Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Flair posted:

Unless I missed something, why would Kuzan choose to be with Blackbeard out of all the pirates? What alignment of interests would they have together? Does he have a secret agenda? Based on his past and personality, Luffy's crew is probably the most inviting out of all the pirates.

Blackbeard was the first one to ask, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kuzan's probably rationalizing it as "this is a good way to fight back against Sakazuki", mostly ignoring how Teach and his pals are just a different breed of psycho to Sakazuki.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I suppose Kuzan's plan is to help any pirate find the One Piece and figure out why the WG is so against people doing so.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BB's just a fun guy to hang out with tbh.

After a night partying with this guy anyone would be wanting to join his crew.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kuzan and BB have the same opinion on pie.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Flair posted:

Unless I missed something, why would Kuzan choose to be with Blackbeard out of all the pirates? What alignment of interests would they have together? Does he have a secret agenda? Based on his past and personality, Luffy's crew is probably the most inviting out of all the pirates.

Well Blackbeard is the guy who asked him

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

"The only thing Pirates need is an alignment of interests. You're a free man, what do you want, Kuzan?"

Fade to Kuzan fighting Garp to keep Koby imprisoned for Blackbeard. Is this really what you wanted Kuzan? Are you really free?

Blackbeard's an interesting character. I feel like Kuzan must want power, in some capacity, for some reason. Presumably to oppose the World Government. One might wonder why he joined with Blackbeard and not like... Luffy or Shanks or someone who's powerful but also got a semblance of a moral compass. And I think it's because Blackbeard offers the most freedom- freedom even from the bonds of friendship. Kuzan doesn't want friends. He had that, and the memory is still painful for him. He just wants comrades, and that's exactly what Blackberad is offering. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course he's immediately thrust into conflict with his former comrades, so how's that emotional distance working out for you now, Kuzan?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if hes gonna betray blackbeard i have to imagine he joined because hes the person who would be the most disastrous pirate king.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

should've joined the cross guild, he could've been the second most lively one

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

if hes gonna betray blackbeard i have to imagine he joined because hes the person who would be the most disastrous pirate king.
I feel like the betrayal plan was the obvious default reason for him teaming up with Blackbeard until this chapter. Now I think it would be a bit emotionally weak if he was just trying to take out Blackbeard and was simply lying.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

should've joined the cross guild, he could've been the second most lively one
Cross Guild isn't going for the One Piece (yet). I imagine Kuzan is interesting in how terrified the World Government is of it.

Though Kuzan in Cross Guild would be really funny to see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unlike akainu, kuzan has never seemed to be all that concerned about pirates. he's always been more worried about the problems with the wg. he spent his time as a marine being sort of wishy washy and only taking action in secret. i suspect that he was deliberately biding his time until he could become the fleet admiral and enact his plans. but then it came down to a duel with akainu, which he lost. whatever kuzan's plans were, they are done.

so, i don't buy that he's secretly working for akainu. maybe he's still trying to support the marines in his own way, but it's definitely not a formal arrangement.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Hibari really is related to Akainu then Kuzan is being hilariously petty by only freezing her.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think either Kuzan is a double agent, or things are exactly as they appear to be: Kuzan is in emotional turmoil, unsure of what he wants, but only knowing for sure that he doesn't want his freedom impeded like it was for his whole Marine career. That's why he mentions admiring Garp's sense of freedom, and Garp chastising Kuzan for being so wishy-washy right now.

His fruit is interesting because he should be able to OHKO most folk, but he's still not really using it lethally it seems. So I wouldn't be surprised if Garp calls out that he's still holding back.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wow Sulong Bepo is massive. His paw alone is the same size as BB.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

blackbeard saying they could "sell" the op-op fruit is interesting. makes me think however they're extracting devil fruit powers involves, you know, rematerialising the fruit.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Blackbeard carries a fruit basket wherever he goes, that's his secret

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

hatty posted:

Blackbeard carries a fruit basket wherever he goes, that's his secret

The idea that Blackbeard covered up what he was doing with Whitebeard because he actually has a plant that grows every kind of fruit that he's using to extract Devil Fruit would actually be kind of amazing. Maybe they're all the size of cherries.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Devil Fruit gummy

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Terper posted:

The poster marked by probes...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just let kuzan actually be on some level loyal to blackbeard without being some undercover agent or whatever. That idea has been around since we learned he joined with blackbeard and its boring. Let him be his own man making a bad decision wholeheartedly

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : comparison was clunky, withdrawn

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

People also forget that a key characteristic of Kuzan is laziness, and being, heh, chill.

I can absolutely see him just joining up with the first name big pirate crew he meets because they bought him some beer and he knows it'll piss off his old shithead boss.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I think he's got a bit more going on than that, but it's definitely on his own agenda and not some triple agent bullshit (hopefully)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Finished Wano act 2. I’m on your tail, caught-up people.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
If y'all aren't listening to the Piece Meal podcast already, you should be!

Also, hi alexmayhem and (maybe) Dave :P

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bepowns

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So is Blackbeard's plan to become a recognized by WG King and get to Mary Geoise like he did for Impel Down? When would that even happen? the next Reverie? Is there gonna be another timeskip?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

hell yes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Useless "Craptain" Mid and Filler

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

^^ lol

Bepo the hidden supernova??

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Finished Wano act 2. I’m on your tail, caught-up people.

Three more acts to go

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Eiba posted:

. And I think it's because Blackbeard offers the most freedom- freedom even from the bonds of nakama. Kuzan doesn't want nakama. He had that, and the memory is still painful for him. He just wants nakama, and that's exactly what Blackberad is offering. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course he's immediately thrust into conflict with his former nakama, so how's that emotional distance working out for you now, Kuzan?

ftfy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It’s actually kinda crazy the marines let kuzan walk away. Why not kill him and be done with another threat?