Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It honestly makes me wonder why this hasn't been a discussion yet. For the students that came here just to go to school, there is absolutely no point to sticking around anymore. For Kat and Annie it's different because they basically just live here/it's where their family is, but for regular students it would actually be kind of absurd to NOT go home.

There's nothing in the Court left for Paz and even if she wasn't doubtful of Kat's future it wouldn't be wise to stick around for that reason.

I wonder if the Court even told people's families that the program was essentially shutting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah the whole school premise kind of died haed.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Riot Bus posted:

It honestly makes me wonder why this hasn't been a discussion yet. For the students that came here just to go to school, there is absolutely no point to sticking around anymore. For Kat and Annie it's different because they basically just live here/it's where their family is, but for regular students it would actually be kind of absurd to NOT go home.

There's nothing in the Court left for Paz and even if she wasn't doubtful of Kat's future it wouldn't be wise to stick around for that reason.

I wonder if the Court even told people's families that the program was essentially shutting down.

It's a big research institution where it seemed like a huge chunk of work centered around studying the aether, too. What happens to all those researchers who don't want to go to a new magic-free reality because they've dedicated their lives to studying magic? Or the ones who are also magical and therefore auto blocked like Kat's parents, Parley, Smitty, Jones, etc.? It's kind of been a big void in the center of the story regarding how everyone besides Kat, Rey, and Annie feel about this or what exactly is going to happen once some of the Court elite leave.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a big research institution where it seemed like a huge chunk of work centered around studying the aether, too. What happens to all those researchers who don't want to go to a new magic-free reality because they've dedicated their lives to studying magic? Or the ones who are also magical and therefore auto blocked like Kat's parents, Parley, Smitty, Jones, etc.? It's kind of been a big void in the center of the story regarding how everyone besides Kat, Rey, and Annie feel about this or what exactly is going to happen once some of the Court elite leave.

Yeah, exactly!

This is the moment to see the different philosophies of the Court's people and what direction they want to take in now that presumably a good chunk of the staff is leaving.

The principal guy was invited to leave, but without his daughter, right? He might stick around or even quit altogether to live elsewhere, he was clearly tired and fed up in his position every time we saw him.

This is the time to make all those shadowy figures we always saw standing next to Jones, Eglamore and the principal actual real people.

Now that I think about it, other than the bitter farewells, the random mass of shadowy people leaving the Court shouldn't even change that much? Loup is still there, the forest people are still there, all that would change is who is in charge of administration I guess.

Heck, this could actually be not the first time something like this happens, if people are retroactively erased and forgotten entirely in the regular world.

Could explain why there are so many empty buildings decaying!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

isasphere posted:

Heck, this could actually be not the first time something like this happens, if people are retroactively erased and forgotten entirely in the regular world.

Could explain why there are so many empty buildings decaying!

That would honestly be an incredible twist, right down to the people who leave rediscovering the same ether-free planet over and over again and finding it already inhabited.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It feels low stakes and impersonal and high stakes inconsequential

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Annointed posted:

It feels low stakes and impersonal and high stakes inconsequential

Perfect for the comic then

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Paz "I'll leave so the real ship of Kat and Annie can be canon"

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Good grief the drop shadow on Paz' tears is insanely distracting

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh no, Paz! Don't trust Annie to do anything; the plot won't allow it!

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
flash forward 6 months to Paz on a beach in Galicia as the Reavers descend on her, "This is all Annie's fault."

The end. No moral.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, it is possible Tom took the backlash from Annie taking the blame for everything to heart and had characters accept the blame for their own choices (or maybe other two were just gaslighting her and/or actually working for the Court and uses her to track down Zimmy). I mean, it's not like he's kept doubling down on blaming her for everything.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Where are Kat's parents

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what are they up to

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

why are they absent entirely through all of this

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Potato Salad posted:

because it's a YA fantasy, parents are never around until it's plot relevant

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

They come from their holiday or whatever to find robo-god Kat. "ANNIE WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Where are Kat's parents

They are having dinner with Renard. He even decided to turn off the ether-phone to avoid checking on Annie ever 15 minutes. She'll be fine.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Something's off, but I can't put my finger on it

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
See? She's fine.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, hi Zimmy.

How many people do we know have pitch-black eyes in this comic? I wouldn't put it past Zimmy to body jack Kat just to go "You see? poo poo like this is why you don't play with the Ether. Here's Kat's body back, BTW."

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
It's pretty similar to her mom's eyes

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I always thought she was just squinting all the time and it was a stylistic choice.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I see Kat has tapped into a sufficiently powerful source of energy to truly unleash her spark and take her first step on the path to joining the ancient queens. I look forward to when she finally leaves the castle Court in two more years.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Something's off, but I can't put my finger on it

I take it you've never worn contact lenses. (dumb joke, I know)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, this is... dumb.

This heel turn would be a lot more satisfying if Kat and her character development were present in the comic at any point in the past, like, three years?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, this is... dumb.

This heel turn would be a lot more satisfying if Kat and her character development were present in the comic at any point in the past, like, three years?

Yeah but we needed that entire chapter devoted to Loup's romance instead

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh look comic book villain Kat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It just runs in the family, we're finally finding out why Anja's eyes are always all black

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wasn't she already doing this

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I thought she was doing this for years

she *has* been doing this for years

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

But now can levitate. Despite showing she was able to do absolutely everything she wanted and no one ever said no to her.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
To be fair she already built a machine that does that. It was the anti-gravity machine she built out of paperclips or something that she used to conduct her science fair experiment.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It just runs in the family, we're finally finding out why Anja's eyes are always all black

Anja has actually been mad with power all this time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snake Maze posted:

Anja has actually been mad with power all this time.

anja's going to come by like "oh yeah I remember the first time I transcended humanity and monologued like a supervillian, so embarassing in hindsight, they grow up so fast, don't do anything I wouldn't do kat" and that'll be that

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I don't really see this as a heel turn because she is, as it stands, not actually doing anything wrong. Her phrasing is ominous but she's just talking about remotely accessing her machinery to built stuff and then teleport it in on command. This as actually objectively rad and if we didn't have the context of the whole machine goddess thing (and Zimmy's warning) it wouldn't be explicitly villainous at all.

I don't really see this as any abrupt change in morals, tbqh.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sure, if you ignore framing, tone, and narrative shorthand, and instead look at the scene entirely literally, this isn't a heel turn at all. But "heel turn" is a narrative concept.

If this isn't a turning point for revealing some troubling moral callousness from Kat, then it's clearly meant as a fakeout for one. Which is what I actually expect, though.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Make of that what you will.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ditocoaf posted:

Sure, if you ignore framing, tone, and narrative shorthand, and instead look at the scene entirely literally, this isn't a heel turn at all. But "heel turn" is a narrative concept.

If this isn't a turning point for revealing some troubling moral callousness from Kat, then it's clearly meant as a fakeout for one. Which is what I actually expect, though.

I'm pretty sure we were supposed to pick up on moral callousness from Kat awhile back, particularly when she was excited about doing research on the new planet without any regulations in her discussion with Annie. And here where she drags her friend and partner into performing untested surgery on her, with zero appreciation for the emotional anguish she's put them through just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Riot Bus posted:

I don't really see this as a heel turn because she is, as it stands, not actually doing anything wrong. Her phrasing is ominous but she's just talking about remotely accessing her machinery to built stuff and then teleport it in on command. This as actually objectively rad and if we didn't have the context of the whole machine goddess thing (and Zimmy's warning) it wouldn't be explicitly villainous at all.

I don't really see this as any abrupt change in morals, tbqh.

Ditocoaf posted:

Well hey, look, it's another example of an incident in which the framing and content of a scene is discordant, leading to a lack of clarity about what is even going on! (At least there's no immigrant alley attack this time.)