Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
During the Vietnam war, NVA soldiers were carrying 400 pounds on a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Mass adoption of huge electric SUVs would probably be way worse for the environment than the current status quo. How do you dispose of millions of 2000lb lithium batteries that would inevitably end up in junkyards every year

Yeah, the batteries are the part I'm worried about long term. I've seen how long laptop and power tool batteries (don't) last and while I'm sure they'd use something higher quality for car batteries I have a lot of questions about how long they'll last and what will actually be done with them when they need to be replaced. Never mind the lithium mining that will be required. We might just be trading one environment problem for another.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ardennes posted:

During the Vietnam war, NVA soldiers were carrying 400 pounds on a bicycle.

Back when I was a mailman, we regularly exceeded the 100kg recommended max load on our cargo bikes. That was fun riding around with. The momentum was very real though, you didn't want anyone to get in the way (also the brakes were poo poo) and turning was at low speed.

Most of it was just ads that were distributed more or less directly into the bin.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

I'm sure they'd use something higher quality for car batteries

Tesla uses bog standard Lithium Ion 18650 cells in their battery packs
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/understanding-teslas-lithium-ion-batteries

These are basically LiIon AA cells, a shitload of them in series

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, the batteries are the part I'm worried about long term. I've seen how long laptop and power tool batteries (don't) last and while I'm sure they'd use something higher quality for car batteries I have a lot of questions about how long they'll last and what will actually be done with them when they need to be replaced. Never mind the lithium mining that will be required. We might just be trading one environment problem for another.

As I understand it, Teslas literally use laptop batteries, just a lot of them. Also, with manufacture and extraction factored in, it's not so much trading in as it is just adding on.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The most popular battery pack supplied by Tesla contains 7,104 18650 cells in 16 444 cell modules capable of storing up to 85 kWh of energy

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

webcams for christ posted:

yeah let's scale up using 4,103 kilogram self-propelled devices to individually transport ~100 kilogram objects sure
lmao this big pig of a car weighs an entire third more than many motorhomes or campervans, and you can't* even poop in it!

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Apr 11, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Tesla uses bog standard Lithium Ion 18650 cells in their battery packs
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/understanding-teslas-lithium-ion-batteries

These are basically LiIon AA cells, a shitload of them in series

BonHair posted:

As I understand it, Teslas literally use laptop batteries, just a lot of them. Also, with manufacture and extraction factored in, it's not so much trading in as it is just adding on.

lmao okay never mind this is going to be a huge problem then.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

an actual frog posted:

lmao this big pig of a car weighs an entire third more than many motorhomes, and you can't* even poop in it!

you can if you aim a big enough rock at the sunroof

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
do gooder idiot dems teaming up with car makers to make ultra heavy ultra fast vehicles mandatory is so incredible. why yes, we want to make everything more dangerous, destroy roads faster, and make things incredibly inconvenient for actual driving to where these cars will be used in addition to regular ones

all because they got embarassed by boring hybrids and plugin hybrids coming out a decade ago and needing to pretend that the LAUNCH MODE vehicles are angels from heaven

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

McCracAttack posted:

They have the same discharge/recharge life cycle degradation, where battery life starts to decay after a while. One of the tricks is to under rate the battery, giving it an invisible buffer on the high and low end, so the battery decay doesn't show up until the battery has already used up that buffer.

Lithium iron phosphate batteries have a longer life, and are starting to show up in more applications. They're really popular with off grid/solar battery people right now, because they're rated to last 10-20 years of daily cycling.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

jetz0r posted:

They have the same discharge/recharge life cycle degradation, where battery life starts to decay after a while. One of the tricks is to under rate the battery, giving it an invisible buffer on the high and low end, so the battery decay doesn't show up until the battery has already used up that buffer.

Lithium iron phosphate batteries have a longer life, and are starting to show up in more applications. They're really popular with off grid/solar battery people right now, because they're rated to last 10-20 years of daily cycling.

apparently there's a shortage in good iron. do you need the good "direct reduction grade" iron for that? https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...n-push-70947714

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

apparently there's a shortage in good iron. do you need the good "direct reduction grade" iron for that? https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...n-push-70947714

Turns out you'd just need a shitload less of every rare or difficult to extract resource (not to mention energy itself) if we focused on making more efficient vehicles that were more suitable for the task they actually perform. An e-bike or a golf cart do just as good a job and hauling some groceries home from the shops as a 9000 lb hummer EV with a single person in it, which is going to be like 90% of their market-wide lifetime usage.

The average EV uses about 200 Wh of energy per km. An e-bike is closer to 6-10 Wh/km. Both will adequately perform the vast majority of trips people currently use their cars for. The e-bike will clearly use less of everything (energy, lithium, rare earth metals, regular construction materials, consumable rubber tires and brake pads etc.) vs. the electric car, again to perform the equivalent job if we assume the city, society and legislation you're operating in make cycling instead of driving at all viable.

I don't know what the answer is at the end of the day, beyond moving and living somewhere it's possible to not need a car (which probably means nowhere in north America).

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

It really does bely a general lack of self restraint to buy an SUV so large it would have looked like a parody 10 years ago. The people buying these things are adult toddlers
https://twitter.com/FuckCarsReddit/status/1645887831875674114?s=20

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This week I ditched bike share and city streets and have been commuting into work with my own bike and through the valley. I barely have to touch any roads, have okay bike lanes when I do, and it's just loving glorious.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

after snowing 10 cm the weather has decided to jump to 15 above. Soon i will be biking and back to harassing pedestrians instead of being the one harassed!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

#1 smoothest brain found

I see that guy figured out how to get people to chomp on his bait

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
car almost ran over me and my dog while we were crossing a crosswalk... Just came flying through the downtown core and did a left-hand turn without even considering someone would be walking across the street

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

car almost ran over me and my dog while we were crossing a crosswalk... Just came flying through the downtown core and did a left-hand turn without even considering someone would be walking across the street

You know what consumer product you need to purchase to make sure that doesnt happen again right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Terminal autist posted:

You know what consumer product you need to purchase to make sure that doesnt happen again right?
:berninator:

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Fair play, it was to obvious

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

I laughed the first time I saw this and now here I am laughing again.

Not an endorsement of violence calm down.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

My gal and I almost got squished because no one can stop AT a stop sign. Idiots.

It happened a couple times more during our work but not as a close. It really drives me crazy, because it’s so dangerous and awful. We should put speed bumps at stop signs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

you mean bollards that mechanically rise out of the ground during a yellow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

:hmmyes:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
bollars that fire up to protect pedestrians should be standard

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Celexi posted:

bollars that fire up to protect pedestrians should be standard

God this would own so loving hard. all way walk through out downtowns with bollard protection? the dream

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

This just happened a moment ago thought y'all might enjoy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

TheMopeSquad posted:

This just happened a moment ago thought y'all might enjoy.

That's terrible that that bus driver will have to fill out a bunch of paperwork, and almost certainly there will be some scheduling impacts from people riding the bus.

A real shame the truck will likely get paid for.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Bus driver looked pretty happy tbh other guy not so much.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
no notes

https://www.thestranger.com/i-anonymous/2023/04/12/78945092/driving-dunces

quote:

Around rush hour on April 4, traffic going up Olive Street stopped for a pair of pedestrians crossing Harvard Ave. Incurious as to why traffic was stopped, you sped around the stopped cars, nearly killing one of the pedestrians. A difference of seconds would have cost those people their lives. They said they were okay, but they were visibly shaken.

In addition to calling you out for your carelessness, I’d like us all to take a moment to consider the dangerous hyper-individualism baked into commuting in a city by car. Once enclosed within the safety of your metal box, the community outside becomes a mere inconvenience. People are not human but rather obstacles that slow the speed at which you reach your very important destination.

But until our city planners actually do something about the destructive consequences of automobile-first infrastructure, slow the gently caress down and remember the human life you put at risk when you make hasty and impatient decisions behind the wheel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Joker moments I have had in a career in working in transportation.

1. "You studied abroad, that's your problem. What you want isn't applicable here"

When I said that it was better to create a safe at-grade crossing instead of forcing people to use a footbridge

2. "That's dangerous because lots of drivers fall asleep at the wheel"

When I suggested another at-grade crossing instead of a new footbridge

3. When I had my staff do pedestrian counts that actually showed there were lots of people walking around a large block and that a shortcut through the block was warranted:

"I don't believe it."

4. "There is just one solution to traffic, and we already know what it is: widen the streets"

5. Directed at me and my staff who walked the talk by biking to work "yes, you all ride bikes, but why don't you try driving sometime. You'll see how abused motorists are here"

6. Someone calling me an idealist, and then suggesting that, for nighttime road safety, children be given reflective stickers for their backpacks so drivers will see them (and of course they won't hit them)

7. When I suggested to another agency official that their public hearings should be held on weekends, instead of weekday afternoons, so that more commuters can attend

"Come on, don't make us do overtime"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I can't find it right now, but a Danish city implemented these for busses, so the bollards go down for busses and up right after they pass. There was a hilarious picture of a car trying to tailgate which got wrecked and told to pay for the damages to the bollard.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BonHair posted:

I can't find it right now, but a Danish city implemented these for busses, so the bollards go down for busses and up right after they pass. There was a hilarious picture of a car trying to tailgate which got wrecked and told to pay for the damages to the bollard.

Lots of cities have these for pedestrianised/semi-pedestrianised areas. Let's you do large areas because residents, deliveries (often with restricted hours), emergency vehicles, buses etc can drive in but there's a vastly reduced requirement for enforcement by police, fine etc

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Had some Karen on a bike block my attempt to make a right turn. Waved her hand at me dismissively, so I laid on the horn and gave her a reckoning she won’t soon forget!

E: was on foot, to be clear. gently caress cars ftw

mystes
May 31, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Had some Karen on a bike block my attempt to make a right turn. Waved her hand at me dismissively, so I laid on the horn and gave her a reckoning she won’t soon forget!

E: was on foot, to be clear. gently caress cars ftw
how do you have a horn while you're walking? Or do you mean that just as a metaphor?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Clearly they were in a marching band.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

clowning round town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

a car that was supposed to yield don't even bother looking my way and blew through an intersection in front of me on my bike. glad I had a clear view of the driver blissfully endangering others so I knew to brake early