Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I don’t think it’s a good thing to do, morally speaking, to say something like that without providing a source or at least details about the wrong an author is alleged to have committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I mean honestly just go in the politics channel on his discord. He’s said a lot of weird things about Covid, vaccines, claiming that the only countries where queer people aren’t accepted are ones with stoning laws on the books, etc. He’s also gone to bat defending Tucker Carlson for his role in spreading misinformation regarding Covid vaccines and claiming he isn’t responsible for the people who died as a result of that misinformation. I’m lazy, on my phone, and don’t feel like taking a bunch of screen shots and uploading them. Just go check his discord.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Love weird lazy snitches in the webnovel thread, definitely the content I crave.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Not saying that I don't want to know about those things, but if you can't be bothered to actually back it up yourself, why mention it at all except to get a reaction out of people?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I went and did the work and what I found with a brief search (Author is JLMullins), its annoying to get good screenshots because there's a lot of other people in between

Trans-related stuff

Carlson/Vaccine stuff

Seems like at best a "centrist" that's actually a Republican, but there are definitely far-right open transphobes/homophobes that I saw in my brief scan allowed to remain and argue in the chat (a Michael Knowles defender and someone else whining that they got yelled at by people for calling someone the f-slur), and it's enough for me to cancel my Patreon.

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 8, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Most of that doesn't seem all that bad, a bit misinformed but none of it looks malicious.
Imo this really shouldn't be the place to go after authors unless they are straight up nuts (like the Paranoid Mage guy)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Sorry, I don't believe someone claiming they've seen stuff from Matt Walsh and looked into conversion therapy camps and in both cases thought they seemed fine, somehow conveniently missing anything bad

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 8, 2023

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, those are some pretty loud dogwhistles, and full of 'maintaining tiny amounts of plausible deniability, which is actually less plausible than saying nothing'

"I haven't seen much of Matt Walsh's stuff, I just know in-depth details about why the time he directed a hate mob a a children's hospital was a good thing, and just beef with that one specific institution. I haven't seen anything else, so I have no idea if this represents a pattern or anything."

Then "Sometimes conversion camps are ok, they were just affiliated with organisations that made negative statements regarding homosexuality. Just blowing up over nothing, really."

"But what if a doctor needs to know your assigned-gender-at-birth and you're unconscious? Gotta have it on your driver's license, so they don't misdiagnose you in case of a stroke!"

Probably mark that author and their spaces as 'active recruiting ground for white supremacists' and there's a massive venn diagram overlap with antivax too.

Maybe they're just a massive idiot and willingly ignorant. But that's a tiny maybe. And either way, if you don't kick nazis out your bar, now you're a nazi bar because they bring their mates and regular folk stop turning up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Also "the hospital was pushing gender affirmation surgery on people because it was a big money maker" was a bullshit story, if anyone thinks that wasn't obvious

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ahaha, Purple Smile is the perfect wingman. Pisces will never let Lion live this Lion x Pawn thing down. TWI: Vol 8

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BadMedic posted:

Yeah it's not an exact 1:1 comparison to IRL colonialism, but I disagree that they are not extracting wealth. My take is the Artonans are a nearly post-scarcity civ, so material wealth in general is worthless to them. That side bit where a Rabbit makes like what, $50k an hour folding napkins very much shows the wealth disparity between them. So they are extracting wealth, but in a more metaphysical sense with the Avowed. And if that's the point you were making uh whoops I guess I am aggressively agreeing with you?

Also my take is the Artonans don't become Avowed because the Avowed system is just a controlled way to make use of your inherent magic power. So the vassal states get 'given' the system, while the Artonans learn to just outright use their magic power.

Final bit is the story has shown how metaphysically 'important' a fair deal/trade is, but such a huge power/knowledge imbalance between Earth and the Artonans can make a 'fair' deal extremely unfair. I think the Artonans have made a science of extracting the most value out of a 'fair' trade in this setting. I get "natives selling their land for glass beads" vibes from the deals earth has made.

Material wealth may be worthless to the Artonans, but the fact that they don't need to extract it still has a significant impact on the relationship their colonized/vassal states have with them (since it removes the single biggest motivation colonized people have to rebel against the colonial power). In the real world people try to make the "yeah the US/West is profiting from other countries' labor, but it's not harming those other countries" argument, but it's pretty much always complete bullshit (since in reality trillions of dollars in wealth/assets are transferred from the global south to wealthy nations). But in this case, the overwhelming majority of Earthlings actually aren't going to see any clear benefit from ending the relationship Earth has with the Artonans (and they're certainly not going to be willing to directly conflict with them just out of a vague sense that they have an unfair/inequal relationship).

When I mention the metaphysical, I mean that there's likely some way that the Artonans actually are directly loving over their colonized planets, but in a way that the colonized species lack the knowledge to comprehend (and likely hasn't had significant consequences yet). It's probably related to the reason Joe seems to view the Avowed as a longer-term threat - there's probably some reason for him to think that the vassal states will turn against them at some point in the future (but not during their lifetimes).

I had also completely forgotten about (or missed) the thing LLSix mentioned about the Earth having demon invasions. So you can already point to that as a metaphysical consequence.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

I had also completely forgotten about (or missed) the thing LLSix mentioned about the Earth having demon invasions. So you can already point to that as a metaphysical consequence.

It's been mentioned in passing only a few times. The most direct statement about it was all of one sentence in chapter sixteen, so I wouldn't be surprised if people missed it: "He didn’t have a lot of knowledge on real demons. Earth was only contractually obligated to deal with one or two a year, and they all landed in a controlled zone on Anesidora where they were demolished in a matter of seconds by a few hundred Avowed working together."

It occurs to me that them showing up on Anesidora, where all the uneven word-chainers live, may not entirely be a coincidence.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LLSix posted:

It's been mentioned in passing only a few times. The most direct statement about it was all of one sentence in chapter sixteen, so I wouldn't be surprised if people missed it: "He didn’t have a lot of knowledge on real demons. Earth was only contractually obligated to deal with one or two a year, and they all landed in a controlled zone on Anesidora where they were demolished in a matter of seconds by a few hundred Avowed working together."

It occurs to me that them showing up on Anesidora, where all the uneven word-chainers live, may not entirely be a coincidence.

From that phrasing it's hard to tell if they're just showing up there, or if they're being guided/sent there in some fashion (since at the same time it mentions "Earth was only contractually obligated to deal with one or two," which implies that they're only showing up due to said obligation).

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Going to agree with whoever said Super Supportive's story has a lot of parallels with how the western banks/financial systems manipulated and abuse(d) non-Western countries to give them unfair contracts. To me this kind of "colonalism" better matches the world building than the typical "Spain and Portugal sends armies and settlers to colonizes Latin America" story.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah, I also read it as neocolonialism not colonialism.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

That's a really good phrasing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, Godart absolutely did not earn that victory he got against the goblins. He bungled at every point. Starting at the initial attack on the Flooded Waters Tribe where he kicked the beehive and continuing all the way through the siege where his army lost against the goblins and to the end where he refused Rags' extremely generous offer of peace despite her complete and overwhelming victory against him. Were it not for Tyrion showing up as a deus ex machina to save the day he would have gotten himself and everyone he was responsible for killed. It wasn't even as if he knew Tyrion was coming to his rescue. He was completely flabbergasted by his arrival.

0/10 job there Emperor. Really terrible work.

I do hope that Sir Kerrig recognizes that Rags did give peace a chance even to the last moment. She really went above and beyond what could be expected from her given the atrocities commited against her tribe by Godart

TWI: Vol 8

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 9, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, Godart absolutely did not earn that victory he got against the goblins. He bungled at every point. Starting at the initial attack on the Flooded Waters Tribe where he kicked the beehive and continuing all the way through the siege where his army lost against the goblins and to the end where he refused Rags' extremely generous offer of peace despite her complete and overwhelming victory against him. Were it not for Tyrion showing up as a deus ex machina to save the day he would have gotten himself and everyone he was responsible for killed. It wasn't even as if he knew Tyrion was coming to his rescue. He was completely flabbergasted by his arrival.

0/10 job there Emperor. Really terrible work.

I do hope that Sir Kerrig recognizes that Rags did give peace a chance even to the last moment. She really went above and beyond what could be expected from her given the atrocities commited against her tribe by Godart

TWI: Vol 8

This is the start of when laken starts getting terminal [Emperor]-brain

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished Vol 7 of TWI. It's neat to see more and more people recognizing the personhood of the goblins. A few drakes and gnolls in Liscor realizing that the hobs there have been nothing but good. Selis finally getting her grandmother to approve them as adventurers. Even Sir Kerrig and (to a lesser extent) Lady Caveis have started to recognize them as not mere monsters but thinking people. That gives me some hope that Erin won't remain the only person willing to treat them with respect. Goblins continue to rule.

Edit: Kind of funny how Niers has seen his chess friend now, he just doesn't know she was the one holding the inn in the defense of Liscor

On to Vol 8.

I'm still in volume 8! You've caught up!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

This is the start of when laken starts getting terminal [Emperor]-brain

I have to imagine that Tyrion showing up and going “Humanity First! Down with the Untermensch!” and Laken going, “Hey, yeah that sounds like a good idea Herr Tyrion” is not a good sign for Magnolia's hope to use him toward her goal for peace on the continent. She's honestly been racking up L after L so far. Not really impressed with her scheming. TWI: Vol 8

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I'm still in volume 8! You've caught up!

Yep! Still got half of Vol 8 left to go, but I'll be caught up then. Looks like Vol 9 will be out later this month, in a couple of weeks. I'll probably wait for that audiobook and run through that before I consider whether to continue with the WN from there. Looking at my place in the story in the WN though, it seems I'm less than 25% done which is... uh... not much considering how much I've gotten through already.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 9, 2023

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
New updates coming to Arrogant Young Master, hard to remember what happened since i last read it tho. Anyway a batch dropped and supposedly more will be coming in the future

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is it just me, or have the ads on RR been getting more obnoxious?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Obnoxious? SYSTEM PROGRESSION FANTASY How do you mean? DARK SUPERHERO APOCALYPSE Seems pretty normal to me. NEVER GOING TO KU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

blastron posted:

Obnoxious? SYSTEM PROGRESSION FANTASY How do you mean? DARK SUPERHERO APOCALYPSE Seems pretty normal to me. NEVER GOING TO KU

Never going to KU is great because it turns out it is going to KU and the story is being removed from royal road

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Prediction for Vol 8 of TWI:

With Erin's "Plan G" to turn all of the rasgar's goblin slaves against them I'm going to be surprised if one of the 5 Hobs doesn't become a new chieftain. I also put a low, but non-zero chance of ERIN herself becoming a goblin chieftain given how so many goblins now look up to her to lead them. Man that would really spice things up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:allears:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

imnotinsane posted:

Never going to KU is great because it turns out it is going to KU and the story is being removed from royal road

Also featuring a bunch of vagueposting about how the reason it's going to KU is private and it's not because of money.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

Is it just me, or have the ads on RR been getting more obnoxious?

I mean, that's why I ran a rickroll as an ad. Because I thought it'd be hilarious

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
On that note is there a way to remove the video ads or at least limit them to wifi only?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Is there a better way to read RR stuff on mobile than the browser?

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Kyoujin posted:

On that note is there a way to remove the video ads or at least limit them to wifi only?

Royal Road doesn't run video ads. They keep getting offered a lot of money to, but they refuse to cave, because it'd be bad for readers.

The ad is a clear "this goes to youtube" ad, where it plays

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Selkie Myth posted:

Royal Road doesn't run video ads. They keep getting offered a lot of money to, but they refuse to cave, because it'd be bad for readers.

The ad is a clear "this goes to youtube" ad, where it plays

Weird because I definitely get ads that play a video once then it loads an image ad after. Guess I'll have to look into what is going on if it's not RR.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You can use Lightnovel Crawler to download web novels as epubs (or other formats)

https://github.com/dipu-bd/lightnovel-crawler

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can use Lightnovel Crawler to download web novels as epubs (or other formats)

Ooh thanks, I wish I'd known about this when I was scraping poo poo into epubs a few months back.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you use calibre there is also the fanficfare plugin. It puts the epub directly into your library and puts the url into the metadata so that you can update with new chapters with one click.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webtoepub/akiljllkbielkidmammnifcnibaigelm?hl=en

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well that's it for the current published releases of The Wandering Inn for me. I'm really enjoying this series so far, though I've consumed it all through audiobooks. I'll probably wait for the next book to be released later this month before I decide whether to continue on to the web novel or not. But I feel like the VA for the series really does add quite a bit to the experience, so I'm not sure I will jump ahead.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Kyoujin posted:

Weird because I definitely get ads that play a video once then it loads an image ad after. Guess I'll have to look into what is going on if it's not RR.

I asked Kana about it.

They don't have any intentionally. But programmatic advertising is programmatic advertising, malicious actors do whatever the hell they please til they get caught.

Like. The ads are through google, and part of it is google not vetting things properly. Not much more RR can do on their end.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Empty permission policy for auto play may do some good? .... Though really, Chrome needs capability to disable video on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Stop using browsers made by advertisers. I cannot stress enough how much nicer the web is on literally any browser not made by an advertising agency.