Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

Remember the original angry birds? They actually went back and delisted the original to stop people buying it and make them play the new FTP version of it.

yuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Wayne Knight posted:

I don't play games on my phone. It's ok to not stare at your phone for periods of time.

????

what do you do while watching tv then?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

????

what do you do while watching tv then?

sleep!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Expo70 posted:

Or y'know, a single fluid movement with your thumb from the bottom to go back and forth like an invisible taskbar

it works like this on ios now. or is that the joke?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ah ok that's cool then

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

I mean Roblox and Minecraft are a billion times more accessible and intuitive than basic or assembly or c++ or whatever we had when we were kids, and let you create complex logic and full rear end games with custom assets, whatever. yeah, it’s a “prepackaged” product but it’s still coding.

the ability to make the computer do what you want it to has literally never been easier or cheaper than it is today.

shamefully i learned to code with second life. so there's going to be tons of nerds that learned to code in roblox or whatever.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i learned to code from modding games and making websites. same concept. i think the kids will be alright.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the only good mobile games are the kairosoft games, before they went free to play

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

e: wait no I got my phones mixed up in my head nevermind

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

aardvaard posted:

the only good mobile games are the kairosoft games, before they went free to play

i like disney's where's my water, a game about giving an alligator a bath

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

android is owned by google ergo it is disqualified from use

it’s not that complicated

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

my pixel 2 is still needs-suiting idk what the big deal is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hailthefish posted:

my pixel 2 is still needs-suiting idk what the big deal is

same but pixel 3

sometimes i'm like "i've had this phone for like 5 years it feels like i should have needed to get a new one by now" but everything's still fine with it so :shrug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dang y'all actually learned to code? i think the only time i actually did something that id really call "learning to code" was when i went through the learning perl and practical c programming oreilly books in high school. i guess the visual basic class i took freshman year of high school counted too. everything else has been varying degrees of "try some poo poo, see what works, iterate" or learning CS stuff to enable "trying some poo poo" to work more effectively (and for interviews)

if you call the nonsense i do "learning" we are gonna have _angry words_

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

dang y'all actually learned to code? i think the only time i actually did something that id really call "learning to code" was when i went through the learning perl and practical c programming oreilly books in high school. i guess the visual basic class i took freshman year of high school counted too. everything else has been varying degrees of "try some poo poo, see what works, iterate" or learning CS stuff to enable "trying some poo poo" to work more effectively (and for interviews)

if you call the nonsense i do "learning" we are gonna have _angry words_

i learned to code via your method of trying poo poo and seeing what works, but then i also had college courses on coding that filled in the blanks. i think this is prolly how a lot of people's programming knowledge developed in here

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah my architecture class did legit teach me to code in mips

the rest of our classes were "here's a CS concept, we're using java/c++/whatever, here's some helper classes, solve the problem." i wouldn't really call them learning to code in that we never really learned how to use any particular language or its unique features in an idiomatic way. maybe later courses i never took did that but it was a very math heavy program so i doubt it. maybe the intro java course but it was loops and ifs and stuff and was trivial

mostly im just bein goofy though

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 15, 2023

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i learned to program via the "go to the library, check out books about computer stuff, read them cover-to-cover, and wish i had a computer" method

later i fished an old mac out of a dumpster, somehow got ahold of a copy of qbasic for it, and then spent countless hours trying to get stuff to work while using a manual for a completely different dialect of basic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

i learned to program via the "go to the library, check out books about computer stuff, read them cover-to-cover, and wish i had a computer" method

later i fished an old mac out of a dumpster, somehow got ahold of a copy of qbasic for it, and then spent countless hours trying to get stuff to work while using a manual for a completely different dialect of basic

this owns

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

what do you think "learning" means

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's the "to code" part im being silly about you goose

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just started doing stuff at work and went from there because nobody stopped me or did anything approaching a code review or in fact any review

ship an absolutely disgraceful single html page application with java script that uses WCF as an api backend? Sure why not!

I got a bit better after that tbf, and I am pretty drat good at SQL

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also vampire survivors is the best game on a phone ever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
theres a mobile game called seedship and i think its the only game i ever enjoyed on a phone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i played you must build a boat when we were in the hospital for little jones's birth. it was a good game and kept me occupied and almost sane when ms jones was asleep and he was with the nurses

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i like disney's where's my water, a game about giving an alligator a bath
yeah the first one was good. too bad about the sequel :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
allow me to make a completely objective and impartial recommendation for notably IAP-lacking ios game Hog Crankers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

allow me to make a completely objective and impartial recommendation for notably IAP-lacking ios game Hog Crankers

game rules, i still whip it out and crank a couple of times a week.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

theres a mobile game called seedship and i think its the only game i ever enjoyed on a phone

hmm i liked peggle

there was also a fairly cut down version of civ called civilization revolution that i liked, it was pretty easy to dominate. shame both are long gone

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

kitten emergency posted:

also vampire survivors is the best game on a phone ever

better than survivor.io? :monocle:

i love it on steam but idk from the mobile version

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i'm trying to ~learn to code~ with some beginner stuff so i can see if i actually like it enough to pursue further and it makes me feel like a big dumb idiot because i barely know what these words mean and also math is hard

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i've been a professional software developer for almost ten years and i still barely know what some of those words other programmers use mean

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the beauty of code is it does the math for you

now setting up the problem, that’s it’s own problem.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Gnossiennes posted:

i'm trying to ~learn to code~ with some beginner stuff so i can see if i actually like it enough to pursue further and it makes me feel like a big dumb idiot because i barely know what these words mean and also math is hard

remember, variables are like boxes... or was it buckets...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
variables are buckets, pointers are bits of string

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
monads are just monoids in the category of endofunctors

sort of like a burrito, really

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

drug wars on a palm v in class rules

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pfft. "learn"

i just show up and start pushing buttons and people throw money at me. i haven't learned a drat thing in 25 years, i'm a professional

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
pointers are like the hookshot in twilight princess.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
pointers are little helpful friends who live in you are computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i didn’t learn to code until 25 or whatever. i actively stopped being a nerd on purpose when i was about 17 cos i wanted to touch more boobs and take more drugs and party

i did do a little basic coding as a child. but i ended up on this cursed computer path because i was working in a secondhand shop for $10 an hour and had an epiphany in the middle of a conversation arguing about a camera lens that i needed to do something more professional/stimulating or id lose my mind

i chose to do a degree in IT at a local trade school cos if I worked in computers I figured i could post on the dogsonacid forums and piss about in IRC all day at work

and here I am