Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I remember crying when I found out that Harrison Ford was older in TFA than old Indy was supposed to be in that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Yeah, been decades since I saw any of it but I remembered it as being solid TV level stuff. A couple of episodes with a super young (like Short Round young) Indy stand out in my memory as being particularly good.

That show was basically the Flashman books for '80s action film fans, and I mean that in a good way. Bunch of good Indy games too. Weirdly it's just the films that have the pressure to perform to a wildly high standard, which... I mean, they're kinda supposed to be cheap and pulpy Saturday morning serials so it works best when it's not trying to be high art but there's lots of it.

It's also another reason why I liked Temple most, because as it wasn't "save the world" stakes it really felt like a small chapter in Indy's life, just a week he punched some dudes in India and saved a village. You can imagine a similar adventure happening to him on a regular basis, but the movies are mostly just trying to be too high stakes. Something the MCU is now struggling with as everything is just too important.

gently caress, now I want to watch the Young Indy show. I bet that's not on any of the 5 million streaming services, is it?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Don't get me wrong, this is impressive no matter what. But is this one of those things where they have a slight advantage coming out on a Wednesday and having a 5 day opening instead of a 3 day opening? Or are they accounting for that somehow?

it definitely takes into account the 5 day opening. Opening on a Wednesday is a choice and lots of things have to all work independently and on this title they did.

A few stats for context:
• It’s the biggest global animated opening of all time. 
• It’s the biggest domestic, international and global opening of the year. 
• It’s the biggest domestic, international and global opening ever for Illumination. 
• It’s the biggest video-game opening of all time.
• It’s Universal’s fourth-biggest global opening of all time.
• It’s the biggest five-day Easter opening of all time.
• Universal now claims the four biggest animation performances since the pandemic began in early 2020. 

I got to celebrate today for about 15 minutes before people started screaming at me that we need FAST X prints to Korea by eod Wednesday. Not much time to reflect in this business, sorry for clogging up the thread with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

I remember crying when I found out that Harrison Ford was older in TFA than old Indy was supposed to be in that show.

I thought old Indy was meant to be up in his 90s in the show?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's a Super Mario movie that looks like Super Mario. It was set up for success from the start, despite the odd voice casting choices.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's true and the IP was solid. But pllllenty of studios managed to gently caress it up even when it's handed to them on a silver platter. A successful campaign feels easy when it is done right.

It's just really hard to do it right because there are too many cooks in the kitchen, always.

And sometimes your studio is oh, i dunno, Sony during the meltdown years.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

it definitely takes into account the 5 day opening. Opening on a Wednesday is a choice and lots of things have to all work independently and on this title they did.

A few stats for context:
• It’s the biggest global animated opening of all time. 
• It’s the biggest domestic, international and global opening of the year. 
• It’s the biggest domestic, international and global opening ever for Illumination. 
• It’s the biggest video-game opening of all time.
• It’s Universal’s fourth-biggest global opening of all time.
• It’s the biggest five-day Easter opening of all time.
• Universal now claims the four biggest animation performances since the pandemic began in early 2020. 

I got to celebrate today for about 15 minutes before people started screaming at me that we need FAST X prints to Korea by eod Wednesday. Not much time to reflect in this business, sorry for clogging up the thread with it.

This is all great to know, and you should definitely be celebrating! I was just wondering how the five day part factors into it, and only one of your bullet points addresses the five day part, and only kind of.

But again, it's clearly a massive success, when selling video game movies is usually really hard, I wasn't trying to take away from that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh yeah I was just using your post as a launching point.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Its very strange to me that regular people care about box office success, and like run of the mill marvel fans celebrate a big opening.

Kiimo I get since its your actual job but its SO weird.

Edit - I also understand that people feel like their favorite corporation doing well means they are doing well:.. it’s just strange all the way around

bows1 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 10, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well if a movie does well then it gets greenlit for a sequel. Also it's cool to see a movie you like get celebrated

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bows1 posted:

Its very strange to me that regular people care about box office success, and like run of the mill marvel fans celebrate a big opening.

Kiimo I get since its your actual job but its SO weird.

I know it matters to me when I want to see a movie series or a story trend continue. I really enjoyed the Snyderverse and wanted it to succeed, so I cared about it being successful because it meant I might get to see him finish telling his story. For Dungeons & Dragons, I want to see the box office numbers go up because it shows that a movie about an ensemble solving a reasonably sized crisis can succeed in an area where every pitch is about how the stakes have never been higher and the villain is infinitely stronger than the last.

It's not so much that I care about the studio making a ton of money or milking it from fans. It's more about the hope that a studio rewarded for trying something new that works will continue to explore it. :shrug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I also get off on huge ski resort snowfall numbers and how big the Powerball gets and videos of calderas and volcanoes exploding what can I say I enjoy watching things grow when they get huge. I also watch zit popping youtubes

in fact I think you've uncorked some kind of issue I didn't know I had that I should probably bring up to my therapist lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

kiimo posted:

I also get off on huge ski resort snowfall numbers and how big the Powerball gets and videos of calderas and volcanoes exploding what can I say I enjoy watching things grow when they get huge.

That seems pretty normal, I do that too---

kiimo posted:

I also watch zit popping youtubes

:staredog:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zit popping videos is way more common than you’d want to imagine. That pimple popper lady is super popular

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Super pop...ular

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I remember watching a couple of pimple popping TikToks only for the feed to start spamming me with more and more increasingly gross ones. Like (CW: gross) really huge pus filled holes being scooped out with q-tips.

There's a reason why I avoid TikTok.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
They should have called it The Super Mario Super Movie, is all

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CelticPredator posted:

Zit popping videos is way more common than you’d want to imagine. That pimple popper lady is super popular

I think she has a straight up tv show now

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mw_xv85lAI

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The girl that plays Kamala Khan makes me smile at least, everything else I'm just sort of sick of at this point.
EDIT: obviously not sick of Intergalactic.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 11, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly this is the first Marvel movie that’s captured my attention in years. It seems more human.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah the show was fantastic and literally the only Marvel thing my kids like so we'll be in the theaters for this one!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Ms.Marvel was incredible and the best of the new shows that came out IMO.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, I've definitely suffered from Marvel fatigue, but I'm fully onboard for this one.
The idea that they swap around when they use their powers makes me think the fight scenes are going to be really innovative.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

The girl that plays Kamala Khan makes me smile at least, everything else I'm just sort of sick of at this point.
EDIT: obviously not sick of Intergalactic.

Iman Vellani argued with Kevin Feige when he got Marvel lore wrong. She's perfect as Kamala.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just from the trailer, shoving them all together looks like it's going to make Carol and Monica a lot more fun. (Kamala is already exactly the perfect amount of fun)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 11, 2023

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAKJu9aJys

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hell yeah

this was getting great reviews too

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The MSJ posted:

Iman Vellani argued with Kevin Feige when he got Marvel lore wrong. She's perfect as Kamala.

I’m begging anyone in this thread who hasn’t watched the Ms. Marvel show, to watch the Ms. Marvel show. I don’t care if you skipped it because of some poor recent MCU films, or if you have MCU fatigue generally, it’s one of the single best things ever done in all of the superhero genre and Iman Vellani is amazing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ending was kinda lame tho. Loki was better.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Charlie Day made a movie and it comes out in a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajioU4MCYks

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Latte pronto is actually a brilliant character name

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man Talk to Me looks great.

Also glad to see Ray Liota's last role wasn't being mauled by a bear

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Liar Lyre posted:

Okay that's fantastic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Liar Lyre posted:

Is this actually Ray Liotta's last movie and not Cocaine Bear?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

Is this actually Ray Liotta's last movie and not Cocaine Bear?

I'm not sure about the number, but I heard he had about 4-5 movies finished when he died. So he may have a couple more coming.

The man worked.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A24 don’t miss. Will see that.

Also interested in the Charlie Day movie.

Ms Marvel is eeeeehhhh, even Sam Jackson looks like he’s phoning it in and it looks pedestrian

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Liar Lyre posted:

could be fun, i'm optimistic

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I gotta say I didn’t expect Charlie Day to make a movie where he does a riff on The Tramp but it looks pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Liar Lyre posted:

Lol at Jimmi Simpson playing not-Conan O'Brien