Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 115: 8/29: Obligatory Beach Episode (New, but…)

This update covers content from Parts 93-94 of the original LP.

Anon: hey steal my heart too!!

Early Morning

Music: Alright

Make sure you don’t let any dudes try to hit on her.
I’ll fight them off.

Okay, Futaba? Make sure he doesn’t do that.
Roger!
I’m still not sure this is a great idea… but have fun, kids. Just be careful, all right?

Early Morning → Daytime

Video: Beach

Music: New Beginning

Sorry for the wait.

New version, same T&A.

Ryuji really is a blond monkey, drat.

Still weird to me that this and Ann’s Rank 8 Confidant scene (which also involves Ryuji) are like, the only times in the game she seems at all comfortable with the role of “sex object” she’s constantly being forced into. I feel like this whole thing could have been a lot less uncomfortable if they leaned more into the femme fatale role that’s curiously absent from the lineup. Wouldn’t change the fact that she’s 16, but at least the game would be leering at someone who didn’t seem to hate the attention, y’know? Again, probably still wouldn’t be good, but it would be preferable to the way it exists currently, at least for me.

*looking around* Are we missing one…?

I get what they’re going for with Maaku and Yusuke’s expressions back there, but in practice it comes off more like they just forgot to draw in their loving eyes.

There’s nothing perfect about that.

Music: Break it Down

There’s a lot of people here… Are you okay, Futaba?
(nervously) I’m fine. You guys are here.

Let’s get something to eat.
Already prepared! Got my instant yakisoba ready to go!
How are you even going to cook that here?

Mm! That was delicious! Now, it’s time for us girls to go on a banana boat!
Is there one for us?
No! Keep an eye on our stuff!

Well, this blows. We’ll show them, though! C’mon, let’s pick up some chicks!
A bizarre and novel sensation is overcoming me… Somehow, I am aware that this never goes well for people like us…
Will our failure at least be funny?
You’d think it might be, but no, it never is… tnuH ebaB noitarepO… tnuH ebaB noitarepO…
I dunno what that means, but I’m not givin’ up that easily! C’mon, Yusuke!
This is the perfect opportunity to prove my skills!
Watch our stuff, Mona!
DAMMIT!

Hey.
No.

Hey.
Hey.

No.

Ambush!

H-Hey.
No.

Music: Alleycat

I dunno… The ocean just looks kinda bland to me…

I warned you, man.

C’mon, it ain’t over yet! I’m goin’ for a miracle comeback!
Hm… Did someone follow us here? Something tells us we’re being watched…

Oh god, here it comes

Yusuke actually seems to notice what’s coming and leaves. That’s weird and I didn’t remember it.

Music: Everyday Days

What are YOU guys doin’ here!?
(Angel) Sometimes we just gotta get out of the city! Forget the nightlife, breathe fresh air, enjoy some eye candy…
(Julian) We thought we’d lost our protégé! Who would’ve guessed our vaycay was actually the call of fate?

I feel the need to point out that this scene is now voiced. Julian is voiced by Kamoshida’s voice actor, while Angel is voiced by Shido’s. It’s very strange.

Aw, what’s with the look? Don’t believe in fate? Or did you really not have fun last time?
You’re gonna tell us you saw yourself in all that chiffon and felt nothing?
I-I don’t think I felt what you guys were hopin’…
Aw, honey, I get it. Everyone’s nervous when they first start out, but trust me. You’ll make their jaws drop!

Music: High Pressure

Just an hour at the vanity, three hours at the boutique, and we can just pick up where we left off last time. So… are you ready to steal some hearts?

I mean, I’m always ready to do that.

By the way, where’s Yusuke?

Music: My Homie

Hi. Lobsters.

While you were busy with your interrogation, I found these beautiful specimens on sale. And so, I decided to spend the last of my money on them.

How does a guy as bad with money as you survive…?

Wait, you were watchin’ us!? Why didn’t you help!?

Apologies, but I was entranced. The moment I set eyes on this distinct shape, I was in love. I haven’t had my core shaken as vigorously as this since the first time Ann entered my gaze.

Also, as to why I didn’t help you: I didn’t want to.
Fair enough.

(Pretentious Man) Ah, c’mon, don’t play hard-to-get, girls.
(Wealthy-Looking Man) Come on our party boat! There’ll be celebrities and industry people there!
Oh yeah? What industry?
Uhh… Luxury menswear. You wouldn’t know them, they’re from Canada.
Then they’re not really “celebrities,” are they?
Grrr… Come on ladies, it’ll be fun! It’s totally not creepy that we’re pressuring a couple of teenagers into this!
We told you—

Huh, so you were serious about being here with friends.
That’s what we’ve been saying from the start!
Don’t you find it boring spending your time with kids like them?

They’re more interesting than you two. Also, we’re the same age as them, so you just accidentally insulted the girls you were trying to pick up. I recommend you leave before you embarrass yourselves any further.

What was that?
Hey, let’s just let the children have fun with fellow children. We’ll be going now!

Thanks for coming in like that.

Don’t worry about it. Those guys had some horrific vibes.

By the way, where are Futaba and Morgana?

Yeah, where’s Futaba? I promised Sojiro I wouldn’t take my eyes off her, so if you lost her I’m completely hosed.
We didn’t lose her, idiot!

I was wondering about that myself.
Are you going to make them into sashimi? Or perhaps roast them whole!?

Ryuji, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Agreed. Let’s pack up.
Futaba seemed fine in the crowd too, so it looks like she’s overcome her last exercise.

Hey, Yusuke, where’d you put those lobsters?
I surreptitiously liberated a cooler from a nearby group of tourists and placed them inside for safekeeping.
Oh, so you stole it, okay then.

Hey, Futaba. We’re goin’ home. Stop standin’ around and help us.

For the record, the following conversation was a massive pain in the rear end to deal with because it’s just over seven minutes long back-to-front if you let the lines autoplay. It’s so long that they have to use five different camera cuts over the course of the scene to break it up visually. Basically, it’s just extremely long, and to make matters worse it’s mostly full of stuff we either already knew or really didn’t need to have explained to us. Hopefully I’ve sufficiently justified how thoroughly I’m gonna trim this one.

Music: Alleycat

Love mom. Sad die. Got blamed.

These six words are a rough summary of twelve lines of dialogue, to be clear.

Her research was cognitive psience, right?
Yes. Also, she knew about the Metaverse. I asked you to change my heart because I read her research and knew you could help me.
How’d you know we could—
I bugged Leblanc so I could catch Sojiro slacking off.
That just raises further questions, but okay.
That’s how I found out that some awful lady was threatening Sojiro with losing me so he’d give up my mom’s research.
Urgh… How… terrible…
I needed to help him, as well as myself. That’s why I contacted you. And after everything else you’ve done for me… I’d like to ask you to let me join your team.
Oh, was that in question? I kinda figured we were just gonna rope you into this no matter what.
I don’t really care about changing hearts… But I need to find out why my mom was killed. I saw it in her notes… She must have had a mental shutdown. It’s the only possibility…
That could be the criminal Kaneshiro mentioned…
Her death was suspicious, and her research disappeared after she died… Those men in the black suits with the fake suicide note must have been involved. So… can I join? I promise I’ll be dependable!
You’re already more dependable than the cat!
Why, you…!

Should we stop them from fighting? It’s getting old…
Eh, I’m sure it won’t turn into anything major. Anyway, Futaba’s code name!
Oracle.
We didn’t even explain them yet!
Don’t care. Let’s go home.

Whew, glad that’s over.

Also, while reviewing the original script I realized I typo’d “made me sad” into “made me dad” in the original LP, which is very funny to me.

Music: Desire

The time is coming to use their popularity against them. We’ll dispose of all our problems at once… Especially the major thorn in our side.
Why are you talking so cryptically? Get to the point, I’m busy.
Sorry, sorry. Anyway, for as much of a resource he’s been, that… benefactor of ours really has no sense.
I just told you to—oh, whatever. Yeah, he’s pretty stupid. The guy joins a political murder conspiracy that kills people with unstoppable psychic powers and he tries to *subvert* it to his own ends. What does the idiot think we’re gonna do to him? I swear, Okumura…
Um, sir, this is an unsecured line…
I don’t give a poo poo, I’m the guy who would be bugging it anyway! Now gently caress off, I haven’t had much time to myself recently and I just started Metal Gear Solid 2. Man, I love Solid Snake.
Er… right. Goodbye, sir.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
It does sometimes feel like there was an earlier characterization of Anne that leaned more “femme fatale” that got changed up somewhere along the way. Or at least… someone on the animation or story boarding team really liked Anne.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like every section of an anime script involving a sexy beach episode or a sexy hot spring episode should just be used as kindling from henceforth.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

(Pretentious Man) Ah, c’mon, don’t play hard-to-get, girls.[/u]

Typo

Arist posted:

Oracle.

In Japanese, her code name is Navi.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the idea with Ann is that she's entirely comfortable with her sex appeal, so long as she's actually in control of the situation. Going to the beach with Ryuji and the gang or posing for a magazine shoot is in her comfort zone because it's happening on her terms, getting ogled while she's drenched from the rain/sweat is not comfortable, and sexual harassment is, well, harassment. That's not unique to Ann or models in particular; most people enjoy feeling attractive when it's within their boundaries.

I'm sure this is laid out in a draft document somewhere and they just forgot to give Ann more than a couple scenes where she's actually comfortable while writing a whole lot of scenes where she's not, because the tropes demand horny teenagers and villains threatening sexual violence.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That makes sense and is a characterization I would be completely fine with, but in practice it's used to have the audience perv on a sixteen year old, and since the laws of anime and videogames demand that all love interests be blushing virgins (or way older women I suppose?), it clashes with that too.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Get yourself a man who loves you the way Yusuke loves lobsters

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cloacamazing! posted:

That makes sense and is a characterization I would be completely fine with, but in practice it's used to have the audience perv on a sixteen year old, and since the laws of anime and videogames demand that all love interests be blushing virgins (or way older women I suppose?), it clashes with that too.

Yeah, the issue with Ann (or at least the issue at hand) is that the game can't decide whether she should be comfortable with showing off, or in what contexts. It's clearly supposed to be her growing used to using her looks to her advantage (she gets a skill in battle about it, this scene, she gets some scenes later in the game about it) but the game just cannot resist the urge to make her mention how uncomfortable her phantom thief outfit makes her. It is very inconsistent. Not the only Phantom Thief this happens to (I'd argue Makoto has it worse), but yeah.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ann also suffers from the 'early party member that's not the idiot best friend' syndrome where her and Yusuke's roles heavily dwindle in the second half of the game, similar to Chie and Yukiko. Her and Yusuke do end up being the level-headed ones during the Big Bang phase but otherwise they don't really contribute much to the plot after that.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think the idea with Ann is that she's entirely comfortable with her sex appeal, so long as she's actually in control of the situation. Going to the beach with Ryuji and the gang or posing for a magazine shoot is in her comfort zone because it's happening on her terms, getting ogled while she's drenched from the rain/sweat is not comfortable, and sexual harassment is, well, harassment. That's not unique to Ann or models in particular; most people enjoy feeling attractive when it's within their boundaries.

I'm sure this is laid out in a draft document somewhere and they just forgot to give Ann more than a couple scenes where she's actually comfortable while writing a whole lot of scenes where she's not, because the tropes demand horny teenagers and villains threatening sexual violence.

It's even simpler than that. The game is about people in power abusing their position and exploiting those for whom they are responsible. Kamoshida is a teacher who torments male students and sexually assaults female ones when he's supposed to teach them volleyball. Madarame takes his pupils' work and throws them out when their creative juices run out. Okumura treats his employees as disposable tools. Sae abuses the law and gets people unfairly convinced because she wants a promotion. Shido lies to the entire nation which he is supposed to serve. Even Kaneshiro's fault is not that he's a criminal—what's truly unforgivable is that he employs naive students and blackmails them when he's supposed to reward their loyalty and protect them from law enforcement.

Persona 5 doesn't give a gently caress about Ryuji ogling Ann exactly because he's not in a position of power over her. It wasn't created to explore the relationships between the two sexes and the intricacies of modern feminism. It's about teenagers trying to conform, getting hosed over by high-ranking people and the apathetic society, and then deciding to risk everything and rebel.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm not sure if its perspective, but Futaba is a midget compared to everyone else

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well she's supposed to be at least a year younger (maybe 2? I forget) than the rest of the gang so it makes sense she's at least a little shorter.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

One third perspective/posture (she's leaning forwards to try and grab Yusuke's lobster) two thirds she's fairly shorter than the others.
E: I also think Yusuke is the tallest of the group?

She's also possibly malnourished from the how many years of depressive episodes, NEET living and shutdowns frequent enough that Sojiro wasn't particularly agitated from the month long coma.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 2, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think official heights were:

Morgana: 1'7"
Futaba: 4'11"
Haru: 5'2"
Yoshizawa: 5'4"
Makoto: 5'5"
Ann: 5'6"
Ryuji: 5'9"
Joker: 5'10"
Akechi: 5'10"
Yusuke: 5'11"

Sae is actually around Ann's height, the heels just prop her up.

Futaba is short relatively but not that far off for Asian women height averages (which is around 5'1")

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 2, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hey there's a name on that list who we technically don't know is a playable character!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hey there's a name on that list who we technically don't know is a playable character!

I wonder who this new persona user showcased in the flash forward could be?

Ok, yes, technically they don't drop names during the prologue but come on those masks are as effective a disguise for us viewers as Clark Kent's glasses.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who the gently caress is Clark Kent

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm just saying, we don't know who that gymnastics-themed, redheaded persona user voiced by Laura Post is!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yoshi is that green horse thing you throw into pits, right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Omobono posted:

I wonder who this new persona user showcased in the flash forward could be?

Ok, yes, technically they don't drop names during the prologue but come on those masks are as effective a disguise for us viewers as Clark Kent's glasses.

That could be anyone!

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

who the gently caress is Clark Kent

Guy who hosted GBS news back in the 70s. I think he maybe wrote a few books after they went belly-up in '85. A real gent, apparently.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

That could be anyone!

OMG it could be Sojiro! The signs were all there!

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Gantolandon posted:

Persona 5 doesn't give a gently caress about Ryuji ogling Ann exactly because he's not in a position of power over her.

doesn't quite explain why she gave one during the whole Yusuke nude model thing. then again, that whole situation was weird.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kebyou posted:

doesn't quite explain why she gave one during the whole Yusuke nude model thing. then again, that whole situation was weird.

Because she was being blackmailed to do it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I don't recall if Yusuke really says he's sorry for blackmailing Ann or if we delve right into the whole thing with Madarame's palace and it's kind of forgotten? If the game really wanted to make a point about unequal power in relationships you'd think there'd be more fallout from Yusuke's attempt at making a sexual harassment victim strip instead of the way it's played mostly for laughs. I think the focus immediately shifts to Yusuke trying to come to terms with his own relationship with Madarame and trying to solidify his position on the team so any awkwardness gets swept aside in the haste to punch Madarame('s cognitive self) in the face.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

kw0134 posted:

I don't recall if Yusuke really says he's sorry for blackmailing Ann or if we delve right into the whole thing with Madarame's palace and it's kind of forgotten?

Because they didn't hash out, he remained the weird creeper in my eyes and I only did one S-Link with him!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He never says it directly, but he does express gratitude to the Phantom Thieves for pulling him from the brink and spends his entire confidant being horrified at the risk of turning into another Madarame. You can choose to read that as a kind of apology if you want to be very charitable.

also maybe he apologizes in a random Thieves' Den chat? I don't recall, but they do put a handful of conversations that should have been in the base game in there.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
And they do address issues from the main plot in the Thieves Den skits too, so maybe? The only couple I remember are Ysuke apologizing to Makoto for going so hard on her during her awakening and... something else it makes more sense to talk about later.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait, the Thieves' Den is 100% a Royal original, isn't it? We probably should talk about none of it; Arist has been looking forward to painstakingly documenting all the random events there I'm sure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait, the Thieves' Den is 100% a Royal original, isn't it? We probably should talk about none of it; Arist has been looking forward to painstakingly documenting all the random events there I'm sure.

But there's so much stuff! It changes all the time even sometimes depending on where you are in the plot! To document every interaction with every iteration of the characters, you'd have to crazy--- oh never mind I get it. Have fun Arist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

kw0134 posted:

I don't recall if Yusuke really says he's sorry for blackmailing Ann or if we delve right into the whole thing with Madarame's palace and it's kind of forgotten? If the game really wanted to make a point about unequal power in relationships you'd think there'd be more fallout from Yusuke's attempt at making a sexual harassment victim strip instead of the way it's played mostly for laughs. I think the focus immediately shifts to Yusuke trying to come to terms with his own relationship with Madarame and trying to solidify his position on the team so any awkwardness gets swept aside in the haste to punch Madarame('s cognitive self) in the face.

Yusuke is more or less presented as an extension of Madarame's will, so his actions towards Ann are "narratively" attributed to Madarame's corrupt influence, not Yusuke's own character. Especially because as his confidant shows he's not really, socially aware, he legit does just think only about art and artistic merit more or less. Futaba has a similar problem with knowing what are appropriate thoughts/statements/ideas, it just only really comes up in Mementos conversations.

But no Yusuke never apologizes to Ann directly from my own memory.

Ann's deal is about her being in control or not though, in terms of when she's comfortable and when she isn't around being ogled. Or at least somewhat, the elements of abuse of power matter too.

Also for what it's worth, Sae hasn't actually unfairly convicted anyone yet, that's the whole point of how they "win" her palace, Joker would be the first and thus the final corruption of her ideals because there's zero legitimate evidence for him to be the Phantom Thief Leader (for fairly obvious reasons). Sae's palace is meant to be in the final steps of growing narratively speaking, the last moment before she becomes lost in the darkness of her Shadow like the other villains.

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, the issue with Ann (or at least the issue at hand) is that the game can't decide whether she should be comfortable with showing off, or in what contexts. It's clearly supposed to be her growing used to using her looks to her advantage (she gets a skill in battle about it, this scene, she gets some scenes later in the game about it) but the game just cannot resist the urge to make her mention how uncomfortable her phantom thief outfit makes her. It is very inconsistent. Not the only Phantom Thief this happens to (I'd argue Makoto has it worse), but yeah.

Also this, Ann and Makoto both being uncomfortable with their Phantom Thief Outfits is super goddamn weird since they're supposed to be ideals of rebellion that empower you. Ann discusses somewhere that she used to idolise the femalve villains from TV Shows that dressed the way her Phantom Thief outfit looks. Makoto is a huge action movie fan and I believe implied to read Fist of the North Star and similar hyper-martial arts manga (hence her outfit being post-apocalyptic punk themed).

You could argue that they're only uncomfortable initially in their outfit, since I believe they have mementos conversations talking about being fine with them after the initial awakening. Ann's level of comfort with being ogled sort of fits with her initially being annoyed by the outfit appearing without her input, but otherwise being fine with it once she's in control of wearing it etc. But ehhhhh, still not the greatest handling of what is intended to be a specific character narrative/stance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sae definitely starts blurring the line during the game (threatening Sojiro re: Futaba, for instance), but it's definitely the events of her Palace that she would have gone off the deep end.

An interesting take would be if Sae was given that promotion to goad her into forming a Palace, but we'll never get that much exploration of it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

You could argue that they're only uncomfortable initially in their outfit, since I believe they have mementos conversations talking about being fine with them after the initial awakening. Ann's level of comfort with being ogled sort of fits with her initially being annoyed by the outfit appearing without her input, but otherwise being fine with it once she's in control of wearing it etc. But ehhhhh, still not the greatest handling of what is intended to be a specific character narrative/stance.

There's actually a neat little hint of this change on Ann's part - she's clearly not completely comfortable with the outfit yet in the first two palaces, but has adjusted to it by palace 3.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 116: 8/29-8/31: Dishonor Student (New)

This update covers content from Parts 94 and 95 of the original LP.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

I hear you’ve been keeping her company for the past few days. Thanks.

>Yeah, isn’t it dope?
>Oh, wait, you weren’t talking about us.
They mighta killed Futaba’s mom.
She had a mental shutdown… I wonder if the same person is behind the mental shutdowns and psychotic breakdowns.
We got an assassin on our hands then…
We should be cautious. We don’t know much about the Nav ourselves.
>Nah, we’re probably fine there. A weird guy in my dream gave it to us. He’s pretty sketchy but I mostly trust him.
What are you even talking about?
Futaba, do you think the criminal is using the app too?
You realize this isn’t a regular phone app, right? It’s clearly some metaphysical bullshit. I don’t really understand it, but I’ll do whatever I can to help you guys find this dick!

Awesome, dude! You’re way more reliable than Mona!

I’m not a dude.

Dammit, Ryuji… You always find the worst possible thing to say!

Well, the old couple that runs it is apparently getting threatened by land speculators.

This isn’t a time for jokes. That old couple is so afraid of the threats that they don’t even want to open their theater.

>Uh, sorry, I guess.

Anyway, our target is a guy named Yasuo Jochi. Let’s drive him off and save that old couple!
Hm, there might have been a change in Mementos because of all that Medjed stuff. If you want to go, now would be the right time! Let’s discuss with everyone at the hideout.

Morgana, it’s night.

Oh hey, a new group text.

Here’s a photo I took today.
Bwuh!? I’m in there too!
You look like you’re having fun, Futaba! Ann’s a pretty good camerawoman.
Is this what it’s like to feel photogenic…?
You’re not used to looking good in pictures? It certainly is a fine shot.
I get you.
Indeed, this picutre has even captured all the architectural grandeur of my sand castle.
…I’ll take your word for it, man.

#Millennials’ popularity is still going strong. Merchandise of them has even been produced, and sales have been very good due to their appeal. With their popularity still rising, this Phantom Thieves boom will continue for a while yet.
They’re calling it a phantom thief boom! I’m so proud of us!

Yeah, that’s nice, but when are they gonna cut us in on these merch profits!?

“That’s not gramatically correct, son.”

It comes with a sticker, and everyone at school has them…
(Doting Father) I didn’t know you were into the Phantom Thieves…
Well, I haven’t talked to you much ‘cause you’re always at work…
I-I’ll buy you one if you promise to eat everything at dinner!

We can actually go pick up those Phantom Wafers right now over at Rocinante.

We’ve never entered Rocinante before in this playthrough, so we get this message.

We buy the Phantom Wafers.

Music: Time to Repent

We’re going to the beach, so I bought a swimsuit, but dressing like that in front of people… Oh, sorry for bringing up such a personal topic.

I’d like to request a match with you.

Thank you. I look forward to it.

Star Rank 7: Part 89

While your pitiful nation built meager trade routes and decadent monuments, the Togo Kingdom was taking steps to decimate yours.

All my pieces have been taken… Hifumi has left me utterly defeated.

No culture victory for you. Accept your death like the dog you are.
Your theming’s a bit off tonight. Normally you go for something a bit more… middle school.
I started playing this game called Civilization recently, maybe that’s affected my habit… But you did well to hold me off for so long, especially after my siege early in the match. I’ll have to develop a new move or you may surpass me.
I appreciate the compliment, but I really don’t think there’s any danger of that happening.
Anyway, I should tell you something. That exhibition match against a pro my mother was setting up has been confirmed. He’s a famous player, and given that article, as well as the fact that I’m aiming to be the first woman to reach the pro league, it will surely draw a lot of attention… But I don’t intend to lose. This is my chance to display my skill… Even if I am a bit scared.
It’ll be tough, but I’m sure you have a fighting chance. Take it from me, a guy who now knows what most of the pieces look like!
I’m not sure I can win, myself, but I must prove my ability so I can stop being treated like an idol! If you don’t mind, there’s a new move I’d like to try out, so might we play another match?
Two matches in one day? It’s getting late… the cat won’t like this. But sure, why not?
Thank you. By strategically positioning your pieces in the enemy zone, you can increase your chances of getting gold.
I have no idea what that means in this context.

I feel Hifumi’s trust in me growing…

Warmonger Gandhi Formation!

I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge

Maaku gains Knowledge +1, even though we played two games. What a ripoff.

Thank you for the match. I look forward to our next one…

Like, could we all meet up at Leblanc tomorrow?

I mean, August is almost over already…
That worried tone—could he still have summer vacation homework left to do?
Was that Morgana? Whoa, how did he know!?
I actually called it?
Anyway! I’ve already hit up Makoto and the others! I’ll be countin’ on you to get me through this tomorrow!
You gotta be kidding…

I know, right!? Tomorrow was a free day in the original game!

Might as well get some sleep while we can.

Music: Desire

I legitimately forgot about these dreams. Do you know why I forgot about them? Because they never loving go anywhere!

That’s a worrying dream… If we get to the depths of Mementos… it’ll all be okay, right? Everything will be fine, right!?
Stop shouting.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Sorry, it’s… pain from my sunburns!
I’m still half-asleep so I’m not equipped to question that right now. Also, I don’t care.
Hey… if, just for the sake of argument, I turned out to be some weird—
You already are. Easy question, next.
Hey, take this seriously… I just don’t know that it’s right for me to stay with the Phantom Thieves, especially as useless as I am right now… Oh, whatever. I still want to turn back into a human, but being a cat’s pretty alright too, I guess. I can keep staying here, right?
*snoring loudly*
The nerve of this guy…! That’s it, I’m sleeping on your chest again!
I subconsciously feel like my bond with Morgana is growing deeper…

Anon: Who are they, anyway?

Daytime

As for me… I’m done for.
Talk about a clichéd way to end your summer vacation.

No points for calling it out, game.

I can’t believe you hadn’t even touched your homework until last night.
Well, everyone’s free to spend their time as they choose. I guess SOME PEOPLE just can’t help themselves.
I’m sorry…
Come on, I think he’s learned his lesson.

You’d think that, but no.

More importantly, why don’t you folks take a break?
Boss! You’re a lifesaver!
I’m gonna go pick up some groceries. Mind the shop for a bit.

By incorporating their lab’s findings on human efficiency into the training regimen, they’ve developed a…
Oh, that reminds me: isn’t there a female athlete from our own school who’s made the news?
An athlete… Do you mean the one in gymnastics?
Yeah, her! The one everyone’s saying is super-cute!
Oh yeah—Yoshizawa, right? Wasn’t she gonna be in the summer meet? Or izzat already over?
Ah, about that… *pause*
Makoto?
Well… I just happened to overhear a couple teachers discussing it when I was heading to school the other day. Yoshizawa-san’s results in the meet… They weren’t exactly stellar.
I see…?
There seemed to have been a great many people expecting her success there. It’s got to be tough for her…
Yeah… Ain’t there one more meet left this year in gymnastics, though? poo poo must be rough right now, but if she can nail that one, who cares what anybody at school says?
Oh. That also reminds me…

Music: Suspicion

So, I just so happened to bump into Mishima-kun before summer vacation started.

Condolences.

And?
He seemed really mad. I asked him what was wrong and he showed me some posts on an underground site about our school.

THE DARK WEB

It pretty much said the school’s planning to abandon any honors student who isn’t actively making Shujin look better.
Whoa, wait a sec…
There was no name, and it sounded like just another rumor at first… But, could this be about Yoshizawa-san?
Who knows?

At the very least, this abandonment of honor students would fall in line with the school’s real mission. I can’t deny the possibility that they would do this to Yoshizawa-san…
They dump all their hopes onto their athletes, and if they don’t cut the mustard, they’re out like the rest of the trash, huh?
Regardless of whether it’s true or not, such behavior is extremely self-serving.
Tch… Just like we’ve thought this whole time… There’s still tons of poo poo wrong with society.
Yeah… We don’t know what’ll happen to Yoshizawa’s spot on the team… But at the very least, we can keep up our efforts to prevent the worst-case scenario.

Daytime → Evening

The Phantom Thieves shocked the world by silencing a globally notorious hacktivist group. Their popularity goes beyond our own borders, with foreign media following them closely as well. Many are heralding them as “dark heroes” and “gentlemen thieves for a new age.”
Whoa… This is getting pretty crazy. So the whole world really knows about us!

All anyone talks about anymore is the Phantom Thieves—who they are, whether they’re good or bad… Startin’ to give me a headache…

Does Morgana know anything about that?
Well—
>He says he doesn’t know.
Hey!
It doesn’t really matter for now anyways. We just gotta find that culprit!

We’ll be counting on you, Futaba!
This feels way better than having some dumb cat guide us!
……

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

(Pro Shogi Player) That kind of move tends to anger your opponent. Once provoked, they act very aggressively.
(Interviewer) That doesn’t seem like a bad move to me, but… I suppose you speak from experience.
(Pro Shogi Player) Plus, once you get the opponent that mad, it’s almost impossible to turn the situation around. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve—No, never mind.

Music: Crossroads

I don’t really mind it, but keep yourself in check, okay?

Although I’d be pretty happy to let those records stay unbroken. Sitll, this time of year is the best for a nice, refreshing cold one.

You have anything good to share?

All right, let’s hear it.

Devil Rank 5: Rank 92

I mean, I assume. We’re friends, kind of, but I have no real insight into his investigation.
Oh, I should probably apologize to you. It’s part of my job to look into your background, and I ended up finding out about your criminal record.

……

Back when you helped me out with the chief, I realized you weren’t ordinary, so I did some digging. I found way more than I was expecting, though.
That’s… fine. Totally… totally great. No problem at all.
Ouch, you seem pissed.
Mostly it’s just because you seem intent on dredging up what happened last time again when I was deadset on purging it from my memory. Can’t say I’m thrilled about your little background check either, but what can I do?
Sorry…

I have to say though, the ruling made in your case was really odd.

Hm? In what way?
It sure seemed to me like some kind of deal was brokered behind the scenes to make sure you went away. You really didn’t notice anything strange?
Eh, I don’t know the law.
Right… well, that must have been tough for a kid like you.

Well, just forget about the past! We’re in the same boat when it comes to being labeled.

This have something to do with your partner?

Exactly. I’m going to avenge my partner for—

Uh, never mind! Lala, another round!

No. It’s your turn to tell the truth. You can’t go rooting around in the kid’s past and expect to keep your own secrets hidden.
W-Wait, don’t blame me more that! He doesn’t have anything to do with my private business…

Well, now I *gotta* know.
…Fine. But you can’t tell anyone, okay? Back in the day, I covered politics. I had a partner who helped with photography. Her name was Kayo Murakami. We became pretty infamous for blowing the lid off scandals. Until…

Music: Suspicion

We were on the trail of a buereaucrat who was involved in a slush fund siphoned off money for refugees. He was pretty guarded though, so we couldn’t get any solid leads. Then, one night, Kayo left me a voicemail saying she had gotten hold of something big. That was the last I ever heard from her.

The next day, that bureaucrat was found dead at a love hotel… and Kayo had gone missing.

Dead? What was the cause?

Well…
The cause of death is unknown… The authorities couldn’t tell whether it was a murder or a suicide.

Are there really that many good ways to kill yourself that are completely impossible to identify cause of death? I feel like the assumption should probably just be murder, or at least just natural causes.

Hmm… think, Maaku, does this remind you of anything you heard about recently…?
There’s a criminal using the Metaverse for their own ends…
My mom died… They said it was a suicide, but it was murder… This person is causing mental shutdowns… They’re completely traceless!
Man, if there’s two things I hate, it’s reporters and bureaucrats. We should eradicate all of them.
Hmm, can’t think of anything… Oh well.

As for the killer…
The police accused Kayo! They said she killed him in a crime of passion…! That’s impossible though! She never would have slept with a disgusting man like that!

Maybe you just didn’t know her as well as you thought you did.
Uh, believe me, kid, we were… intimately acquainted.

And more importantly, it’s pretty drat hosed up to make allegations like that without any evidence!
Ichiko-chan.
…Sorry. The case was closed, but we never found the truth… and Kayo was labeled a professional disgrace. And since we were partners, the company decided it would be best to move me to another department.

So that’s how you got stuck with entertainment reporting…

I’m going to prove Kayo’s innocence though. That’s why I’m conducting my own private investigation now.

I wish you luck, then.
Thanks. You’ve been giving me a lot of good intel, too, which has been helping me find time for my own investigation.

…All right, we’re even now! I didn’t enjoy it though.
You sure about that? It’s been ages since I’ve seen you smile this much.
W-Well… maybe you’re right. I haven’t felt this alive in a long time. OK then, I’ll write a great article to commemorate our sharing session! “Exclusive: The Phantom Thieves’ Lofty Ideals in Connection with a Secret Society!” Haha, just kidding! Don’t worry, I’ll definitely come up with a better headline before we go to print!
I feel like my bond with Ohya is growing deeper…

More junk.

Still… there’s just one thing that bothers me. There’s no doubt the chief is on to my investigation.

Yeah, that does sound like a problem…

Maybe we should keep acting like a couple so we can trick him. How’s that sound?

I NEED AN ADULT!

Oh, leave the kid alone.

It’s getting late, kid. You should probably head home now.
Yeah, good idea.

I’m sorry about earlier. Really. For me digging up your records and such without asking, I mean…

It’s my duty and pride as a journalist to protect my sources at all costs. I’m actually making great progress on my private investigation, thanks to you. And I’ll be needing your help later, too. So I can find out what really happened to Kayo.

I never expected what happened to Futaba’s mother would be connected to those incidents in the city. We can’t leave this be!

Uh, okay. Wasn’t planning on ignoring it, but since you’re so fired up I’ll prioritize it.
They have the same power as us, but they’re using it to trigger mental shutdowns… We’re the only ones who can stop them!
Okay, I get it, jeez… You don’t have to shout at me…

Anon: Who are they, anyway?

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Come downstaaairs!
What is it?

Huh, that’s a pleasant surprise. Not the lunch, that you’re inviting me out somewhere.
You don’t have to act so shocked…

Not only can Futaba go out now, but your summer break’s almost over. We gotta do something.
I asked especially for sushi. You better be thankful. This place is supposed to be super delicious too.

Takemetakemetakemetakemetakeme!!!
I think the cat wants to come.

Wait, does it want to come with us or something?

Yes, that’s what I just said.

I do feel sorry for it though… Well, I guess I don’t mind bringing some sushi home.
He knows me so well! Let’s see, I want some medium-fat tuna, fatty tuna, salmon roe, anago, and, and…

I’m not gonna remember all that.
That’s why you should be writing this down! I didn’t get to eat the take-out last time, so you better not flake!

Early Morning → Daytime

Music: Alright

Futaba’s just rapid-fire snarfing this sushi down.

(mouth full) Delihious!

Now, come on, don’t wolf it down like that or you’ll choke…

*coughing*
What did I tell you? Drink some tea.
*drinks*

Huh? …Restrooms? They’re that way.

You know, back in the day Wakaba, Futaba, and I would go out to eat often… I had completely forgotten…
I’m glad we came. This has been much better than the other three times I’ve been here.
You’ve been here before!?
Yep. Once with the whole gang, once with Yusuke and some art guy, and once with a politician friend of mine.
I can’t tell if you’re loving with me…
Not at all. Though, I didn’t have to pay when I came the latter two times, so it tasted much better.
Right…

That was close… I thought I was gonna die!

Check please.
(Employee) Comin’ right up!

That sushi was so good… Today’s was pretty good too. I hope the three of us can come again sometime.

Sure, let’s do it.

I wish she could’ve had today’s sushi too… ……

I need to find the culprit behind her mental shutdown… I won’t forgive him.

So, you better help me out.

RIP kitty…

Daytime → Evening

Music: Wicked Plan

Huh? Wait, where’s my sushi? Where’s my fatty tuna? Where’s my anago?

Cassandra Morris sounds so quietly devastated here, it’s one of the best line reads in the whole game.

If only Sojiro had more money.
So that’s why…
There’s actually one place I wanna go more than sushi. Any idea what it is?

>I dunno… Mount Fuji?
Why would I want to go there?
>I don’t know, that’s why it would be surprising!

I want to go to Akihabara. I wanna buy a game, but I’m scared to do it alone. Do you think you can help?

>That’s what the internet is for.
But I want it nooooooooow!
>Fine.

OK, it’s late so let’s just meet there! I know how to ride the train after that trip to the beach, so I can get there fine. Well then, I’ll be waiitng.

I already see a flaw in this plan…

Wait, we’re meeting in Akihabara? Is Futaba really going to be okay? We’d better get over there.

Music: Home Electronics Store

Is she not here…? Try checking around.

Cat, I’d be shocked if she even made it to the store.

I… Ummm…
Hey, over there…
Did you run away from home? What’s wrong, little girl?

Uhhh… Ah…

Huh, guess she did make it. Well, at least she’s not telling that cop anything.

That looks bad! What are you gonna do!?

As much as I love watching the police get stonewalled, I should probably step in to help her.

Hm. Well, can you come down to the station with me for now?

Maaku!?

You know me, gotta pick that option.

You’re not lying, are you?

Fuckin’ cop! …Oops, I said that out loud.
Hey, you know this guy, right?

*nods*
…Very well.

S-Sorry… I thought I conquered my fears back at the beach…
What happened?
There wasn’t anyone I knew with me, so I panicked. Felt like my heart was gonna pop… I got so scared all by myself… then I just sorta curled up into a ball… Then all these people started staring at me… and the police came… and then it was all over…
Look, Futaba. If you’re ever in trouble,just call Maaku.
…Okay.

I’m pretty busy, but I’ll try to work you into my schedule. Just make sure you make all appointments at least forty-eight hours in advance. I’ll give you a receipt for tax purposes.

Please, no touching.

Urgh… Couldn’t even go buy a game by myself. I’m a failure…
Futaba…
But I’m okay outside as long as it’s with Maaku… Is he some kinda key item?

Hey, this isn’t—

Please, Maaku! Be my key item! I’ll try and get better at navigation if you do!

Oh, fine, whatever.

I should accompany Futaba when she goes out from now on…

Music: Interrogation Room

We know you had a hacker aiding you… Who was it!?
I literally told you the answer to this. Did you already forget?

Music: The Spirit

Music: What’s Going On?

Hm? Where?
Need. Buy. Game.
…Weren’t you bawling your eyes out just a second ago?
Yeah, but I have my key item now! Victory conditions met! C’mon, let’s roll!

Still not totally in love with being called that.

We were in Akihabara. Don’t make a big deal out of it.
Akihabara…? That’s incredible, Futaba! Why, you might even be able to go to high school someday with that level of improvement!
What’d I just say?
(to Maaku) Hey, we’re gonna head back home. Night.

Aw, you’re making me blush!
I’m not talking about you!
No, this is definitely thanks to Futaba silencing Medjed.

Right? This poo poo’s like, the perfect motivation! Everyone’s got high expectations of the Phantom Thieves. Let’s make sure they’re answered!
On top of all that, this case has shed light on something important.
You mean that criminal. Welll… I suppose at this point we can refer to them as the one behind the mental shutdowns.
That’s the one who killed my mom…
We can’t leave them be. Let’s talk more in detail about this tomorrow at school.

This conversation originally went on a bit further than that Ryuji mentioning he never finished his summer homework, but with the added 8/30 event they obviously removed that.

Speak for yourself, man.

Tons of people have started accessing the forum too.

A popular internet forum? In 2016? Now I’ve seen everything.

I was wondering how I could capitalize on this…
>Mishima, we don’t use that word in this household.
Uh, sure. Anyway, I decided to add a new function to the Phan-Site. It’ll be up tomorrow. Hope you’re excited.

I love this option so much.

Why? We’re both going on the school trip. In any case, look forward to the new function. I’m sure it’ll be exciting!

(Reporter) Akihabara is a famous tourist spot. The chaotic atmosphere there is really something.
(Pundit) I’m actually really into retro games, and I always visit the used game stores in Akihabara. I always get excited when I find an old game console at antique shops, haha.

We just hit the threshold for being “close” to maxing our Knowledge, so I’m not expecting to max it here, but this is going to probably be our last push to try to get to max so we can maybe do Hifumi’s request before Hawaii.

There’s danger afoot in the internet world too, it seems. You still got time to read. Let’s go a little further.

They were like gentlemen thieves, targeting evil corporations. But now they’re just glory-seeking hackers. They’re sort of like us Phantom Thieves, in that nobody knows exactly who they are…

Maaku gains Knowledge +3.

Oh hey, we did hit max Knowledge. Neat. Though it makes me think the bathroom social stat tracker is a bit broken or something, because as I just said, we had barely gotten to the last third previously.

Music: Aria of the Soul

I see you got another new ally. That’s… impressive.
You just realized you forgot to give me the new power you promised last time, right?
Don’t tell anyone.

Fuckin’ finally.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 6, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I meant to have this one out like, two days ago, but I came down with something fierce this week and I'm still not at 100%. That's also the excuse I'll use for why my added dialogue is less frequent/good/whatever.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 6, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yikes, hope you recover quickly. And don't worry about it. What you did add is amusing enough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Feel better, and no worries!

This segment always bothered me; Ryuji raggin on Morgana is to be expected, but regardless of what the player thinks, Joker clearly loves the guy and just keeps blowing him off regardless. There's even a response to one of the dialogue prompts where Morgana basically says "uh I don't have a response to you expressing honest concern, you're not supposed to pick that one."

Like I know the plot demands the dreaded dissonance arc, and it's trying to set it up organically, but it always rubbed me the wrong way that Joker and Morgana's relationship isn't really a part of it when literally every other element of the game sets up Joker as an empathy elemental who is always keyed in and putting others first.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

Thank you. By strategically positioning your pieces in the enemy zone, you can increase your chances of getting gold.
I have no idea what that means in this context.
I believe this is in reference to promoting pieces in shogi, which can be done once you've advanced that piece relatively deeply into your opponent's half of the board. Unlike in chess, you can promote most of the pieces you start out with and many of the upgraded pieces have identical movement patterns to gold generals, so hence "getting gold."

I don't know if that's the preferred jargon or if it's the translation being a little funky, though.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

I… Ummm…
Hey, over there…
Did you run away from home? What’s wrong, little girl?

Uhhh… Ah…

Huh, guess she did make it. Well, at least she’s telling that cop anything.

Missing a not in that last line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I never bothered look up the exchange rate when I played P5, and that sushi bill was $900, holy crap.

The new stuff they added for Royal looks like it might be good enough to get it, thanks for the LP.