Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sometimes Even Reality is a Lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

My Wife Has No Emotion

Not my screencap, but I saw this somewhere else on the internet and then read the whole manga.

(Fair warning, it is extremely horny for robots)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tomorrow I Will Become Someone’s Girlfriend

From the same series:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

It does shift to also being philosophical about robots in society and also just being a family. Also they still can't even quite figure out kissing or hugging so the horniness only gets so far

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The wife repeatedly smashing it's solid porcelain face into the husband's in an attempt to kiss him is my second favourite joke in the manga.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The wife repeatedly smashing it's solid porcelain face into the husband's in an attempt to kiss him is my second favourite joke in the manga.

Indeed.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
How small that robot is gives me uncomfortable vibes and I don't like that the robot doesn't seem have a lot of knowledge and needs a lot of basic facts explained to her. She has access to the internet, so I would expect her to never need basic facts explained to her. Instead I would expect that her robotic nature causes her to apply her knowledge in ways that are "efficient", but would seem psychopathic to a human. I guess that isn't really the genre the author was going for.

Also, if the robot isn't a person, what is the main character doing, falling in love with an unfeeling machine? But, if the robot IS a person, then she's basically a slave, isn't she? She can't choose to disobey her owner. Can she even choose not to love her owner? It's uncomfortable no matter what.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Brutal Garcon posted:

I didn't think it was bad until the sister showed up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The sister thankfully rarely shows up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nebrilos posted:

She has access to the internet, so I would expect her to never need basic facts explained to her.
you have access to google and wikipedia, yet still ask questions. curious!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

The junk collector posted:

I didn't think it was bad until the sister showed up.

Y'all were not exaggerating, holy poo poo. :stare:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ghostbuster Osamu

Hirayasumi

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

you have access to google and wikipedia, yet still ask questions. curious!

I am merely human. I can’t scrape thousands of Wikipedia articles per second, nor can I come preinstalled with basic contemporary knowledge.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

I am merely human. I can’t scrape thousands of Wikipedia articles per second, nor can I come preinstalled with basic contemporary knowledge.
Just off the cuff, it's easy to come up with a reason why it'd work similarly for robots; it could be that the majority of their processing power is taken up simulating the sort of activity our brain does, because they'd be fairly thermally limited in terms of how much heat can be dissipated.

There, that didn't even take a minute, and doesn't doesn't really involve anything outside our current understanding of science, except for the notion of being able to simulate the human brain.

I've no idea about the robot manga, but it's fun to come up with ideas for how science fiction worlds work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Since it's an anime just represent that heat expenditure as fiery red hair-jets

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nebrilos posted:

How small that robot is gives me uncomfortable vibes and I don't like that the robot doesn't seem have a lot of knowledge and needs a lot of basic facts explained to her. She has access to the internet, so I would expect her to never need basic facts explained to her. Instead I would expect that her robotic nature causes her to apply her knowledge in ways that are "efficient", but would seem psychopathic to a human. I guess that isn't really the genre the author was going for.

Also, if the robot isn't a person, what is the main character doing, falling in love with an unfeeling machine? But, if the robot IS a person, then she's basically a slave, isn't she? She can't choose to disobey her owner. Can she even choose not to love her owner? It's uncomfortable no matter what.

The other part that set off alarms for me is his brief aside about his last girlfriend (back in middle school):

Girls are so annoying about their likes and dislikes, guess I better make this subservient "rice cooker with some brainpower" my wife.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The real question is whether twin tails or drill hair provide the best solution for radiating waste heat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Drill hair, more surface area

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

A vision of a dystopian future: the IRS is staffed by high efficiency drill hair bots running TurboTax 9000 and they're programmed to do the ojou-sama laugh at all the returns

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Faraway Paladin

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
speaking of android maids, I've been enjoying "Robo Maid ga Kanjou Yutaka ni Naru Hanashi" which also happen to be less creepy because she has more of a personality and the guy is depicted as the weird one

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
From the most recent chapter of Dandanan:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Robots... are good!

Tonari no Robot
I can't post the best panel because it's at the end, but it's only 8 chapters so read it

Useless Ponko
*Note: Ponko is not useless

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 19, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ponko is only mostly useless.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The sister thankfully rarely shows up

Are there any dude butler robots? Or is it just lady robots?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Nebrilos posted:

Search your kokoro for the truth.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The junk collector posted:

Search your kokoro for the truth.

Everyone knows that society's need for butlers is fulfilled by criminals, usually drivers with insufficient insurance, although some upper class families (your Wayneses, Ramkins, or Smiths, for example) are able to pick up more specialized experts.

Sadly, the laws were written many years ago, and thus aren't terribly egalitarian, creating a wide market for robot maids.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

GloomMouse posted:

Useless Ponko
*Note: Ponko is not useless

Isn't the next Ponko the last chapter? Sad times.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nebrilos posted:

There’s male robots but no butlers. The main robot isn’t a maid, tbf

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is the panels you like thread not the painful truths thread :smith:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Speaking of, Here it is.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

:unsmith:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Oh man that two page spread of Ponko's memories...

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 21, 2023

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Just binged the entirety of Ponko, there was a bit of a rough patch with the translation when the new group took over but that was an excellent manga.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nebrilos posted:

Strangely, the male version came first; Asimov's stories had several iterations of the male-coded robot servant who entered an emotional affair with the female owner. I suspect this does not enter manga much because Asimov did not really make it sexy but I bet you there's some joshi manga out there on the topic.

If not, you may have found your key to success.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko has a very very subtle romance plot with two female-coded robots, one of which starts out as a maid of sorts.

It's not manga, but Hal from 2013 is also quite good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hi Score Gurl Dash

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Didn't even need to click the link to know what it was.