheaper than $45. You can go online and purchase a hardhat and reflective vest, but if you want the real deal, again, you're going to be above $45 for sure.

If you are going to do the smash thing, maybe wrap in a layer or two of duct tape. No need to injure dumpster divers/trash collectors.

Failing that though, have you tried putting a sign on it that says "FREE" and setting it on the curb? A piece of paper with FREE on it will get it out of your hair in no time flat. If the crack is obvious probably no need to add that to the note, but if it is small or subtle, maybe add that to the note.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 3, 2023

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hooah posted:

Wrap the whole thing in an old blanket and smash it. Open the blanket and put the broken glass in old boxes, seal and dump.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can try the free label. But you're right, we may just need to suck it up and pay for the removal. Even though we got this for free (and even erroneously since it was misadvertised on Facebook and wasn't actually bigger than what we already had. But that's a gripe for my wife).

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

hooah posted:

I can't imagine a hi-viz and a hard hat together costing anything to really speak of. Certainly less than $45. Just buy the cheapest ones you can find, or if you want to be really cheap, see if you can pinch/borrow from work if they have them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CzarChasm posted:

Failing that though, have you tried putting a sign on it that says "FREE" and setting it on the curb? A piece of paper with FREE on it will get it out of your hair in no time flat. If the crack is obvious probably no need to add that to the note, but if it is small or subtle, maybe add that to the note.

If it lasts for two nights with a FREE sign, take it back in for a week, then put it back with a sign that says "$50" and a fake phone number.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Do wild/ urban brown rats poo poo in a sort of designated/ hidden way like cats, or just wherever they feel like?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

CzarChasm posted:

You can go online and purchase a hardhat and reflective vest, but if you want the real deal, again, you're going to be above $45 for sure.

I don't know what you mean by "the real deal" but you can pick up ANSI compliant hard hat and vest for under $20 delivered on Amazon. I've bought a bunch to bring as spares for guys taking their Fork/MEWPS/AEWPS classes and just let them keep them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

First, cover all the glass with strips of duct tape. You can do both sides if you want but just the outside should be fine. When it's completely covered, take it outside, place it on a spread out newspaper and break it with a hammer. While wearing leather work gloves, place the broken pieces into a heavy duty trash bag (you'll likely need to go to a hardware store instead of the grocery store to buy this, look for bags with a thickness of 3 mil or higher. They'll usually be labeled "contractor bags").

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Save a step, op, and just take it directly to your nearest body of moving water and chuck it in

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ironhead posted:

I don't know what you mean by "the real deal" but you can pick up ANSI compliant hard hat and vest for under $20 delivered on Amazon. I've bought a bunch to bring as spares for guys taking their Fork/MEWPS/AEWPS classes and just let them keep them.

Why do I need to connect my hardhat to telnet?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BC, Canada.

Anyone know an inexpensive way to find out if a relative is dead? Nobody in the family has heard from my dad in years. He'd be 73, so not unreasonable that he might just be dead. But death records in BC don't become public until 20 years after death. He has never had any social media presence, probably due to sexual charge involving a minor (not me) 35 years ago, or maybe just paranoia from smoking a lot of weed for a long time. A few months ago his brother asked if I'd heard from him, apparently he's just dropped off the face of the earth.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

tight aspirations posted:

Do wild/ urban brown rats poo poo in a sort of designated/ hidden way like cats, or just wherever they feel like?

As a professional animal janitor, rats don't hide their poo poo, but they prefer out of the way, safe spaces, and will keep making GBS threads in the same place once they've successfully dropped a few

You can actually take their poo poo and move it to a different area and they'll poo poo there, instead

So, sure, yeah, they are like cats, without the burying instinct

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Facebook Aunt posted:

BC, Canada.

Anyone know an inexpensive way to find out if a relative is dead? Nobody in the family has heard from my dad in years. He'd be 73, so not unreasonable that he might just be dead. But death records in BC don't become public until 20 years after death. He has never had any social media presence, probably due to sexual charge involving a minor (not me) 35 years ago, or maybe just paranoia from smoking a lot of weed for a long time. A few months ago his brother asked if I'd heard from him, apparently he's just dropped off the face of the earth.

Maybe you could search the local paper(s) where he lives for an obituary? Do they do obituaries in Canada?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

BC, Canada.

Do you know where he lived? You could maybe ask the neighbours if they'd seen him move one way or another? Also check if death records are unavailable to next of kin, that might be an exception

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

postmodifier posted:

As a professional animal janitor, rats don't hide their poo poo, but they prefer out of the way, safe spaces, and will keep making GBS threads in the same place once they've successfully dropped a few

You can actually take their poo poo and move it to a different area and they'll poo poo there, instead

So, sure, yeah, they are like cats, without the burying instinct

That's great, really helpful, thanks!

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Facebook Aunt posted:

BC, Canada.

They're not public record for 20 years, but you can request a certificate directly from the BC government as long as you have a valid reason for asking for it. Costs like 30 bucks, you just have to know the name, birthday and last address of the person

Lexis-nexis operates in Canada, so if you know someone with access to it, you can figure out where he's been living and call a neighbor or something to find out what's up

Sorry, either way

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Maybe you could search the local paper(s) where he lives for an obituary? Do they do obituaries in Canada?
Only when paid, unless the person is notable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver Falcon posted:

We have 2 provincial papers, I checked them both. But obituaries aren't automatic except for famous people, usually a relative has to post them. It was a plot point in Glass Onion.

postmodifier posted:

They're not public record for 20 years, but you can request a certificate directly from the BC government as long as you have a valid reason for asking for it. Costs like 30 bucks, you just have to know the name, birthday and last address of the person

Thanks, I'll look into it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Why do British websites use .co.uk rather than just .uk?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

Why do British websites use .co.uk rather than just .uk?
Weird historical reasons, basically. Country codes are managed by some entity in the country, in the UK that's Nominet UK. They set the rules that .co.uk would be for commercial entities and gave out domains there. In 2014 they opened up .uk, but by then everyone was used to .co.uk, so that's still the primary/default one in everybody's mind.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of UK things... What do you call "#"?

I was reading something where they refer to "£" as "the pound sign". Ok, makes sense, that's what it is, right? But over here, "#" was (and still is) known as the pound sign, especially when you're calling some automated phone system. An example is checking the voicemail at my job, the Verizon computer woman voice says, "please enter your password, followed by the pound sign", so you press 1234#.

Do automated phone things call it a pound sign over there? Are you classy and call it an octothorpe? Do you not really use that key on your phone?

Just a stupid/small question!

Edit: just to add to the poster looking to ditch a cracked aquarium ---- people who keep snakes and reptiles will often take cracked tanks off your hands, as they don't need them to be watertight. Guess it depends how cracked it is, but might be worth putting on CL or FB with a bunch of keywords that would get hits from herpetology fans.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 5, 2023

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

'hash' seems to be it afaik

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not at all what you're asking, but in Denmark, it's called either hashtag (hashtag), firkant (square) or havelåge (garden gate). Guess which one is new and gaining traction while pissing off boomers...

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Trapick posted:

Weird historical reasons, basically. Country codes are managed by some entity in the country, in the UK that's Nominet UK. They set the rules that .co.uk would be for commercial entities and gave out domains there. In 2014 they opened up .uk, but by then everyone was used to .co.uk, so that's still the primary/default one in everybody's mind.

Weird, thanks

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

It's always an octothorpe, op

But yeah it's pretty much called "number sign" or "hash" in most non-US areas for the purposes of phone menus and the like

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BonHair posted:

Not at all what you're asking, but in Denmark, it's called either hashtag (hashtag), firkant (square) or havelåge (garden gate). Guess which one is new and gaining traction while pissing off boomers...

Those boomers and their hatred of squares; it's not the 60s anymore!!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Reading the schadenfreude thread and as usual there's some broke brained right winger complaining about this woke company or another.

I'm sure they haven't given it any thought at all, but are these idiots saying that they consider themselves "asleep"?

Yes, I know, "woke" is just shorthand for "acknowledging people I don't like, but specifically LGBTQ+"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I think of it as being similar to how you might perceive an LSD user talking about how The Universe is whispering to him the secrets of consciousness and how you just need to open your mind, man.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Any group or movement can come up with a name for itself that sounds unequivocally good and, if you oppose it, lets them ask the question "why does this jerk hate [good thing]?" For example, pro-life.

That being said, use of the word "woke" is beyond parody at this point and i wouldn't expect any introspection from the idiots that whine about it all day. It was never even used much by the supposed woke people before it became a boogeyman.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got a bit of a closer look at the anti-woke brigade than I'd normally like, in the form of reviews on my game, Waves of Steel (it upsets them because you can choose to put pride flags on your ship, instead of just national flags). My favorite of these was the reviewer that was absolutely convinced that all the "woke poo poo" was added by either college-age interns or the evil publishers, because nobody who cared about warships as much as the developers clearly do would ever voluntarily add that stuff to their game. :allears:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What is NAFO

Edit:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I got a bit of a closer look at the anti-woke brigade than I'd normally like, in the form of reviews on my game, Waves of Steel (it upsets them because you can choose to put pride flags on your ship, instead of just national flags). My favorite of these was the reviewer that was absolutely convinced that all the "woke poo poo" was added by either college-age interns or the evil publishers, because nobody who cared about warships as much as the developers clearly do would ever voluntarily add that stuff to their game. :allears:

Seems a bit of a strange complaint about the very serious game where you can kick flip your disco laser light battleship

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 6, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ilmucche posted:

What is NAFO

Not much what's NAFO with you?

I have zero strong opinions on them but every time they end up in my field of view it's cringy poo poo like this.

Edit: Content warning, there might be footage of soldiers getting hit by bombs in this video. I don't know. I've never made it to the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMhme6tgfIY

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 6, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I feel dumber having learned this

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's probably a subforum for this but I don't even know where to start looking:
I'm hoping to put together a poster, maybe A2 sized, featuring ~80 identically-sized square photos of local bird species.
I got three photos in to manually creating the grid in Publisher, and decided "nope."
Is there some way of instantly generating a printable grid of a big pile of photos??? Help

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tree Bucket posted:

Is there some way of instantly generating a printable grid of a big pile of photos??? Help

You want to look into tools to make a contact sheet. Those are identically sized photos in a grid. I don't know what the current options are, but I do remember what they're called!

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

https://rasterbator.net/ - like that?

Edit: I guess that's one image printed on multiple pages, kinda the opposite.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Stupid Eminem Question

Why, Mr. Mathers, did you feel the need to :nms:rip Pamela Lee's tits off and then slap her so hard that you knocked her clothes backwards like Kriss Kross:nms:? What did Pamela Lee ever do to you?

Anyone else is welcome to answer this question if Chocolate Candy Man is too cowardly to answer

olives black fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mllaneza posted:

You want to look into tools to make a contact sheet. Those are identically sized photos in a grid. I don't know what the current options are, but I do remember what they're called!

Great! Thanks, that should be very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

olives black posted:

Stupid Eminem Question

Why, Mr. Mathers, did you feel the need to :nms:rip Pamela Lee's tits off and then slap her so hard that you knocked her clothes backwards like Kriss Kross:nms:? What did Pamela Lee ever do to you?

Anyone else is welcome to answer this question if Chocolate Candy Man is too cowardly to answer

I don't think he ever had a particular beef with Pamela Lee (or Kriss Kross), he just really liked to say shocking stuff that rhymed. He has something of a streak with saying reprehensible things about female celebrities.