Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Garp is the strongest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Garp is the strongest

aight

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

oddium posted:

columbo: in volume 19, page 185, panel 3, galdino's floating right on the top of the water like a cork

oda: a lot of people float. i float, certainly. why shouldn't mr 3 float

columbo: well galdino's a devil fruit user. my nephew, he took a bite out of a devil fruit, he tells me water hates him. sinks like a stone as soon as he's in. how is galdino floating on top of the water if he's a hammer??

oda: ... well. things arent' always as they seem detective. it may look like he's floating on the water, but there's a small piece of "incredibly floaty wood" below him. on a good day floaty wood has a float strength of 13 pukas

columbo: [claps hands] that explains it. thank you very much oda san. oh, there is one more thing. the episode of the anime that depicts this scene, episode 109, they put a table under galdino. now i can't for the life of me figure out why they needed to put a table under him if he's floating on incredibly floaty wood

lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Garp is the strongest

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really like that Garp really loved that cool Burst Thing that his grandson's ship did 2 years ago back in Water 7. Also he found unexpectedly dropping into a fight from the sky pretty cool too. So he just stood at the back of his ship and punched the ocean.

One must set up the Fist cast by first casting Fist.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

lollontee posted:

ok so im going to read one piece. why? i hope to find out

Feel free to share your reactions! :patriot:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
garp and co pulling a reverse marineford is so cool i can't even handle it

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
blackbeard wanting to join the world government makes me think he's after something from mary geoise

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lih posted:

blackbeard wanting to join the world government makes me think he's after something from mary geoise

he wants to be im

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reminder that Garp in his prime (post-Rocks) had to train to take down Chinjao.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Chinjao in his prime was one of the world's strongest Hakimen.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Electric Phantasm posted:

I know it's all about the new chapter, but I just realized the anime passed a certain point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW4GqfJp5lw

It's beautiful

Love how this lines up with Vegapunk's theory of how Devil Fruits came to be, no one in the OP world knows how dinosaurs functioned so the fruits work according to people's collective imagination as to how they might have.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Garp going all out is so loving cool and I've waited so long to see it, it's amazing. As is everything else going on at the moment, Blackbeard and Law are still fighting as we speak (I assume)!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Chad Koby got a love interest off screen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
something that i really appreciate about one piece is oda paced it so the island destroying energy blasts are exclusive to the most powerful dudes in the serious and at the very last arc, basically.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No no, she specifically said she just happened to be in the area and it wasn't like she.... came to rescue him... or anything.... :blush:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

anime was right posted:

something that i really appreciate about one piece is oda paced it so the island destroying energy blasts are exclusive to the most powerful dudes in the serious and at the very last arc, basically.

Enel was in the first half of the grand line.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Flair posted:

Chad Koby got a love interest off screen

I like that with this supporting cast Koby is basically the star of a much worse shonen manga happening off panel.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Enel was also a big deal who needed a whole complicated machine to really do it compared to people just doing it as matter of fact.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Enel's an interesting case cause in the Pre-Timeskip world where devil fruits were everything and Haki was barely a thing, Enel was definitely on par with the final bosses of the world but he just so happened to run into the one guy who hard-counters his powers. If Enel showed up now he'd be in that tier of like, "guys who could probably kill most of the Straw Hats but Luffy, Zoro, Zanji, and maybe Jinbei clear him any day of the week"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He's someone who could be a member of an Emperor's officers like the Toppi Roppo but inferior to the commanders.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Garp could've saved Ace.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scholtz posted:

Garp could've saved Ace.

He certainly could have, but he was too conflicted and just stayed neutral instead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Scholtz posted:

Garp could've saved Ace.

We've known this for a long time. It's easily the worst narrative action Garp has taken.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Garp could've saved Ace.

ace could've saved ace

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Everyone knew Garp could do it. Sengoku even felt the need to double check a couple times to make sure Garp wasn't going to just start punching poo poo. Then Akainu decided to Akainu up the place, and Garp's fist started itching so Sengoku had to sit on him.

Honestly I'm hope-expecting Garp and Sword to change sides in the climactic fight just because there's a lot of government dickheads who would look real cool getting decked by Garp. Like, Luffy punching Akainu is cool but Garp punching him is Round 2 of One Piece's examination of what happens when an old badass officially runs out of bubblegum to chew.

Kild posted:

ace could've saved ace

If only he'd had the chance to watch Back to the Future, and learned the errors of being goaded into a fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

We've known this for a long time. It's easily the worst narrative action Garp has taken.

Well it could have been worse had he actually tried to prevent Ace being rescued, but he let Luffy punch him out of the way.

Gyges posted:

Everyone knew Garp could do it. Sengoku even felt the need to double check a couple times to make sure Garp wasn't going to just start punching poo poo. Then Akainu decided to Akainu up the place, and Garp's fist started itching so Sengoku had to sit on him.

Garp notably told Sengoku to hold him, because if he didn't he would kill Sakazuki.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Garp vs. Akainu would be 100x cooler than Luffy vs. Akainu could be

Maybe let Luffy clown on Akainu a little bit first, sure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think a good ending is Luffy punches the poo poo out of Blackbeard, Garp punches the poo poo out of Akainu, and then they team up to double punch IM. Also somebody punches Carlos again for good measure.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't really think it's bad narratively.

Man was stuck between two impossible choices - his grandson or the code he swore to uphold. Garp's not some corrupt marine; he's literally the Ideal Marine in many respects. Actually believes in justice, big on helping people in need, hates corrupt tyrants, won't really listen to bad orders, a good boss to his men, a fantastic mentor, etc. etc. But I don't think he's the kind of guy who'll go out and enact sweeping changes or make waves in ways that don't involve beating the poo poo out of evil pirates. He chooses not to take a high post because he doesn't want to be tied down by the paperwork and restrictions that would be placed on him, but while he's a maverick he's still a part of the system. He's a cog in the machine, even if he sticks out every once in a while. He hates the Celestial Dragons and doesn't hesitate to trash talk them in front of a king, but at the same time he still serves as security detail for a gathering of kings in the home of the Celestial Dragons.

Garp would very much prefer Ace not get executed, and Sengoku even has to make sure he won't try. But Garp rescuing Ace would be going against his very oath to the marines. Plus, Garp probably doesn't give much of a poo poo how people think about him, but at the same time, he's probably well aware of the value his name/presence holds among the marines/public. If the Hero of the Marines betrays them to bust his adoptive grandson, the son of Roger, so Ace can go back to Whitebeard, the biggest pirate in the world, faith in the marines would plummet, morale would sink, and the general public would probably become a much much more chaotic place, cause even as corrupt and dysfunctional as they are, the marines are still (usually) the public's best protection from pirates.

Losing to Luffy gave him a way out of having to be complicit in Ace's death or escape. It's the easy way out. All he has to do is to take a dive against another beloved grandson. In an ideal (for him) world, Ace is freed and gets to leave alive with Luffy. Of course, Akainu made sure it didn't happen that way.

Was it the wrong choice? Yeah, I personally think so, and it's a sentiment echo'd by Dandan, the woman who had to raise Ace in Garp's stead and assaults Garp in broad daylight despite her fear of him. And Garp himself probably has a lot of regrets how that went down. But I don't think it's a narratively bad decision. Garp might have the physical prowess of a superhuman but at core the man's human like any other.

I also don't think Ace would blame Garp for his decision. Ace knows Garp wanted him to be a marine, and I'm pretty sure he's always known that becoming a pirate would inevitably bring him in conflict with Garp/the Marines. Especially given his heritage. Granted, it's that very same heritage that keeps Ace from feeling like he could ever be a marine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Akainu is gonna brag about Luffy's scar and Garp's gonna get pissed and punch him in the face

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Gyges posted:

I think a good ending is Luffy punches the poo poo out of Blackbeard, Garp punches the poo poo out of Akainu, and then they team up to double punch IM. Also somebody punches Carlos again for good measure.

Meanwhile Dragon stares off into the distance all brooding abd mysterious

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Luffy vs Garp in Marineford is one of the best fights in the series, he was very well handled, and it's great to see him go all out for something he believes in for Coby.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

saw 3 dudes standing in the 7/11 all reading the newest one piece ch. cannot believe OP is huge even way over here...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even when driven to the absolute limit all garp was willing to do was go "hold me back bro" and stand by. that's the most you can ever expect of garp, even if he was ordered to do a buster call or serve as an enforcer for the celestial dragons without a few layers of abstraction to make it more palatable. he's fully aware of all the corruption, oppression, slavery and genocide the marines do. but due to his accomplishments and rank he has the leisure to turn away and pretend it isn't happening. we don't know exactly how he justifies it, and likely never will. fortunately for garp, there are more than enough pirates to have unambiguously just fights with until he dies. for the rest, he can foist all the responsibility off on koby.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yup, he's super cool and we all love him.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 10, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t wait for the inevitable Dragon backstory dump where Garp is crying like a baby because he feels like poo poo about his inability to do anything about the Celestial Dragon’s authority which leads directly to his son leaving the navy to become the world’s most infamous abolitionist.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even when driven to the absolute limit all garp was willing to do was go "hold me back bro" and stand by. that's the most you can ever expect of garp, even if he was ordered to do a buster call or serve as an enforcer for the celestial dragons without a few layers of abstraction to make it more palatable. he's fully aware of all the corruption, oppression, slavery and genocide the marines do. but due to his accomplishments and rank he has the leisure to turn away and pretend it isn't happening. we don't know exactly how he justifies it, and likely never will. fortunately for garp, there are more than enough pirates to have unambiguously just fights with until he dies. for the rest, he can foist all the responsibility off on koby.

Hmm... ACAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scholtz posted:

Hmm... ACAB

On the one hand, the police will never help you. On the other, only trust Garp's fists.