Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BurningBeard posted:

Cheers to that. Disability rep is basically non-existent in games so I feel you.

e: like The Surge has your character in a wheelchair at the beginning, then nullifies the whole deal by putting him in an exosuit. So like okay the only way to make him worth playing is to take him out of the wheelchair? Real cool, real cool.

Whenever blind people do show up in games it’s generally patronizing. Vessels for spiritual enlightenment, badass warrior types, but never, you know, just blind people being people.

And I struggle to think of any other disabilities that are commonly even seen in games at all.

How do you feel about Wolfenstein 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No reason Rocket League had to use cars, the competitors could have been in rocket-powered wheelchairs.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The excellent manga Witch Hat Atelier has their Dumbledore-equivalent a disabled fellow of exceptional flightiness, and one of the major antagonists is a wounded kid the Witches refused to heal. The comic rules, everyone should read it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Last Celebration posted:

Just curious, are you taking about Bianca/Nera from Dragon Quest V like someone else said you might be? And if so, have you actually played it, no shade intended?

No, especially not after playing Dragon Quest Heroes. I hear they take back the queer.

Yeah yeah, I know which one came first...

But seriously without having played V, those girls are queer as gently caress in Heroes.

Regarding disability stuff, you play a dude in a wheelchair in Killer 7

credburn has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Apr 21, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think gamifying disability is something you have to be really careful about or you kinda risk implying that mental illness gives you superpowers or being disabled is just inherently awesome with no drawbacks.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never liked it in X-Men trying to equate involuntary superpowers with disenfranchised minorities. I've never heard of a bisexual person who could shoot fire out of their hands, except for that one guy from Gibraltar.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never liked it in X-Men trying to equate involuntary superpowers with disenfranchised minorities. I've never heard of a bisexual person who could shoot fire out of their hands, except for that one guy from Gibraltar.

Man I hated the X-Men cartoon as a kid. It was all depressing and sad, and racists in it kinda had a point because mutants are actively dangerous. And then they had the mutants actively terrorizing everyone. And the good guys were like "Superpowers don't kill people, people kill people" so you have to have a good guy with machine gun arms to stop a bad guy with laser breath... It was so convoluted and Wolverine looked goddamn stupid. Man...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought the X-Men cartoon was kind of boring as a kid but that theme song is an all-timer.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Hel posted:

Just put a rollcage on the wheelchair and the dodgerolls will be exactly as realistic as they are in a normal souls-game.
Wheelchair with a rollcage sounds rad as hell, I want to see this now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Severed Steel is an interesting example of a game where the main character has a disability. Because she only has one forearm she can only hold weapons in one hand and cannot reload, however she also has absurd agility and the ability to slow her perception of time to a crawl allowing her to do all kinds of crazy stunts. She also gets a plasma grenade launcher for an arm later on, but that still doesn't help her with the fact she can only use one hand.

Tombot has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Apr 21, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

BAFTA award-winning Rollerdrome but you're in the safety caged warchair instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Morbidly curious as to a how a soulslike combat model would work where the player is in a wheelchair.

There's no reason (beyond dev effort of course) that our fantasy worlds can't be wheelchair-accessible. I mean, sure, people would complain about it, but they don't complain about walking around with an eight-foot-long sword or doing dodge rolls in full plate, so gently caress 'em.

I bet it'd do a lot for disability advocates if a popular game had you play as an abled person and a disabled person in the same spaces, highlighting how important the changes we make to our world in the name of accessibility are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone pointed out that the X-men thing of 'people with superpowers as an oppressed minority' is unfortunately fitting in a way given pretty much every bigot DOES treat minorities as if they have terrifying superpowers anyway- black people, queer people, the neurodivergent, foreigners, Muslims and Jews, all have some horrible enduring supposed powers, privileges or just inherent ability to present a supposed danger that a 'normal person' doesn't. Also that anti-mutant bigots almost universally have zero regard for the safety or survival of the people and society they're supposedly protecting.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vic posted:

The disability as a game mechanic has so much untapped potential too. I remember playing Prince of Persia on a grayscale monitor and the colors of poison potion and health potion were basically an indistinguishable shade of grey. I thought it's neat you have to pay extra attention to what you drink. When we got a color monitor I realized they are very brightly colored red blue green and was a little disappointed.

Now I'm imagining like someone telling a colorblind main character to not eat red berries because they are super poisonous but to them they are all the same color.

My favorite little thing is when games provide a color blind option for name tags. I'm slightly red-green colorblind and it's enough to where it takes a second for me to figure out if it's an enemy I'm aiming at or not.

So the option to turn tags different colors is appreciated.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

I've posted it in this thread before I think, but a guy I know is deaf in one ear and had a whole wall of text about the use of ASL in Spiderman, this was the video he started with

https://twitter.com/7Spideycomics/status/1324729061290217473?t=_c17LEiTGm6kjMMNCS4zog&s=19

Screenshots because it's a lot of individual discord messages and my phone didn't want to just copy everything at once

The point about subtitles sticks out to me. I feel like there's loads of media that use other languages, untranslated/subtitled as a way to obfuscate information or to intentionally alienate the audience, but all I've ever heard about it is surface level "I knew what was going on the whole time because I know <x> :smug:" stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are you telling me that The Quiet Man isn't a landmark in depicting disability in a videogame? It's actually garbage?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Len posted:

I've posted it in this thread before I think, but a guy I know is deaf in one ear and had a whole wall of text about the use of ASL in Spiderman, this was the video he started with

https://twitter.com/7Spideycomics/status/1324729061290217473?t=_c17LEiTGm6kjMMNCS4zog&s=19

Insomniac truly does seem to give a drat. Along with Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, they have also been doing impressive stuff with accessibility features.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tombot posted:

Severed Steel is an interesting example of a game where the main character has a disability. Because she only has one forearm she can only hold weapons in one hand and cannot reload, however she also has absurd agility and the ability to slow her perception of time to a crawl allowing her to do all kinds of crazy stunts. She also gets a plasma grenade launcher for an arm later on, but that still doesn't help her with the fact she can only use one hand.

Does Endoparasitic count? The start of the game is your dude having both his legs and an arm ripped off so you drag yourself around and do everything with only a single arm.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'm not sure why you are asking me specifically, but yes I would say it does. Probably aren't any better examples really.

Tombot has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Apr 21, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked the beginning of Wolfenstein TNC where you’re wheeling yourself around in a wheelchair with one hand while shooting nazis with the other

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sign language actually would be a very good thing for a superhero to learn, among other languages, so as to communicate with all the people you might have to save. Superman taught himself every language on Earth way back when for that reason.

Speaking of, little things in movies; in Spider-verse, the Scorpion has dialogue in Spanish given English translation in little comic book style boxes- which may be representing Miles' understanding them through the stylised medium, since he knows Spanish.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Lobok posted:

Insomniac truly does seem to give a drat. Along with Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, they have also been doing impressive stuff with accessibility features.

TBH Santa Monica did a pretty poor job on Ragnarok. They put in a wide variety of features, many of which were very half-baked. But the press/non-disabled people aren’t going to know the difference so they’ll probably still get the good PR for it.

Naughty Dog is currently the gold standard, but Street Fighter 6 and Diablo IV are doing some wild and innovative accessibility stuff, and are creating some very smart design that provides access while never impacting difficulty in the first place, which is all people looking for accessibility options really wanted. I’ve bitched about this in other places, but whichever rear end in a top hat game journalist misused the term accessibility when what they wanted was an easy mode for Sekiro really hosed up the entire conversation around it for those of us that actually use these kinds of options in practical situations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BurningBeard posted:

TBH Santa Monica did a pretty poor job on Ragnarok. They put in a wide variety of features, many of which were very half-baked. But the press/non-disabled people aren’t going to know the difference so they’ll probably still get the good PR for it.

Ah well that sucks. I didn't use them for Ragnarok the way I did for Miles Morales but I saw a lot of similar things listed in the menu and just assumed.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Lobok posted:

Ah well that sucks. I didn't use them for Ragnarok the way I did for Miles Morales but I saw a lot of similar things listed in the menu and just assumed.

Yeah this isn’t me calling you out. It’s just that that’s what I thought of when I made that initial post about diversity usually just being box ticking. Accessibility is in an interesting place right now where there is no codified standard. So developers are home rolling solutions to varying degrees of success. But I feel like as a disabled person I should probably call out the developers who do it poorly because this stage of progress for it is really important, since whatever standards come out in the wash will stick for a long while.

I swear the person who builds a middleware option will make loving bank though. It’s not better than designing options for the game itself from scratch, but the developers who care would’ve done that anyway. Middleware would at least insure a baseline of quality even when devs hacksaw the stuff in carelessly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Before accessibility/diversity there weren’t even boxes to tick! Stop complaining!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To your point about the Sekiro difficulty-accessibility confusion, I also think labelling all these options as "accessibility" does them a disservice. I use the shader options in Rift Apart for crates and Raritanium not because I have any vision impairment but because I just prefer not to pixel hunt for that kind of stuff. There's an option to bind 50% game speed to a shortcut and I was only toggling it on & off in combat to add some slow-mo style.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Before accessibility/diversity there weren’t even boxes to tick! Stop complaining!!

Nah.

Lobok posted:

To your point about the Sekiro difficulty-accessibility confusion, I also think labelling all these options as "accessibility" does them a disservice. I use the shader options in Rift Apart for crates and Raritanium not because I have any vision impairment but because I just prefer not to pixel hunt for that kind of stuff. There's an option to bind 50% game speed to a shortcut and I was only toggling it on & off in combat to add some slow-mo style.

Yeah when people break out of their boxes and get imaginative, what you find is a lot of options have wide applications beyond helping out players with difficulties. I’m really glad we are seeing some innovative and interesting stuff come out of this and it’s only going to get better.

unattended spaghetti has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Apr 21, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Back in my day video game protagonists were muscled men with guns or women with big boobs (also with guns), subtitles weren't invented and if you wanted to change the controls you were a communist and by gum we liked it

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Morpheus posted:

Back in my day video game protagonists were short mustachioed men with overalls or anthropomorphized garden mammals, subtitles weren't invented and if you wanted the princess to be where you expected you were a communist and by gum we liked it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vic posted:

Man I hated the X-Men cartoon as a kid. It was all depressing and sad, and racists in it kinda had a point because mutants are actively dangerous. And then they had the mutants actively terrorizing everyone. And the good guys were like "Superpowers don't kill people, people kill people" so you have to have a good guy with machine gun arms to stop a bad guy with laser breath... It was so convoluted and Wolverine looked goddamn stupid. Man...

God that reminds me of one issue where basically some teenager developed a mutation that basically killed everyone around him with some variety of radiation. It was completely involuntary and could only helplessly watch as he basically melted a town in a matter of minutes. The "solution" to that was for the X-Men to send in Wolverine to mercy-kill him.

Like Jesus Christ, way to muddle your own message there :catstare:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Perestroika posted:

God that reminds me of one issue where basically some teenager developed a mutation that basically killed everyone around him with some variety of radiation. It was completely involuntary and could only helplessly watch as he basically melted a town in a matter of minutes. The "solution" to that was for the X-Men to send in Wolverine to mercy-kill him.

Tbf that was Ultimate X-men

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Perestroika posted:

I think it was something organic that he produced, since there is actually a mutant that produces high amounts of radiation but they put them in a radiation suit and they're totally fine to fight with the rest of the X-Men.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Opopanax posted:

Tbf that was Ultimate X-men

it has been forever since i read Ultimate Xmen but i remember Ultimate Avengers was basically supposed to be "The Avengers but Worse". Ultimate Xmen had some good moments but was also in many ways just "Xmen but Worse"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a real soft spot for the Ultimate Universe but there is some very 2000s stuff there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah that was, uh, pretty hosed up

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How did that whole ultimate universe end anyway? With cannibalism? Definitely edgelord poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

How did that whole ultimate universe end anyway? With cannibalism? Definitely edgelord poo poo.

Not with a bang, but with a wet fart.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They gave Jeph Loeb freedom to basically murder anyone he wanted to in the most graphic ways possible because they planned on ending the whole thing anyway. Then they didn't end it and oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Technically it ended in the lead up to secret wars but it was way more of a 616 story. There is a big Ultimate war coming but it's by Hickman so it should be good