Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Darchangel posted:

Whole lotta people who don't realize that water weights around 7 pounds per gallon, and/or can't do the math.

This one time, at band camp, one of the trombone players had a pickup truck and he got the brilliant idea that he could line the bed with a big tarp and fill it with water before driving to marching practice, so we'd have a "pool" to cool off in during breaks.

Fortunately one of the nerdier members of the band did the math before he actually tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

In terms of weird early OSHA, there's a bit in the Talmud about a guy who "falls off a roof and is inserted into a woman by the force of his fall" and the legal consequences thereof.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There was a rapist in iirc England a couple of years ago who got acquitted with that defense

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Huh. The Talmud specifically does _not_ acquit a guy for doing that. I know the British courts are conservative as gently caress, but it's a real bad sign when you're farther to the right than a third-century Rabbinate discussing Levirate marriage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This has got to be a maintenance nightmare that you only very rarely get to appreciate like in this video.

I still kind of want it.

https://i.imgur.com/a1tASx2.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I cannot imagine trying to keep that sealed and clean. So much overhead for so little payoff.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Why?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

This has got to be a maintenance nightmare that you only very rarely get to appreciate like in this video.

I still kind of want it.

How would that be a maintenance nightmare more than any other skylight?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darchangel posted:

You can probably think about a lot of Kosher restrictions in the same way, really (please do not think I'm being anti-Semitic for this. There are some solid safety restrictions for the time in there.)
Oh yeah, basically any religion more than a couple thousand years old has a bunch of sensible life advice mixed up in the rest of its doctrine. I just love this one because it's so blatant (and yeah because there's a bunch of stuff in this topic I wouldn't touch with a barge pole but I'm pretty sure no-one worth worrying about is heavily invested in the divine provenance of mold law)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why not?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ptier posted:

My 1963 house called and says that it pre-dates safety. Which is why I have a poo poo interior door separating the garage from the kitchen.

It’s on my list to fix. Cause drat.

Thats ok. You've probably got plenty of Asbestos in the walls to help with that fire resistance.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I have several questions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hot, cold, and bubbly.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Ha! He doesn't know how to use the three spigots.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's pretty obviously dished to catch rain. Which means it's going to dribble off the edge(s) somewhere and even worse sit in there and get filthy all the time.

Other regular skylights are dished and/or angled to get water off of them immediately.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

kid sinister posted:

One is the bidet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Here I was assuming it was just a screen.

E: re: the shower topper

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

Thats ok. You've probably got plenty of Asbestos in the walls to help with that fire resistance.

Blessfully not. Just drywall and plaster! That and people said that it had aluminum wiring. Also wrong! Copper all the way!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

What if it's raining and you don't wanna get wet on the way to the pool

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kid sinister posted:

I thought this meme was forbidden.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's pretty obviously dished to catch rain. Which means it's going to dribble off the edge(s) somewhere and even worse sit in there and get filthy all the time.

Other regular skylights are dished and/or angled to get water off of them immediately.

dished? It looks angled slightly, you can see the water moving “up”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the toaster.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Not a toaster. It's a paper towel dispenser. Handy for cleaning up the mess caused by having three loving spigots emptying into one sink.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
And not a single handle or mixing valve in sight?

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is this a video screen or projection?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
7 pounds per gallon... I don't often wtf at imperial units but this one nailed me. What a pain in the rear end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

It's a paper towel dispenser.

I didn't say it's a good toaster.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Platystemon posted:

I still kind of want it.

actual skylight or a second rain shower upstairs? :thunk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aware posted:

7 pounds per gallon... I don't often wtf at imperial units but this one nailed me. What a pain in the rear end.

It’s not even right.

It’s eight and a third pounds for U.S. gallons, and almost precisely ten pounds for imperial gallons, because the imperial gallon was redefined on that basis by the Brits some decades after the U.S. won independence.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Platystemon posted:

It’s not even right.

It’s eight and a third pounds for U.S. gallons, and almost precisely ten pounds for imperial gallons, because the imperial gallon was redefined on that basis by the Brits some decades after the U.S. won independence.

So much more intuitive than 1 ml of water = 1 g (or 1 L = 1 Kg), takes up a 1 cm3 volume, and takes 1 calorie of energy to heat up by 1 degrees Celsius.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ebola Dog posted:

So much more intuitive than 1 ml of water = 1 g (or 1 L = 1 Kg), takes up a 1 cm3 volume, and takes 1 calorie of energy to heat up by 1 degrees Celsius.

What is that in bald eagles per barbecue, I didn't go to your fancy college

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Calories are poo poo and are muscling in on the real SI unit of energy, the joule.

Australia gets this one right. :australia:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Buddy, you wouldn't imagine the maintenance costs on a stargate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yeah, this is awesome. I hate getting wet when I want go out to the pool while it's raining.

E: F, B

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
posted with the comment "it still leaked"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Enjoy replacing your sink basin!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

Dang porcelain wasps! :argh:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

Equating weight to volume isn't entirely fair (although our system is still stupid in many ways) since it's defined to be 231 cubic inches of volume. 8 1/3 pounds is at least somewhat convenient for estimating weight since 3 gallons = 25 pounds.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

`Nemesis posted:

It's the king from the '93 Super Mario Bros movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Should there be some kind of jacketing or shield where the feed passes through the sheathing?