Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
god bless the ijn yamato

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

i think i'm with you - i love parts of it and hate other parts, the second episode had more of the weird creative poo poo i enjoy about the show and the third episode had more of the attempts at low-brow humor that just fall totally flat for me.

also, look up itasha for a fun time

pouring one out for cringemobile driver guy

they weirdly came up in my weeb friend group a few days ago because one of them saw an idolmaster wrap in the flesh. sadly i'm just one of these harmless otakus currently

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Magical Destroyers has enough fun stuff like the extended sequence of the giant robot being painstakingly assembled from giant sprues by giant robot hands to keep me interested.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Sindai posted:

Magical Destroyers has enough fun stuff like the extended sequence of the giant robot being painstakingly assembled from giant sprues by giant robot hands to keep me interested.

This is actually the part of the episode that bothered me, but it's like idk how seriously I should expect MGD to even treat this stuff to warrant caring about it. The SSC stand in opposition to otaku and so probably shouldn't have their new weapon launching in an Eva kitbash sequence. The episode gives us mitigating factors of their force being partially made of brainwashed otaku (and Slayer is also a magical girl) but there's a part of it that feels like the creators shallowly indulging an aesthetic.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also people think the twist and wild plot is the crazy part of Birdie Wing when the actually real wild and innovative part is the fact Eve is the lead character of the series.
i enjoyed that in the last couple of eps, not only does Eve recover her lost/suppressed memories through perfroming special golf swings, she gets her real name and the entirety of her childhood - a home, parents who loved her, their tragic deaths - flooding back to her all at once, the kind of thing that usually causes a character to suffer a complete breakdown and lose their sense of self for an episode or two while they come to terms with it, and she spends about 10 seconds going WHOAAHHH!! and then just carries on with the golf tournament while telling people 'hey guess what? I got my memories back. pretty cool, huh? :haw:'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well that's what the show runner does so I'm not surprised.

Watching Too Cute Crisis and it was interesting to see the two subordinate aliens having different but still over the top reactions to cute things. The horned one needs to learn to chill and three eyes needs to find out if allergy meds work on aliens if they're going to continue existing on Earth.

The IRL pet photos remain the highlight of the ED.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
lol @ the female ninja in Hell's Paradise this week

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well since it now has 4 episodes and is out of the prologue section of the story, I'm gonna write one of those big sincere effortposts about one that I think deserves it, 'cus it's one of my all-time favorite series. I've re-read it time and again I don't know how many times, and it always puts me in a good mood. It's The Dangers in My Heart. I won't go into overt spoilers, but the post does go slightly into the dynamics of our two leads' relationship which hasn't become quite apparent yet.

First, to get some trivia and accolades out of the way. Sakurai Norio, the mangaka, started up The Dangers in My Heart/Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu (henceforth Bokuyaba) back in 2018, and she releases a new chapter of about 10-12 pages about once every two weeks. It currently has 118 chapters (the first three episodes covered volume 1, chapters 1-15, and episode 4 covered 16-20). It's been nominated for and won a handful of awards. It's also sitting at a 9.2 rating on Mangadex for what that's worth!

I've sat here for some ten-twenty minutes, trying to figure out how to begin writing. So I'll start simple, and work from there: I love this series. I adore it. The writing is clever and the story is clearly well thought-out in advance, with tons of subtle details, foreshadowing, and callbacks. It’s not as immediately soft and approachable (or family friendly) as some of the other heavy hitters this season (Skiploaf, Insomniacs, etc.), but it has a quality all its own. It has some of the strongest pacing I've seen in a romcom; every chapter is a step forward in the two leads coming to understand one another, and the manga takes neither shortcuts nor detours in getting to where it's going. It's not fast, and it's not slow – it is consistent and constant.

Back in my teens I was haunting some manga discussion forums, and I read a post that for some reason has stuck around in the back of my mind ever since: a manga focused on romance is only as good as its two leads. I don't know about that, but what I do know is that the pair of Yamada and Ichikawa make up my favorite duo in any romcom I've read. The story is completely devoted to exploring their dynamic and their growing relationship, and no chapter is spent in which the characters don't get anything new. Whether that is insight into the other person or themselves, a revelation about the consequences of their own behavior, courage to take an action they wouldn't have previously, or simply growing more intimate, Ichikawa and Yamada are constantly in motion. This also means, compared to a series like Skiploaf which is more slice of life, there's a lot less focus on side characters. They exist and have their own things going on and some of them are great (like Ichikawa's sister, introduced in episode 4), but so far there's never been a story arc that focuses on anyone else's issues.

Speaking of their dynamic, Volume 1 (episodes 1-3) I would define as the part of the story where the two of them need a reason to talk to each other. Their interactions have been driven by chance and circumstance - they talked with each other because the situations they were placed in made them talk to each other. Starting from episode 4, that has changed because of the insight Yamada has gained regarding Ichikawa as a person and her desire to learn more about him. And since the best parts of the story are whenever Ichikawa and Yamada are interacting, that's also when I think the story really starts to become what it is actually about. The manga only gets better as it goes along because of this.

Before I talk about our main character, Ichikawa, I want to talk about Yamada, and to do that, I need to first talk about what I think is one of the most defining features of Bokuyaba as a story: it is completely and entirely from Ichikawa's point of view and reference. This is what Sakurai had to say in an interview (available here):

quote:

ANN: I think the fun of the manga is that it captures the awkwardness of a teenage boy's first love. While I was reading, I was thinking, “Ichikawa is a tsundere!” As the creator, were there times when you related to Ichikawa's feelings?

SAKURAI: Right. I came up with the basics of Ichikawa's character by imagining what I would do in his position. Generally, I try not to distance myself from Ichikawa. The story wouldn't work if I'm not always able to empathize with him, since it's a story that develops through his perspective. I'm always thinking about that when I'm drawing.
The story is written with the idea of Ichikawa as a kind of self-insert for her. Every narration box and thought bubble is from Ichikawa. There is no guiding, otherworldly narrator to explain how any other character is truly feeling about any situation, and since Ichikawa's teenage angst and a chūni-isms influence his thoughts, that also makes him an unreliable and biased source of information. He might say or (over)think one thing, but we can tell how he really feels through his actions, which requires the reader to be an active participant and read between the lines (for example, how one of his first thoughts in the anime is "I want to see her beautiful face writhing in pain", and then the two times later in the episode she's distressed or upset, he immediately throws himself into trying to help her out).

That is precisely what makes Yamada such a fun and interesting character, because she works exactly the same way, only we don't get to see even a glimpse of her inner thoughts. One of the most fun things about this story and what makes it so good for re-reads is trying to follow along with and infer Yamada's feelings based on her expressions, body language and background details. The more you learn about Yamada, the more you can put her previous actions into a new context and can start to see how the story plays out from her perspective. She's very expressive, but you never know exactly what is going through her or anyone else’s head - that's the whole point the story’s trying to make. Despite this, it's clear that Sakurai is always well aware of Yamada's emotional state and the thoughts and reasons behind her actions, even if she doesn’t write it down for the reader. Yamada isn't the brightest bulb in the shed, and she doesn't always do the right thing, but she's clever and insightful in her own way, has her own wants and desires, and carries her own emotional complexities and insecurities with her, much like Ichikawa (even if she is, by heart, a bright and positive person).

That brings us to the main character, the awkward gremlin boy Ichikawa. I was reading some Japanese comments regarding the series when I stumbled onto one in particular that loosely translates into: "I think I only truly understood Bokuyaba once I realized Ichikawa is cuter than Yamada". And, yeah. He is. He’s great. He's kind, intelligent, selfless, empathetic, and cute. He's also a neurotic, socially anxious wreck going through puberty who judges people unfairly and is desperately hiding in his own head and deluding himself with fantasies of what he's "really like" beneath the surface, that he has a thing that makes him unique and special that no one else can see - because if he doesn't have that, he is unable to believe he has anything. His "murderous fantasies" are just that, fantasies - a chūnibyō defense mechanism to let him get through the day. In truth, he would never actually hurt anyone, as can clearly be seen at the end of episode 1, where he's given a prime opportunity to actually injure someone who really maybe kinda deserved it, but doesn't do it. Over the first three episodes, we’re stuck in his head so much and he’s so shy, his actual verbal dialogue only occupies about three minutes of runtime. In the third episode, he stammers out one sentence, and everything else is just “thanks”, “yes”, and “here”. It’s only now in the fourth episode when Yamada starts actively trying to find out more about him that an actual dialogue between the two is able to start and the seeds of their dynamic, planted and rooted in the first three episodes, can start to grow. Ichikawa's even able to make fun of her out loud.

The story begins, intentionally so, at a very awkward point in Ichikawa's life–puberty. When you and the people around you are cringy and annoying. His voice hasn’t even broken yet.

quote:

ANN: And that “chūnibyō” is also expressed in the title of the work. Is that right?

SAKURAI: Yes, it's about chūnibyō, as well as the turbulence of the adolescent heart. It's about how that “illness” of sorts changes and gets cleansed over time. There are a lot of different meanings expressed in the Japanese title, Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu. Feelings of love are bundled in the adolescent heart, along with uncertainties and ambivalence. It's that feeling of not knowing what you're wading into.

ANN: Oh, is that so? The English title made me think it was about murderous desire.

SAKURAI: Really? Hmm, how do I explain it? I suppose it's that feeling of not being able to explain it. Like there's a fog inside of you. Moyamoya, as we'd say in Japanese. That's what the Yabai Yatsu (translated as “Dangers” in English) in the heart can also mean.
It's because of this messiness, not despite it, that his growth into a stronger person is so satisfying. Ichikawa and Yamada's dynamic is refreshing in how healthy their friendship is for the both of them. It’s sincere and emotionally vulnerable, it takes the time it needs to, and it's shown, not told. It's a story that asks Ichikawa and the reader to look past superficial first impressions and judgements. It's a story about how difficult it is to come to love oneself. It’s really sweet and cute and honest, and I like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nphl632Nw

https://twitter.com/harumaco_bgl/status/1648287004495581186
Tl;dr: soft emo boy grows up in entertaining and well-written story

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I read this entire wall of text, good post.

My comment on the show as of episode 4 is that it may give you diabetes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My Clueless First Friend ep 4 breaks from the pattern of the first few episodes to deliver something nice and heartfelt. Starting to think this Takada boy isn't actually clueless at all!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

My comment on the show as of episode 4 is that it may give you diabetes.

Thanks :) I could write a whole bunch more for each episode but that's best saved for later. The adaptation so far has been good, I don't agree with every choice they've made but they got Kensuke Ushio to do the music so I can't complain

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Don't do this to me man, I'm already watching too many drat shows!!!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
magical destroyers transcends 'good' and 'bad.' it feels like if someone dragged my 16 year old self's psyche out of the sea of my subconscious and put its whole rear end out on display. It radically accepts its own bullshit and corner-cutting in a way that is frankly inspirational.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cephas posted:

magical destroyers transcends 'good' and 'bad.' it feels like if someone dragged my 16 year old self's psyche out of the sea of my subconscious and put its whole rear end out on display. It radically accepts its own bullshit and corner-cutting in a way that is frankly inspirational.

The original creator of the elements in it is 23 iirc so their 16yo self isn't all that long ago.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

cave emperor posted:

Between Jigokuraku and Tengoku Daimakyo this has been a banner week for fans of fish with arms.

And there's another one on this week's Demon Slayer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Bokuyaba resonates with a lot of people because they remember being (or still are) small, socially underdeveloped, and cringe and probably using similar defense mechanisms as Ichikawa to deal with that, only without the wish fulfilment aspect of someone showing an interest in you. It's if nothing else a really accurate portrayal of that period of life for many.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Okay, sold, I will give Bokuyabai a try.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's funny in a kind of unorthodox way so it's good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Indiana_Krom posted:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Sleng Teng posted:

Don't do this to me man, I'm already watching too many drat shows!!!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Indiana_Krom posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; wrong thread

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

World Dai Star pulling a reverse twist with the girl that one of the leads, Kokona, being only able to be seen by here so we all think is a ghost or something which was a twist episode one...but ends up appearing on stage this episode and is visable to everyone in this episode . It caught my interest so I'm willing to keep going when it sorta of felt like it'd be just there before

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Most people are spending their season enjoying the dramatic excess of Birdie Wing and Oshi no Ko's lavishly-produced examination of the entertainment industry, while I watch both of those and World Dai Star's fusion of shonen sports superpowers and stage acting.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haypliss posted:

Most people are spending their season enjoying the dramatic excess of Birdie Wing and Oshi no Ko's lavishly-produced examination of the entertainment industry, while I watch both of those and World Dai Star's fusion of shonen sports superpowers and stage acting.

more shows need to understand that shounen sports superpowers are a value add to whatever's going on

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i wish someone was properly subbing the tousouchuu anime it seems fun

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

haypliss posted:

But none of those have the glory that are FROG TANKS!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Didn't know that Satou was the character designer for lvl 999 Yamada-kun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Long neck

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Best Jeanist's nephew, Best Gamer

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Didn't know that Satou was the character designer for lvl 999 Yamada-kun.

looking forward to the The Fragrant Flower Blooms With Dignity adaptation

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Terper posted:

looking forward to the The Fragrant Flower Blooms With Dignity adaptation

They're just Looooooooooooooong Loooooooooooooooooooooooong Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a coworker told me i should watch dead mount death play, has anyone here checked it out?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I just remember checking the first couple of chapters of the manga. It's edgelordism incarnate (literally, I guess :v:) with all that entails. If that does it for you, knock yourself out.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

a coworker told me i should watch dead mount death play, has anyone here checked it out?

if you've already seen baccano and durarara and want more stuff by that author, then sure. it's not getting as good an anime treatment as those did but it's starting to scratch that itch now that it's past the intro stuff and introducing the wider cast

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

if you've already seen baccano and durarara and want more stuff by that author, then sure. it's not getting as good an anime treatment as those did but it's starting to scratch that itch now that it's past the intro stuff and introducing the wider cast

Oh it's that dude? Sick, sold

SexyBlindfold posted:

I just remember checking the first couple of chapters of the manga. It's edgelordism incarnate (literally, I guess :v:) with all that entails. If that does it for you, knock yourself out.

Double sold!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCDNSg-Pjz8

Dub sounds decent on this one and the clips I've watched so far feel nice and fluffy. Maybe I'll give it a shot to counteract the weekly anxiety attacks that G Witch is giving me.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i think insomniacs after school was already my favorite romance this season and now that they're setting up astrophotography yuru camp as a major plot thread i am even more excited to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think Tengoku-Daimakyo is losing me, it's half good(the road trip part) and half bad(the weird hospital/school). Current season is filled with stuff so maybe I'll restart it once it finishes if the next season is less interesting.