Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nystral posted:

I've been told my ATH-M50X cans are too distracting on video calls.

I too must know more about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i've been wearing iems all day every day for years, what should i be looking out for here? can you link some info about what you're concerned about?
The last time I went to an audiologist they were pretty insistent that it's bad to wear earbuds more than a couple hours a day. Doing some quick googling it's looks like mostly about ear infections so maybe they were just being a crank.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

qirex posted:

What does that mean, even? There approximately one million sub-$200 IEMs now that manufacturers have figured out they can send review pairs to youtubers.

The Grumbles posted:

I too must know more about this

Ok about my M50x - they've got thick velour ear pads and additional padding across the head band. As a result there is a gap of ~1" / 2 cm near my temples between my scalp and where the headband hits the earpads. If you use a digital background like I do to hide the mess of your home office / lab / guestroom the digital greenscreen effect has trouble with the headphones and the gaps next to the head.

As a result there is constant flickering around my head when I'm on video that some have noted can be distracting when I'm talking. As my role evolves and I spend more time in front of the screen on video it was suggested I look into ways to fix it.

My space is too small to fix it using something like a screen or other object to block the view and no use a digital background. Also there is a strongly encouraged push to use branded Zoom backgrounds by the org and when your entire management chain is using one you kind of half to. In testing I've found my gaudy AF Beats Tour are perceived better by viewers then the cans. However...

qirex posted:

e: also it's not healthy for your ears to have the canals sealed up all day every day.

IME this is true, for me I deal with excessive wax build up. However if I stay on top of it - mainly paying my Primary to scoop it out ~2x year - it's fine.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

sure, there are lots of great options. what kind of music are you into?

This literally will be for zoom calls, all music and podcasts are played off other devices. I guess I need to hear their voice as clear as possible? My existing tours are good, but I'd prefer an over the ear loop with a more custom cable length of ~5' / 1.5M like my M50x has currently.

I'll check out the recommendations thanks.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Do you need to block out outside sounds?

I use bone conduction earphones (Aeropex Aftershokz) for meetings, exercise, yard work, etc. Ears are totally uncovered and they're practically invisible from the front. The sound is perfectly fine for speech and honestly serviceable for music if you're just listening casually or want something in the background.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Nystral posted:

I've been told my ATH-M50X cans are too distracting on video calls.

Glad that in 2023 this is what people mean when they complain about being distracted by someone’s cans at work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias posted:

Hello, I need new headphones! The ones I have are literally melting away as the glue and stitching comes undone.

Budget - No more than $400, preferably less than $300
Source - Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - It would be nice, but not mandatory.
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear full sized
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced, I guess?
Past Headphones - Sorry, not sure what ones I've had. I've purchased both BT headphones w/ noise cancelling (which couldn't be disabled which sucked), along with a relatively decent corded full size set.
Preferred Music - Armin van Buuren, Kaskade, but also jazz, and podcasts.

Ok, let me try this a different way:

I want to get Bluetooth headphones. What should I not get, since apparently "just pick something from Amazon" is the level of advice I'm going to get otherwise.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Volmarias posted:

I want to get Bluetooth headphones. What should I not get, since apparently "just pick something from Amazon" is the level of advice I'm going to get otherwise.

Slightly over budget but I’m a big fan of my Focal Elegias and Qudelix 5k. I’d honestly try them on, fit is so personal especially with bigger/heavier over ears.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

qirex posted:

Slightly over budget but I’m a big fan of my Focal Elegias and Qudelix 5k. I’d honestly try them on, fit is so personal especially with bigger/heavier over ears.

Thanks!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Do we have a go-to IEM (cabled) for ~50 bucks or less? Do I just grab a Moondrop Chu? Salnotes Zero?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Volmarias posted:

The Audeze Maxwell are back in stock right now at $300, and they also work via Bluetooth. Plus you can use the Maxwell as a headset for gaming or calls

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do we have a go-to IEM (cabled) for ~50 bucks or less? Do I just grab a Moondrop Chu? Salnotes Zero?

The Truthear Hola is worth looking at if you're looking for something warmer and bassier than those two

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i liked the chu better than the 7hz zero in SQ

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You must really hate low end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Truthear Zero also real good.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redeyes posted:

You must really hate low end.

if i really want low end i'll just listen to my speakers

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
chu is a nice iem but is definitely bass light and also the cable is not removable. that used to be not a big deal at the price point but the zero and hola exist so....

Nystral posted:

This literally will be for zoom calls, all music and podcasts are played off other devices. I guess I need to hear their voice as clear as possible? My existing tours are good, but I'd prefer an over the ear loop with a more custom cable length of ~5' / 1.5M like my M50x has currently.

you should not spend 100+ on iems then! get the salnotes zero or truthear hola! truthear also makes an iem called the zero but it's twice as expensive, it's all very confusing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Holas don't seem to be available over here (I'm currently in Spain), so I'll just grab the Zeros. Thanks a bunch!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

chu is a nice iem but is definitely bass light and also the cable is not removable. that used to be not a big deal at the price point but the zero and hola exist so....

you should not spend 100+ on iems then! get the salnotes zero or truthear hola! truthear also makes an iem called the zero but it's twice as expensive, it's all very confusing.

Thank you, I had come to the same realization when looking over the weekend, but I'd nice to get some affirmation.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Simgot EA500 is better than all the lower end stuff being discussed. 59 bux on sale.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Any mid-range earbuds (ANC is optional but would be nice) that have actual "push" buttons rather than whatever ?inductive? touch most of them have now? I wear rubber gloves at work and it's hard to get good tap controls on those types. The previous pair I had (can't remember which) had actual push-in buttons that gave good physical feedback of a button press.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not that I'm aware of, the only ones that have anything close to buttons these days are the Airpods with the stem squeeze.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I think the closest thing is neckband ones like the Beats Flex.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

beats fit pro have an actual click. i have a pair and like them a lot.

my only complaints are that the transparency mode is bad (but who cares, don’t really need it) and they leave my ears sore after several hours of wear at the point the wingtip thing touches my ear. they’re great for the gym or shopping trip, but i wouldn’t want to wear them 8 hours per day for work, i’d get real headphones for that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

LegoMan posted:

Any mid-range earbuds (ANC is optional but would be nice) that have actual "push" buttons rather than whatever ?inductive? touch most of them have now? I wear rubber gloves at work and it's hard to get good tap controls on those types. The previous pair I had (can't remember which) had actual push-in buttons that gave good physical feedback of a button press.

Not necessarily exactly traditional earbuds, but the Anker Sport x10 has actual buttons. Depending on your job and preferences the ear clips may be a bonus or annoying. Has ANC, but it's apparently very mediocre as well as transparency mode.

Looks like their Liberty Pro 2's also have a button and are a more traditional form factor, but no ANC. They have a poo poo-ton of earbuds with weird options so they might have another model with buttons as well.

Both can be found at pretty reasonable prices at Amazon, especially if you're willing to go "renewed". FWIW, I have worked with Anker support a couple times for issues two times in the past and getting replacements was quick and easy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Jabras have click buttons, too. Like elite 75t's and elite active 7's. Also have ANC and “hearthrough” but I don’t know how well they work.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Jabras have click buttons, too. Like elite 75t's and elite active 7's. Also have ANC and “hearthrough” but I don’t know how well they work.

oh poo poo I couldn't remember what my old pair until you said Jabra but I remember the buttons being great

until I accidentally knocked it out of my ear and it went between the cracks in the elevator when the door was open

Thanks for the advice everyone

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yo thanks to this thread I decided to try the galaxy buds 2 and they're p great. Solid anc and sound quality. Nice and easy to use.

:cheers:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My left galaxy bud pro is dead I think, after long and true service, and I'd like to replace the set with something very similar. same size profile, big enough to spot when I've put them somewhere dumb, can be dropped by accident. Would be nice if it's affordable, as I'm still thinking about buying a new headset for the PC. The galaxy bud 2 is probably a stellar buy, but will I be disappointed with something cheaper?

Edit: well, poo poo. this is tempting.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 8, 2023

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Black Griffon posted:

My left galaxy bud pro is dead I think, after long and true service, and I'd like to replace the set with something very similar. same size profile, big enough to spot when I've put them somewhere dumb, can be dropped by accident. Would be nice if it's affordable, as I'm still thinking about buying a new headset for the PC. The galaxy bud 2 is probably a stellar buy, but will I be disappointed with something cheaper?

Edit: well, poo poo. this is tempting.

You've possibly tried this, but there's apparently a fix for your issue:
https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-buds-plus-live-randomly-dead-how-to-fix-revive/

I really love my buds2, but I haven't compared them to either Pro model.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Different problem than that I'm afraid. There's sound, but it's infinitesimally low. I've tried cleaning the speaker grille in case it was errant ear wax, but nothing seems to help. Occasionally I've had a slight volume increase, which makes me think something is just broken in there and when I gently caress with it it I jiggle something in place, but I can't replicate it and it's barely there anyways.

zhar
May 3, 2019

i'm being tempted by the new airpod pros (i want wireless anc buds) but the galaxy buds, even the pros (currently on offer) are significantly cheaper so im being a bit torn. any advice would be appreciated.

i am semi apple ecosystem, i have a macbook and a iphone (but not one that can scan my ears), but windows / linux desktop which i might want to use with them a significant amount of time in cases when i want the transparency over the comfort of my closed cup headphones. i dont have any samsung devices except an old 1080p monitor which is unlikely to be relevant.

when the batteries become unusable i should be able to get at least one service from apple, albeit at a price i won't be happy with (but less than buying a new product) as they provide service for a minimum 5 yrs since they last sold the product. not sure what samsung policy is, hard to find, but i guess it doesnt matter so much given the price difference.

does ipx4 protect against running in rain?

basically, im inclined towards the airpods because i feel like they'll integrate better with my apple products, but i need someone to convince me it will not be terrible value at near twice the price of samsung alternatives. i like a lot of things apple do but i am quite mean so the pricing is quite a bitter pill but it is one im willing to swallow if the experience is going to be much better.

i also heard that the battery longevity on the newer pro case is not so good maybe because of the airtag stuff. is this something i could disable for better battery? i dont think i would put something of this price somewhere id lose it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

zhar posted:

i'm being tempted by the new airpod pros (i want wireless anc buds) but the galaxy buds, even the pros (currently on offer) are significantly cheaper so im being a bit torn. any advice would be appreciated.

i am semi apple ecosystem, i have a macbook and a iphone (but not one that can scan my ears), but windows / linux desktop which i might want to use with them a significant amount of time in cases when i want the transparency over the comfort of my closed cup headphones. i dont have any samsung devices except an old 1080p monitor which is unlikely to be relevant.

when the batteries become unusable i should be able to get at least one service from apple, albeit at a price i won't be happy with (but less than buying a new product) as they provide service for a minimum 5 yrs since they last sold the product. not sure what samsung policy is, hard to find, but i guess it doesnt matter so much given the price difference.

basically, im inclined towards the airpods because i feel like they'll integrate better with my apple products, but i need someone to convince me it will not be terrible value at near twice the price of samsung alternatives. i like a lot of things apple do but i am quite mean so the pricing is quite a bitter pill but it is one im willing to swallow if the experience is going to be much better.

i also heard that the battery longevity on the newer pro case is not so good maybe because of the airtag stuff. is this something i could disable for better battery? i dont think i would put something of this price somewhere id lose it.

I got Airpod Pro 2s (the newest ones) over the holidays when they were $50 off and I have zero regrets about choosing them over Beats/Galaxy/etc. The seamlessness and ANC quality that I get with 99% of my uses, which are me puttering around or out and about with my phone, that I'm willing to put up with more basic functionality elsewhere the 1% of the time I've decided to use them with my PC or whatever for whatever reason, instead of using a wired headset/etc. The ANC is an absolute gamechanger for pretty much any ambient noise. If the Galaxies/etc are rated even slightly lower in that regard, plus the seamlessness with Apple devices, then the $70-100 savings aren't worth it IMO.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

zhar posted:

Just got them and I really like them. They sound great, and transparency mode is excellent - it’s kind of the opposite of ANC where you can hear everything around you (but still hear your music really clearly). They’re very comfortable, although I haven’t tried the Samsungs to compare. And honestly they just integrate really well with your iPhone and whatever else. There are apps on the windows store that replicate a lot of that instant switching stuff. Latency isn’t great on PC though so they’re not the best for gaming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you have a MacBook and iPhone, get the Airpods.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got these Shure wireless se210s as a gift, and as much as I appreciate it, they just lose so hard to the AirPods in form factor and convenience.

I’m amazed at how good the Pro2’s are for their size. The Shure charging case doesn’t fit in my pocket and they’ve got grapes hanging behind my ears.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah i keep on going back to the airpod pro 2 even though i have gone thru stuff like the bose qc2 or sony xm4
the airpods beat everything else on the market imo even if other earbuds might technically beat it on individual features

wish it had USB-C charging tho

zhar
May 3, 2019

thanks that is a lot of convincing. think im going to keep an eye out to see if i get can get a decent sale price in the next month and probably spend the savings right back on applecare.

i want wireless as wires are really starting to grate when exercising especially, and anc for meditating. normally i'd be looking at some budget option for the former and continue dealing distraction or maybe some good earplugs for the latter, but i feel like treating myself atm. it would still be a lot easier sell if i could expect a good 5-6 yrs instead of 2-3 at the price though lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything that can make a wired pair of headphones wireless, that DOESN'T involve Bluetooth or analog radio frequency? Basically like the Arctis Pro Wireless uses an encrypted 2.4ghz that has like a hundred feet of range and no perceivable latency. Is there some kind of kit like that which I could use to make a pair of Astro A40 wireless?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I threw out a whole bunch of wireless stuff in a cleanout recently. A big pile of wasted money IMO.

True wireless bluetooth earbuds for phone pairing & casual music / youtube listening make sense. Any other use gently caress it, give me a cable.

edit - Don't take me too seriously. I have bad audio taste. (looks down at Xenns Up, I love these things)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 10, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

True wireless bluetooth earbuds for phone pairing & casual music / youtube listening make sense. Any other use gently caress it, give me a cable.

I have hearing damage anyway so I don't need some flawless audio quality. Arctis Pro Wireless are super convenient and sound perfect to me except I find the pressure and lack of breathability uncomfortable.

Hmm. I wonder if I can buy a damaged pair of Arctic Pro Wireless like with a snapped hinge, then tear out the PCB and battery slot, then solder a 3.5mm headphone/mic jack to the PCB and attach all those guts to the side of my Astro A40. I don't see why that wouldn't work, except from what I can see the A40 speakers might have a slightly different impedance, and the Arctis I assume would be tuned way different since it assumes a seal on your head? Is that anything I could overcome with the equalizer? I'm tempted to try...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

DancingShade posted:

I threw out a whole bunch of wireless stuff in a cleanout recently. A big pile of wasted money IMO.

edit - Don't take me too seriously. I have bad audio taste. (looks down at Xenns Up, I love these things)

i went back to wired mice and keyboards after a decade of wireless because it just doesn’t matter for things that just stay on your desk forever, plus even the good 2.4ghz dongles glitch out from time to time.

but i’ll never go back to wired headphones, the freedom to wander around the house on a discord chat between games or go to the kitchen to get something to eat or drink during meetings when i’m wfh without missing anything is absolutely worth it.

anyway my current pair, hyperx cloud flight, is falling apart - volume slider is broken, it’s got a noticeable hiss when there’s no other audio, and the earcups are completely shot. they also have never sounded that great, just ok. thinking it’s time to upgrade, and i went ahead this week with a (back)order for the audeze maxwell.

i’m still a bit suspicious that the Maxwell will actually be as good as the initial reviews say, because it seems like very few people actually got them in the first round of shipments and the youtube reviews out there give off strong influencer vibes.

anyone here been able to try them or know a trustworthy reviewer who has?