Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I wandered around my local botanical garden this morning for the first time in a while and it was so inspiring. It’s not a huge place in a huge city, but it has a super dedicated and engaged community around it and it really shows. I need to get involved with volunteering there because I know I would learn a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I just planted a couple of sticks baby redbuds and left in the bamboo stakes that were in the planters

Are those fine while my sweet little babies settle in, or would I be better off removing them and/or replacing with other supports?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dupersaurus posted:

I just planted a couple of sticks baby redbuds and left in the bamboo stakes that were in the planters

Are those fine while my sweet little babies settle in, or would I be better off removing them and/or replacing with other supports?

I like to leave them in for about a week or two to help add support after planting, but you have to take them off sooner rather than later

not only is it beneficial for the saplings to get moved around by the wind to strengthen their trunks, but the stake and tape will start to bite into the growing tree after a few weeks, creating sites for injury and infection/fungal growth and ugly bumps in the trunk at best, and girdling the tree at worst.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I forgot if fruit tree poo poo goes in this thread or the Gardening thread.

gently caress it, I'll crosspost it here anyway. Please tell me how to keep squirrels from stealing my peaches.

My peach trees set their first fruits last year, but only one single peach (between two trees) stayed on the branch long enough to fully ripen, and it loving vanished right before I got to pick it. :argh: This year both trees are putting out a lot more fruits and I wanna keep em all from getting stoled by fuckin rodents or whatever the gently caress else steals peaches so I can actually eat one of them this time.

How do I protect my fuckin peaches?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

gently caress it, I'll crosspost it here anyway. Please tell me how to keep squirrels from stealing my peaches.

My peach trees set their first fruits last year, but only one single peach (between two trees) stayed on the branch long enough to fully ripen, and it loving vanished right before I got to pick it. :argh: This year both trees are putting out a lot more fruits and I wanna keep em all from getting stoled by fuckin rodents or whatever the gently caress else steals peaches so I can actually eat one of them this time.

You can try mesh bags around them. Should help with chipmunks. Not sure if it would stop deer.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

You don't follow advice super well so I'll follow you here to say again:

mischief posted:

Choose violence. I'm perfectly happy with all kinds of critters on our property but the little bushy tailed assholes get the dirt nap.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BigFactory posted:

You can try mesh bags around them. Should help with chipmunks. Not sure if it would stop deer.

We don't have deer where I live. We have squirrels and raccoons, but not deer.

Soul Dentist posted:

mischief posted:

Choose violence. I'm perfectly happy with all kinds of critters on our property but the little bushy tailed assholes get the dirt nap.

Aww man, that post was part of the reason I came to this thread. I don't wanna kill the squirrels. I don't want them eating my peaches but I don't want to loving murder them either. They're squirrels. :smith:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Just grow more peaches. The two 10 or 11 footers at my mother's house crap out enough peaches every year that she has to beg people to come take them and she still ends up throwing a bunch into the woods to get the bees drunk.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Picked up a Philodendron hastatum the other day. It already has some really cool mature leaves. I'm trying to take better care of my climbers -- has anyone here built a moss pole? I was thinking of putting sphagnum moss inside this PVC-coated steel mesh: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-Mesh-x-2-ft-x-5-ft-19-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Green-PVC-Coated-Hardware-Cloth-308253EB/205960854

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
When I did some reading about moss poles, I came to the conclusion they were mostly a gimmick and not the easiest thing to maintain, as the moss is kept moist and then molds/rots. I ended up making a burlap pole (just wrap PVC in burlap fabric). You could also just use a good stick/branch or wood plank. Stores sell birch branches seasonally that can work well for this. Moss poles can be good if you're trying to grow little plants at all levels of the pole, but for something like a philo that draws water from the roots/soil, I don't think there's much benefit to a moss pole unless you particularly enjoy the look and smell of wire and (dead) sphagnum. Still, if you want to go that route, I think what you linked would work.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oohh, a plank. I forgot about those. That is probably what I'll go with. I just want the thing to climb so that it keeps putting out mature leaves.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Depends on how big you need the pole to be, but I've used copper refrigeration coil for my plants that need poo poo to climb up. It's soft enough to bend into whatever shape you want by hand but stiff enough for a plant to grow up, it looks decent, and you can get a 20' roll for about $30 at Home Depot or whatever.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Some absolute rear end in a top hat stole my goddamn hyacinths. Checked the doorbell cam, some chick came by at 11pm pulled up a daffodil bulb and all, then came back a min later and took two hyacinths. Had a huge plastic bag with her so I assume she hit a few houses on the block. What a complete psychopath.

In other news, some of my bare root plants are sprouting. I'd been getting worried since I've caught squirrels digging all over the area, but most of the roots seem to still be there when I've checked so I've decided to not worry about it too much. I have 2/4 hostas showing up, and at least 2/15 lily of the valleys (I didn't realize they were 5 to a bag). Does anyone have any vague idea when I should start seeing shoots come up from ferns, astilabe, clematis, or toad lily? I'm probably going to obsessively poke at them regardless, but it would be great to have a timeline for when I should assume they're dead or eaten. These were all planted about 3-4 weeks ago, and its been a wet warm spring so far with 2 near freezing days.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
if someone did that to me I'd be on a bloodlust rampage, kicking in doors, spittle and phlegm rocketing from my screaming mouth and atop the faces of my many innocent targets until I found the ABSOLUTE SCUM who hurt my babies. i like plants too much probably idk

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Honestly that was my Sunday, there are some flyers printed up with the super blurry image of them (she even brought a lookout) that say "missing plants? Probably these guys". Someone in the neighborhood will recognize them.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mounted one of my sporlings. I'm so excited!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Some absolute rear end in a top hat stole my goddamn hyacinths. Checked the doorbell cam, some chick came by at 11pm pulled up a daffodil bulb and all, then came back a min later and took two hyacinths. Had a huge plastic bag with her so I assume she hit a few houses on the block. What a complete psychopath.

In other news, some of my bare root plants are sprouting. I'd been getting worried since I've caught squirrels digging all over the area, but most of the roots seem to still be there when I've checked so I've decided to not worry about it too much. I have 2/4 hostas showing up, and at least 2/15 lily of the valleys (I didn't realize they were 5 to a bag). Does anyone have any vague idea when I should start seeing shoots come up from ferns, astilabe, clematis, or toad lily? I'm probably going to obsessively poke at them regardless, but it would be great to have a timeline for when I should assume they're dead or eaten. These were all planted about 3-4 weeks ago, and its been a wet warm spring so far with 2 near freezing days.

I was talking with one of my buddies who used to work landscaping about this and he said that there's a solid chunk of shady landscapers who will just go steal plants, then sell them to rich people they are doing the landscaping for because the rich people LOVE getting a good deal and not asking questions

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Mounted one of my sporlings. I'm so excited!

Whooooah can you say more? This is so cool.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Guildenstern Mother posted:

This is bizarre and insane. Who the gently caress does that lol. Maybe she’s a crazy Karen that hates the smell. Some people think hyacinths smell like bleach/cum and some daffodils don’t smell great?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

. Some people think hyacinths smell like bleach/cum
Only people with peeping toms in their bushes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m gonna spend the rest of the day thinking about this crazy lady

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A potted English ivy disappeared off my porch once. It's a loving weed. It grows everywhere. We had so many better plants to steal than that. The only reason we even had it was because it was from my wife's grandmother's house.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is bizarre and insane. Who the gently caress does that lol. Maybe she’s a crazy Karen that hates the smell. Some people think hyacinths smell like bleach/cum and some daffodils don’t smell great?

What are the odds they only had one daffodil and two hyacinths? I've never seen them sold singly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah she didn't clear me out entirely. I still have 1 hyacinth and a few daffodils We just bought the house in August so I don't have a ton of landscaping in, but these were my first bulbs and so I'm extra sad.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
they do smell like cum tho

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Chard posted:

im planning to put out some straw beds for wine caps/garden giant mushrooms. anyone have experience with those or tips on where beds do best?

I was wanting to do wine caps in the garden this year but I've been traveling so no joy. Usual advice I've seen is *fresh* wood chips, not too finely ground, and keep a shade cloth on while they get started to keep out pests/keep in moisture. No personal experience though so ymmv. Would love to know how it goes.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I did wine caps but wasn't too crazy about them so haven't kept up on the maintenance. I just broke up the spawn and added 3 inches or so of wood chips on top. Think they were just free chips from the city after an ice storm.

Put them in my shady side yard area.
Watered occasionally during the summer but it's plenty wet here in western Oregon otherwise. Plenty of mushrooms but the slugs get to em pretty quick and I didn't love the texture. I'm spoiled by the foraged mushrooms around here though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ade there any planting apps that are recommended? My wife wants to really get into planting now that we have a real yard and a bunch of space for indoor plants too. She does have a pretty brown thumb (same for me) and is also forgetful, so our plants tend to suffer.

Features wishlist:
-feeding and watering reminders
-photo id of plant problems (Do these tend to be accurate?)
-notes and/or picture documenting

It can be a paid app, too, just as long as it supports two users on the same account.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

happy tree times my droogs it’s spring

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My New Zealand Lemonade tree won't hang onto its lemons at all, and it's really pissing me off. I hand pollinate the flowers as they appear. Could it be I'm not watering the tree enough? Or it's not getting enough light?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

That Old Ganon posted:

My New Zealand Lemonade tree won't hang onto its lemons at all, and it's really pissing me off. I hand pollinate the flowers as they appear. Could it be I'm not watering the tree enough? Or it's not getting enough light?
Maybe it's down to the fertilizer balance. If there's more nitrogen than others, the tree will favor growth over things like flowering and carrying things to term. It might also need to be more established before it feels like it's capable to do so.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'm trying to re-pot an orphan jade plant I got recently. It was clearly dug out of a yard, and has other plants tagging along that would be neat if I could save as well, but I need some help identifying whatever the hell I'm looking at here:

These are the friends:

There's some diseased leaves but otherwise the jade appears healthy:

So what is that stuff in the soil? It almost looks like fiberglass and not moss, but I have no clue. I'm also generally pretty bad with plants in general and only winging it with the rest of the small succulents that I have.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

I'm trying to re-pot an orphan jade plant I got recently. It was clearly dug out of a yard, and has other plants tagging along that would be neat if I could save as well, but I need some help identifying whatever the hell I'm looking at here:

These are the friends:

So what is that stuff in the soil? It almost looks like fiberglass and not moss, but I have no clue. I'm also generally pretty bad with plants in general and only winging it with the rest of the small succulents that I have.

Is that cat poo poo in the top picture?

Maybe a fungus?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 16, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
slugs and some fungus from my cursory glance, and some other centipede looking loving thing

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'd say the "fiberglass" is some fungus but that's where my guess ends. Those slugs are bad for plants and you want to get them out. The millipede looks like a regular "Greenhouse Millipede" and those are actually good for the soil, if you can tolerate their presence. In my experience they do not escape into the house (unlike earthworms). In a pot that Jade is not going to tolerate being in overwatered soggy soil like it has been. I think I'd try to bare-root it to the greatest extent possible and re-pot it into a gritty mix.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

These are the friends:

is it rockwool or something similar, by any chance?

these are used in the cultivation process as a medium for hydroponic growing. Basically, before your jade plant was in the nursery pot that you bought it in, it was either a cutting or- more likely- tissue culture and grown up hydroponically. Then when it got to a certain size it was popped out of its hydro pot and potted in soil to be grown up more, until it was finally ready for sale. Oftentimes the hydro medium is all wrapped up in the roots and the whole mess is repotted together. Same thing goes for the weird fabric stuff that you often see wrapped around the roots of certain tropical houseplants, which is supposed to biodegrade but often does not and can occasionally cause big problems for the plant down the road if you don't eventually take it all off and clean it out of the root mass.

When you eventually repot your jade into a more suitable soil (it won't like being stuck in nursery/big box store soil that prioritizes water-holding forever) just make sure to clean it out but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem unless it's choking the roots and/or causing moisture or rot/fungus issues. If it's making big wet spots in the soil and preventing good drainage then clean it out, but jades are hardy and you can probably take your time with it as long as you water and light and ventilate correctly

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

is it rockwool or something similar, by any chance?

Definitely looks like rockwool to me too.

The hitchhiker plants are weeds I'd say. They all look like the crap that blows around my yard and I have to pick out of every surface before they try to outcompete my vegetable garden.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

So we just purchased a house and all the existing outdoor plants are non-native, overgrown, or ugly as sin. The house was owned by a little old lady and has some established landscaping from the 1980s, but things look like they have been mostly ignored for at least the past few years. We’re planning to tear out a about 75-90% of the existing plants, but won’t have the means to do that until next year. Is it even worth mulching and keeping up on the weeding this year in anticipation of next year?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One year's seeds, seven years' weeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kreeningsons posted:

So we just purchased a house and all the existing outdoor plants are non-native, overgrown, or ugly as sin. The house was owned by a little old lady and has some established landscaping from the 1980s, but things look like they have been mostly ignored for at least the past few years. We’re planning to tear out a about 75-90% of the existing plants, but won’t have the means to do that until next year. Is it even worth mulching and keeping up on the weeding this year in anticipation of next year?

Yeah keep it up with mulching weeding. Not only will it be easier to deal with in the long run, but your neighbors will thank you and if you don't actually get around to redoing the landscaping next year then it won't look like complete poo poo.