Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sirotan posted:

Yikes, those are not footings, they are deck blocks.

Yeah, looking at the angle the closest one in the front is, those are just blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Yikes, those are not footings, they are deck blocks.

They’re on top of some sort of (obviously inadequate) footing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Steve French posted:

Speaking of moats, winter is finally ending here and the damage is revealing itself. Aside from about 20 mangled aspens, this is the most notable, as my moat has receded

I don't know how deep those footings are but I'm very skeptical that they're anywhere close to deep enough.

Yikes, looks like instead of using the cardboard tube forms they just dumped some concrete in a shallow hole and called it a day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Yikes, looks like instead of using the cardboard tube forms they just dumped some concrete in a shallow hole and called it a day.

Sonotubes have little to do with long term stability and everything to do with a predictable pour volume. Whatever is happening there appears to be insufficient depth. That same depth in a sonotube would have done the same thing. Or worse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"So you're saying I need to dig down like four feet to make a stable foundation? It's just a deck! It'll be fine!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"So you're saying I need to dig down like four feet to make a stable foundation? It's just a deck! It'll be fine!"

I mean...I think in some circumstances it CAN be fine if it's a floating deck?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Was just scooping some mulch up and noticed we have subterranean termites. Yay.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pouring a 3 inch deep sonotune :whatup:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean...I think in some circumstances it CAN be fine if it's a floating deck?

Not in a temperate zone.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I was surprised to learn that the code requirement for foundation depth at my location is only 18"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In my own deck adventure, I finally called a design firm who didn't immediately say sorry too busy/too small. They say they'll be over tomorrow. I suspect this is a hallucination, and tomorrow I'll wake up without kidneys

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

County permit issued. :D

Still waiting on the HOA. :rolleyes:

But now I can start.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My permit woes have an end in sight. After many months and tens of thousands in Geotechnical analysis, Architectural and Structural revisions, we finally received the stage 1 permit from the provincial government.

It took 17 months from date of application to issuance. 17 goddamn months.

Now I just need the municipal building permit (concurrent application but needs provincial permit to be issued prior to being granted), and I can stick a shovel in the ground to commemorate start of construction for our new home.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

My permit woes have an end in sight. After many months and tens of thousands in Geotechnical analysis, Architectural and Structural revisions, we finally received the stage 1 permit from the provincial government.

It took 17 months from date of application to issuance. 17 goddamn months.

Now I just need the municipal building permit (concurrent application but needs provincial permit to be issued prior to being granted), and I can stick a shovel in the ground to commemorate start of construction for our new home.

That must have been exhausting. I have scores of hours just in a covered 630sqft deck. I hope you get to dig soon.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Really fun septic question: every time I shower or use the laundry, septic juice bubbles up from a specific spot in my yard and stinks up my entire neighborhood.

My septic tank was built in the 30s and is a redwood tank with no top and a giant tree root growing out of it. Miraculously, in spite of that, three different septic companies have inspected it and said it's well-functioning and that the leech field is in good condition. I live in an area of California that was pounded by atmospheric rivers over the past few months, specifically a mid-mountain area where a lot of water is still draining out from farther up the mountain, so the soil is pretty inundated. Our septic company says that this issue is due to the inundation and has advised us to just wait until the water drains out of the mountain and everything dries up (it isn't going to rain here until maybe November) and the issue will take care of itself, but I would really like to be able to look my neighbors in the eyes at some point in the next month, so looking for ways to mitigate the smell.

So far I've tried dumping a bunch of dirt and mulch on top of that spot. This unsurprisingly just kind of made the spot shift over a little bit to an even worse part of the yard. Is there something permeable but odor-absorbing that I can dump on top of this spot to get me through the next few weeks?

Props to all the dummies in this neighborhood who were offered the chance to get on city sewer ~10 years ago before we moved in, when a big new hotel development went in and they turned it down because it would cost a few thousand bucks, now they all have to pay $100k for engineered septic systems in the next 10 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mega dy posted:

Really fun septic question: every time I shower or use the laundry, septic juice bubbles up from a specific spot in my yard and stinks up my entire neighborhood.

My septic tank was built in the 30s and is a redwood tank with no top and a giant tree root growing out of it. Miraculously, in spite of that, three different septic companies have inspected it and said it's well-functioning and that the leech field is in good condition. I live in an area of California that was pounded by atmospheric rivers over the past few months, specifically a mid-mountain area where a lot of water is still draining out from farther up the mountain, so the soil is pretty inundated. Our septic company says that this issue is due to the inundation and has advised us to just wait until the water drains out of the mountain and everything dries up (it isn't going to rain here until maybe November) and the issue will take care of itself, but I would really like to be able to look my neighbors in the eyes at some point in the next month, so looking for ways to mitigate the smell.

So far I've tried dumping a bunch of dirt and mulch on top of that spot. This unsurprisingly just kind of made the spot shift over a little bit to an even worse part of the yard. Is there something permeable but odor-absorbing that I can dump on top of this spot to get me through the next few weeks?

Props to all the dummies in this neighborhood who were offered the chance to get on city sewer ~10 years ago before we moved in, when a big new hotel development went in and they turned it down because it would cost a few thousand bucks, now they all have to pay $100k for engineered septic systems in the next 10 years.

You system is not properly functional, what the gently caress are those people saying?

If you have periods where your leech field is too wet to work you have two options: the long term one where you put in a new leech field. In your case likely a sand mound. And/or you put in a storage tank that you can switch over to when the leech field is too wet to work properly and get it pumped as needed.

All you need is one neighbor to call the sate DEP and they will decide what you're doing for you. Find better septic contractors.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Motronic posted:

You system is not properly functional, what the gently caress are those people saying?

If you have periods where your leech field is too wet to work you have two options: the long term one where you put in a new leech field. In your case likely a sand mound. And/or you put in a storage tank that you can switch over to when the leech field is too wet to work properly and get it pumped as needed.

All you need is one neighbor to call the sate DEP and they will decide what you're doing for you. Find better septic contractors.
We had a historically high rainfall at a rapid rate, so these are very unusual conditions. Never had this issue before. About half of the neighborhood has the same problem currently.

Will make some calls and ask more directly about these options, but would appreciate any immediate band-aid solutions for the smell part too.

edit: for example we've had 40in of rain in the past 4 months. The same period in the last 3 years was between 8 to 12 in. It's a declared disaster zone.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 18, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mega dy posted:

would appreciate any immediate band-aid solutions for the smell part too.

You need to have your septic tank pumped. And continue to pump it before it overflows to the field until your leech field can process effluent.

There is no band aid for the smell. The smell is the least of your problems. Think more like: https://www.in.gov/health/eph/onsite-sewage-systems-program/diseases-involving-sewage/

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mega dy posted:

edit: for example we've had 40in of rain in the past 4 months. The same period in the last 3 years was between 8 to 12 in. It's a declared disaster zone.
Call Nestle, problem solved.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is Axe body spray sold by the gallon?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Update on the induction range chat from a while ago: my double oven GE Cafe slide in was delivered exactly when GE said it would be. And it owns so, so, so hard.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mistake number 1 on the deck build -- buying a $100 Chinese laser level for outdoor use.

It showed up and it's fine, but absolutely worthless outside, in the shade.

Is there a sub-$400 alternative that will work?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Night time construction

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lasers are hard in the sun regardless. Either do all the layout at night or get an auto level laser with the receiver to match. It does look like there are some receivers that may work with any laser though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Supposedly the ones with green lasers work better outside???

This reminds me that I was gonna buy a laser level for my kitchen reno project. What kind did you get meatpimp so I can know not to buy it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I assume laser levels let you get more or less arbitrarily close to perfectly level...how close to level can you get with a taut string line and a 4' bubble level? Say you're trying to mark level along a 20' edge.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sirotan posted:

Supposedly the ones with green lasers work better outside???

This reminds me that I was gonna buy a laser level for my kitchen reno project. What kind did you get meatpimp so I can know not to buy it?

I got one of the many nearly identical ones with three spinny lazers. Honestly, inside it would be fine, but it specifically said for outdoor use ( and I know lasers suck in sunlight, but this is on the North side of the house and almost continually shaded...

I assume laser levels let you get more or less arbitrarily close to perfectly level...how close to level can you get with a taut string line and a 4' bubble level? Say you're trying to mark level along a 20' edge.

I imagine an old fashioned string is going to get you more than adequate, but I've learned to rely on lasers for a lot of layout, both vertical and horizontal. Even the cheap auto leveling laser crosses are very handy if they're all you have access to. With this project, I want the posts to be dead-nuts on, so vertical lasering is going to be a thing, somehow.

Looks like spending several hundred gets some that can work outdoors... I'll keep digging.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rent one if you only need it for a day/few hours?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im debating trying to make my own back yard deck. It'd be the biggest project I've ever undertaken, I consider myself only moderately handy.

The biggest thing is that between buying tools needed ( I really just want a miter saw), and retail material cost, I think I wouldnt be that far off from paying someone to do it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

I got one of the many nearly identical ones with three spinny lazers. Honestly, inside it would be fine, but it specifically said for outdoor use ( and I know lasers suck in sunlight, but this is on the North side of the house and almost continually shaded...

I imagine an old fashioned string is going to get you more than adequate, but I've learned to rely on lasers for a lot of layout, both vertical and horizontal. Even the cheap auto leveling laser crosses are very handy if they're all you have access to. With this project, I want the posts to be dead-nuts on, so vertical lasering is going to be a thing, somehow.

Looks like spending several hundred gets some that can work outdoors... I'll keep digging.

Can you link what you got specifically?

I've used high cost ones for basic survey and elevation marking and they always have a receiver to clamp onto a rod for measurement. I've never been able to see the laser outdoor and I can't remember if I ever have seen it. You just go by the beeps. I wouldn't be surprised if some random jumble brand name would claim you don't need it or whatever, just curious.

Also I could use one in some upcoming projects.

For the rest of yas, the way you get accurate level measurements is with a water level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HMBZlZkqU4

Or the survey autolevel but you need a partner or do a lot of walking with a tripod.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im debating trying to make my own back yard deck. It'd be the biggest project I've ever undertaken, I consider myself only moderately handy.

The biggest thing is that between buying tools needed ( I really just want a miter saw), and retail material cost, I think I wouldnt be that far off from paying someone to do it.

The big thing you get from doing it yourself is confidence that the work was done to your standards. It can be hard to get contractors that you can rely on to do work that is up to spec. But yeah, you shouldn't generally view DIY construction as a cost-saving measure.

Having said that, a deck should be entirely within your skills. You'll need to do some reading on proper construction layouts, but the basic techniques are nothing special. Drilling, crosscuts, digging, and pouring concrete should account for most of it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

meatpimp posted:

Mistake number 1 on the deck build -- buying a $100 Chinese laser level for outdoor use.

It showed up and it's fine, but absolutely worthless outside, in the shade.

Is there a sub-$400 alternative that will work?

You have an issue with working in the dark or something?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

Can you link what you got specifically?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098SKMQ6J , but there are literally dozens that are identical, just depends on which plastic crappy accessories each "name" includes in the box.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tezer posted:

I own my home in part due to the wacky maintenance strategies of the previous owner. Thank you Jaafar, installing carpet in the kitchen glued to asbestos tile was a genius move.

lol :rackem:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The big thing you get from doing it yourself is confidence that the work was done to your standards. It can be hard to get contractors that you can rely on to do work that is up to spec. But yeah, you shouldn't generally view DIY construction as a cost-saving measure.

That’s my biggest hesitation! I don’t mind paying for the work but I want it to be done well. Nothing is more frustrating than paying for a subpar job.

I may start researching things than and seeing what I’m possibly getting myself into. My only real concerns are preventing frost heave and mounting it to the side of my house.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

meatpimp posted:

Go look on craigslist or something for a cheap 2nd hand professional quality laser. One with a receiver so you don't need to be able to see the lines in daylight.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I don't know how much of this you need to see at a time, but have you tried a target and/or glasses?

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Targets-Magnetic-Enhancing-Visibility/dp/B09F277TV3/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=laser+target&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Laser-Enhancement-Glasses-Adjustable/dp/B078NSB75S/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=laser+line+glasses&sr=8-2

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The door/window company guy I am paying to install a new patio door in my house just now:

"Do you have any drawings with dimensions that we can send to the city? Thanks."

:sigh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Permit time. Got blessed by the Township with no issue. HOA is throwing static about nonsense, but I think that's sorted.

Time for the County.

Aside from the other bureaucratic bullshit... you have to get permitting from your town and county separately? Where I'm at, if you live in an incorporated town/city/etc, their planning and permitting supercedes the county's. County permitting only has to deal with people who live in the county but outside any other municipality. The town that literally borders my property line even uses the idea of not having to drive ~1hr to the center of the county to deal with permitting as an incentive to get your neighborhood to apply for annexation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So the good news is only one of the upstairs bathrooms has a fan venting directly to the attic.

The bad news is that the other doesn't even make it that far. It just has insulation piled on top of it and nothing connected to the air outlet.

Now the fun part of trying to find someone competent who will come out and hook them both up properly through the roof.