Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Oh no, not social media!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

https://twitter.com/bankofcanada/status/1559167611950301184

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

is this from the FT

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Maybe if companies stopped price gouging people would stop expecting higher inflation.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i could count at least 5 things bad on that tweet

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Just openly admitting that paying attention to reality would damage the intended narrative.

It worked for them with COVID why not for inflation too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is this from the FT

Font and background color suggests yes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe if companies stopped price gouging people would stop expecting higher inflation.

Why do you hate America?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Man its crazy how people expecting companies to raise prices forces them to raise prices. I guess thats why we leave the real thinking up to economists.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

is this from the FT

yeah. https://www.ft.com/content/0ebcf348-a664-442c-9311-5443e2d80f53
FT recently actually had a good article though on how companies have been the ones responsible for inflation, lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Acelerion posted:

Man its crazy how people expecting companies to raise prices forces them to raise prices. I guess thats why we leave the real thinking up to economists.

the absolute absurdity of the entire structure and enterprise of corporate economies should become immediately apparent to anyone who has worked in Business Doing on the budgeting or finance side for more than one year. I guess if you somehow don't learn anything from your first go-round then you could push it to like 18 months.

as soon as you hear some upjumped MBA type with cufflinks say "But you grew by X this year, so next year your target is based on that." it should be curtains for anyone's faith/belief.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Thread title

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can't post this and not link the article

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
someone asked Hoot once to change the thread title and he lost his mind :waycool:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That doesn’t seem sad at all, actually. Seems pretty awesome.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

timer for lazy computer touchers to do their jobs!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Making people more militant about seeking pay raises you say.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Thoguh posted:

That doesn’t seem sad at all, actually. Seems pretty awesome.

nnt is somehow one of the greatest statisticians and one of the stupidest people in the world at the same time

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i wish people would stop saying computer toucher

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

as a computer toucher, i'm okay with it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zodium posted:

nnt is somehow one of the greatest statisticians and one of the stupidest people in the world at the same time

This is true. He is a pompous rear end

He also loves squid ink.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im also fine with it. I touch computers to fix them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/mayavada/status/1649111795880325121

quote:

Pop-ups get a three-month lease to operate at the property with free rent, along with a grant of up to $8,000 for any relevant expenses. Those hosting the pop-up out of their commercial space will get a $5,000 grant from the city.

The grants are funded with $710,000 from the Office of Economic and Workforce Development, which is running the program alongside nonprofit SF New Deal.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've thought about asking some of the empty business spaces near where i live if i could just like display my art to sell it in their spaces but my gut feeling has always been they'd shut me down super hard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol subsidizing landlords. Just seize these properties and       the landlords if they complain. Cucked rear end country.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Poor investors :(

Mr Hootington posted:

Thread title

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is this from the FT

also thread title

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

so these social media companies implode when they go public because they have to clean up for the payment processors. this has happened a few times. it’s really predictable. why don’t they just make their own sex tolerant payment processor?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

okay, so this proves that the elite are reptilian

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The real solution is a steep vacancy tax, but we know taxes are tantamount to evil and Number will get a sad.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

if they lower rents they can’t get those revolving loans. they absolutely will not lower rents until they are going to go bankrupt and maybe not even then.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol subsidizing landlords. Just seize these properties and       the landlords if they complain. Cucked rear end country.

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

out of a cannon into the sun

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if they lower rents they can’t get those revolving loans. they absolutely will not lower rents until they are going to go bankrupt and maybe not even then.

correct. high rents are what defines their networth/assets and loans, and if they have vacant "high-rent" units, they can write that off as losses to offset other gains (i.e. money laundering, stocks). there's never going to be a decrease in corporate rents

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I am maximizing my value today. I am focusing all my energy on maximizing my value. I cost a lot. I have a high net worth. I am made out of pure economic energy.

cruelty squad was a documentary

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Protagonist posted:

cruelty squad was a documentary

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

correct. high rents are what defines their networth/assets and loans, and if they have vacant "high-rent" units, they can write that off as losses to offset other gains (i.e. money laundering, stocks). there's never going to be a decrease in corporate rents

in my head I went well when they go bankrupt…

but then I thought well the new owner will just take out the same loans to finance the acquisition of the property.

so there basically has to be a wide collapse for anything to change.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah we're too far gone beyond the event horizon that no amount of liberal economics 101-rear end 'free market forces' is going to rationalize landlordism back to 'reality'. it's not going to happen

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

yeah we're too far gone beyond the event horizon that no amount of liberal economics 101-rear end 'free market forces' is going to rationalize landlordism back to 'reality'. it's not going to happen

it's like trying to suggest sacrifice to fight climate change or point out that people shouldn't have to work to survive or that maybe some things should be free and we would be better off if they were

Changes in those areas are going to be generational. It will take everyone born before 1980 dying for some of these things to get broad support in the population much less any hope of them ever being realized by a government agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Zokari posted:

i wish people would stop saying computer toucher

Make me.