Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I said come in! posted:

Valve, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo should be forced to have no question asks refund policies that extend to a week but no playtime requirement.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Because all of the current refund policies are still unacceptably anti-consumer. The current market for video games is 100% one sided in the favor of game developers and publishers as is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I mean, apart from being able to get basically everything you want for free, yeah

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Being able to refund any game inside a week no matter how long you've played it would completely gently caress over tons of devs, especially indies who make shorter games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I mean, apart from being able to basically everything you want for free, yeah

Would it really matter? Game development is almost exclusively funded by investors, and tax subsidies now, at least for the biggest developers.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Volte posted:

Being able to refund any game inside a week no matter how long you've played it would completely gently caress over tons of devs, especially indies who make shorter games.

It would incentivize developers to only create GAAS titles where content is drip-fed out to consumers so they won't refund the game

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Amazon does it for 1 month with physical goods, it could definitely be done digitally to make it more consumer friendly, maybe with some restrictions.

err fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

err posted:

Amazon does it for 1 month with physical goods, it could definitely be done digitally to make it more consumer friendly, maybe with some restrictions.

Costco's refund policy is three years. They have the most consumer friendly policies of any company that i'm aware of. Wanting 1 week is extremely generous and not a big scary ask.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ooh ooh oooh, let me do the SA thing of replying sarcastically:

Just walking back to the movie theatre six days later, wanting my money back for those movies I watched last week. Nah they where fine I guess, I just want a refund.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Geoff Keighley is a piece of poo poo and if it weren't for him I wouldn't have played this overrated piece of poo poo called
It Takes Two
the premise is poorly utilized
the gameplay is boring and linear
and the writing doesn't land anything entertaining
I hate this game
I hate its developer

All i can say is it runs well and doesn't look awful but it sure as hell isnt inspiring

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think the dumb talking book made me really really hate the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

buglord posted:

Yeah Nier is pretty bad

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Public libraries should be able to lend steam games.

Guess it would be nice of the the refund period was a couple hours longer, but eh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

buglord posted:

I liked the dumb book. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
PC ports being such a poo poo show the last couple years is just an effort by the publishers to let us make informed decisions faster

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

well I got good news my friend because this is a game about super villains :c00l:

No they're not. They're still saving the world from a big bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hooking up with Brainiac’s team has historically been a great idea, they should do it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A lot of civilized countries have "two weeks no questions asked" laws for returning something you bought.
A video game disc for example.

It's just that digital industries have managed to weasel themselves out of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd play a decent supervillian game but they don't make those because it's bad for mass market appeal.

What I'm saying is that I need Prototype 3.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
aren't physical video games ineligible to be returned if the package is opened, assuming it was purchased new

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Valve, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo should be forced to have no question asks refund policies that extend to a week but no playtime requirement.

Here is my searing hot take: Can it be this, but they have to bring back the old style boxes, and the huge printed out book manuals?

Some of those boxes were pieces of art and it just isn't the same if I get a game off Steam and it sits there on my virtual shelf, with also appreciable art most times don't get me wrong, compared to me still having, say, the big-old box for Duke Nukem? Fallout 1 and 2?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've only tried returning a physical game once but they told me it has to still be wrapped in the original plastic, yeah. Maybe a different store would accept it though I very much doubt it since the one where I tried has one of the smoothest returns. EU, for reference.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm always jealous of how consumer friendly EU countries are. Some of these places have even banned lootboxes, which is why you're seeing it less and less in games. In America, there is basically no protections. If a product blows your arm off, you can maybe sue, and even if you win, the company can just appeal the decision until the end of time, and that option is cheaper than just outright paying you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm always jealous of how consumer friendly EU countries are. Some of these places have even banned lootboxes, which is why you're seeing it less and less in games. In America, there is basically no protections. If a product blows your arm off, you can maybe sue, and even if you win, the company can just appeal the decision until the end of time, and that option is cheaper than just outright paying you.

And even if you sue and win because, theoretically, you suffered second-degree burns from the product because the company found it more cost efficient to store it at unreasonably high temperatures, you will get ridiculed by the whole world and use as a prime example of USA's "litigious" society, when in reality the lawsuit was anything but litigious and it's just the company hiring PR firms trying to save their McFace.

Hellworld, truly.

But yeah, getting back on topic, I hope EU as a whole speeds up the process of classifying lootboxes as the gambling that they are.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

And even if you sue and win because, theoretically, you suffered second-degree burns from the product because the company found it more cost efficient to store it at unreasonably high temperatures, you will get ridiculed by the whole world and use as a prime example of USA's "litigious" society, when in reality the lawsuit was anything but litigious and it's just the company hiring PR firms trying to save their McFace.

Hellworld, truly.

But yeah, getting back on topic, I hope EU as a whole speeds up the process of classifying lootboxes as the gambling that they are.

I still get pissed when I think about how badly that poor little old lady got dragged in the mud, when McDonald's coffee literally melted the flesh of her legs together

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm always jealous of how consumer friendly EU countries are. Some of these places have even banned lootboxes, which is why you're seeing it less and less in games.

Yes but also the industry has invented new ways to monetize games. There's probably more games with sketchy business models now then there were a decade ago when lootboxes were still a thing.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

I said come in! posted:

Australia is introducing a legislation amendment so that any game containing loot boxes will be rated R18+ or Restricted Classification
https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r6949

Also the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission found that Valve was in breach of consumer law by refusing to provide refunds for customers, regardless of the circumstances. Under Australian Consumer Law, consumers can get a refund after Valve's two hour time limit if the game doesn't work as advertised (such as a patch that breaks a game).

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
when the accc first took valve to court steam didn't have much of a refund system at all - the refund system was introduced in response to that

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think Steam's approach is pretty fair, really. You've got 2 weeks to no quibble change your mind about even owning a game, and up to 2 hours of play time is fair enough in most cases to make a decision on if you're not happy.

They're pretty open when there's bullshit involved as well. IIRC they've recently honoured The Last of Us refunds of over 2 hours "play" time over that shader cache issue? They've previously done the same with Flight Sim and other games where you need to keep the game running as part of the installation.

I feel like once you start pushing those times further out, you just open the door to people taking the piss a bit.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Upsidads posted:

Geoff Keighley is a piece of poo poo and if it weren't for him I wouldn't have played this overrated piece of poo poo called
It Takes Two
the premise is poorly utilized
the gameplay is boring and linear
and the writing doesn't land anything entertaining
I hate this game
I hate its developer

All i can say is it runs well and doesn't look awful but it sure as hell isnt inspiring

it is really not a great game indeed. Especially the dumbass boomer storyline and "humor" is so off-putting the entire time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orv posted:

Yeah Nier is pretty bad

I'll fight you.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Paracausal posted:

Australia is introducing a legislation amendment so that any game containing loot boxes will be rated R18+ or Restricted Classification
https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r6949

I remember how an Adult classification kept me from playing Mortal Kombat as a kid.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

ZearothK posted:

I remember how an Adult classification kept me from playing Mortal Kombat as a kid.

Maybe Age verification is needed to buy 18+ games. AFAIK steam to this day doesn't have Age Verfications systems in place (at least in Germany) so publishers will be unable to receive money for product which == bad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

err posted:

amazon have their limits, if you return too much stuff they'll send you a warning and unlike steam they mean it, if you keep going you'll get banned

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cantide posted:

Maybe Age verification is needed to buy 18+ games. AFAIK steam to this day doesn't have Age Verfications systems in place (at least in Germany) so publishers will be unable to receive money for product which == bad

From what I can see, Steam has the bare minimum in age verification -- a window asking you to enter your age with no checks in place.

I get this window occasionally even while logged in and after checking the box in my preferences to "Always show mature content"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Generally speaking you can't refund digital goods bought on Amazon at all, even if you haven't used them, so Steam is way ahead of them there. The idea that buying a digital good, using it, getting your entire money's worth out of it (i.e. finishing or even 100%ing the game), and then refunding it falling under "consumer protection" is absurd. Consumer protection is supposed to protect consumers from being taken advantage of by sellers, not to turn the tables and let consumers take advantage of sellers. For every EA or whatever you think you're sticking it to, tons of smaller devs would be absolutely screwed over.

Also the EU's laws don't do anything to guarantee refunds on played games on Steam. Digital merchants are allowed to require you to waive that right in exchange for immediate digital download. You're only guaranteed a refund by law within 14 days if you haven't actually started downloading the game yet.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Volte posted:

The idea that buying a digital good, using it, getting your entire money's worth out of it (i.e. finishing or even 100%ing the game), and then refunding it falling under "consumer protection" is absurd.

Good thing nobody was defending this specific narrow scenario then, or they'd be rightfully labeled as absurd!

People keep bringing up apocalyptic scenarios where juuuuuuust a little more leeway on refunds means that many people regularly buy, fully complete and then refund games and I have no idea why they can't feel how hyperbolic the argument they're making is.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

KazigluBey posted:

Good thing nobody was defending this specific narrow scenario then, or they'd be rightfully labeled as absurd!

People keep bringing up apocalyptic scenarios where juuuuuuust a little more leeway on refunds means that many people regularly buy, fully complete and then refund games and I have no idea why they can't feel how hyperbolic the argument they're making is.

I said come in! posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

refunds only after 1,000 hours, support the true gamers

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hwurmp posted:

refunds only after 1,000 hours, support the true gamers

Subject to leaving a negative review at 1,000+ hours