Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still kinda confused at the Yonko/Government relationship like I get the idea with someone like Big Mom who controls a lot of territory. But Luffy? Like was anyone seriously expecting that encounter to go down any other way?

Offscreen Luffy has an armada and controlled territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
From the government's perspective Luffy is also not only one of the strongest dudes around, with a strong crew and followers, but he's also a loose cannon psychopath who is constantly destroying government facilities, helped instigate the biggest prison break in history, is actively antagonistic to the celestial dragons and has major ties to the revolutionary army. They probably want to avoid the rank and file marines antagonising him or he might come for one of the gorosei's rear end directly.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still kinda confused at the Yonko/Government relationship like I get the idea with someone like Big Mom who controls a lot of territory. But Luffy? Like was anyone seriously expecting that encounter to go down any other way?

It's kinda one of them things where we the readers know the actual context but characters who aren't there to witness it get a totally different idea of Luffy's actions. A lot of Luffy's actions are just things he did for the sake of friends, but to the oustide world he's declared war on the government (and won most of the time they've fought), he's taken territory (Fishman Island, Wano basically), and he's amassed a massive following of subordinate crews that literally go around proselytizing him to the masses (Something we know he didn't ask for but happened anyway) so yeah, a random person in the OP World probably sees Luffy as just as dangerous as Big Mom or Kaido or whatever

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fair points all around thanks everyone!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lord_Magmar posted:

The idea that Blackbeard covered up what he was doing with Whitebeard because he actually has a plant that grows every kind of fruit that he's using to extract Devil Fruit would actually be kind of amazing. Maybe they're all the size of cherries.

He's got a Tree of Forty Fruit in his basket.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
kuzan almost certainly has his own agenda that lead him to team up with blackbeard but 'super deep cover for the marines' seems relatively unlikely now

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think he's directly working for the Marines, but despite his dislike of Sakazuki he probably does still see them as a necessity.

He even tips off Smoker that Dofflamingo is up to something and that he should warn Sakazuki about it.

(Then Luffy beats up Doflamingo and it becomes a moot point.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It would be neat to get a birds eye view of the story and actually see the sum of Luffy’s current power and influence from the perspective of a total neophyte in the new world

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Drakkel posted:

It's kinda one of them things where we the readers know the actual context but characters who aren't there to witness it get a totally different idea of Luffy's actions. A lot of Luffy's actions are just things he did for the sake of friends, but to the oustide world he's declared war on the government (and won most of the time they've fought), he's taken territory (Fishman Island, Wano basically), and he's amassed a massive following of subordinate crews that literally go around proselytizing him to the masses (Something we know he didn't ask for but happened anyway) so yeah, a random person in the OP World probably sees Luffy as just as dangerous as Big Mom or Kaido or whatever

luffys rise is also beyond meteoric. the dude went from showing up in east blue and in six months broke out of a prison no one had ever escaped from among a bunch of other impossible feats. he then vanished for 2 years, and in like five minutes after appearing defeated two yonko and took over two islands and got his armada. the dude didnt just do all that poo poo, he did it at a speed that a world of boats and islands can barely react to.

it takes like days for news to spread and by the time luffys latest feat hits the ears of most people, hes done something else completely insane that no one has ever done.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would be neat to get a birds eye view of the story and actually see the sum of Luffy’s current power and influence from the perspective of a total neophyte in the new world

this is what the newspaper is

:bignews:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

this is what the newspaper is

:bignews:

I honestly want to see a From the Decks of the World about Luffy having a Yonko level bounty now and everyone from the last few arcs reacting to Wano's events

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
'the grandson of the hero of the marines who's also son of the most wanted man in the world, a vinsmoke super soldier and a swordsman who trained under marine hunter mihawk for years defeated two emperors with the help of four other supernovas'

doesn't sound so impressive to me

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also what happened to Kuzan's cute giant penguin....

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It should also be noted that Marineford was a bait and switch to fight it out with one Emperor. Marineford was a technical win for the Marines, but the cost was astronomical and they almost lost all thanks to Luffy.

Directly antagonizing Luffy isn't just bad because he and his crew are strong. A big drag out fight has real potential to go super bad when Dragon and Shanks both show up to see who's picking on their boy. Also the assumption due to surface evidence is that Luffy is good buddies with Buggy and his boys.

Picking a fight with Luffy is one dice roll away from fighting 3 Emperors and the Revolutionary Army at the same time. Which also means there's no check on Blackbeard to keep him from Blackbearding at that time.

It's no surprise that official policy is don't start poo poo with the Strawhats.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Plutonis posted:

Also what happened to Kuzan's cute giant penguin....

Emergency food

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't think he's directly working for the Marines, but despite his dislike of Sakazuki he probably does still see them as a necessity.

He even tips off Smoker that Dofflamingo is up to something and that he should warn Sakazuki about it.

(Then Luffy beats up Doflamingo and it becomes a moot point.)

I recall Issho was sent to Dressrosa because of this (and also his fake resigning.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

anime was right posted:

luffys rise is also beyond meteoric. the dude went from showing up in east blue and in six months broke out of a prison no one had ever escaped from among a bunch of other impossible feats. he then vanished for 2 years, and in like five minutes after appearing defeated two yonko and took over two islands and got his armada. the dude didnt just do all that poo poo, he did it at a speed that a world of boats and islands can barely react to.

it takes like days for news to spread and by the time luffys latest feat hits the ears of most people, hes done something else completely insane that no one has ever done.

Yeah like Roger had for example already been an established pirate for years before his final voyage. The vast majority of big shots we have met have been active for decades.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recall Issho was sent to Dressrosa because of this (and also his fake resigning.)

Oh wait is that why Issho was there I completely forgot that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
When was the last time we saw Bogard? Was that pre timeskip?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

Come on, Shiki's still canon!

Strong World might not be, but Shiki himself still is!!!!!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

luchadornado posted:

he actually re-signed - common translation error

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I think he just put a freeze on his navy contract

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the point of sword isn't that they have resigned already. that would simply make them former marines. rather, they hand in their resignation which is then put on hold indefinitely until they do something the marines want to deny responsibility for. then the resignation is completed, they fill in the date and claim the person in question wasn't a marine at the time. it's a dumb technicality and i'm not sure who it is supposed to convince.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also, for a lot of the big names of the pirate world, their first encounter with Luffy was seeing him show up from having instigated a mass outbreak from Impel Down and IMMEDIATELY start talking poo poo to Whitebeard without the slightest hint of fear. He makes a hell of an impression!

Holy poo poo :vince:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also he OHKO'd Garp in front of the entire world. That it was faked on Garp's part is something most people won't consider.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wrong homer used 8/10

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Jose posted:

Wrong homer used 8/10

i'll allow it since it's one of his triplets

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BoosterDuck posted:

'the grandson of the hero of the marines who's also son of the most wanted man in the world, a vinsmoke super soldier and a swordsman who trained under marine hunter mihawk for years defeated two emperors with the help of four other supernovas'

doesn't sound so impressive to me

it is when the entire world government had to pool all of its heaviest hitters together just to take down one, and folded as soon as a 2nd showed up

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

it is when the entire world government had to pool all of its heaviest hitters together just to take down one, and folded as soon as a 2nd showed up

to be fair said 2nd can apparently make an admiral poo poo his pants by just squinting at him from 10 miles away

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's interesting to imagine if the present day Straw Hats had turned up at Marineford, and even if they couldn't take down all the Marines there, Sengoku would still definitely have ended the flight just to avoid the damage they could have done.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jose posted:

Wrong homer used 8/10

:v:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the point of sword isn't that they have resigned already. that would simply make them former marines. rather, they hand in their resignation which is then put on hold indefinitely until they do something the marines want to deny responsibility for. then the resignation is completed, they fill in the date and claim the person in question wasn't a marine at the time. it's a dumb technicality and i'm not sure who it is supposed to convince.

That is something I've been wondering about, why the whole charade with SWORD? I get the idea for infiltrators like X Drake, but it seems like most of the regular SWORD marines like Koby are still sailing around, doing Marine things while identifying as Marines. If Kaido or Big Mom or someone similar took offense, would waving a piece of paper that says 'actually they technically weren't working with us when they attacked you so you don't have a case' really do anything? It's not like the Emperors gained their positions through excessive amounts of restraint and diplomacy.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's something like "we'll disavow your actions and say you went rogue if it's convenient for us". IE normally the Marines would have some obligation to back up marines who were following orders and got in trouble but in this case they don't. The emperors know they're informally at war with the WG even when they're officially maintaining civil relations for convenience's sake so catching sword members doesnt change much.

I'm not that into sword but at least it's given a narrative reason for Garp to be risking his life solo to save Coby.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I love western comics

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Also luffy is an Emperor because the Gosekai know about joyboy (iirc) and see him as its inheritor post-wano, which alone is probably enough for a yonko title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
man marked by flame = former sun pirate member??