Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The true ending to Game of Thrones: Tormund enjoying his beautiful green lawn beyond the Wall now that the Night King is dead and the seasons have normalized on Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

he bent the knee. :smith:

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

I know it's petty, but that double space after periods grinds me.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Kylaer posted:

What kind of giant nerd could write such a thi- :ohno:

It's pretty epic man. It was a real high point for this thread.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

TERFherder posted:

I know it's petty, but that double space after periods grinds me.

That was normal up until like 10 years ago. I still have muscle memory automatically doing it and then I have to go back and change it in emails and stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does GRRM still write on an ancient shitbox

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does GRRM still write

let me stop you right there

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Will the writing pace increase or decrease with Aaron Rodgers traded to the Jets?

Decrease is impossible, although he could delete the Mercy chapter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

The Vorrh, Piranesi, Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr

gently caress I should have said the Vorrh, that alone is better than any fantasy stuff I've ever read. Almost put Piranesi too but wasn't sure if it fully fit the criteria. Will need to check out the last one on this list based on the strength of the others.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

OperaMouse posted:

Will the writing pace increase or decrease with Aaron Rodgers traded to the Jets?

He’s going to take Aaron Rodger’s “I’m basically 90% retired” line to heart

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

bobjr posted:

He’s going to take Aaron Rodger’s “I’m basically 90% retired” line to heart

He will rage about how the Giants should have signed Odell Beckham instead. Because GM is an idiot.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

latinotwink1997 posted:

That was normal up until like 10 years ago. I still have muscle memory automatically doing it and then I have to go back and change it in emails and stuff.

It stopped being normal way long before that. It was an issue in like the late 90s. I get that it takes people a while to adapt, but I think you have to be 65+, or work in certain industries to still be doing the double space thing. Basically it says to me: Old person or Lawyer. In fairness, maybe "Screenwriter" or "Author" falls under that category, but it still loving feels like I'm getting dirt in my eye whenever I see it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KellHound posted:

Also stupid is when she goes in that consel room. She comes in and is like hey so we gotta put my son on the throne. Her dad's crew is like "right here's the plan we've been working on for years" and then she lectures them for plotting behind the king's back and also didn't know about it. It seems like they can't make up their minds on if she is pushed into this by the patriarchy or if she is super ambitious. A lot of the characters are super inconsistent.

Yeah, I thought the finale was very good, but the second-to-last episode had a lot of problems, mostly around Alicent's characterization. She's been ambitious for almost 20 years, then she gives it up after one good night with the family, but she interprets Viserys's dying ramblings as him changing his mind about the succession and cannot be convinced otherwise? And then she's horrified to learn that her allies have been plotting exactly what she says she wants, because they've been plotting it longer than the two minutes since they learned of Viserys's death?

It'd make way more sense if she were just taking it as a flimsy justification for her ambitions. The show knows that, because everyone else from Otto on down is like, "yay, right on time, it's a flimsy justification for our ambitions!" But she's insistent every time that it's not a justification, it's her carrying out her husband's dying wish, even though literally nobody, including Aegon himself, believes her.

It feels like they want you to have sympathy for Alicent and to believe that she believes she's doing the right thing. But if that's what they wanted, it would have been far better to just lean into "she's being pushed into this by the men around her and wants to resist but has no leverage," instead of having her be completely on board with crowning Aegon at any cost and only quibbling with whether or not to murder Rhaenyra and her sons.

Mostly it feels like they want HotD to be just like GoT in the sense that there were multiple straightforward sides for the fans to decide were "right:" are you a Stark supporter, a Lannister, did you stick with Stannis even though we ruined everything about his character, are you still pining for Renly with Brienne, etc.? And they softened a lot of characters to create sympathetic viewpoints for the fans. So with HotD they're like "it's the Greens and the Blacks, pick your side!" But they're struggling because unlike ASoIaF, which had likable characters or at least characters with justifiable actions on all of those sides that the show could then soften, they're doing this with the Dance of the Dragons, which is explicitly an "everyone loving suuuuuuucks" story. You can't soften Rhaenyra and Alicent equally, because Rhaenyra's the rightful heir and the viewer knows it. So their attempt to do so just comes off as them saying "Rhaenyra's even more of the "good guy" in this, while Alicent's still the devious usurper, she just feels sad about it."

TERFherder posted:

It stopped being normal way long before that. It was an issue in like the late 90s. I get that it takes people a while to adapt, but I think you have to be 65+, or work in certain industries to still be doing the double space thing. Basically it says to me: Old person or Lawyer. In fairness, maybe "Screenwriter" or "Author" falls under that category, but it still loving feels like I'm getting dirt in my eye whenever I see it.

I learned to double-space in the 2000s, and I'm neither an old nor a lawyer. I think the timing of it getting phased out varied by location.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Double spacing should have died with the typewriter.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

disaster pastor posted:

I learned to double-space in the 2000s, and I'm neither an old nor a lawyer. I think the timing of it getting phased out varied by location.

Yea, I graduated HS in 2004. They literally told us to use double space after periods.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Graduated in 2005 and never heard any of that foolish nonsense.

:shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah I am nearing 40 so definitely no spring chicken but for college level writing I believe we used Chicago Manual of Style (at least for my non-tech classes, I am aware there are others depending on specific areas) which at the time recommended 2 (unless we were using an out of date version). A quick google seems to indicate that the American Psychological Association were one of the last to shift to single space and that was in 2019. I also found references to the Associated Press's guide still using double space a few years back.

So it's definitely not a "you have to be 65 or older" thing, it probably largely depends on location as well as area of study, but yeah it was probably mainly a thing with type-written documents and has been phased out in the digital era.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In my generation my use of periods at all is determined by if my phone autocorrects one in

Not making that up.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TERFherder posted:

It's pretty epic man. It was a real high point for this thread.

Definitely the best ending asoiaf ever got!

The first Daenerys chapter was the funniest.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

OperaMouse posted:

I do wonder if, in a world where Winds is actually published (lol), the Mercy chapter survives in its 2014 form. The world has changed a lot in the last ten years, even if GRRM hasn’t, and I’ve got to imagine someone at his publisher doesn’t want their name attached to ‘wacky rape comedy.’

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I thought the finale was very good, but the second-to-last episode had a lot of problems, mostly around Alicent's characterization. She's been ambitious for almost 20 years, then she gives it up after one good night with the family, but she interprets Viserys's dying ramblings as him changing his mind about the succession and cannot be convinced otherwise? And then she's horrified to learn that her allies have been plotting exactly what she says she wants, because they've been plotting it longer than the two minutes since they learned of Viserys's death?

It'd make way more sense if she were just taking it as a flimsy justification for her ambitions. The show knows that, because everyone else from Otto on down is like, "yay, right on time, it's a flimsy justification for our ambitions!" But she's insistent every time that it's not a justification, it's her carrying out her husband's dying wish, even though literally nobody, including Aegon himself, believes her.

It feels like they want you to have sympathy for Alicent and to believe that she believes she's doing the right thing. But if that's what they wanted, it would have been far better to just lean into "she's being pushed into this by the men around her and wants to resist but has no leverage," instead of having her be completely on board with crowning Aegon at any cost and only quibbling with whether or not to murder Rhaenyra and her sons.

Mostly it feels like they want HotD to be just like GoT in the sense that there were multiple straightforward sides for the fans to decide were "right:" are you a Stark supporter, a Lannister, did you stick with Stannis even though we ruined everything about his character, are you still pining for Renly with Brienne, etc.? And they softened a lot of characters to create sympathetic viewpoints for the fans. So with HotD they're like "it's the Greens and the Blacks, pick your side!" But they're struggling because unlike ASoIaF, which had likable characters or at least characters with justifiable actions on all of those sides that the show could then soften, they're doing this with the Dance of the Dragons, which is explicitly an "everyone loving suuuuuuucks" story. You can't soften Rhaenyra and Alicent equally, because Rhaenyra's the rightful heir and the viewer knows it. So their attempt to do so just comes off as them saying "Rhaenyra's even more of the "good guy" in this, while Alicent's still the devious usurper, she just feels sad about it."

Man, everything in this post you're bringing up as a complaint is reminding me why I really liked HotD and Alicent's character in particular. I saw Alicent as conflicted rather than contradictory. Her ambitions were rooted in fear, ever since Otto (not incorrectly) planted the idea in her head that her children's existence was always going to be a threat to anyone else on the throne, and that they were all going to die as soon as Rhaenyra needed to shore up the legitimacy of her position. Cue Rhaenyra loving around literally and figuratively, inflaming Alicent's terror of that scenario and kicking off the momentum for the Green/Black rivalry.

Alicent doesn't want power for its own sake, she doesn't want to be the bad guy, she sees herself as a fundamentally good person trying to do the right thing amidst a social structure that couldn't give less of a poo poo. So when that one good night makes de-escalation and a return to friendship seem possible, she's willing. But then Viserys dies, the chips are down, real reconciliation beyond one conversation hasn't happened yet, and her worst fears are in play. She latches onto the interpretation that will let her make the ruthless "save my family" power play, but of course she's pissed at her family for already plotting without any pretext at all, because their nakedly dishonorable motivations are holding up a mirror to her that she doesn't want to look into. Having her be a passive victim of the men in her life, instead of a victim that then grasps for agency and does terrible things with it, would have made her more sympathetic but far less interesting.

Can't wait to see how they flush all those interesting family character dynamics down the shitter next season to give us more dragons and prophecy poo poo!

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

latinotwink1997 posted:

Yea, I graduated HS in 2004. They literally told us to use double space after periods.

Huh interesting, I didn't realize it was still going on at that point. I guess I did hang out with typeface designers, so that double space was a bit of a hot button topic. Watch me name drop some poo poo that won't mean anything to anyone but a really niche crowd. While working for Roger Black, I saw Zuzana Licko at a party. Being a big fan, especially of the D.R. issue, I walked up and introduced myself.

Me: "I really love your fonts!"
Zuzana: looks at me over the top of her martini ( or whatever ) "I design Type Faces"

Then turned and walked away.

Guy A. Person posted:

A quick google seems to indicate that the American Psychological Association were one of the last to shift to single space and that was in 2019. I also found references to the Associated Press's guide still using double space a few years back.

Jeeeesus Christ.

Guy A. Person posted:

It was probably mainly a thing with type-written documents.

Yeah, once you stop using monospaced typefaces ( which typewriters often required ) you no longer needed it. With those old documents it ads a bit of a visual breather after the period. Digital fonts have that breathing space built in.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 27, 2023

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

TERFherder posted:

I mean, I’ve done it since I was a kid, and I never had anyone tell me that I was doing anything wrong despite now being 27. Then again, I am a lawyer now, so maybe you have a point…

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Kaliedoscope posted:

I mean, I’ve done it since I was a kid, and I never had anyone tell me that I was doing anything wrong despite now being 27. Then again, I am a lawyer now, so maybe you have a point…

It is wrong, and you should feel bad about doing it. Although it might be required in legal documents, so who knows. Do you still use Word Perfect for court related documents? edit: For years, electronic documents in my state had to be submitted using word perfect.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 27, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Let's all agree that anyone who thinks it's ok to drop the Oxford Comma deserves the guillotine, chair, or rack.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't even really gently caress with fantasy much but both of Marlon James' recent books are dope Africa-based fantasy and NK Jemison writes some good poo poo too

I haven't read any of Jemisin's stuff since the Broken Earth trilogy (which was pretty good) because of the whole attack helicopter poo poo but I heard her new books about a bunch of Jack Hawksmoor type dudes and living cities or whatever are solid if you just need something fantasy enough to scratch an itch.

The Marlon James African folklore inspired books are loving fantastic and I cannot wait for the third one to drop. They're more in the vein of Delany swords and sandals speculative fiction than straight up fantasy but even if you're not specifically into any of those things they're probably still worth checking out. The political intrigue is pretty good too, if not on the same level as GOT but you get lots of fairly complex characters and factions with various motivations, flaws, etc driving the story that all feel fairly organic.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 27, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm going to start using 3 spaces after a period to spite you nerds. How's it feel?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm going to start using 3 spaces after a period to spite you nerds. How's it feel?

Pathetic, because all the extra white space is collapsed when displayed.   Try harder.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just tab ↹ . You coward.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I won't poo poo up the thread after this, but to me the challenge with books like these is that (going by Amazon) there are eleven of them at about 700 pages each. That's like five Wars and Peace.

This is such a big ask of the reader's time; just the other day I read M David Harrison's book The Pastel City, which is a sci-fi fantasy about a war between two countries using salvaged technology from prior civilizations. In the story the lead comes out of retirement, reunites him with his old companions, joins the war at a critical battle which the good guys lose, watches as the villains' technology turns on them, then learns the secret of that technology and journeys to put an end to the threat once and for all.

It's 176 pages long.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

porfiria posted:

I won't poo poo up the thread after this, but to me the challenge with books like these is that (going by Amazon) there are eleven of them at about 700 pages each. That's like five Wars and Peace.

This is such a big ask of the reader's time; just the other day I read M David Harrison's book The Pastel City, which is a sci-fi fantasy about a war between two countries using salvaged technology from prior civilizations. In the story the lead comes out of retirement, reunites him with his old companions, joins the war at a critical battle which the good guys lose, watches as the villains' technology turns on them, then learns the secret of that technology and journeys to put an end to the threat once and for all.

It's 176 pages long.

Yes, but did Harrison take to time to describe what everyone ate at every meal, or more importantly, describe, in detail, every female character's breasts, down to nipple size and color?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The ASoIaF books are long but not especially dense or challenging, you're not going to move through them at the pace you would War and Peace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Words are wind.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like concise books, I wrote one, but sometimes I want to settle into a large tome and just really get used to how that author constructs a world and its characters for a week or so. Takes ages and they usually get lost in the details and never finish it, like with oodles of fantasy series (including the manga Berserk, due to author death), but when they actually stick the landing its a feeling like no other.

At least there are examples of how GRRM finishes a story based on his earlier series.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

In Asoiaf the fun is honestly in getting to know all these characters and discovering their world, the plot itself is mostly generic fantasy things. At least until the author lost interest and stopped writing with half the plotlines still unresolved. So in this case it really has to be long, the Jaime story wouldn't work without lots of paragraphs about him looking at the beautiful night sky, the Sam story wouldn't work without going on about how cold it is and how fat he is, the Stannis part without all the various little nobles and courtiers giving some commentary, and so on. If ever a fantasy book had a right to be long, it's these ones.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the best parts of affc were mostly the very inconsquential jaunts through the crownlands and riverlands with brienne

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
GM showed his solidarity with the striking writers before it was cool.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the best parts of affc were mostly the very inconsquential jaunts through the crownlands and riverlands with brienne
Yeah Nimble Dick Crabb is the real mvp

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

porfiria posted:

Are you talking about Game of Thrones? The length isn't the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Bad news, GRRM isn't going to write

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1655589681948418050