Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I bought a new mount, ZWO AM5
So far so good, light weight, good guiding, easy to use

First night out with it on Sunday, did a shot of the rho ophiuchi region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m so envious. Questions for you (and anyone else in the thread with experience): how long have you been in the hobby? Did you come at it from a particular direction (prior experience with astronomy, photography, etc)? Has it been mostly a solo-adventure or have you had mentors/clubs?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

I’m so envious. Questions for you (and anyone else in the thread with experience): how long have you been in the hobby? Did you come at it from a particular direction (prior experience with astronomy, photography, etc)? Has it been mostly a solo-adventure or have you had mentors/clubs?

I had some previous photography experience, but always had an interest in space stuff. I had a telescope for a while but didn't use it too much, mainly just pics of the moon with a DSLR. Got more into it about a year ago, all totally solo, mostly reading forums.
Starting out it's hard to sort out good relevant info from the bad stuff. Some astro forums get into technical explanations really quickly and can be quite set in their ways about how things should be done.
Starting

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

I literally got into it just before Covid struck. I had little experience with photography or astronomy. I'll echo Raikyn about the technical explanations and set in the ways. Like, what's a good mount? And that turns into a 20 page rant between 30 greybeards about why the screw slack adjuster on the Losmandy rotary axis is inferior to clutched mechanism on the EQ6. There are some very passionate people, but so much is changing so fast that a lot of the forums are best ignored. I enjoyed the challenge of learning it all and taking good photos. I've learned enough to take photos, but not enough to be consistently good.

I'm not sure everyone is happy that the hobby is easier to get into. At one time some of these people must've looked like wizards, and now some goon with a 3d printed mount and a cellphone can take betters shots than they could 20 years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Landscape photography was my gateway about 7 years ago. Eventually one is gonna hit a point where they want to incorporate the milky way or an aurora or an eclipse into a scene and from there it's game over, you're trapped in the rabbit hole. It was capturing meteor showers that triggered getting my first equatorial mount (because aligning all the frames after the fact sucks).

My gear is all still super basic but I do have a shopping list as I get funds.

It's also soothing to be able to precisely know where something in the sky is going to be and align it with some terrestrial feature without ever visiting the area. Means I can pull up and get the frame without hunting around (a regular problem when taking photos in the day). The national parks that google has high resolution terrain for make this quite fun.. am hoping to be in monument valley for the annular eclipse this October.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are there any fairly comprehensive guides on how to do astrophotography?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

are there any fairly comprehensive guides on how to do astrophotography?

depends, how many tables of camera specs do you consider comprehensive?

Because this guy maintains a truly absurd amount of data here: https://clarkvision.com/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My big dream is to make a barn door mount for my phone so I can use it to take pictures.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Jewmanji posted:

I got into astronomy when I was 10 years old. That was in 1993. A friend of the family who was a professor at University of Arizona arranged for me and my folks to spend the whole night in the campus observatory, viewing with a 21" Cassegrain.

I was completely hooked. I've been a primarily visual observer ever since. Mostly solo endeavor but occasionally get involved in clubs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

depends, how many tables of camera specs do you consider comprehensive?

Because this guy maintains a truly absurd amount of data here: https://clarkvision.com/

zero! i just want a "this is what you need, this is how you put things together, and this is how you do the software thing to make the pretty pictures" guide. for all the reading i did before buying my telescope and a dslr, i didn't find anything saying "oh by the way, you 100% absolutely can't do prime photography with this telescope." and it kind of stings that there's eighty million reviews out there, but nothing thought to mention that i wouldn't be able to take pictures through the danged thing without eyepiece projection, you know? i still have no idea what i should've bought, and it's still not at all clear to me what the best I can do is, whether I could buy an aftermarket equatorial mount if I wanted to, and in general what the space of options is unless I just want to waste $100 at a time on "oh, that didn't work" over and over

all that said, the site you linked seems like exactly what I need. I'm looking at his first couple of beginner articles and I think they'll be precisely what I was after. Thank you!

e: oh, I have a real question! There's a street light across from my house. Without it, it'd be pretty dark but with it, it's not so great. Is there some way I can figure out what the wavelength is and then get a filter for my camera (or telescope, or whatever) that would eliminate that light? I know I could buy a filter, but I've absolutely no idea which filter I should buy

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 3, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

zero! i just want a "this is what you need, this is how you put things together, and this is how you do the software thing to make the pretty pictures" guide. for all the reading i did before buying my telescope and a dslr, i didn't find anything saying "oh by the way, you 100% absolutely can't do prime photography with this telescope." and it kind of stings that there's eighty million reviews out there, but nothing thought to mention that i wouldn't be able to take pictures through the danged thing without eyepiece projection, you know? i still have no idea what i should've bought, and it's still not at all clear to me what the best I can do is, whether I could buy an aftermarket equatorial mount if I wanted to, and in general what the space of options is unless I just want to waste $100 at a time on "oh, that didn't work" over and over

all that said, the site you linked seems like exactly what I need. I'm looking at his first couple of beginner articles and I think they'll be precisely what I was after. Thank you!

e: oh, I have a real question! There's a street light across from my house. Without it, it'd be pretty dark but with it, it's not so great. Is there some way I can figure out what the wavelength is and then get a filter for my camera (or telescope, or whatever) that would eliminate that light? I know I could buy a filter, but I've absolutely no idea which filter I should buy

You could try this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuMZG-SyDCU

As for the streetlight, is it blindingly white? If so, it's LED and you're screwed. Otherwise it's either sodium or magnesium.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 3, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think it's sodium or magnesium - it's more of a yellow deal. i'll try to remember to take a picture of it tonight

thanks for the link - I'll give it a watch!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Does the thread have a suggestion for an all-rounder color ZWO camera that is (a) available on Amazon US and (b) under $1k ?

I see the 533 and 183 are similar price, but don't know much about them otherwise.

I'd been avoiding dedicated cameras, and for now still will avoid the mono+filter route, but I have a $1k amazon credit I'd like to use, then quit buying from them for a while. So rather 1 larger purchase than death by a thousand cuts.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

pumped up for school posted:

Does the thread have a suggestion for an all-rounder color ZWO camera that is (a) available on Amazon US and (b) under $1k ?

I see the 533 and 183 are similar price, but don't know much about them otherwise.

I'd been avoiding dedicated cameras, and for now still will avoid the mono+filter route, but I have a $1k amazon credit I'd like to use, then quit buying from them for a while. So rather 1 larger purchase than death by a thousand cuts.

I have the 533, I'm quite pleased with it. I find it to be mostly painless to setup anywhere. Initially there was some issues but driver updates took care of them all.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

pumped up for school posted:

The 533 is a much newer sensor with lots of improvements, including almost no amp glow. The 183 has more and smaller pixels, which is better for some focal lengths, but aside from a need for that, I can't imagine not going with the 533.

ASI183MC

ASI533MC

Also its unfortunate that you have to buy from Amazon, both cameras sell for $799 straight from ZWO
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product-category/dso-cameras/

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

duodenum posted:

Also its unfortunate that you have to buy from Amazon, both cameras sell for $799 straight from ZWO
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product-category/dso-cameras/

I don't HAVE to buy from amzn, I'm just trying to burn some credit and it was a bigger-ticket item I saw I could buy there. I'll sleep on it. At least the 533 is shipped and sold by Agena, I do like them.

Thank you both!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm thinking of upgrading to a newtonian, this guy :

It looks to be in a sweet spot of what my mount can handle. (Scope is 17 lbs, EQ6 can handle 44 lbs) Beyond a coma corrector, anything else I should be looking at? I've got collimation equipment from the Dob so I should be good there.

I really like the looks of the Mak-Newt, but not sure I can justify it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First night out since last October. This is 30 minutes on M3, then my next target hit meridian and for some reason my ASCOM meridian settings were off and it just locked it up. So this was all I had from last night.

30 subs, 60s.

With any luck I should have two nights with clear skies. I ordered up a Telegizmos 365 and hope to leave it up for awhile.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm heading to my first dark sky site next month (Katahdin Woods, Maine). I'm very excited. In preparation, I'm looking to buy my first large FOV eyepiece, but I'm struggling to understand what the rate limiting factor is when I'm shopping around. I have a Celestron 1250mm / 6" SCT. Currently the highest TFOV I can achieve with my 32mm Tele Vue Plossl (50 degree AFOV) (https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=51&Tab=EP_EPL-32.0) is 1.28. The TFOV for 1.25" eyepieces seems to cap out at 100 degrees (like a 10mm Tele Vue Ethos, for example). That still only gets me a .8 TFOV. Is the numerator that is represented by my scope's focal length the issue here? I was hoping I could hit 1.6 degrees TFOV, or thereabouts, but it doesn't seem possible? So my only option is to lower the denominator and go for a low mag eyepiece? It seems like with my specs, it's possible to get a nice wide-angle FOV for DSOs, but a wide-angle FOV for planetary viewing just isn't really suited for this? Or is the answer to just couple a higher-mag wide-angle FOV eyepiece with a focal reducer (which I don't yet own)...?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Instead of getting a focal reducer, get a 2" visual back and diagonal, and get a 40mm Panoptic. 1.8° true field on a C6.

Large true field is meaningless on planetary viewing because you want to be zoomed in tight to see fine detail. Magnification and true field of view are inversely proportional. You want a wide true field for deep sky viewing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks. I was seeing random posts here and there about planetary viewing that made it seem like it might allow for high magnification, but mitigate the low FOV somewhat (despite the apparent contradiction). Helps to know that I can stick to the low magnification end of things. I certainly can't afford that eyepiece, but I'll try to find something within my budget.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks. I was seeing random posts here and there about planetary viewing that made it seem like it might allow for high magnification, but mitigate the low FOV somewhat (despite the apparent contradiction). Helps to know that I can stick to the low magnification end of things. I certainly can't afford that eyepiece, but I'll try to find something within my budget.

I have an Explore Scientific 68deg 34mm and it is very comfortable (with glasses) and wide, though I've not compared it to a Panoptic or tried to use it in a fast scope. It's about $250 and its 40mm brother is just a little more. It's a good alternative, and it gets 85% of the way to a Tele Vue at about half the price. poo poo, even closer if you're a casual visual observer using an SCT.

You can get a 2" visual back and a 2" diagonal separately, or you can get a 2" SCT diagonal (that threads straight onto the scope) for a bit cheaper. You'd be wide(r) field observing for about $400 with the ES 68 40 and the GSO 2" SCT diagonal.

edit: oh, and the thing about planetary viewing and FOV is that you don't *need* a 70 degree SWA or 82 degree UWA eyepiece to appreciate viewing planets at high magnification. If you're going to have that planet centered in your view, a devastatingly sharp TV Plossl will do the trick at 52 degrees or whatever, as long as you can track it smoothly.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 24, 2023

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Did a bit of a wider angle shot of part of the milky way. Nice to have the milky way season start up again.
Showing the southern cross over to carina
I really need to get some dew control going, this shot was straight up so the lens hood offered no protection

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

For the second time in as many months, last night there were auroral displays over Colorado that were obscured by clouds. gently caress my entire life.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The path of totality of the 2024 solar eclipse passes over Cleveland and Erie, Pennsylvania, both of which are two hours from Pittsburgh. I have no doubt that it will be cloudy in April. I'm seriously considering going to Texas to see it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

AstroZamboni posted:

For the second time in as many months, last night there were auroral displays over Colorado that were obscured by clouds. gently caress my entire life.

There seems to have been a severe geomagnetic storm going on
Lots of good pics from it though.

https://twitter.com/Astro_Cady/status/1650538094548877314

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

The path of totality of the 2024 solar eclipse passes over Cleveland and Erie, Pennsylvania, both of which are two hours from Pittsburgh. I have no doubt that it will be cloudy in April. I'm seriously considering going to Texas to see it.

Texas has the best percentage of clear skies in the US at that time of year (and it's still not great, like 30% or 40%? It's been a while since I checked), and the percentages get worse and worse as it tracks towards the northeast.

Unfortunately finding public lands in Texas is hard. The path misses big bend for example which is probably the biggest public area in the state.. the rest is all ranches. There are a handful of small state parks that are in the right spot but I guarantee they are gonna be PACKED.

The alternative is to go down into Mexico (and the skies get better) but there's problems with that too.

edit - http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2024_GoogleMapFull.html - just look at that, the options are terrible

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 24, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

We were lucky enough to be in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse, and it was hands down the coolest natural experience of my life. I think it would be worth the trip to Texas, but you're probably too late to find decent accommodations super close to totality. In Nebraska at least, in 2017, every hotel room in all the tiny towns were reserved at least a year ahead of time. Saw so many people sleeping in their vehicles wherever they could.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 24, 2023

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

AstroZamboni posted:

Nearly total overcast here in Minnesota, too. I'm glad I caught the event a month ago!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Enos Cabell posted:

We were lucky enough to be in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse, and it was hands down the coolest natural experience of my life. I think it would be worth the trip to Texas, but you're probably too late to find decent accommodations super close to totality. In Nebraska at least, in 2017, every hotel room in all the tiny towns were reserved at least a year ahead of time. Saw so many people sleeping in their vehicles wherever they could.

The path of totality went over my hometown in Wyoming. I want to see another one something fierce. Mexico may be the better place to go. I've only been there once in 2000 for a day in Nogales. Good thing I have a passport.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

The path of totality went over my hometown in Wyoming. I want to see another one something fierce. Mexico may be the better place to go. I've only been there once in 2000 for a day in Nogales. Good thing I have a passport.

Unfortunately all the locations in Mexico have scary warnings from the US government about crime and gang activity. If you stay in curated tourist areas it'll probably be fine but there are some nasty spots to be aware of.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a feeling I'm going to be pushing up to Erie and hoping for the best. I have about a year before the eclipse, but like negative two years to figure out where to see it and be able to stay.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Will probably forever be the coolest photos I take.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/
That site has an extensive writeup of the average climatology for early April along the track. I happen to have family in Cleveland and the skies close to the lake are slightly clearer than inland, so I'm probably going to take my chances with the weather and stay with them, which makes the transportation and lodging concerns much easier to deal with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm thinking the national forests in Arkansas or southern Illinois. This track isn't nearly as good for landscape scenery as the 2017 one (unless you roll the dice and do the mountains of Maine) but I'd at least like a shot at not being in a massive crowd. I'm currently eyeing Tall Peak Fire Tower because it's a small hike to get there which maybe means less of a throng.

And if the weather is a bust there's some trails nearby to explore.

Side note: don't forget there's an annular eclipse in October too. Get that ring of fire! It passes through some excellent remote sites in the southwest US.

Also side complaint: how the hell does a state as big as Texas have so little public land? What a hellscape.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

duodenum posted:

I have an Explore Scientific 68deg 34mm and it is very comfortable (with glasses) and wide, though I've not compared it to a Panoptic or tried to use it in a fast scope. It's about $250 and its 40mm brother is just a little more. It's a good alternative, and it gets 85% of the way to a Tele Vue at about half the price. poo poo, even closer if you're a casual visual observer using an SCT.

You can get a 2" visual back and a 2" diagonal separately, or you can get a 2" SCT diagonal (that threads straight onto the scope) for a bit cheaper. You'd be wide(r) field observing for about $400 with the ES 68 40 and the GSO 2" SCT diagonal.

edit: oh, and the thing about planetary viewing and FOV is that you don't *need* a 70 degree SWA or 82 degree UWA eyepiece to appreciate viewing planets at high magnification. If you're going to have that planet centered in your view, a devastatingly sharp TV Plossl will do the trick at 52 degrees or whatever, as long as you can track it smoothly.

Thanks again for the advice. I bought the star diagonal and eyepiece at your recommendation. Unfortunately the Star diagonal is too big for my 6” SCT, it interferes with the focuser and the mount. Dang it :(

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 27, 2023

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks again for the advice. I bought the star diagonal and eyepiece at your recommendation. Unfortunately the Star diagonal is too big for my 6” SCT, it interferes with the focuser and the mount. Dang it :(

On your 6SE you would have better served with the focal reducer rather than a 2" diagonal. The baffle opening in the 6SE is only 27mm. The maximum field stop in a 1.25" eyepiece is 27mm. The reason why 2" eyepieces exist is in order to have wider AFOV at mid to low powers you need a field stop greater than 27mm. A 2" eyepiece with a field stop greater than 27mm is just going to produce vignetting and you won't get the full field of view. It might not be too noticeable if an eyepiece's field stop is just a little more than 27mm, but if you were to use a wide field low power eyepiece with a 46mm field stop you'll notice. You're going to be missing a good chunk of your outer viewing area. On SCTs a 2" diagonal is really only worthwhile on the 8" sizes and greater. Even on the 8SE the baffle opening is only 37 or 38mm.

As for a 1.25" eyepiece with the widest view and greatest magnification w/o a focal reducer would be either the Explore Scientific 24mm 68 AFOV or the Tele Vue 24mm Panoptic. The former is on sale right now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Liquid Chicken posted:

On your 6SE you would have better served with the focal reducer rather than a 2" diagonal. The baffle opening in the 6SE is only 27mm. The maximum field stop in a 1.25" eyepiece is 27mm. The reason why 2" eyepieces exist is in order to have wider AFOV at mid to low powers you need a field stop greater than 27mm. A 2" eyepiece with a field stop greater than 27mm is just going to produce vignetting and you won't get the full field of view. It might not be too noticeable if an eyepiece's field stop is just a little more than 27mm, but if you were to use a wide field low power eyepiece with a 46mm field stop you'll notice. You're going to be missing a good chunk of your outer viewing area. On SCTs a 2" diagonal is really only worthwhile on the 8" sizes and greater. Even on the 8SE the baffle opening is only 37 or 38mm.

As for a 1.25" eyepiece with the widest view and greatest magnification w/o a focal reducer would be either the Explore Scientific 24mm 68 AFOV or the Tele Vue 24mm Panoptic. The former is on sale right now.

Thanks. I already have a 32mm Tele Vue with a 50 AFOV which yields a 1.28 TFOV versus the above, which would yield 1.30, so that's not a difference worth investing in.

I'm getting a bit of conflicting advice as to whether I should a focal reducer or the 2" diagonal, but perhaps AstroZamboni's advice was independent of my particular stats (also I misspoke earlier, my Celestron 5SE has a 5" aperture, not 6" the OTA itself is 6"

AstroZamboni posted:

Instead of getting a focal reducer, get a 2" visual back and diagonal, and get a 40mm Panoptic. 1.8° true field on a C6.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 27, 2023

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks. I already have a 32mm Tele Vue with a 50 AFOV which yields a 1.28 TFOV versus the above, which would yield 1.30, so that's not a difference worth investing in.

I'm getting a bit of conflicting advice as to whether I should a focal reducer or the 2" diagonal, but perhaps AstroZamboni's advice was independent of my particular stats (also I misspoke earlier, my Celestron 5SE has a 5" aperture, not 6" the OTA itself is 6"

The 32mm plossl vs a 24mm 68 AFOV is more dependent on which magnification / exit pupil you want. The 32mm will give you a larger exit pupil, but the 24mm has greater magnification. Depends on what trade off you want.

So if you have a 5SE your baffle opening size is only 25mm. A 41mm Panoptic's field stop is 46mm. You can see the problem.

You're better off with the focal reducer. 2" diagonal isn't going to do much for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
this seems like a good thread to post these:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/tales-of-the-space-age-21340

https://youtu.be/bQDekKnkTdI