Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
No I’m accusing Keller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Seeing as KBR subcontracted all construction here using something called "radium" I'm sure we're perfectly fine in our new berthing area.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FrozenVent posted:

No I’m accusing Keller.

That could use a cite too, particularly in light of contrary evidence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

It's quiet out there tonight. Too quiet.

Ended up being a bit of a stealth deployment, I'm only learning now. Welcome!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

joat mon posted:

That could use a cite too, particularly in light of contrary evidence

She's never looked a jewish person in the eye, for one. Turned a deaf ear to the holocaust.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Everything I know about Marines is from the Miz and the one comic where Obama calls someone a boot

Do I need to know more?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anybody here lookin for a great deal on an ‘05 Dodge Charger?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Only if all the seals are blown and it's covered in moto stickers while listed at 125% KBB value.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anybody here lookin for a great deal on an ‘05 Dodge Charger?

15%APR and you got a deal

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Carteret posted:

15%APR and you got a deal

15%APR?!?!

What, you got some kind of 3 digit credit score or some poo poo richly rich?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

15%APR?!?!

What, you got some kind of 3 digit credit score or some poo poo richly rich?

We can definitely go up, I'm sure I can find someone here in Latvia who could help out with offering a >15% APR loan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We can definitely go up, I'm sure I can find someone here in Latvia who could help out with offering a >15% APR loan.

Friend, jarheads can walk right off the base at home and finance and brand new charger at 42% apr. Although since they’re on deployment only their wife and jody will enjoy it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Friend, jarheads can walk right off the base at home and finance and brand new charger at 42% apr. Although since they’re on deployment only their wife and jody will enjoy it.

*furrows eyebrow* We can do more than 42% too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anyway, what's the Dodge Charger meme about? Popular car?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Young, dumb, and full of cum, back from a deployment with combat pay they couldn't spend and "ooooh look cool muscle car!" There's an entire industry of scummy car dealerships right outside base run by people specifically offering those vehicles to idiot 19 year olds that don't even understand what APR is. This exists to the point where I received mandatory briefings on returning to country spelling out exactly how many problems you will cause for leadership by getting these cars and going bankrupt shortly afterwards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young, dumb, and full of cum, back from a deployment with combat pay they couldn't spend and "ooooh look cool muscle car!" There's an entire industry of scummy car dealerships right outside base run by people specifically offering those vehicles to idiot 19 year olds that don't even understand what APR is. This exists to the point where I received mandatory briefings on returning to country spelling out exactly how many problems you will cause for leadership by getting these cars and going bankrupt shortly afterwards.

I see. Slightly amusing to hear about the briefings for managing personal finance.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:hmmyes: Jacksonville is nothing but car dealerships, lovely tattoo parlors, and strip clubs. The city is designed to fleece Marines.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I see. Slightly amusing to hear about the briefings for managing personal finance.

I was looking for some of the scans of various truth in lending sheets that show how bad many young boots get screwed but couldn’t find it. Lots of unscrupulous car dealers right outside base will set you up in a nice new car and take advantage of a military pay option to automatically deduct the massive payment from your paycheck before you even get it. The interest rates on these start at credit card rates (22% or so) and go up from there.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Hell, in bootcamp we had an hour long briefing on "do not get married. You have no idea what your life is going to be like a year from now and that's a huge commitment. Do not get married"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was looking for some of the scans of various truth in lending sheets that show how bad many young boots get screwed but couldn’t find it. Lots of unscrupulous car dealers right outside base will set you up in a nice new car and take advantage of a military pay option to automatically deduct the massive payment from your paycheck before you even get it. The interest rates on these start at credit card rates (22% or so) and go up from there.

CainFortea posted:

Hell, in bootcamp we had an hour long briefing on "do not get married. You have no idea what your life is going to be like a year from now and that's a huge commitment. Do not get married"

:staredog: I guess I'm tasting the crayon joke a bit more clearly now.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I don't think that is exclusive to the Marines , we got the same lectures when I was in the Navy. More just a bunch of 18 year olds who have a ton of money relative to what they are used to with a peer group that is going through the same.

Everyone was buying trucks and lifting them if they were rednecks when I was in, or they were buying VW Golfs and modifying them if they weren't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:staredog: I guess I'm tasting the crayon joke a bit more clearly now.

I can't find the original version of this video, so you'll have to deal with going to reddit to see one without audio. As he sniffs I think he says "mmm, coconut" and then says "thanks kids" as he's crunching it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/n6z7v4/military_ape_finds_tastiest_thing_in_care_package/

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: Jacksonville is nothing but car dealerships, lovely tattoo parlors, and strip clubs. The city is designed to fleece Marines.

I'm convinced Jacksonville is the worst place on earth. It's every bad stereotype of military towns and every bad stereotype of the south compressed into a singularity of shittness.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't find the original version of this video, so you'll have to deal with going to reddit to see one without audio. As he sniffs I think he says "mmm, coconut" and then says "thanks kids" as he's crunching it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/n6z7v4/military_ape_finds_tastiest_thing_in_care_package/

Somewhere there is a good diet joke too, given how jacked the lad is. :laffo:

Rakekniven posted:

I'm convinced Jacksonville is the worst place on earth. It's every bad stereotype of military towns and every bad stereotype of the south compressed into a singularity of shittness.

Sounds like I should update my assumption for Las Vegas being the worst noteworthy town in America.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Rakekniven posted:

It really, is. gently caress that place forever.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Somewhere there is a good diet joke too, given how jacked the lad is. :laffo:

Sounds like I should update my assumption for Las Vegas being the worst noteworthy town in America.

between jax and fayetteville there's nothing else in this country that can come close to the pit of despair that is eastern NC. FFS the most notable geographic feature is actually named "The Great Dismal Swamp"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

between jax and fayetteville there's nothing else in this country that can come close to the pit of despair that is eastern NC. FFS the most notable geographic feature is actually named "The Great Dismal Swamp"

But there’s cultural sites, like Groverhaus.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
truly, someone needs to find whatever types run local history museums in the great dismal swamp suburbia area and have them stand up a proper groverhaus history exhibit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Well, one of the most notable landmarks of Latvia also happens to be a swamp...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Well, one of the most notable landmarks of Latvia also happens to be a swamp...

i mean if you think about it

quote:

‎На берегу пустынных волн
Стоял он, дум великих полн,
И вдаль глядел. Пред ним широ́ко
Река неслася; бедный чёлн
По ней стремился одиноко.
По мшистым, топким берегам
Чернели избы здесь и там,
Приют убогого чухонца;
И лес, неведомый лучам
В тумане спрятанного солнца,
Кругом шумел.

are foundational works of russian literature not describing a man, full of hubris, surveying a vast swamp, on which he intends to build a great house and nigh, a city even, which ends up both majestic and a clusterfuck, renowned, but because it is not quite the shining example he originally envisioned? a startling edifice that outlives its creator, yet torments all who see it with his madness?

saint petersburg is a goddamn grovercity, in the fine russian tradition of building bigger and bigger things that don't quite work. they just somehow leapfrogged grover in time

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

My dad chose to retire in ENC, forcing me to the live out middle school and high-school in that hellhole. I've never lived anywhere worse.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Carteret posted:

My dad chose to retire in ENC, forcing me to the live out middle school and high-school in that hellhole. I've never lived anywhere worse.

Jfc, that's awful

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Carteret posted:

feel like CPS should be called on the parents of this poster...or whoever commissioned the Antwone Fisher movie should be looped in for OP's latent trauma to write an oscar winning screenplayer

whichever really

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The only bright side is that living near marines for that long made sure I never joined.

I enlisted Army instead! :v:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Carteret posted:

The only bright side is that living near marines for that long made sure I never joined.

I enlisted Army instead! :v:

Being around x made me never wanna be like them. So anyway I did x squared.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I used to teach fellow airmen (in the rank sense) how interest rates worked, how compounding interest works, the different kinds of IRA’s and also how important it was to have renters insurance. Even if you live on base. Hell, especially if you live on base. You think you are gonna be the rear end in a top hat that gets Uncle Sam to pay him what he’s truly owed? That’s reserved for military death row inmates.

I knew all that stuff because I was in this thing called FBLA in HIgh School. FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) was all about understanding finances, accounting, and various other business skills. I did good enough at FBLA stuff that I wound up being state secretary on the governing council. Not a super high position in the council, but still high enough to make a very Jewish mother proud.

Every Sunday in Boot Camp should have various mandatory personal finance and legal classes after church services. Wouldn’t have to lengthen boot camp, and you lessen the number of dumb new service members buying 42% APR 80 month 0 down loan on a used Dodge Challenger that’s automatic transmission only made it through the test drive because it’s filled with brake fluid.

Or extend boot camp a few days and make it an intensive serious of courses.

Even then, Joe is still gonna Joe, and Snuffy is still gonna Snuffy. The (ostensibly) most intelligent of our service members (Think Nukes, Linguists, Space, Certain Intel specialties, etc) fall prey to this poo poo at the same rate as their infantry and motor pool and admin peers.

The military doesn’t create the sickness I don’t think. It just acts as a very nutrient dense Petri dish for the sickness that brings itself to the military.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Marine story for the Marine thread.

Kith posted:

A story from a friend of mine, shared with permission:

quote:

a marine i used to know was legendary for this kinda poo poo. he would constantly get roaring drunk the night before PT, go off on some insane rant, and then pass out and still somehow make it through the day without falling out. it didn't help that he had his own cheer squad of shitheel orbiters that would goad him into doing it over and over just so they could listen to him talk about weird poo poo. it was an open secret that nobody really knew what to do with because hanging out with your buddies and having a good(???) time doesn't matter if the worst that happens is you occasionally puke on the 3 mile.

things came to a head when they got him ranting about THEM GAYS and revealing that his deepest fear was getting buttfucked. one of his idiots brought up the rape-x anti-penetration condoms and our hero got it in his head that he'd have to make his own to keep his rear end in a top hat virginial. everyone starts laughing until they realize that he's disappeared. a half-hearted search is conducted and he doesn't turn up, so everyone shrugs and figures he just went back to his bunk to sleep it off.

come PT the next day, he's missing. everyone freaks out because despite being an alcoholic, this guy is pretty serious about being a marine: missing PT isn't something he does. first place they check is his barracks room. there's blood all over the floor. everyone starts panicking until they hear crying from the bathroom. they kick down the door, and sure enough, there's even more blood and the dude is sobbing in the shower with gore-soaked fingers and empty bottles of granddad.

this absolute loving brain genius taped razor blades into his asscrack before he went to bed and woke up too drunk to peel them out.

our hero recovered without incident and, to my knowledge, wasn't even punished outside of mandatory rehab. the cheer squad was busted down to scrubbing toilets for the better part of a year.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jfc, that could've ended so much worse. Lol at the mental image of razor blades taped haphazardly inside an asscrrack though. Hopefully dude got over his alcoholism and homophobia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
this butt story makes me feel way worse than actual combat stories.

also while you people are still defending us here in DnD, I wanna tell my Marine story

when I went to MEPS for the Army, my roommate for the night was a future Marine. He failed the breathalyzer test they put you through like instantly next morning.

later, I fail to piss in front of my new closest friends, I just can't go, so I have to stay another night just to prove my piss has no drugs

this night, another future Marine. the literal stupidest motherfucker I have ever met. His phone alarm went off a few hours before we were supposed to get up and he couldn't turn it off. Dude could not figure out snooze mode, or, apparently, numbers, or the concept of time.

anyways we eventually went back to MEPS. He got into the Marines and served honourably (afaik) while I noped out of my boot camp date and moved to Canada because why not?

semper fi and thanks for your service, Marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That’s a military success story if I ever heard one