Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

No Wave posted:

Those are some very awkward decisions. The first chapter of one piece should not be hard to translate to film and make interesting, if they can't even get that part right it's totally dead.

i for sure believe twitter randos posting things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

FMA technically already had a series of live action movies, they were ok at best

I specified TV shows, not movies. And even among movies, Diamond Is Unbreakable is the only shonen battle manga adaptation that anyone had much in the way of expectations for that I can think of. (Battle Angel Alita is seinen.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I specified TV shows, not movies. And even among movies, Diamond Is Unbreakable is the only shonen battle manga adaptation that anyone had much in the way of expectations for that I can think of. (Battle Angel Alita is seinen.)

Ah ok, though in terms of manga adaptions in general I seem to recall the Japanese live action Death Note movies being alright as well

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, though I seem to recall the Japanese live action Death Note movies being ok as well

That’s why I was also careful to specify battle manga, lol.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

That’s why I was also careful to specify battle manga, lol

Yeah, I already corrected that but not fast enough it seems

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I already corrected that but not fast enough it seems

Sorry.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No problem

Anyway I don’t exactly have high hopes for live action One Piece considering the track record of western adaptations of Japanese media I’ve seen (the only exception I can think of is the Speed Racer movie) and the fact that stretchy limbs rarely look good in live action. The cast seems alright though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

No problem

Anyway I don’t exactly have high hopes for live action One Piece considering the track record of western adaptations of Japanese media I’ve seen (the only exception I can think of is the Speed Racer movie) and the fact that stretchy limbs rarely look good in live action. The cast seems alright though

I haven’t seen it, but I thought Alita: Battle Angel was well-regarded (more so than Speed Racer, which I was under the impression is one of those movies Cinema Discusso likes but nobody else does).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Silver2195 posted:

I haven’t seen it, but I thought Alita: Battle Angel was well-regarded (more so than Speed Racer, which I was under the impression is one of those movies Cinema Discusso likes but nobody else does).

Cinema Discusso is absolutely insufferable on the best of days. That said, Speed Racer is loving incredible.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
aaaaaaand the sea king is right behind me isnt he

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Introducing the whole cast in a small part of episode 1 is odd, but maybe the show is doing most of east blue as flashbacks or something? Lost style multi timeline stories are very popular on TV.

And yeah, I'm sure the show will be bad probably, but at least in my opinion "inconsistent tone" is always one of the weakest criticisms I hear of things, and that tweet thread seems baffled by the concept of characters having green and orange hair so I dunno.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

Do we know what mihawks bounty is? Always seemed a bit weird the world government treated him as a pirate as we only ever saw him loving up other pirates

Since brook has died does that mean his devil fruit is in the world somewhere or does he have to die again for that. Did oda answer that in an sbs?

They used to call him the Marine Hunter before he became a Warlord which gives you an idea of what he used to be like.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ryaomon posted:

[Bon chan] that's right mr prince, I'm not just a devil, I'm a devil fruit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zoro, chained to a post, to Luffy: So, what are ya lookin' for, some kinda One Piece?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Are you saying that we are, on the cruise?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ryaomon posted:

Nami: Actually Luffy, it's right in front of you....

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Watch them unroll all of the flashbacks to get a series of Prestige Dramas that all end in Gum Gum.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gummy Gummy Gatling!!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Amazing :lol:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yo ho ho he took a bite of a McDonalds Happy Meal™

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Netflix finds test audiences wants Shanks to have a vaguely Australian accent.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Incredible

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

Dorry and Brogy only had 200 mil combined put together, which is sorta high but given the level of conceptual menace a giant warrior pirate crew suggests they must have been either deeply prone to inactivity or victims of massive inflation to the berri value.

Well they were apparently super scary for a while then dropped off the face of the earth to fight for a century.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they were apparently super scary for a while then dropped off the face of the earth to fight for a century.

Oh, so, inflation? I see.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Counterpoint: Robin's bounty barely changed after it was updated like 30 years later.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Even if we assume they somehow hosed up the story, and now it's impossible to tell why the bad mans is getting punched, we are so far out from release that no project would have CGI that looks good. CGI effects are the type of thing that are worked on in a mad dash right up to the release date. Maybe a scene or two is nearing completion for the trailer, but I doubt it. We ain't going to see Gum Gum anything until the episodes drop. Current work copies probably are at best at Wolverine: Origins leak levels.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire first teaser is just the opening narration while Roger smiles and is executed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

Cinema Discusso is absolutely insufferable on the best of days. That said, Speed Racer is loving incredible.

"Speed Racer is the best movie ever" is the only correct idea CD has.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ryaomon posted:

*gets arm bit off* well, that just happened :rolleyes:

Ryaomon posted:

Sooo yeah I guess my arms stretch and I punch Sea Kings. That is something I do now…

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thanks to this commercial I've thought about McDonalds more in the last 10 minutes that I had in the last 10 years

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That bump on the bun is a conjoined twin that the sandwich ate in the womb, much like how Blackbeard gained his ability to have multiple devil fruits

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Silver2195 posted:

That's takashi miike for you. What a strange body of work that man has

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Kild posted:

Counterpoint: Robin's bounty barely changed after it was updated like 30 years later.

Robin's bounty is so weird. It's stuck at 79 mil for 20 years and then she openly declares war on the world government and escapes Enies Lobby and they bump it up by a single million? Then it becomes like almost a billion after Wano for "knowing about Poneglyphs" except that's the very reason she got a bounty in the first place. :confused: Guess the Road Poneglyps specifically are a Really Big Deal to the world government but it still feels weird

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Robin's bounty was basically immediately raised to top level just for the ability to read Poneglyphs. However there weren't any poneglyphs that were believed to have any knowledge value before the New World. Everyone's bounty mostly got a huge bump after Wano because they're now members of an Emperor's crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Was it known she could read them? Surely it was a consequence of her being an O'Hara escapee something the rest of the world didn't actually know about?