Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Shibatarian 3

Yeah this is still really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Shibatarian protagonist is going to need so much therapy when this is all over.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shibatarian is really loving weird and I kinda love it. :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Black Clover

:sigh:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Akane-banashi: I keep forgetting that her dad isn't like, dead or absent or anything, lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, I really wish I still liked JJK.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sakamoto Days continues to be lowkey one of the funnest reads in Jump, loved him lassoing a car over the bridge and into good karma guy so he could borrow it after saving the drivers. Also the sudden super brutal punch, the author is really good at conveying stuff like the force of impacts.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Really good week of manga. I felt like we got a bunch of really solid to great chapters from a bunch of different series.

Terper posted:

Akane-banashi: I keep forgetting that her dad isn't like, dead or absent or anything, lol

Yeah, for someone who's been such an important part of the series, it's still weird he hasn't made an appearance since the first chapter.

But on the other hand, Akane is an adult here. It isn't like she's a junior high kid trying to break in, she's a pro who's already in the business. While I'd like to see him show up, it doesn't feel like it really needs to happen at the moment

Sakamoto Days: Sakamoto is so loving cool

Mashle: oh yeah, that's the good poo poo

Witch Watch: probably my favorite chapter in ages. I don't think I've ever since someone's tastes in women ever broken down to such a degree, especially in a shonen manga

Blue Box: Gotta love it when the romcom hits

Fabricant 100: manga's still sticking with its premise. 100 now being significantly less concerned about Ashibi's well-being now that he's Wolverine was a good reminder of that.

I really hope that this doesn't get canned :/

Kill Blue: okay, this is shaping up to be really fun. It's setting up Tobe more action-y as things get going, but I'd rather see Ogami focus on learning

Tenmaku Cinema: okay, this chapter is the hook I was looking for. We have direction, we have stakes, and we have a mystery to uncover. Hopefully things keep progressing on this level going forward

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

gently caress, the difference in quality between chapters of Mashle with and without Mash is absurd.

"Could a god have granted him power?"
*dramatic zoom in on the god*
"Yeah, I thought it would be funny"

But yeah Sakamoto remains the best thing in actual Jump. I don't think it's had a worse than good chapter in like a year. Just on a hell of a run atm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

But yeah Sakamoto remains the best thing in actual Jump. I don't think it's had a worse than good chapter in like a year. Just on a hell of a run atm.

Like a mythical Babe Ruth in quality. Nothing but home runs, even though the director assassin survived his fight with Sakamoto

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

And what counts as good for Sakamoto would be great for most other series. Like, today's chapter would be a huge moment for most other manga, but for Sakamoto, this is all happening in a flashback

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm worried One Piece is gonna get axed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Proud of Erg's ability to resurrect week-old posts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guys, I think they're gonna axe Katakana next month

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if we didn't get an issue at all next week!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cipher Academy - keeps doing these chapters where it tries to have these huge power of friendship moments. But, it just doesn't work because it expects the reader to be familiar with all these students who not only have confusing names, but also barely got any screentime to make you care about them. Just seems like the author focused too much on the gimmicks with having codes to break each chapter rather than doing necessary character work.

Witch Watch and Roboco - Maybe it's because of my mood or just because the series has been running a long time, but neither series has been gut-bustingly hilarious for a while now.

Kill Blue - I got a good laugh when the rear end in a top hat of the week turned out to be some redditor-rear end dude going :actually: on a middle school kid about their career choice.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

gently caress, the difference in quality between chapters of Mashle with and without Mash is absurd.

"Could a god have granted him power?"
*dramatic zoom in on the god*
"Yeah, I thought it would be funny"

God was right, that was funny. You know, in the anime the needle guy needs to wear a red robe. It cracks me up the Mangaka introduced someone specifically to kill him to demonstrate the power of Innocent zero.

Undead: Is doing a space horror thing now I guess?

Sakamoto: good seeing Sakamoto at full force.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 24, 2023

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

saw some new chapters were out and did my almost annual reread of Ragna Crimson. Man is that just good fun all over the place

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Guys, I think they're gonna axe Katakana next month

IMO Japanese should just get rid of katakana. It's unnecessary! Get rid of kanji too! Just have everything in hiragana - people can figure stuff out from context clues!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Cipher Academy - keeps doing these chapters where it tries to have these huge power of friendship moments. But, it just doesn't work because it expects the reader to be familiar with all these students who not only have confusing names, but also barely got any screentime to make you care about them. Just seems like the author focused too much on the gimmicks with having codes to break each chapter rather than doing necessary character work.

Witch Watch and Roboco - Maybe it's because of my mood or just because the series has been running a long time, but neither series has been gut-bustingly hilarious for a while now.

Kill Blue - I got a good laugh when the rear end in a top hat of the week turned out to be some redditor-rear end dude going :actually: on a middle school kid about their career choice.

I think that, like many of the code gimmicks, the character names in Cipher Academy work better to native Japanese speakers. I have trouble keeping track of the names myself, but that doesn’t mean Japanese readers have a problem with it.

The screentime point is more serious, though to be fair, I think the introduction crosswords are meant to provide a lot of characterization groundwork. The problem is that they’re tied to the character names, so the less memorable you find the names, the less memorable the characterization.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I think that, like many of the code gimmicks, the character names in Cipher Academy work better to native Japanese speakers. I have trouble keeping track of the names myself, but that doesn’t mean Japanese readers have a problem with it.

The screentime point is more serious, though to be fair, I think the introduction crosswords are meant to provide a lot of characterization groundwork. The problem is that they’re tied to the character names, so the less memorable you find the names, the less memorable the characterization.

From the TOC and sales, it seems Japanese audiences aren't big on it either.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

amigolupus posted:

I loled a lot at the recent ww where mori and kan were doing a comedy routine on a double date.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Huh, so I think it's pretty much confirmed that the nebulous "them" Toshiro was talking about in the last chapter were indeed other Beast clan users and almost certainly his older siblings. Also lmao, his older sister certainly threw a bombshell in front of Gero there. :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: Huh, so I think it's pretty much confirmed that the nebulous "them" Toshiro was talking about in the last chapter were indeed other Beast clan users and almost certainly his older siblings. Also lmao, his older sister certainly threw a bombshell in front of Gero there. :allears:
Why are evil women always hot?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sorry, did Vibration Man unironically go with a "goverment spiked the vaccenes" plotline in the year of our lord 2023?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm sorry, did Vibration Man unironically go with a "goverment spiked the vaccenes" plotline in the year of our lord 2023?!

lol oh nooooo. The first chapter was already very unimpressive, and I'm now even less inclined to read it than I already was

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Maybe I misread, I literally just skimmed it while walking the dog, but I thought the side effect was actually explicitly listed? Granted, it's still... an uncomfortable choice, for sure.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Maybe I misread, I literally just skimmed it while walking the dog, but I thought the side effect was actually explicitly listed? Granted, it's still... an uncomfortable choice, for sure.

LMAO Nope, the shadowy government was expositing at each other that they tampered with the vaccine and only those with latent superpowers will experience any side-effects. They sure as hell didn't tell the schools about that they spiked the drat things. We only see that the vaccines were labeled the exact same code that was in the paper proposing the superpower-manhunt project.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiju No. 8 is pretty fun. I've heard of an emotional support animal but not a weapon support animal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another chapter of Versus

https://po2scans.com/reader/644a8f2a36a18

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

amigolupus posted:

LMAO Nope, the shadowy government was expositing at each other that they tampered with the vaccine and only those with latent superpowers will experience any side-effects. They sure as hell didn't tell the schools about that they spiked the drat things. We only see that the vaccines were labeled the exact same code that was in the paper proposing the superpower-manhunt project.

Oh no :( Well, the manga sucks so far anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a guy who is either completely helpless or a walking natural disaster with nothing in between is kind of hard to get behind. he's a standard plucky underdog and i can't help but think he should immediately give up.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is like thrice now that people had to recap to each other about how their monsters are the worst and they can maybe get them to fight each other, it's ridiculous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

This is like thrice now that people had to recap to each other about how their monsters are the worst and they can maybe get them to fight each other, it's ridiculous.

It'd be ridiculous in a weekly series. Monthly, it's something beyond that.

The plot has lost all momentum in a way the slowest fight scene in One Punch Man hasn't managed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

It'd be ridiculous in a weekly series. Monthly, it's something beyond that.

The plot has lost all momentum in a way the slowest fight scene in One Punch Man hasn't managed.

ONE should be forced to draw his own stories so he wont pad them out ridiculously.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I've power browsed these long talking chapters in versus. Didn't seem like there were really many good gags or jokes and it's hard to care about this group as i don't know yet who the manga is gonna focus on.

it would lowkey be a very funny gag if the entire manga was just all the humans endlessly quibbling at this table rehashing the same stuff every month and then the final chapter is them setting out on some big plan only to find out their natural enemies mutually destroyed themselves off screen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Versus sucks, it's not interesting or humorous. People are just giving it the benefit of the doubt because of ONE'S reputation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

Versus sucks, it's not interesting or humorous. People are just giving it the benefit of the doubt because of ONE'S reputation.

pretty much.
It started off decent enough and the premise was good though.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well it looks like stuff is finally going to happen now.