Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

According to Luceno via Wookiepedia ‘Sheev’ was the name Lucas came up with for use with the Star Wars: Underworld show that never happened. I’d wondered because he went to pains to not give him a first name in Darth Plagueis, then casually drops it in Tarkin a couple years later.

"Sheev" is also phonetically close to the gaelic "sìth", which makes his name another Lucas-style descriptive name like Greedo and Sleazebaggano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

please. Mr. Sleazebaggano is my father

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
What about count poop aka Darth Tyrannus

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Duke Countu

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Live-action debut of both a pretty major classic EU character, plus a lesser Disney-era EU character, on Mandalorian this week.

Captain Pellaeon! Played by Xander Berkeley, the guy who has to be in every genre show for at least an episode. And General Hux's father, played by General Hux's brother.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Correct me if I’m wrong but Wasn’t Commandant Hux written to look like Brendan Gleason in Phasma? Brian’s a bit too skinny.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Wasn’t Commandant Hux written to look like Brendan Gleason in Phasma? Brian’s a bit too skinny.

Yeah, but he's got plenty of time to pack on some pounds in the Outer Rim, if you know what I'm saying.

I don't remember when Phasma is set, to be fair.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 13, 2023

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

There also is a full-on spoiler image released of Grand Admiral Thrawn as he looks in Ahsoka floating around so beware if you want to avoid character spoilers related to that show, but I regret to say that he really, really looks like Elon Musk to me.

Oh ugh that was real? I thought it was some fake bullshit my youtube was recommending to me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hey I’m talking on a Star Wars discord and could someone give me the cliffs notes on why Troy Denning is so hated? I don’t know if I’ve ever read any of his books (or if I have, I don’t remember them at all).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Hey I’m talking on a Star Wars discord and could someone give me the cliffs notes on why Troy Denning is so hated? I don’t know if I’ve ever read any of his books (or if I have, I don’t remember them at all).

he wrote a lot of the post-NJO bad books including the bug orgy one that was in this thread's title for years and was also supervising other authors, like karen traviss, who were also writing bad books.

idk i think his contributions to the pre-NJO canon like tatooine ghost are pretty good but it seems like becoming the lead EU guy writing the big main plot books instead of small sidestories broke his brain or something.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xenomrph posted:

He made Star Wars pretty miserable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He thinks a really high body count and grisly violence is the only way to have high stakes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Isn't he weirdly misogynistic too or am I confusing him for someone else?

The slapfight between him and Traviss didn't help anyone's impression of him either.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

The slapfight between him and Traviss didn't help anyone's impression of him either.
It doesn’t ring a bell when I think of him. If he is it’s not super overt. To be fair to him Traviss comes across like an absolute nightmare of a person.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Was it Denning or Traviss who killed off Mara Jade?

I’m sure someone can give more details, but the general gist I’ve always gotten of the post-NJO books is they tend to be too grimdark and full of blatant author slap fighting from one book to the next, particularly with Denning and Traviss (Which seems to be a common theme with Traviss).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

fartknocker posted:

Was it Denning or Traviss who killed off Mara Jade?

That was Traviss.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was Traviss who killed her and Pellaeon off, but Denning was running the show. Zahn didn’t find out until after the books were printed and wasn’t happy.

I think Traviss was also the brain genius who thought implying Tahiri sexually assaulted underage Ben Skywalker was a great plot point.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

I think Traviss was also the brain genius who thought implying Tahiri sexually assaulted underage Ben Skywalker was a great plot point.

Nope, that was Denning too

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

A few reasons besides the ones mentioned above:

Denning seemed to really enjoy torturing the Young Jedi Knights characters and he's one of the reasons that the YJK cast got so hollowed out and the OT-era "adult" cast stayed in the center stage. He also didn't seem to have a firm grasp of time so just wrote Jaina at age 40 like she was still a teenager.

Near the end of his tenure I know he made a statement to the effect of "if characters aren't in the Jedi Temple they don't count" and so his entire Jedi Order were just the Jedi living in the temple and no real consideration to those elsewhere.

He also explicitly disliked the Legacy comics, stated that he did not consider them canonical, and actively tried to sabotage them (for example, by having Jagged Fel retire from Imperial leadership, at odds with what the Legacy comics state).

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't know if this is necessarily misogynistic but he repeatedly had Leia dress up as an alien and had other characters talk about how sexy she looked. I think it happens in Tatooine Ghost, Star by Star, and one of his LOTF books (where it's Jaina who's the one who thinks how hot her mom looks as an alien).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

That was Denning and there was no implication. Tahiri explicitly shoes her hand beneath Ben's waistband while he's strapped down to a table because a 30 year old woman molesting a 14 year old boy is really what Star Wars needs.

There's plenty to Criticize in Traviss's books without pinning the gross crap Denning wrote on her as well.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 16, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
He also had Luke explicitly condone torture for information because it would save lives.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

That was Denning and there was no implication. Tahiri explicitly shoes her hand beneath Ben's waistband while he's strapped down to a table because a 30 year old woman molesting a 14 year old boy is really what Star Wars needs.

There's plenty to Criticize in Traviss's books without pinning the gross crap Denning wrote on her as well.
It’s a really awful series that I’ll never revisit so my memory of who did what is mostly:
1. Traviss kills Mara and Pellaeon
2. Denning has Jacen crawl around in a pit of syringes.
3. Allston hides in the corner and hopes nobody notices he’s here too.

I would reread the Bug Nest Orgy Trilogy again before I’d ever touch LOTF again.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

One of the LOTF books had an interview with the authors of the series that sheds some light on some of their decisions, including stuff like Mara's death:

LOTF Author Interview posted:

Random House: Okay, let's cut to the chase: the death of Mara Jade at the hands of Jacen Solo. Who came up with this idea, and how was it received by everyone in the initial story conferences?

Troy Denning: That's your first question? You make us sound like a hit squad.

Aaron Allston: The idea came up at our late 2004 meeting at Big Rock Ranch, but I resist saying who brought up the idea first. I'm not going there.

Karen Traviss: I'm afraid it was me who suggested that Jacen had to kill someone he loved. But I'm the Brit, remember. We're always the bad guys.

There's also something kind of funny about Traviss being asked about the Force, and her quoting her own Boba Fett dialogue as a reliable authority.

quote:

RH: How has your understanding of the light and dark sides of the Force changed in the course of writing these books?

KT: Not so much the Force as the nature of Force users. It strikes me as more and more sectarian every day. As Boba says, it's a small religious schismatic war within a tiny unelected elite that drags in trillions of folk. The reader obviously sees most of Star Wars with a heavy Jedi perspective, but I'd bet that the average galactic citizen knows no more about the Jedi Council and what it gets up to than most folk in the real world know about the World Bank.

Her aside about the World Bank also seems to have unfortunately foreshadowed her retweeting Breitbart people and liking Elon Musk tweets about the "woke mind virus".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wasn’t aware of her more recent activities but she did have a pretty fashy vibe even back when she threw her fit and quit SW.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I occasionally had a peek at Traviss' blog back when I was young and stupid and the only thing she had written yet was the first two Republic Commando books, and what I remember of it is that she simultaneously seemed to hold a huge reverence for the military seemingly stemming from her days as a defense correspondent, while also having zero faith in civilian government (her living in England, this is somewhat understandable). And she was online, a lot. She was probably already on that trajectory, but it couldn't have helped that her work being as polarising as it was left her essentially at the center of her own echo chamber.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Back in the day when she posted on TheForce.Net, one of her biggest fans there explicitly described himself as a Catholic Fascist. And this was the mid-2000s, before conservatives were as comfortable saying that out loud as they are now.

Funnily that guy had a meltdown when Travis’s introduced the gay Mandalorians. I’m going to guess she probably wouldn’t do that today.

I used to interact with Traviss on LiveJournal back when Hard Contact came out and the only thing I remember was her talking about getting off to Temuera Morrison and the guy who was the Peacekeeper commander in the early seasons of Farscape.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I argue she was always that. Case in point, her Gears of Wars books....

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The fact that she worked as a journalist in England also probably meant she was destined to become a right wing lunatic. Though I do think that more broadly there's also the fact that a lot of journalists across the Atlantic simultaneously think of themselves as liberals but are actually fairly conservative (the reasonable centrist disorder).

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The second New Republic Marvel Omnibus comes out in September collecting the entire comic Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire Trilogy, and a bunch of Boba Fett issuess. I am excited, and already sold my old Dark Empire Marvel TPB to get it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rochallor posted:

KOTOR has a lot to answer for.

Cos does get a callout in Plaeguis as Palpatine's father's name.

Sheev is a bad named because it sounds like Steve, and you probably want to avoid calling your main villain Steve Palpatine, and you're on the money about Ethril, too.

I keep a notebook full of interesting place names whenever I travel somewhere because they often make good fantasy names and those are hard to come up with, so here's ten names that would pair better with Palpatine: Ullin. Malden. Haytl. Dyess. Tyronza (sounds a little like Tyrone, but also like tyrant, classic Lucas naming). Bosnaga. Herak. Vidor. Branfel. Solmo.

Sheev has grown on me alot. its dumb as hell but it has a nice banality of evil to it. like some evil wizard who made grand plans and hosed the galaxy for decades is basicaly named steve,

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The second New Republic Marvel Omnibus comes out in September collecting the entire comic Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire Trilogy, and a bunch of Boba Fett issuess. I am excited, and already sold my old Dark Empire Marvel TPB to get it.

It's kind of silly that the Thrawn Trilogy comics adaptations didn't use the same artist. It gives them a lot of disconnect. The best by far is Dark Force Rising, which was done by Terry Dodson. Dodson is also one of the few people who worked on Dark Horse-era Star Wars comic and also did stuff in the (new) Marvel era.

Those Boba Fett comics are a lot of fun, too. Standalone stories that have action but also aren't too serious. Actually, thinking about it, they'd be great source material for adapting to Mandalorian episodes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

It's kind of silly that the Thrawn Trilogy comics adaptations didn't use the same artist. It gives them a lot of disconnect. The best by far is Dark Force Rising, which was done by Terry Dodson. Dodson is also one of the few people who worked on Dark Horse-era Star Wars comic and also did stuff in the (new) Marvel era.

Those Boba Fett comics are a lot of fun, too. Standalone stories that have action but also aren't too serious. Actually, thinking about it, they'd be great source material for adapting to Mandalorian episodes.

It's my secret wish that we get a Book of Boba Fett season 2 and it straight up adapts Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chairman Capone posted:

That's the downside of comics, artists change frequently it seems. I do remember Book 2 and 3 adaptations having better art. I love those covers they did too.

Only Boba Fett comic I had as a kid was the one where Fett hunts down the ex-Imperials who are straight up genociding aliens because they can.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I should probably grab that omnibus. I have the Thrawn Trilogy and Crimson Empire in hardcover but haven’t managed to buy a nice copy of Dark Empire any time it’s been marginally affordable.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

It's my secret wish that we get a Book of Boba Fett season 2 and it straight up adapts Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction.

That would be cool, but they'd have to change a lot. They've already done Cobb Vanth as a "mistaken for Mandalorian character", and now that Fett's armor isn't unique, contriving a reason for someone to impersonate him specifically rather than just trading on the Mandalorian reputation in general might be difficult.

Though they really haven't touched on the Clone aspect of the character very much. The new canon has shied away from the idea of Clones being culturally Mandalorian, but it still could be interesting if some clone's kid is running around as a bounty hunter claiming to be Jango Fett's son, and Boba has to basically face off against a younger version of himself. It could also deal with some of the criticism from the first season that they made Boba a crime lord who doesn't do any crimes - maybe it would start with him out to prove that he's still the hardass guy he used to be, but over the course of the series he'd come to terms with getting older and softer, and maybe have to choose between killing the kid or helping him to clean up his act.

But by then you're getting so far away from the original story that it wouldn't even be worth calling it the same thing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gonna be a missed opportunity if they never have bossk pop out of a closet

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No lizard dance around the courtyard, no deal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

The new canon has shied away from the idea of Clones being culturally Mandalorian, but it still could be interesting if some clone's kid is running around as a bounty hunter claiming to be Jango Fett's son, and Boba has to basically face off against a younger version of himself.
The clone would be older. We know what Rex looked liked by the time Yavin rolled around, and it doesn't seem like the advanced aging speed ever got "fixed".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's enough cloning projects going around in Disney EU at the moment that you could just have some other random Imperial warlord with a cat somewhere making Fett clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The clone would be older. We know what Rex looked liked by the time Yavin rolled around, and it doesn't seem like the advanced aging speed ever got "fixed".

Robot Style posted:

it still could be interesting if some clone's kid