Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
The house behind my brother put a pool that sized on their professionally built deck and it collapsed at about half full.
Hell of a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
cant even tell if those posts are going into the ground or not, but i guess they will eventually

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, sometimes you want a pool, and sometimes you want a water slide. And sometimes, you can’t decide, so you ask God to surprise you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/SLMpGk6.mp4

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:3

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

moist turtleneck posted:

cant even tell if those posts are going into the ground or not, but i guess they will eventually

Fill the pool and the pilings sink themselves into the ground!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Man that is absolutely amazing. Truly a wonder of the modern world.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Deteriorata posted:

That's a nice-looking fence. What's the prob... oh.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PurpleXVI posted:

Man that is absolutely amazing. Truly a wonder of the modern world.

You know, now that phrasing makes me wonder. Obviously the only examples of Roman engineering that we still have today are the ones that were built to last. But human nature never really changes, so there must have been instances, now lost to time, where Gaius Bubbacus Tertius built a really lovely extension to his villa on the cheap. And there's no way that some of those remote border forts didn't have some sketchy poo poo rigged up by bored soldiers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know, now that phrasing makes me wonder. Obviously the only examples of Roman engineering that we still have today are the ones that were built to last. But human nature never really changes, so there must have been instances, now lost to time, where Gaius Bubbacus Tertius built a really lovely extension to his villa on the cheap. And there's no way that some of those remote border forts didn't have some sketchy poo poo rigged up by bored soldiers.

"...and here are the hanging gardens of Babylon. Not pictured are the falling gardens of Babylon, built by the lowest bidder."

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

While you guys were partying looking at the swimming pool, I was studying the blade getting ready to retire easily and early after an unfortunate and legally indefensible trip on the stairs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One step up and three steps down? That sort of construction is a slippery slope, my friend.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

While you guys were partying looking at the swimming pool, I was studying the blade getting ready to retire easily and early after an unfortunate and legally indefensible trip on the stairs

this has got to be Pennsylvania. im getting strong PA vibes

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PurpleXVI posted:

"...and here are the hanging gardens of Babylon. Not pictured are the falling gardens of Babylon, built by the lowest bidder."

Did the ancient Egyptians have subcontractors?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did the ancient Egyptians have subcontractors?

Yeah but they’ve all closed up shop, it’s a pretty common tactic to avoid long term liability.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Code of Hammurabi

quote:

229 If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

230 If it kills the son of the owner, the son of that builder shall be put to death.

231 If it kills a slave of the owner, then he shall pay, slave for slave, to the owner of the house.

232 If it ruins goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he built and it fell, he shall re-erect the house from his own means.

233 If a builder builds a house for someone, even though he has not yet completed it; if then the walls seem toppling, the builder must make the walls solid from his own means.

BONUS - SAFETY RAILS!

Deuteronomy 22:8

quote:

When thou buildest a new house, then thou shalt make a battlement for thy roof, that thou bring not blood upon thine house, if any man fall from thence.

New Living Translation
“When you build a new house, you must build a railing around the edge of its flat roof. That way you will not be considered guilty of murder if someone falls from the roof."

BONUS - MOLD!

Leviticus 14:39-45
New International Version

quote:

35 the owner of the house must go and tell the priest, ‘I have seen something that looks like a defiling mold in my house.’ 36 The priest is to order the house to be emptied before he goes in to examine the mold, so that nothing in the house will be pronounced unclean. After this the priest is to go in and inspect the house. 37 He is to examine the mold on the walls, and if it has greenish or reddish depressions that appear to be deeper than the surface of the wall, 38 the priest shall go out the doorway of the house and close it up for seven days.39 On the seventh day the priest shall return to inspect the house. If the mold has spread on the walls, 40 he is to order that the contaminated stones be torn out and thrown into an unclean place outside the town. 41 He must have all the inside walls of the house scraped and the material that is scraped off dumped into an unclean place outside the town. 42 Then they are to take other stones to replace these and take new clay and plaster the house.

43 “If the defiling mold reappears in the house after the stones have been torn out and the house scraped and plastered, 44 the priest is to go and examine it and, if the mold has spread in the house, it is a persistent defiling mold; the house is unclean. 45 It must be torn down—its stones, timbers and all the plaster—and taken out of the town to an unclean place.

And, of course, that Babel hackjob.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This really dahirs my insaats.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

HelleSpud posted:

Code of Hammurabi

Time to make a new religious movement based entirely on OSHA commandments harvested from all previous religions. The ritual vestments will be a high-vis vest, a hard hat and safety glasses. The congregation is allowed to wear their ear protection while attending sermon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pompeii probably has some absolutely amazing lovely construction preserved somewhere.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HelleSpud posted:

Code of Hammurabi

BONUS - SAFETY RAILS!

New Living Translation
“When you build a new house, you must build a railing around the edge of its flat roof. That way you will not be considered guilty of murder if someone falls from the roof."

BONUS - MOLD!

New International Version

And, of course, that Babel hackjob.
The last one is my favourite kinds of religious instruction. Through perfectly standard effort they came up with a practical procedure for mold remediation in their region, but preceded the instructions with with "The Lord said to Moses and Aaron" because people are people and nobody would pay attention otherwise.

I can just see some grizzled contractor looking over the scribes shoulder and saying "put the mold thing in there. Yeah, uh, Aaron really hated mold"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 12, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I finally understand what they mean by "above-ground pool".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There aren't too many options for where that pipe has to go. The crock can't be moved. The pump cannot likely be rotated. It has to clear the beam and the duct.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure but you should be able to get them joined up with 4 welds, not a dozen and a half. Two 45s is all it should take.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Look, it's just impossible to know how the pipe is going to line up.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PainterofCrap posted:

There aren't too many options for where that pipe has to go. The crock can't be moved. The pump cannot likely be rotated. It has to clear the beam and the duct.

this perspective doesn't show it well, but it bends 45 degree back, up the the (now-leaking) coupling, and then 45 back to the same vertical plane it was originally on. Plus the quantity of fittings and the artistic PVC primer touch.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is the typical sump pump strong enough to push the discharge that high? Mine only goes vertical for like 4 feet and then let's gravity do it's thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Dave posted:

Is the typical sump pump strong enough to push the discharge that high? Mine only goes vertical for like 4 feet and then let's gravity do it's thing.
Every pump is different, but the rise height is listed in the instructions.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
They typically give GPH ratings for horizontal/0' lift and 10' lift. I would imagine most systems are running in 7'-10' basements plus sump depth and need to get out to ~ground level. It all comes down to head loss, which is combo of vertical lift, bends, and length.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As I recall, Tacitus wrote about the time someone's janky gladiator seating fell over during the event.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

brugroffil posted:

They typically give GPH ratings for horizontal/0' lift and 10' lift. I would imagine most systems are running in 7'-10' basements plus sump depth and need to get out to ~ground level. It all comes down to head loss, which is combo of vertical lift, bends, and length.

I have a sump pump that lists lift at different head heights. It'll give 10' of lift with 1' of head pressure, but 28' of lift with 3' over the inlet. Turbine bastard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Unless the perspective cheats you could literally replace all of those bends with two 45-degrees, one to get around the duct, one to go horizontal. At most you might have to retain the existing 90 at the top and a bit of the pipe immediately below it if things don't line up easily otherwise, and in that case the second 45 is just to go vertical.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Clearly it was built in self defense to stop hordes of invaders from advancing up their back lawn. One quick knock at the bottom of the structure and you've got a huge amount of water/burning oil to wash away the advancing army.

It's filled with hot oil :hist101:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know, now that phrasing makes me wonder. Obviously the only examples of Roman engineering that we still have today are the ones that were built to last.

Not really, majority of what is left is literally ruins. But it's tricky to tell if the house was abandoned because it was built poorly and fell or if they had a fire or other reasons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

Not really, majority of what is left is literally ruins. But it's tricky to tell if the house was abandoned because it was built poorly and fell or if they had a fire or other reasons.

Or the tenants were evicted, and the place was left abandoned to dodge taxes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

stevewm posted:

That looks like a 3000-4000 gallon pool... So that "structure" has at least 25,000lbs (11,300kg) on it :stonk:

No diagonals either so a little movement to the side like oh, SAY SLOSHING WATER, and they might be in for a ride.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1646184110753284096

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This one is neat.

https://twitter.com/jagsdrew/status/1646220107826307072?s=20

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol didn't even try to weatherseal the trapdoor/toe stubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ptier posted:

My 1963 house called and says that it pre-dates safety. Which is why I have a poo poo interior door separating the garage from the kitchen.

It’s on my list to fix. Cause drat.

:same:
Only 1964.
And also the door is coming apart because of that. Interior doors aren't really designed to use a threshold. And it's only 32" wide.

kid sinister posted:

From the Electrical thread. I'm digging the 2 prong suicide cords.

Unless someone is just taking the piss for lulz (entirely possible) then all of that is also more expensive and time consuming than just buying a few 4' LED sticks and mounting/wiring them.

Speaking of

PainterofCrap posted:

Meth. Not even once.

....o.0

Expectations subverted.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This really dahirs my insaats.

It bothers me a little that I know exactly what you mean.

Whole lotta people who don't realize that water weights around 7 pounds per gallon, and/or can't do the math.

PurpleXVI posted:

Time to make a new religious movement based entirely on OSHA commandments harvested from all previous religions. The ritual vestments will be a high-vis vest, a hard hat and safety glasses. The congregation is allowed to wear their ear protection while attending sermon.

I'm on board.
Hmmmm... trying to think of a clever name for it, but nothing is presenting itself. I'm tired.

Splicer posted:

The last one is my favourite kinds of religious instruction. Through perfectly standard effort they came up with a practical procedure for mold remediation in their region, but preceded the instructions with with "The Lord said to Moses and Aaron" because people are people and nobody would pay attention otherwise.

I can just see some grizzled contractor looking over the scribes shoulder and saying "put the mold thing in there. Yeah, uh, Aaron really hated mold"

You can probably think about a lot of Kosher restrictions in the same way, really (please do not think I'm being anti-Semitic for this. There are some solid safety restrictions for the time in there.)