Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Useless "Craptain" Mid and Filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't even gaf, keeping the snipe, also amend "Filler" to the thread title please and thank you

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Ubiquitus posted:

It’s actually kinda crazy the marines let kuzan walk away. Why not kill him and be done with another threat?

You're assuming they could kill him. When he and Akainu fought at Punk Hazard, they left the entire island messed up and the best that Akainu could get was taking Kuzan's leg. Killing the guy would likely require more resources than the marines had available at the time and risk even more collateral damage.

The marines are trying to assassinate Vegapunk right now and look at how well that's going for them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Having his just former comrades have to turn around and (try to) kill him just for resigning might also be bad for morale, you might even risk a mutiny of your heavy hitters which you need to kill him, which is the last thing you'd want. Also if word got out it'd probably be a PR disaster for the Marines for similar reasons

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Trafailgar L Wasted Flaw

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ubiquitus posted:

It’s actually kinda crazy the marines let kuzan walk away. Why not kill him and be done with another threat?

He's definitely a deep-cover agent and his and Akainu's fight was just to sell the lie that he's left the marines.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Him being a deep cover agent is a boring direction for him but I’ll trust Oda to make it interesting if it happens

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

L Flake

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Akainu didn’t kill Kuzan because they used to be comrades.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

Well I mean Aikanu levelled an island trying to do that and the best he could do is cut off a leg.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think Akainu very clearly won that fight. But it wasn't supposed to be life or death they were fighting over fleet admiral (with it basically understood imo that the loser would leave the marines). I don't know why they'd kill Kuzan for losing either that seems a little crazy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 24, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nakainu

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
marines are allowed to quit without being sent to impel down.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Individual marines follow their own interpretation of justice based on their self-ideology. According to the vivrecards: Akainu's is absolute (rear end in a top hat) justice, Kizaru's is unclear justice (lol), Tsuru is cleansing justice, Sengoku is reigning justice, Fujitora is humane justice, and Aokiji is lazy justice

Electric Phantasm posted:

Useless "Craptain" Mid and Filler

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ubiquitus posted:

I'm wondering why the WG was okay with Kuzan challenging Sakazuki to a duel for control of the Marines in the first place. Especially when the WG clearly favored Sakazuki. Why not just tell him to pound sand? :shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He was the ace student of the Hero of the Marines! You can't just discount the clout that gives you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Individual marines follow their own interpretation of justice based on their self-ideology. According to the vivrecards: Akainu's is absolute (rear end in a top hat) justice, Kizaru's is unclear justice (lol), Tsuru is cleansing justice, Sengoku is reigning justice, Fujitora is humane justice, and Aokiji is lazy justice

Actually Sakazuku is "Thorough Justice". Lucci also has one in Dark Justice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm wondering why the WG was okay with Kuzan challenging Sakazuki to a duel for control of the Marines in the first place. Especially when the WG clearly favored Sakazuki. Why not just tell him to pound sand? :shrug:

Cause he was the successor put forth by the former Fleet Admiral.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nah, Akainu would send a magma fist to his own mother's face to ensure her mugger didn't get away. Akainu not killing Kuzan is like 99% of the evidence that he's actually on an undercover mission for the Navy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe even Akainu believes in the bonds of friendship.......

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Friendship as a common thematic element works a lot better when even the bad dudes relate to it (which is why BB is so cool) so I think it is more interesting if even a bastard like Akainu maybe does have something of a soft spot for a long-time colleague.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Akainu killing Aokiji for no reason at all doesn't even make sense... what part of his characterization suggests he'd do that?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 25, 2023

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

No Wave posted:

Akainu killing Aokiji for no reason at all doesn't even make sense... what part of his characterization suggests he'd do that?

I’m pretty sure Akainu killed a marine or a few during the Marineford War. And he was about to kill Koby too

Edit:

Reiche fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 25, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No Wave posted:

Ohara and Marineford

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinda feel like separate situations tbh.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Reiche posted:

I’m pretty sure Akainu killed a marine or a few during the Marineford War. And he was about to kill Koby too

Edit:
But that's a deserter. There is a long historical tradition of killing deserters. Obviously it's just murder when it's done like this but in his mind it's for a purpose.

Gyges posted:

Ohara and Marineford
Ohara was a literal interpretation of the orders he got. If Ohara was so ridiculously threatening to the world as to justify a buster call then any brutality to ensure they're all wiped out is justifiable. It's kind of consistent though obviously psycho and stupid. This isn't randomly killing Aokiji for fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you get in Akainu's way of pirate murdering and/or seem less devoted to pirate murdering as he is while on duty he will kill you. But if you get in his way for a promotion he will simply take a limb.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

But that's a deserter. There is a long historical tradition of killing deserters. Obviously it's just murder when it's done like this but in his mind it's for a purpose.

So you agree that Kuzan hasn't deserted the marines?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sakazuki challenged Kuzan to an I Quit match for the title.

Kuzan still has not said I Quit so the battle still rages.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kild posted:

So you agree that Kuzan hasn't deserted the marines?
My understanding is that he resigned.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah he resigned alright. he turned in his commission. and whatever else becoming part of sword was

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Isn't he literally fighting against sword right now? Pretty deep cover.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just shows how good he is at this spy thing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Akainu wakes up every day and wonders wistfully about how life would be different right now if he'd lost the fight and was still an Admiral tearing poo poo up

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ubiquitus posted:

Wh- why would they? Kuzan was one of the best Marines they had, recommended for Fleet Admiral by the former Fleet Admiral himself, and the protégé of the Hero of the Marines. Plus, given Sakazuki and Borsalino's personalities, Kuzan was probably way more popular among the rank-and-file Marines. There was no indication that he'd go on and up and join a pirate crew, let alone the most notorious pirate crew in the world.

What sort of message does it send the Marines if you kill one of your best and brightest for the crime of, uh, walking away from the job after a dude he hates got a promotion over him?

Gyges posted:

Nah, Akainu would send a magma fist to his own mother's face to ensure her mugger didn't get away. Akainu not killing Kuzan is like 99% of the evidence that he's actually on an undercover mission for the Navy.

Sakazuki is a civilian-murderin' piece of poo poo but his deal is that he justifies every heinous action he does with his form of justice. I do not think Sakazuki would kill Kuzan just cause Kuzan tried to keep him from getting a job. In fact, I'm pretty sure Sakazuki would have been fine with keeping Kuzan in the Marines, but obviously Kuzan could never allow himself to be a part of an organization under someone who's form of justice clashes so harshly with his (considering that Kuzan developed his Lazy Justice after seeing the results of Sakazuki's brutal and uncompromising Absolute Justice).

I think, had the tables been turned, Sakazuki would have just stuck to being a part of the Marines (provided that Kuzan didn't fire him). His entire agenda is rooted around conducting Absolute Justice in the name of the Marines - going vigilante or pirate wouldn't really suit him. If he was fired, he'd probably get a job directly with the World Government or just set up shop in a kingdom under the World Government and start conducting Absolute Justice on any pirates (or civilians) he got his hands on.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

U-DO Burger posted:

Akainu wakes up every day and wonders wistfully about how life would be different right now if he'd lost the fight and was still an Admiral tearing poo poo up

Yeah I don't think Sakazuki really wanted to be Fleet Admiral as much as felt like he had to because Borsalino is so wishy-washy (ironically, Borsalino seems to be the only guy who gets along with Sakazuki), and Kuzan's too soft for him. He probably really hates having to deal with all the paperwork and managing PR and talking to the Gorosei and all that jazz.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

oddium posted:

yeah he resigned alright. he turned in his commission. and whatever else becoming part of sword was

he actually re-signed - common translation error

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah I don't think Sakazuki really wanted to be Fleet Admiral as much as felt like he had to because Borsalino is so wishy-washy (ironically, Borsalino seems to be the only guy who gets along with Sakazuki), and Kuzan's too soft for him. He probably really hates having to deal with all the paperwork and managing PR and talking to the Gorosei and all that jazz.

Akainu being forced to play Emperor-scale politics and not antagonize Luffy, only to see it happen anyway because lmao, was such a good turnabout

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Runa posted:

Akainu being forced to play Emperor-scale politics and not antagonize Luffy, only to see it happen anyway because lmao, was such a good turnabout

It's also hilarious that the once-uptight and stern and all-business Sengoku immediately starts relaxing and eating snacks in Sakazuki's office and just being a nuisance, just like how Garp used to do in Sengoku's office, after he's freed from the burden of being Fleet Admiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still kinda confused at the Yonko/Government relationship like I get the idea with someone like Big Mom who controls a lot of territory. But Luffy? Like was anyone seriously expecting that encounter to go down any other way?