Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing that was part of a bulk order? Surely you can return it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Luv the lovely walnut grade rules that let this 4.5” wide knotty banana grade FAS

Looks like it has sticker stains on it too. Idk if those can ever be removed. :wtc:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Black walnut having special rules for grading suddenly makes the apparent low prices/bdft that I see Americans talk about online make more sense. Though you can't honestly say it's cheap when half the board is trash. Weird though, I thought the entire point of FAS was having reasonably wide, long & clear boards, but I guess we got a case of the capitalisms. Sometimes I'm envious of North America having a standardized lumber grading system, unlike Europe, but a system you can't trust is worse than no system at all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm guessing that was part of a bulk order? Surely you can return it!

Yeah I just say I want X many feet of 4/4 walnut and pick it up, I don't get to specify anything except length (sometimes). It's worth it because their prices are so much lower than the lumberyard when I can pick it myself, I just order 50% more, and because nobody else it picking the good stuff out it's usually better stuff anyway. I can't really complain because it is 10' long stuff which is pretty long for walnut and half the boards are 8"+ and it was $5/bf. I think if the boards are more than 8' the rules on width and knots are even lower than for 8' or less (and less then 8' isn't even normally allowed in FAS) That one just really stuck out as some schwag. It'll be fine cut into shorter lengths. That's the worse face and most of the knots don't show through to the better face, and I think walnut is graded from the better face whereas normal FAS is graded from the worse face iirc.

I'm tiny and glad they even sell to me because they're a huge distributor and most of the their business is orders for thousands of bf at a time. I never complain and the only time I ever took something back was when it had active powder post beetles in it. I only did that because I thought they would like to know and they promptly threw the rest of the bunk that stuff had come out of in the dumpster.

Just Winging It posted:

Black walnut having special rules for grading suddenly makes the apparent low prices/bdft that I see Americans talk about online make more sense. Though you can't honestly say it's cheap when half the board is trash. Weird though, I thought the entire point of FAS was having reasonably wide, long & clear boards, but I guess we got a case of the capitalisms. Sometimes I'm envious of North America having a standardized lumber grading system, unlike Europe, but a system you can't trust is worse than no system at all.
I think the theory is that so little walnut would grade as actual FAS that the price would be so high and the volumes so low that mills wouldn't bother grading for it and would just lump it all in with #1 Common. Most users of walnut are cabinet shops or furniture/case goods and they can usually get around knots, and plenty of cabinet shops buy #1 common in every species because when you're ripping everything into 2"x26" door styles, defects are pretty easy to work around. The high end custom furniture lumber market is tiny, and walnut doesn't get used much for millwork where long clear lengths are more in demand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If an individual board has a given good grade it'll likely be fine. If you buy a pallet of graded wood, you'll get a few duds in the lot, and that's basically just a consequence of how wood gets milled and shipped - nobody's going to stand there and grade every plank on a pallet, it's not cost effective. So it's an average. The converse is also true though, you can go to home depot and pick through the grade 2 lumber and find the occasional clear straight board that would have had a higher grade, and pay grade 2 price for it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

If an individual board has a given good grade it'll likely be fine. If you buy a pallet of graded wood, you'll get a few duds in the lot, and that's basically just a consequence of how wood gets milled and shipped - nobody's going to stand there and grade every plank on a pallet, it's not cost effective. So it's an average. The converse is also true though, you can go to home depot and pick through the grade 2 lumber and find the occasional clear straight board that would have had a higher grade, and pay grade 2 price for it.

For hardwood, each board is individually graded, otherwise…what’s the point? Companies get big mad if lumber is off grade and it’s usually a good reason to find a new supplier.

Grading is often done by hand though I’m sure computers do some of it now too. A person stands on top of the boards as they go by on the line and marks them with a crayon on the stick and then people pull them off and separate them. Lumber grading is usually done at the mill after the lumber is dried and it’s a pretty skilled job, and usually done by eye-not every board is individually measured-so some mistakes definitely get through. Some mills only do drying and grading-they buy ungraded green lumber and then fry and grade it and add value that way, same as how many retail lumberyards buy a bunk of FAS from the mill and then pull all the 8”+ boards out and mark those up.

Plenty of places make up grades for marketing that aren’t official NHLA grades. One lumberyard I used to go to sold ‘rustic grade’ hickory and oak which apparently meant checked and knotty af, wouldn’t grade #2 common, but they sold it for only a little less than FAS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm probably conflating hardwood grading with grading of construction lumber, you're right.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I started a desk of theseus :v:

lovely paper "veneer" keeps peeling up on the front of my keyboard tray and getting worse so I used a piece of scrap cherry to replace it. Took the opportunity to round the edge since the right angle of the particle board piece was always uncomfortable.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I did a quick checkerboard parquetry pattern for a pull out shelf in the bookcase I'm working on. Cherry and walnut burl. It went fairly quick as I already had the jig built and the strips were mostly cut, offcuts from some other veneered panels for the same project.

I purposely put one cherry piece with the incorrect grain orientation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere in Norway, but at least I have access to a workshop.

Because my weekend date in Oslo canceled on me I spent yesterday making a shoehorn, and this spanking paddle (for consenting adults!) out of spalted birch.

It has a nice heft and balance to it. Didn't take any close-ups on the handle, but it's rounded.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 27, 2023

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I did a quick checkerboard parquetry pattern for a pull out shelf in the bookcase I'm working on. Cherry and walnut burl. It went fairly quick as I already had the jig built and the strips were mostly cut, offcuts from some other veneered panels for the same project.

drat harsh probe by Big Grain-Alignment.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Mambold posted:

drat harsh probe by Big Grain-Alignment.

Gotte dang they spoiled his clean rap sheet over it! :eyepop:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

harsh but fair imo

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
First they came for grain orientation and I said nothing

Then they came for my slats…

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I wasn’t really sure a better way to make repeatable nice cuts, so I’m jigsawing the rough chunk out and then routing to shape with that half assed jig to finish. I got half the cuts done this morning and it was a touch exhausting.

Half exposed my utility pockets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have been sent to this thread in service of my cutting board query:

Who makes very good cutting boards? Like not just well-made with end grain and appropriate woods and feet that stay attached and NO loving RUNNEL and well-oiled to start, but also really attractive and with obviously talented craftsmanship? I am ready for our kitchen to have a new centrepiece. Let’s pretend that price is literally no object to start! I want my kids fighting over this when my will is read.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

I wasn’t really sure a better way to make repeatable nice cuts, so I’m jigsawing the rough chunk out and then routing to shape with that half assed jig to finish.

The trick was to cut closer to the edges with the jigsaw since you enlarged your template from the original cutouts. This afternoon went much better.

I cut a chunk off the end of one plank to get this ugly spot to land in a cutout.

And done that hurdle. The router table is just propped up there to get a position on the boards. It’ll be fine tuned later.

I’ll cut and fit some strips of cherry as a skunk stripe to close up the middle where the table planks meet.

Edit: also, picked up a compact router today because I don’t want to always use that fuckoff 2hp one

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 16, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Meow Meow Meow posted:

(USER WAS FED INTO A JOINTER FOR THIS POST)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

HolHorsejob posted:

(USER WAS FED INTO A JOINTER FOR THIS POST)

it had better have been helical

or at least spiral

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Subjunctive posted:

Who makes very good cutting boards? Like not just well-made with end grain and appropriate woods and feet that stay attached and NO loving RUNNEL and well-oiled to start, but also really attractive and with obviously talented craftsmanship? I am ready for our kitchen to have a new centrepiece. Let’s pretend that price is literally no object to start! I want my kids fighting over this when my will is read.

There used to be a goon selling boards on SA mart. I wouldn't spend too much on an end grain board, they aren't heirloom items if you use it like you should. Even with oiling they will almost inevitably crack at some point.

Boos is the big name brand, and they're fine. If you can buy one in person at an art market even better.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

they're the simplest lowest skill finished product it's possible for a wood shop to poo poo out, and the more "obvious craftsmanship" you see in one the worse it is at the job. there's no secret masterpieces of the medium just go find one you like the look of on Etsy or at your local craft fair and pay an amount proportional to how much of a rube you are

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NomNomNom posted:

Boos is the big name brand, and they're fine. If you can buy one in person at an art market even better.

I thought I'd heard around here that Boos (the guy) is an rear end in a top hat? But that may be misremembering.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

they're the simplest lowest skill finished product it's possible for a wood shop to poo poo out, and the more "obvious craftsmanship" you see in one the worse it is at the job. there's no secret masterpieces of the medium just go find one you like the look of on Etsy or at your local craft fair and pay an amount proportional to how much of a rube you are
Yeah Etsy/craft fair are maybe meh as far as quality goes, but maybe they’re great! You just don’t know. Lots of people pumping out cutting boards don’t really know what they’re doing-I’ve seen 18” wide boards with cross grain glue ups and that ain’t gonna last. You just never know-someone might be making beautiful cutting boards but gluing them up with Elmer’s glue. With a bigger name like Boos you at least know there’s a reputation backing it up and you have some recourse if you ever have a problem which you don’t with a craft fair person you’ll never see again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, I found one I liked on Etsy and ordered a custom dimension at a pretty rube-like price. If it turns out to suck I will punish the maker savagely with a negative review!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah Etsy/craft fair are maybe meh as far as quality goes, but maybe they’re great! You just don’t know. Lots of people pumping out cutting boards don’t really know what they’re doing-I’ve seen 18” wide boards with cross grain glue ups and that ain’t gonna last. You just never know-someone might be making beautiful cutting boards but gluing them up with Elmer’s glue. With a bigger name like Boos you at least know there’s a reputation backing it up and you have some recourse if you ever have a problem which you don’t with a craft fair person you’ll never see again.

i've seen people arrive at multigenerationally long-lived cutting boards two ways: either it's some goofy inlaid thing that lasts forever because it's "too fancy" to get used hard, or it's a shop cutoff someone slathered feed n' wax on in 1980 and if it cracks or warps oh well that'll be $5 to replace but it just doesn't. Fair stuff where someone glued up a buncha random exotic hardwoods you can reasonably expect to look nice and crafty for a few years until you get a nasty irregular crack away from the glue line cause they did a fine job at assembly but purpleheart just can't handle being soaked and beaten on like that.

You can gamble on Boos being around to honor a warranty in a decade or so or you can accept there's probably a reason you didn't just inherit great-grandma's 150-year-old butcher block along with the dining chairs and china but it's not really an issue of craftsmanship per se

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 16, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

I thought I'd heard around here that Boos (the guy) is an rear end in a top hat? But that may be misremembering.

Might have come up in the knife thread? I remember hearing the same thing. They don't even round off the outer edges on those things either iirc.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

i've seen people arrive at multigenerationally long-lived cutting boards two ways: either it's some goofy inlaid thing that lasts forever because it's "too fancy" to get used hard, or it's a shop cutoff someone slathered feed n' wax on in 1980 and if it cracks or warps oh well that'll be $5 to replace but it just doesn't. Fair stuff where someone glued up a buncha random exotic hardwoods you can reasonably expect to look nice and crafty for a few years until you get a nasty irregular crack away from the glue line cause they did a fine job at assembly but purpleheart just can't handle being soaked and beaten on like that.

You can gamble on Boos being around to honor a warranty in a decade or so or you can accept there's probably a reason you didn't just inherit great-grandma's 150-year-old butcher block along with the dining chairs and china but it's not really an issue of craftsmanship per se

I did actually inherit grandma's cutting board, because it's just glued 1x1x8 (estimates, I didn't actually measure it) hard maple with no attempt to be fancy so it did last. Not 150 years yet, but probably 80?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What's a good finish for beech if I want to keep as much of the natural color as possible? I basically just want some more contrast out of the pattern, and hopefully something that will lessen over-time yellowing.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

anatomi posted:

What's a good finish for beech if I want to keep as much of the natural color as possible? I basically just want some more contrast out of the pattern, and hopefully something that will lessen over-time yellowing.

Water-based finishes usually turn yellow less than oil ones. I haven't used it, but General Finishes has a line they claim dries clear. In particular I'm really interested in their Dead Flat formulation.

GF Enduro-Var owns, IMO, but it does have some amber to it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks! I forgot to mention I'm in Europe, but maybe I can find that brand here.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

anatomi posted:

Thanks! I forgot to mention I'm in Europe, but maybe I can find that brand here.
Osmo Polyx or any of the other hard wax oils (y'all have alot more of them over there than we do in the US) are great for that. The matte osmo looks like there is nothing on the wood at all.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wonderful. I'll grab some Osmos then. Thanks y'all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

I did actually inherit grandma's cutting board, because it's just glued 1x1x8 (estimates, I didn't actually measure it) hard maple with no attempt to be fancy so it did last. Not 150 years yet, but probably 80?

This is exactly what I did to make mine. I think it ended up a bit bigger than 1", but I didn't measure it at final dimension. One ~6' long board of ~8" wide 4/4 hard maple was all it took. Just made sure all the pieces went through the planer to be the same size. It's about 18"x26" work space dimensions though. I like a big board.

Good cutting boards shouldn't have feet on them either. Flat and able to be flipped are all it really needs. End grain cutting boards with feet are asking to be broken. I break the hard plastic ones that don't sit flat too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Jhet posted:

It's about 18"x26" work space dimensions though. I like a big board.

This is me too. Our kitchen counters have a small lip at the edge so I need a decent sized board when I fillet fish and so I can get the knife parallel to the skin.

Got a ton of work done today and it’s looking more table-like.

Got both sides routed out for the T-track

I’ll fit little cherry strips up the middle when things are secured down.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

This picture with the cut-off corners really makes it look like an aircraft carrier.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This picture with the cut-off corners really makes it look like an aircraft carrier.

The USS Excess

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are you building a router table with a 144" rip capacity?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Fellatio del Toro posted:

do I sickos now, or sickos when they say yes

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockington posted:

The USS Excess

:bisonyes:

Build
All you can Build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Just an “anything” table: a base of operations for anything building related, outfeed for the table saw, or the router end table.

I can’t say my phone editing skills are up to snuff, but she’ll be a fine vessel when completed.