Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

drainpipe posted:

Wait til you learn about ciabatta
Googling it it seems pretty cool that someone in the 1980s was just like "I'm going to invent a cool new bread" and they did and it was so successful that everyone assumes it's a traditional thing, in the vein of Funiculì, Funiculà

We should all be paying bread royalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mystes posted:

We should all be paying bread royalties

No flaxation without rebreadsentation imo

I had no idea ciabatta was invented so recently though, that's really cool.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Cardini used golden tongs for the entire process, but if you don't have a pair of gold tongs you can use regular ones.

You can, but the gold tongs make the difference between merely eating, and dining

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If you guys are looking for Caesar dressing riffs, you can make a really good vegetarian one with white miso instead of anchovy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Do you keep the rest of it the same? I feel like with the miso you might not need the parm

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

drainpipe posted:

Wait til you learn about ciabatta

:2monocle:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Do you keep the rest of it the same? I feel like with the miso you might not need the parm

You can leave out the parm and even the egg if you must, but i like keeping them in there. Great on roasted veggies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Miso is also good on toast if you run out of Vegemite.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Miso butter toast soldiers with soft boiled eggs is the breakfast of kings

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miso butter toast soldiers with soft boiled eggs is the breakfast of kings

Tell me more.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Dip the miso buttered toast sticks in the egg and then regret not making more toast is how I do it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Marmite toast soldiers with soft boiled eggs is the breakfast of kings

:hmmyes:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yes yes,but what kind if miso? How much? Do you also butter the toast or is the miso in place of butter?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Licking off the spatula:
Tired: frosting
Wired: cookie dough
Inspired:

Hell yeah green garlic season! Pesto :cool:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 30, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Licking off the spatula:
Tired: frosting
Wired: cookie dough
Inspired:

Hell yeah green garlic season! Pesto :cool:

Yeah! We were in the countryside on holiday over Easter and the property were were renting had lots. And when we went on a country walk there were absolute carpets of the stuff. Never seen so much. We made a wild garlic omelette, added it to a new potato, broad bean, feta and mint salad, and made an incredible pistou for a soup. I had wanted to do a straight pesto too. I love wild garlic.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Miso is also good on toast if you run out of Vegemite.

White, yellow, and red? or one more than the other?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve hit a huge roadblock in my desire/ability to cook. I blame it on a stressful job and a 2 year old and 4.5 year old who only like a handful of things I cook. Whenever I do put effort into a dish, either the kids have a meltdown so I can’t enjoy it/it’s too cold by the time I’m ready to eat, or they just refuse to eat it and then I’m dealing with them instead of enjoying the food. Half the time we fall back on them eating chicken nuggets or whatever while I make a portion for the wife and I. As long as it’s not meltdown city, that method can work.

Anyone experienced something similar? The only really days with prep time are the weekends or an occasional weekday. Besides that it’s usually 30 minutes to get something on the table. I don’t mind a bit of prep the night before, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nwin posted:

I’ve hit a huge roadblock in my desire/ability to cook. I blame it on a stressful job and a 2 year old and 4.5 year old who only like a handful of things I cook. Whenever I do put effort into a dish, either the kids have a meltdown so I can’t enjoy it/it’s too cold by the time I’m ready to eat, or they just refuse to eat it and then I’m dealing with them instead of enjoying the food. Half the time we fall back on them eating chicken nuggets or whatever while I make a portion for the wife and I. As long as it’s not meltdown city, that method can work.

Anyone experienced something similar? The only really days with prep time are the weekends or an occasional weekday. Besides that it’s usually 30 minutes to get something on the table. I don’t mind a bit of prep the night before, though.
Oh, absolutely. Husband and I were foodies, babies happily ate leftovers from adult meals, then whammo! Food opinions appeared.

What did we do? We surrendered. We figured out meals that were mix-your-own like tacos. If one kid only ate guacamole and the other one only ate cheese, at least they'd eaten. Same with chili. A local restaurant had a chili special that we stole: chili was served with spaghetti, cheese, sour cream, and a side dish of spicy cooked peppers for the adults to use. If child only ate spaghetti and cheese, again, fine, they got fed. (Multivitamins are your friend in these years.) Another big hit was English-style curry, with side dishes of peanuts, coconut, chopped egg, dried fruits, and so on. You got to put your own stuff on your plate. Rice was always acceptable, and they would usually decide they wanted one or more of the mix-ins. Basically, when you give a child control over a complicated meal, they're happier (if not always happy) and you're happier because you can get the food that you want. And long-term, they try more of the non-bland stuff as their palates broaden.

And I swear to you, this, too, shall pass. By the time the younger child was eleven he was ordering smoked trout in a restaurant to find out what it tasted like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been cooking my eggs in a way that I'm not sure there is a name for, but also there is no way I invented it and I'm curious is it's already a thing, because it has to be. Basically I hate fried eggs, because imo crunchy or browned or rubbery is not a texture I want anywhere near an egg. So I just use about 1/4 inch of water in place of oil and simmer them with the lid on. It's essentially just poaching them except in the shape of a fried egg. Anyone know what the name for this is? If there is one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, those are basted eggs and they’re incredible. I do mine for 2:30 at a low simmer for a perfect medium jamminess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Perfect, Thanks!

Yeah looking that up it's exactly how I started doing it. I should just go back to starting the fry and adding the water later. Starting them off in water is a little finicky and they can stick. So much better than regular fried eggs either way though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nwin posted:

I was not a particularly picky eater growing up, but several of my cousins were. The lesson my aunts and uncles learned was:

A - Getting the kid fed is more important than making sure the kid eats a perfect meal.
B - Don't worry about about a balanced meal, or even a balanced day - try for a balanced week. If that fails, refer back to A.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One more tip: make Chinese fried chicken bits a la General Tso's, make a vegetable stir fry separately, kids eat homemade chicken nuggets, plus any bits of the stir fry they're willing to pick out. Again, separate highly flavored sauce for adults.

When my children were only a little older than yours, they were excited by looking at the pictures in children's cookbooks and picking out things they could help make. Our son found an Israeli recipe for "lemon chicken" that we make to this day. He just turned thirty.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 1, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

All the above are amazing and I am glad to hear it for my almost 3yo.

What has worked for us is soy sauce rice or butter noodles as a standard every meal. Everything else gets a tiny portion on his plate or in tiny cups - metal sauce cups and silicone cupcake liners are both really useful.

Refill his plate only when he asks - so he may really like strawberries but after asking for more strawberries 5 times he may try that falafel because it's easier than asking again.

We never ask him to eat or try anything - only to interact in other ways. Identify, cut into a smaller piece please, put on a toothpick. Sometimes he follows that small action by eating, sometimes not. If all else fails, I'll skewer a piece and say "for childname or daddy?" and eat it if he says it's for me. Repeat a couple times and he sees it's safe and often but not nearly always has one bite just so he breaks up the "for daddy" pattern.

Key equipment have been small but real metal silverware, real plates, aforementioned tiny cups, animal shaped toothpicks. Oh and air fryer, so making his frequent nuggets and fries is easy as possible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cheese sauce and deep frying were the two things that my mom did that got me to eat anything (not at the same time)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Restaurant Depot started letting the public shop there when COVID hit (restaurants stopped buying because they were closed and groceries were empty because of panic shoppers), they’ll give you a one day pass if you show them your drivers license

Sadly I went today and was told they don't do that anymore, you need to be a member which requires a business license :( I can't believe how hard Diamond Crystal has been to find. It's such a small thing, but using Morton's kosher has really thrown my salting for a loop, things are either too salty, or not salty enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gah, that must be recent. I last went there like 6 months ago

What a bummer. They had some amazing stuff

Edit: the thing I do to make my Diamond last longer is that I have plain granulated salt and Diamond salt in little custard cups by the stove and I’ll use the granulated salt whenever I can. That way you’ll have less trips to go looking for Diamond

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 1, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carillon posted:

Sadly I went today and was told they don't do that anymore, you need to be a member which requires a business license :( I can't believe how hard Diamond Crystal has been to find. It's such a small thing, but using Morton's kosher has really thrown my salting for a loop, things are either too salty, or not salty enough.

Why not just get it on Amazon?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

therattle posted:

Yes yes,but what kind if miso? How much? Do you also butter the toast or is the miso in place of butter?

Roughly equal parts miso and soft butter mixed together and then butter the toast with it. Whatever miso is fine

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Carillon posted:

White, yellow, and red? or one more than the other?

Whatever you've got. For me it's usually white miso, but it's all fine. Miso is way more versatile in western cooking than most people conceive of.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Roughly equal parts miso and soft butter mixed together and then butter the toast with it. Whatever miso is fine

Ta. I’ve got some darker misos and find them WAY more intense than sweet white miso.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This might be cooking heresy but recently I’ve been big into cooking pasta in a pan with all the flavors in there with it. About 3oz of pasta, a cup of water, drizzle of olive oil and some salt, then just throw in whatever you want it to taste like. Today for lunch I did some capers, a spoon of pesto and a spoon of garlic crisp, and it was fantastic. All of it reduces together with the starchy pasta water so it comes out with a kind of creamy sauce. Throw in a bit of parm and basil at the end and have a good meal.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hell yeah. People get so fussy about pasta decorum but you can totally cook that poo poo one-pan style.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anno posted:

This might be cooking heresy but recently I’ve been big into cooking pasta in a pan with all the flavors in there with it. About 3oz of pasta, a cup of water, drizzle of olive oil and some salt, then just throw in whatever you want it to taste like. Today for lunch I did some capers, a spoon of pesto and a spoon of garlic crisp, and it was fantastic. All of it reduces together with the starchy pasta water so it comes out with a kind of creamy sauce. Throw in a bit of parm and basil at the end and have a good meal.

Fresh pasta, or dried?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

So far I’ve only tried with normal rear end Aldi’s boxed dry linguine

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anno posted:

I don't morally object to this but it's going to be hard to ensure the pasta is the correct doneness and the liquid is sufficiently reduced at the same time

If there's too much water you're going to be wasteful with the other ingredients you add to flavor the liquid sufficiently (if you dump parm into the water especially you're going to waste parm flavoring water that you're going to dump)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 1, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

I don't morally object to this but it's going to be hard to ensure the pasta is the correct doneness and the liquid is sufficiently reduced at the same time

If there's too much water you're going to be wasteful with the other ingredients you add to flavor the liquid sufficiently (if you dump parm into the water especially you're going to waste parm flavoring water that you're going to dump)

yeah, this was my concern too. Or you wait until the water level is correct at which point the pasta may be overcooked. One could titrate it to that one had the correct ratio of water to pasta worked (eg 1 cup water to 100g pasta) but but that might take some trial and error.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you don't want to have to boil the pasta separately but can plan in advance, you might be better off rehydrating it in advance which apparently makes it behave like fresh pasta so it can just cook it quickly in a sauce in a couple minutes

I haven't tried that yet though

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

mystes posted:

So I do a variant of this for all my Midwest pasta casseroles. The trick is to treat it like a risotto and just add hot stock/liquid slowly. I find conchigli, farfalle, or penne to work the best. Once the pasta hits al dente, add your veg, fresh herbs, cheese/protein of choice and bake for 20 minutes at 350. I tend to add a splash of vermouth in, as well as extra stock depending on how saucy I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What's the point when you blend it into nutraloaf afterwards, I don't think the texture will matter??