Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think they all still have one last ride in them :')

Yeah maybe not :pwn::regd09:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIMqEfmKwvE

Real sad to see the Beast of BR down on its luck and slumming in a production this cheap :(

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

stereobreadsticks posted:

Also, obviously a lot of these topics are inherently conspiratorial, but I think there's a substantial difference in tone between "maybe there are a few secrets that we don't know about" and "all mainstream governmental, media, and academic sources are lying to you!" The former, more speculative tone can be fun to entertain, the latter is just infuriating in the era of Trump and QAnon, and I think even topics that aren't inherently political like ghosts and bigfoot have a tendency these days to get poisoned by that tone.

Honestly, there isn’t any ‘apolitical’ crypto media. The ‘gentler’ just-asking-questions stuff is related and supplementary to the explicitly right-wing stuff.

As gone over earlier in the thread, Sasquatch has been hugely political from the very beginning, with the very first ‘Bigfoot sighting’ being a fantasy of a “negroid” first nations woman. The Patterson Footage was a reenactment of that story for a throwback “jungle expedition” movie, where a bunch of cowboys form a posse to hunt and capture what’s essentially a human being.

The shift from Sasquatch (‘subhuman cave-dwelling aboriginals’) to Bigfoot (‘a new species of ape’) in the wake of the Patterson Footage is simply an update of the racist imagery. But absolutely nobody is interested in Bigfoot because it might be another orangutan - as if crypto guys just love chimps and bonobos sooo much. The entire appeal is the promise of a man-animal. Even for liberal hippies, Bigfoot enthusiasm is a ‘reverse-racist’ fantasy of noble savagery.

That’s not to say that you shouldn’t watch this stuff, of course. But, you do need to be extremely critical, whatever you watch - and perhaps especially critical of the pleasant, gentle stuff that normalizes these ideologies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Did you ever watch Hickory Never Bleeds? What was your take?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weirdly enough the UK equivalent of Mothman was called Owlman and the first few sightings probably weren't owls, given that its origin was via interviews conducted by Tony 'Doc' Shiels, a noted hoaxer. (Sightings in later years might possibly have been large owls)

Here's some of the original eyewitness sketches, it's extremely Mothman-like

Oh wow, I haven’t seen these pictures in a long while!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I went and looked up Bray Road Elkhorn WI on google maps to see where the Beast of Bray Road hangs out. It's farmland just outside of town with a few small tufts of managed woodlands:

...... oh wait, what's that right next to Bray Road?

Huh, I wonder what kind of animals they have at the petting zoo

Oh, a huge shaggy black creature with pointed ears and a vaguely dog-shaped head which will chase after every person it sees for snacks. Huh, how about that.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Apr 8, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I went and looked up Bray Road Elkhorn WI on google maps to see where the Beast of Bray Road hangs out. It's farmland just outside of town with a few small tufts of managed woodlands:

...... oh wait, what's that right next to Bray Road?

Huh, I wonder what kind of animals they have at the petting zoo

Oh, a huge shaggy black creature with pointed ears and a vaguely dog-shaped head which will chase after every person it sees for snacks. Huh, how about that.

This makes me think of the Bigfoot larpers you find on reddit, there's one guy in particular who kept finding "stick structures" in suburban parks, his last one I remember was a Bigfoot fish trap and then some other poster called him out based on the ADA accessible ramp in the photo and named the park. Something really sad about it imo, like this is the "wildest" place you can access or imagine, and also of course the deal where Bigfoot is both a secretive and rare animal and also seen by everyone everywhere, and both extremes are proof that she's real. The OP's rebuttal was that the Bigfoot are truly all around us all the time but would never reveal themselves to negative persons.

There was another "stick structure" in view of a boardwalk in a park, and posters were saying okay sure the city built an overlook here but how many KIDS TODAY will actually walk ALL THE WAY out to it? They are too busy looking at their SCREENS with POKEMON GO! Truly the heart of darkness out in Deerfield.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That can't be the real explanation because every cryptid is actually just an owl, including the lake ones.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am a big fan of small town monsters, the beast of bray road one is a classic

Here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNP9b0qjQws

You can rent it for $4 via YouTube Movies & TV

This looks right up my alley

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Honestly, there isn’t any ‘apolitical’ crypto media. The ‘gentler’ just-asking-questions stuff is related and supplementary to the explicitly right-wing stuff.

As gone over earlier in the thread, Sasquatch has been hugely political from the very beginning, with the very first ‘Bigfoot sighting’ being a fantasy of a “negroid” first nations woman. The Patterson Footage was a reenactment of that story for a throwback “jungle expedition” movie, where a bunch of cowboys form a posse to hunt and capture what’s essentially a human being.

The shift from Sasquatch (‘subhuman cave-dwelling aboriginals’) to Bigfoot (‘a new species of ape’) in the wake of the Patterson Footage is simply an update of the racist imagery. But absolutely nobody is interested in Bigfoot because it might be another orangutan - as if crypto guys just love chimps and bonobos sooo much. The entire appeal is the promise of a man-animal. Even for liberal hippies, Bigfoot enthusiasm is a ‘reverse-racist’ fantasy of noble savagery.

That’s not to say that you shouldn’t watch this stuff, of course. But, you do need to be extremely critical, whatever you watch - and perhaps especially critical of the pleasant, gentle stuff that normalizes these ideologies.

Oh absolutely. I agree that it's important to critically examine any media you consume and the history of colonialism, racism, and right-wing politics that pervades all of what Jeb Card refers to as "weird-shitology" is very important to keep in mind. The difference for me is that the "gentle stuff," as you say can be interesting and entertaining both in and of itself and when examined skeptically and critically, while the more openly right-wing stuff makes me angry rather than entertained.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

This makes me think of the Bigfoot larpers you find on reddit, there's one guy in particular who kept finding "stick structures" in suburban parks, his last one I remember was a Bigfoot fish trap and then some other poster called him out based on the ADA accessible ramp in the photo and named the park. Something really sad about it imo, like this is the "wildest" place you can access or imagine, and also of course the deal where Bigfoot is both a secretive and rare animal and also seen by everyone everywhere, and both extremes are proof that she's real. The OP's rebuttal was that the Bigfoot are truly all around us all the time but would never reveal themselves to negative persons.

There was another "stick structure" in view of a boardwalk in a park, and posters were saying okay sure the city built an overlook here but how many KIDS TODAY will actually walk ALL THE WAY out to it? They are too busy looking at their SCREENS with POKEMON GO! Truly the heart of darkness out in Deerfield.
My personal "Yeah this is bullshit" moment for Nessie came when I actually visited Loch Ness like 20 years ago. All the documentaries like to play it up like some remote mountain lake but there's a massive (well, massive by Northern Scotland standards) highway running right alongside it. Not to mention the constant tourboats criss-crossing it. There's no way anything that surfaces at all could ever remain unidentified nowadays, there's got to be thousands of eyes on that lake at all times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

My personal "Yeah this is bullshit" moment for Nessie came when I actually visited Loch Ness like 20 years ago. All the documentaries like to play it up like some remote mountain lake but there's a massive (well, massive by Northern Scotland standards) highway running right alongside it. Not to mention the constant tourboats criss-crossing it. There's no way anything that surfaces at all could ever remain unidentified nowadays, there's got to be thousands of eyes on that lake at all times.

Yeah it's just 8 miles outside of Inverness (current pop 60,000), there's homesteads and small hamlets all along its shores and there's several small townships on the edge of the loch such as Fort Augustus:

There's also dozens and dozens of holiday cabins built right on the shoreline

Google Street View sailed a boat all around the entire loch so people can go check out the entire shoreline if they want: https://goo.gl/maps/zb5n9T3qjYSyP64F9

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Just learned via reddit that Rex Gilroy passed away the other day, aged 79. He'd been collecting UFO/yowie/monsters sightings in Australia and NZ since the 70s, as well as doing his own "research" on a lost white race that predated the Aboriginals - he had some nasty stuff on his website about PC gone made, reverse racism, etc., so I never shelled out the $$$ for any of his books. It seems he was especially put out by Aboriginal people wanting custody of ancestral remains. One of his greatest hits was a weird rock he swore was a Homo erectus skull:

Rest in peace you old crank

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
His Facebook page has a huge number of photos of the 'evidence' he'd collected over the decades and it's just some of the dumbest poo poo, mixed in with obviously recent sculptures that he apparently assumed were proof of ancient cultures.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Finally, proof! Cross-posted from the OSHA thread:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Even the noble squatch has a fascination with trains

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

His Facebook page has a huge number of photos of the 'evidence' he'd collected over the decades and it's just some of the dumbest poo poo, mixed in with obviously recent sculptures that he apparently assumed were proof of ancient cultures.

He was also big on some "ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics" that are clearly just people loving around from within the last 100 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosford_Glyphs

I admit the crank narratives are compelling: shipwrecked Egyptians from 2500 BC, lost in a distant land and leaving their mark, vs some yobbo soldiers doing it because they were bored in the 1920s

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

Did you ever watch Hickory Never Bleeds? What was your take?

you sent it to me a few years back and i liked it a lot. i should watch it again

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snooze Cruise posted:

That can't be the real explanation because every cryptid is actually just an owl, including the lake ones.

What's that you say? Definitive proof of the existence of LAKE-OWLS??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

A “mystery animal” spotted in the Rio Grande Valley left Texas park officials — and the general public — stumped.

Officials with the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, with Texas Parks and Wildlife, sought social media users’ help when they posted a photo of a strange-looking — and apparently not easily identifiable — animal on the park’s Facebook page last week.

The furry, short and stout, four-legged creature was caught on footage from the trail cam of a park visitor while walking at night in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvgjWmr3nsU

It's a badger with mange, despite what this commenter thinks:

Here's the current known range of the American badger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_badger

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun Fact: There's always a badger right behind you. And he's not happy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Alhazred posted:

There's 2 badgers inside you, and its up to you to decide which one to get out first while they gnaw through you.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Clearly a badger but my first thought when I saw the picture was that it looked a bit like a hippo, which naturally got me thinking about Pablo Escobar's hippos. That's not a cryptid story but it's almost as weird as one. I've seen numbers ranging from 70 to 130 for the current population of free-roaming hippos in Colombia descended from the 4 that Pablo Escobar bought at the height of his power.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Clearly a badger but my first thought when I saw the picture was that it looked a bit like a hippo, which naturally got me thinking about Pablo Escobar's hippos. That's not a cryptid story but it's almost as weird as one. I've seen numbers ranging from 70 to 130 for the current population of free-roaming hippos in Colombia descended from the 4 that Pablo Escobar bought at the height of his power.

Huh, interesting, never heard about those before. But yeah, my mind went somewhere like that at first too, since it looks on the tubby side.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_tOSRynZU

Alternatively,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1mDvL9DmZA

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ror posted:

Just want to thank this thread for introducing me to Strong Toad, who I think about constantly.

That toad is strong

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Knormal posted:

Coincidentally I just started reading Ronald Binns' Decline and Fall of the Loch Ness Monster from 2019. Binns wrote a debunking text on Nessie back in 1983, but this current work has been especially fascinating so far for his gentle but firm appraisal of the (lack of) evidence since the golden years of the 70s. Also does that thing I love in more analytical paranormal texts where he fills in the blanks on Nessie history that have been left out of "official" slash pro-Nessie sources, and compares how even various pro-monster authors would mix and match which photos, accounts, and arguments they considered reliable. Always love hearing about who hates who in these fields too, lol.

Dr. Jerrold Coe has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Apr 12, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i read about this guy as a kid. seems like a badass.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
1: that's a cool poster and the mapinguari is an underexposed monster!

2: lol this loch ness guy:

Frank Searle (born Eric Frank Searle; 18 March 1921 – 26 March 2005) was a photographer who studied the disputed existence of the Loch Ness Monster. He took up residence at Loch Ness in 1969 living a frugal existence in a tent looking for definitive proof of the monster's existence. Eventually photographs began to appear from 1972 onwards and earned Frank a degree of fame as a monster hunter.

However, as the detail of the pictures increasingly improved with time, people began to suspect they were fakes. The matter was finally exposed in 1976 when the Scottish Sunday Mail carried a centre-page article proving that one of his photographs was taken from a postcard showing an Apatosaurus. Another picture was also proven to be a wooden post at a pier that was covered with cloth to make it monster-like.

As his reputation declined, he was involved with some skirmishes with other monster researchers which eventually led to a failed molotov cocktail attack on one of their boats. Searle denied any involvement in the matter and was never charged over it. Eventually he left the loch for good in the early 1980s to allegedly embark on a treasure hunting expedition.

Some years later he was eventually tracked down by Andrew Tullis for his documentary The Man who Captured Nessie. Searle had been living in a bedsit in Fleetwood, Lancashire, but had died only a few weeks before.

edit: Mike Dash has a nice long article about Searle here: https://aforteantinthearchives.wordpress.com/2009/12/27/frank-searles-lost-second-book/ unfortunately all the images are dead, as is the link to Searle's final, unpublished Loch Ness pamphlet where he rails against other researchers. Bummer.

Dr. Jerrold Coe has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Apr 12, 2023

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

i read about this guy as a kid. seems like a badass.

This charming fellow is speculated by some to be a surviving giant ground sloth.

Not sure where the mouth in the stomach is meant to come from..

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

This charming fellow is speculated by some to be a surviving giant ground sloth.

Not sure where the mouth in the stomach is meant to come from..

Mapinguari ain't goin away!

quote:

By Laurie Goering and Tribune Staff Writer
Chicago Tribune

Jan 08, 1995 at 12:00 am

To rubber tappers and Indians in the forest's remote western fringe, the creature is the Mapinguari, the Amazon's version of the legendary Bigfoot. No scientist has ever seen it, but Oren may be on the verge of proving the mythological animal actually exists.

Scientists in the U.S. and Germany this month are performing DNA tests on hair and feces Oren collected in Brazil's remote Acre state. And if his suspicions are correct, the tests will reveal a biological shocker: The fabled monster is actually a species of giant ground sloth believed extinct for 8,500 years.

"I have every confidence we have found it," Oren said last week from his offices at the Emilio Goeldi Natural History Museum in Belem, where he is recovering from malaria contracted during his search in November and December.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

Is it a cute European badger? Or an American murder Hobo badger?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Similar to how the first Chupacabra sighting was from someone who had recently watched Species, wasn’t one of the first Nessie sightings from a couple that were driving home from having seen King Kong? There’s a brontosaurus in a lake on Skull Island that’s highly reminiscent of the famous Nessie photo. There’s also a plesiosaur later on but it acts like a constricting snake.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

edit: Mike Dash has a nice long article about Searle here: https://aforteantinthearchives.wordpress.com/2009/12/27/frank-searles-lost-second-book/ unfortunately all the images are dead, as is the link to Searle's final, unpublished Loch Ness pamphlet where he rails against other researchers. Bummer.

The Internet Wayback Machine managed to grab copies of all the images from the article: https://web.archive.org/web/20110811051656/http://aforteantinthearchives.wordpress.com/2009/12/27/frank-searles-lost-second-book/

I'll inline them here for people who can't be bothered clicking through posterity:

Image #4 corresponds with this part of the article:

quote:

All this changed when Shine and the LNMP came on the scene in the early 1980s. The Project, less easily intimidated, set up an ‘Evidence Committee’, run by a delightful, level-headed man named Ricky Gardiner, who was in real life an art teacher from Nottingham. Gardiner set about the first detailed examination of Searle’s photographs – checking images, comparing backgrounds to locate the site of shots – and soon came up with firm evidence of hoaxing. I don’t have a copy of his final report, and I’m recalling near 30-year-old conversations here, but I do remember Gardiner explaining that some of the shots – such as the July 1974 image shown right – had been set up in shallow water, where it was possible to place “muppets” that might well have consisted largely of cloth wrapped around a fence post. On this occasion, Searle had betrayed himself in another way as well; he had gone on record to state that the shot had been snatched with a telephoto lens, but the depth of focus he’d obtained would have been impossible to obtain with such equipment.

To me, it looks exactly like the silhouette of someone under the water sticking their arm out in the "I'm a little teapot" pose. Hilariously, Frank chose to put that lovely fake photo on the cover of his book (pictured above)

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is the 1970s UK postcard referred to in this part of the artice, I've posted the photos on top of it for comparison. I flipped the 'hump' photo horizontally to fit better

quote:

Gardiner’s proudest discovery, made in an Inverness newsagent’s shop, was a picture postcard of a brontosaurus. Examination of this image revealed startling similarities to several of Searle’s photos. The bungling monster-hunter had purchased copies, cut up portions of the dinosaur’s body, and glued them to photos of the loch surface to produce not one, but three different photos – one showing a head and neck, another a large single hump, and a third a tail emerging from the water (below). None of these images showed backgrounds; between them they were as crude as could be.

There's a copy of the vintage postcard on eBay right now if anyone wants to add it to their collection. ;)

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Apr 12, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

david_a posted:

Similar to how the first Chupacabra sighting was from someone who had recently watched Species, wasn’t one of the first Nessie sightings from a couple that were driving home from having seen King Kong? There’s a brontosaurus in a lake on Skull Island that’s highly reminiscent of the famous Nessie photo. There’s also a plesiosaur later on but it acts like a constricting snake.
Pretty much.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/did-king-kong-inspire-the-myth-of-the-loch-ness-monster/J5UR3D5VNKF6U6KQU6P76EYSJ4/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

david_a posted:

The first description of greys came after the Outer Limits had an episode with a costume that's grey looking. David Icke postdated tv showings of V. The entire theosophical movement and associated belief in vril is snapewife level fanfiction of the novel "The Coming Race". Mothman is named for a batman character who existed before any sightings. This applies to just about all cryptids.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

David Icke postdated tv showings of V.

Not only that but in The Biggest Secret, Icke cites the Super Mario Brothers movie as evidence that lizard people are real.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mothman is named for a batman character who existed before any sightings.

Coincidentally, Killer Moth was due to get his first TV appearance in 1967 (a year after the alleged Mothman sightings begun) on a spinoff from the '66 Batman TV show starring Batgirl and the unaired pilot recently resurfaced: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22i5c8

He sucks!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Omg thanks for the nessie archeology! The photos add so much to the article

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Omg thanks for the nessie archeology! The photos add so much to the article

The Internet Wayback Machine is an indispensable tool in internet archeology. ;)

I've been trying to find a live pdf of Searle's unpublished manuscript and found several different leads but none of them went anywhere. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

The first description of greys came after the Outer Limits had an episode with a costume that's grey looking. David Icke postdated tv showings of V. The entire theosophical movement and associated belief in vril is snapewife level fanfiction of the novel "The Coming Race". Mothman is named for a batman character who existed before any sightings. This applies to just about all cryptids.

Learning that the whole reptoids thing only happened after V aired was eye opening.

The whole Tulpa cryptid phenomenon is an upgrade to this. The collective unconsciousness makes creepy thing real, so it wasn't your mind assembling patterns in the woods causing you to see Slender Man, it was the collective unconscious making him real.

If that was true there would be many more Santa and Spider-Man sightings.