Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Inspector Hound posted:

Solar panel

e did he start filming just in case the dot on the horizon was another plane about to slam into him head on

think so, i think they spotted it first then started recording...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i want 2 believe

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

helta posted:

think so, i think they spotted it first then started recording...

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i am harry posted:

consciousness persists past the death of a body, and thus the life lived by that body is totally meaningless and infinitely small

conclusion does not follow from premise.

perhaps from the perspective of the small, limited, mortal conscious mind that mind's existence appears meaningless in the face of god and the infinite, but you can draw a bit of increased perspective (even though your conception will be necessarily woefully unequipped) if you ask what this consciousness persists within, as it clearly isn't this mundane reality. if you start from this premise, your conclusions become radically different.

surprise surprise, the conclusions drawn by people having near death experiences, especially those that have a near brush with the infinite, have a different conception of what you're calling meaningless.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

i am harry posted:

either consciousness persists past the death of a body, and thus the life lived by that body is totally meaningless and infinitely small
or consciousness ends with the death of a body and the universe is a completely pointless and bullshit cycle of things popping into being, suffering, and then popping back out again

Consciousness survives bodily death, but it doesn't follow that an incarnated life is "totally meaningless".

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Beaten by seconds! drat you, Hooplah!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

identified object... not a ufo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've found that the most interesting art I make comes when I give myself artificial limitations on my methods

Unlimited options can paralyze you, you need constraints to fight against to really push yourself

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Both are opposite ends on the spectrum of immeasurable beauty

I’m not impressed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am harry posted:

I’m not impressed

Well you either rejoin an unimaginable infinity or nothing happens.

Or maybe endless torture though that one seems a bit silly.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
Was kindergarten pointless just because it only lasted a year?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SKY

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

nah

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

TRASH

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this is a place full of beauty you say, while literally countless life forms are eaten alive. I reject that.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i am harry posted:

this is a place full of beauty you say, while literally countless life forms are eaten alive. I reject that.

if death comes so cheap then the same goes for life

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Existence is awesome in the classical sense

And beautiful things can also be terrifying

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

there's a pretty good 50s sf story which iirc has the word "microcosmic" in the title about a scientist who kicks off a petri dish world and is horrified when things get real. like a proto-sand kings, if you remember that story by george rr martin

not from the 50’s but I think Greg Bear’s Blood Music used this same concept

except the main character injects the stuff into his bloodstream and the little petri dish organisms get exponentially intelligent and things get wild

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've found that the most interesting art I make comes when I give myself artificial limitations on my methods

Unlimited options can paralyze you, you need constraints to fight against to really push yourself

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy working with pixel art. Constraints can be wonderful conduits for creativity.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

i am harry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym4Rpd72tq8

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?

Also, I'm not terribly thrilled to be the one to ask this as I really don't wish to draw undue attention to myself, but am I really the only person in this thread who has had an NDE? I've really been hoping that someone else would come forward so that I could chime in, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

During the summer of 1993 I fell off of my bike while not wearing a helmet and sustained a Grade 3 concussion (I was 16 at the time). I believe that I turned too sharply in a cul-de-sac (retrograde amnesia from this has made me less than 100% certain). What I do remember, though, is that from the time that I was struck unconscious, to the time that I came to, that I was clearly aware of what had happened and that I was no longer on the proper plane of existence (I fell off the bike and was embarrassed that I had ended up "here" too soon, wherever "here" was).

I don't remember seeing as much as feeling. No great light, no relatives, nothing of the sort (granted, I was young and had very few relatives who had passed on at the time). It was an immediate transferal of consciousness to a larger form of awareness. I was aware of others who were not myself, and asked if I were dead, disappointed that I'd messed up so soon.

I was told no, that I wasn't dead, and that I needed to go back.

I came to in the street, grit and asphalt in my mouth, a huge scratch on my glasses, and was confused when I touched my head and my fingers came back bloody.

I used to be an atheist, but I cannot deny the experiences that I've had and continue to have, and question still that which happens to me.

Enough about me, though. Back to birds.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Lackey posted:

Also, I'm not terribly thrilled to be the one to ask this as I really don't wish to draw undue attention to myself, but am I really the only person in this thread who has had an NDE? I've really been hoping that someone else would come forward so that I could chime in, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

During the summer of 1993 I fell off of my bike while not wearing a helmet and sustained a Grade 3 concussion (I was 16 at the time). I believe that I turned too sharply in a cul-de-sac (retrograde amnesia from this has made me less than 100% certain). What I do remember, though, is that from the time that I was struck unconscious, to the time that I came to, that I was clearly aware of what had happened and that I was no longer on the proper plane of existence (I fell off the bike and was embarrassed that I had ended up "here" too soon, wherever "here" was).

I don't remember seeing as much as feeling. No great light, no relatives, nothing of the sort (granted, I was young and had very few relatives who had passed on at the time). It was an immediate transferal of consciousness to a larger form of awareness. I was aware of others who were not myself, and asked if I were dead, disappointed that I'd messed up so soon.

I came to in the street, grit and asphalt in my mouth, a huge scratch on my glasses, and was confused when I touched my head and my fingers came back bloody.

I used to be an atheist, but I cannot deny the experiences that I've had and continue to have, and question still that which happens to me.

theres a shitload of nde chat itt i think perry mason jar is ya boi on that one

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

either consciousness persists past the death of a body, and thus the life lived by that body is totally meaningless and infinitely small
or consciousness ends with the death of a body and the universe is a completely pointless and bullshit cycle of things popping into being, suffering, and then popping back out again

Why does anything need "a point"?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's one other NDE goon here. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: not me, I've never had one. Someone else shared in the thread, on mobile and too lazy to search for whom sorry. I know one person who's had one, personally. I just know a lot about them.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Apr 6, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I want to say that endocriminologist had an NDE (though I don't think they've talked too much about it) and I'm pretty sure someone else chimed in to say they did as well, but I can't remember who.

Regardless, thanks for piping up!! I'm always super-stoked to hear directly from people who've had one.

What was your impression of those "others"? And when you say "larger form of awareness", do you mean that your state of consciousness had changed? Many NDErs report being able to think much more quickly/clearly, being aware of much more than they usually are, stuff like that. Would any of that apply?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh yeah if you haven't submitted to nderf.org please do so! If you have, please share it here. The questionnaire is great

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sometimes I think I have a vague memory of a story my mom told me about me talking about what it was like before I was born. But it's like an echo of an echo of a thought so it could be entirely apocryphal

Never had an NDE though, but they sound neat.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Closest I've had to NDEs are one transcendent experience brought about through intense suffering and prayer, and three hypnopompic OBEs.

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?

Barry Foster posted:

I want to say that endocriminologist had an NDE (though I don't think they've talked too much about it) and I'm pretty sure someone else chimed in to say they did as well, but I can't remember who.

Regardless, thanks for piping up!! I'm always super-stoked to hear directly from people who've had one.

What was your impression of those "others"? And when you say "larger form of awareness", do you mean that your state of consciousness had changed? Many NDErs report being able to think much more quickly/clearly, being aware of much more than they usually are, stuff like that. Would any of that apply?

It was an immediate transferal of my own being/consciousness and a sense of remembering some kind of general purpose ("here" felt familiar, and it was like I'd forgotten was "here" was until I'd been "there" again). I was me, with all of my personal thoughts and ego, it seems, but I just "knew" that there were others who were not me with me. A feeling of spatial presence? It's difficult to put into terms things which are largely non-physical and entirely in my head, so to speak.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I had a dream that was pretty NDE-like in content and made a concrete prediction (that I will die age 86) and a more diffuse statement about a missing memory "they" removed for my own good (something to do with a "house" or "residence"). It had a timbre and quality extremely different to any other dream I've had before or since. But I think it was still just a dream.

I was in and out of hospital with asthma quite a lot in my first few years (several times it was apparently pretty touch and go) and also nearly drowned age two or so. I have no clear memories of any of those events/anything NDE-like about them, except for...I dunno, a feeling that I sometimes get that feels very old and very familiar that I can't quite place but reminds me of being very young, and being very safe. It's a very nice feeling. And left to my own devices, I'm definitely the most sensitive and weird member of my family, with by far the most esoteric interests. I used to have a lot of pretty spiritual feelings before the age of 14 or so, and I'm starting to rediscover my inner woomonger after finally starting to recover from the long hangover of being an Extremely Angry Early Noughties Male Internet Teenage Atheist.

Then again I'm also the only left hander in my family so maybe it's just that lol

Lackey posted:

It was an immediate transferal of my own being/consciousness and a sense of remembering some kind of general purpose ("here" felt familiar, and it was like I'd forgotten was "here" was until I'd been "there" again). I was me, with all of my personal thoughts and ego, it seems, but I just "knew" that there were others who were not me with me. A feeling of spatial presence? It's difficult to put into terms things which are largely non-physical and entirely in my head, so to speak.

Fascinating! Thanks very much :)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lackey posted:

Wild, thanks for sharing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've read a lot of woo-folk have had near-drowning experiences. I definitely did, a very traumatic one at a water park when I was really small

I'm also left handed. So maybe there's something to it or maybe a lot of folks just can't swim

In fact, Foster, I mirror you in a lot of ways it seems

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh yeah if you haven't submitted to nderf.org please do so! If you have, please share it here. The questionnaire is great

Thank you so much for this. A lot of my being terrified of talking about it is the immense dismissal of these experiences in general from others and not wanting someone to judge me as being crazy; I know full well what I'm saying is just absolutely out there, but it felt like the right time to finally discuss it here.

And thank you, thread. I've been wanting to talk about this for such a long time, but have been too timid.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I had one of those! I was pretty young but I went through the full process of drowning and ended up, finally, at the bottom of a pool. I have some OBE memories about it but I feel like those are confabulated dreams I had after the event. Not entirely sure.

I do remember that after the panic of the drowning process fully tired me, and I'd taken in too much water, I finally surrendered and felt remarkably at peace. To be fair, this has a pretty base physical component because, yeah, oxygen deprivation -> feelings of dream-like bliss is a straight line (as children who've discovered "The Choking Game" and BDSM enthusiasts can attest).

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Apr 6, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lackey posted:

Thank you so much for this. A lot of my being terrified of talking about it is the immense dismissal of these experiences in general from others and not wanting someone to judge me as being crazy; I know full well what I'm saying is just absolutely out there, but it felt like the right time to finally discuss it here.

And thank you, thread. I've been wanting to talk about this for such a long time, but have been too timid.

Well I think you've come to the right thread :glomp:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lackey posted:

thing of it is, whether it was "real" or not in any objective sense, it was "real" to you, and what ultimately matters is the meaning you draw from it and apply to your life.

This is why I never fell in for the nu Atheist thing (although as a reformed fundie I did giggle the first time I read Dawkins saying what he did--nobody had ever been so aggro anti religion it was novel to me). I was raised on Gould's Twin Magisteria where science and religion and philosophy have their fairly discrete areas of questions that can be answered. This clearly falls into the latter.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

i am harry posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I try to remember that it's not the anaconda's fault it has to squeeze stuff to death and then swallow it whole, or a decision made by the northern lights to look like they do. The beauty is quiet and mysterious: why does a tree look like lightning? Why do galactic filaments look like neurons? Why can life evolve into anything more complex than bacteria or tube worms? Why can we recognize horror or beauty at all, when an antelope can stand there chewing grass while its buddy gets sucked underwater by a crocodile ten feet away? I think the horror gives value to the beauty, or what we recognize as beauty is a glimpse of the underlying pattern or structure of everything, a universal symmetry that isn't always apparent but that we can see into for just a snap, in a painting or a rainbow or a canyon or a supernova.

e also it's still a solar panel, balloon, or cgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lackey posted:

I had (kind of) an NDE. It was incredibly weird and it's the only time I have heard about somebody experiencing someone else's death as an NDE. Never had anything remotely similar happen before or since, so it's not like I believe I am psychic or whatever. I wish I could explain it but it sticks with me to this day.

D-Pad posted:

Story Time!

When I was about 10-11 years old I went on a road trip from Texas to Florida with my friend's family to go to Disney World (or land whichever one is in FL). We were driving through Georgia or FL panhandle area just after sunset. Everybody in the car was asleep but myself and the driver and I was just staring out the window in a half trance state. I suddenly had some sort of vision or out of body experience. I was no longer in the car. Something intense had just happened and there was confusion. It slowly dawned on me that I was in an overturned car that had just had a very loving serious wreck and I was very badly injured but there was no pain. Then there was this release, I died. I felt myself go up above the wreck, I say up but that was more how my brain interpreted it, it wasn't a physical direction per se. And there was something akin to a portal I was going towards. As I got closer this intense sense of peace came over me and I knew whatever was on the other side was good and I felt a sense of excitement and sped up towards the portal. As I approached it I sensed the other side and it was joyful. Right as I crossed over before I could see what was on the other side I snapped back into my body in the car.

I was terrified. Frozen. I immediately thought that I had just seen a vision of the near future and that we were going to have a bad wreck and I was going to die. I couldn't say anything to my friend's dad driving because it was so crazy and he was not the type and I was still very confused and terrified. We got about 10 minutes further down the road and off an exit there were a bunch of police and ambulance lights and as we passed I saw a horrific wreck that had obviously just happened very recently. It hit me like a ton of bricks that somebody had just died in that wreck and that somehow I experienced it. We stopped at a hotel shortly after and somebody turned on the local news and that same wreck was on there with the newscaster confirming that one person had died in that wreck.

I can't say I believe in the afterlife necessarily, but that experience has always stuck with me as one of the most intense and strange experiences of my life.