Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

I still don't get this movie. It was really nice to see Toronto not trying to be some other city for once, and it was a compelling plot, but I really don't get the ending.

https://www.vulture.com/article/enemy-movie-ending-explained.html

I don't think there's a spoonfed explanation out there, but it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
something something turn into your own worst blah blah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Voice probably works on animals to some degree, it's whole effect is basically to bypass most of the conscious brain and slam the 'AUTHORITY' button.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Relevant to Enemy re:spiders (link is not a spoiler since it’s a real world statue that you could have know about beforehand).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I mean what are chairdogs if not dogs that have been told to “sit” while using the voice?

Edit: but seriously aren’t distrans evidence that people in that universe have commodified the science of imprinting animals?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I mean what are chairdogs if not dogs that have been told to “sit” while using the voice?

Edit: but seriously aren’t distrans evidence that people in that universe have commodified the science of imprinting animals?
Later on in the novels, it's revealed that it's not just animals that're used as distrans - and there's even a bit where a secret message is inscribed in the eye of someone (a Bene Gesserit?).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Later on in the novels, it's revealed that it's not just animals that're used as distrans - and there's even a bit where a secret message is inscribed in the eye of someone (a Bene Gesserit?).

Wha? I don’t remember this at all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Did anyone trying turning Austin Butler completely off and then back on to fix the Elvis Voice?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Did anyone trying turning Austin Butler completely off

I mean, I could give it a shot.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I had a terrible nightmare were they gave Paul a comic relief sidekick for the sequel and the war devolved into slapstick fights in the sand.

I blame Elvis.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

DeafNote posted:

I had a terrible nightmare were they gave Paul a comic relief sidekick for the sequel and the war devolved into slapstick fights in the sand.

I blame Elvis.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Josh Brolin has found a somewhat more lighthearted take on his character for the sequel.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DeafNote posted:

I blame Elvis.

Bugblatter posted:

Josh Brolin has found a somewhat more lighthearted take on his character for the sequel.

these made me reimagine the first scene introducing brolin's and Isaac's characters for a more contemporary audience

Leto: "smile, gurney..."
Gurney: "I am smiling."
L: "yeah, how about, um, not?"
G: "you're not even looking!"
L: "it's a menacing grimace. A... men-mace!"
G: "...well, that just happened."
Thufir: [sigh, shaking head] "my coworkers are imbeciles..."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
*paul looks at the camera and makes a classic paul-face*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
[record scratch just as the stoneburner blinds Paul] YOU'RE PROBABLY ALL WONDERING HOW I GOT INTO THIS MESS!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

kalel posted:

these made me reimagine the first scene introducing brolin's and Isaac's characters for a more contemporary audience

Leto: "smile, gurney..."
Gurney: "I am smiling."
L: "yeah, how about, um, not?"
G: "you're not even looking!"
L: "it's a menacing grimace. A... men-mace!"
G: "...well, that just happened."
Thufir: [sigh, shaking head] "my coworkers are imbeciles..."

[Duncan stumbles over a step and falls forward. Reaching out, he grabs hold of Lady Jessica's breasts to steady himself. After a beat, he quickly stands up straight and hurries away awkwardly]

Jessica: ...Men, am I right?
Gurney: (aside to Paul) what Duncan doesn't know is... She's no lady. She could tear him limb from limb in every type of combat known across the galaxies.
[Paul looks appropriately astonished and awed as his mother cocks her head to crack her neck. Later, he will have to rescue her from bog-standard Harkonnen mooks as she is tied up, clothes tattered and wet, having lost her memory and become emotionally unstable]

Joss Whedon's Dunc

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Bugblatter posted:

A lot of people speculate that it’s an homage to the Tarantula Wolf from The Metabarons, but I haven’t seen Villeneuve or the effects team explicitly state that it is.

Also, that comic is by Jodorowsky and uses a lot of ideas from his unmade Dune film. Like, a lot a lot.

Highly recommend Metabarons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Noam Chomsky posted:

Highly recommend Metabarons.

Same, though with the caveat that it is the second most Jodorowsky thing ever made for better and for worse (the first most is definitely another comic he did later in the same setting called The Techno Priests).

I think the spider is an homage, but maybe more like the Lion King/Kimba similarities where no one Dune effects/art person was like "let's homage this specific thing" but they just collectively arrived at that from general inspiration.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You think it's too late for Villeneuve to change it up? Because this would actually rule :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQYg76EaVac

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Kwisatz Haderach... He's white!

HE'S WHITE????

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Now I can hear the weird throat singing but it’s Elvis doing it and you can tell.

69 Body Problem
Apr 3, 2023

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1650114863530639360?t=OcxbYP4IcTWNUzMp2ZjRyA&s=19

Hmm... I wonder which scene they could possibly be talking about

it's the spice orgy

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Pretty sure there are a dozen other ways to do that and keep a PG13.

We all saw the rave thing in the Matrix. Let’s not do that again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seems like the author of the article is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, while not really justifying the claims the headline and subheadlines are making.

I imagine that even a semi-talented script writer can easily work the script to include everything but the actual bumping uglies part of the orgy.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There are some important bits around that scene, but yeah you could shift them around or just not depict a literal orgy pretty easily.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just have a bunch of hazy dreamlike images of writhing bodies and moaning faces intercut with spice consumption and plot stuff

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean they cut the banquet scene too so I'm sure they could figure out a way to get the main point across.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The metaphorical orgy is more important than the physical orgy. I want Chani getting freaked out when Paul's prescience starts leaking more than I want to see Stilgar laying pipe.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

No you see it’s vitally important to the plot that we see Timothée Chalamet’s sand-worm on screen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The banquet scene was a much bigger deal.

Did they actually shoot it? I swore there’s some photos of Jessica in a dinner dress floating around.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I heard they shot it and of course since Villeneuve hates deleted scenes we'll probably never see it.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 24, 2023

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If they cut the coffee set scenes I will boycott this movie.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, the banquet scene was much more important in terms of understanding the forces at play, which later on go on to affect the plot of the book.

To not shoot it because it relies heavily on internal dialogue would be one thing, but to shoot and then get rid of it? That's just frustrating, because it seems to suggest to me that they had an idea of how to do it, and just didn't try hard enough.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the issue is the movie was already very long and if you gave the banquet you need to include the suk conditioning and the whole subplot about who the traitor is. I get how that's a big part of the story and important in a lot of ways but I think it's a very elegant way to trim the story down.

Maybe some day when Villeneuve is done with releasing however many dunes he wants to do he'll turn around and see if he can re-edit them as a single 10 hour miniseries or whatever. I'm not counting on it, but I'd love to see it some day.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just want LotR style Extended Cuts tbh

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If someone can tell Ridley Scott to shut up and release a special edition for Alien I'm sure someone can to DV.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh no Denis is cutting the spice orgy double anal and the tour of the secret fremen spice lube and spice poppers factories, wow way to disrespect the source material dude

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the issue is the movie was already very long and if you gave the banquet you need to include the suk conditioning and the whole subplot about who the traitor is. I get how that's a big part of the story and important in a lot of ways but I think it's a very elegant way to trim the story down.

Maybe some day when Villeneuve is done with releasing however many dunes he wants to do he'll turn around and see if he can re-edit them as a single 10 hour miniseries or whatever. I'm not counting on it, but I'd love to see it some day.

he'll never do that because he's in the "films are static monolithic works that must be released according to the filmmaker's intention" camp

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kalel posted:

he'll never do that because he's in the "films are static monolithic works that must be released according to the filmmaker's intention" camp

Still beats the hell out of Michael Mann constantly re-editing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Still beats the hell out of Michael Mann constantly re-editing everything.

Directors should constantly re-edit and special edition and director's cut and otherwise screw with their stuff to see if they can make other cool poo poo with it. The original is still there for us to enjoy, why not get some new cuts that gives the rest of us new lenses into pieces of art we love?