Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

Remember a year ago, when you were convinced after the draft that Bears management had decided that Fields wasn't the guy, even though Poles was like three months into his new job?

Nirwad is smart to default to the Bears hosed up.

just an absolutely insane like 80% hit rate even when the logic is suspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Nirwad is smart to default to the Bears hosed up.

just an absolutely insane like 80% hit rate even when the logic is suspect

I hate to defer to Brad Biggs, who is an absolutely terrible beat writer, but they have:

- Hired Kevin Warren as president, and he has a track record of success, as opposed to Ted Phillips, who was the McCaskeys' personal accountant.
- Hired Ryan Poles, who has a pretty good track record of personnel evaluation and is realistic about this being a three-year rebuild.
- Hired Eberflus, who seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
- Dumped a lot of dead weight.

I don't expect to see the Bears in the playoffs this season, but they're going to be in the running for the NFC Championship in 2024. They're in the right direction.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Remember a year ago, when you were convinced after the draft that Bears management had decided that Fields wasn't the guy, even though Poles was like three months into his new job?

Yeah, I think if Fields had been bad, they would have drafted a QB this year (heck, if Caleb Williams was in this draft they would have taken him). Remember when they made a bad panic trade for a mediocre receiver at the deadline because they were so embarrassed by how little help Fields was getting?

Poles was pretty clear that he not tied to anyone when he came in. He traded Mack and Roquan. If Fields hadn't balled out, they would have moved on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Remember when they made a bad panic trade for a mediocre receiver at the deadline because they were so embarrassed by how little help Fields was getting?

:lol: at you 1) changing your story and 2) continuing to scream about the Claypool trade.

You were literally claiming that the Bears had already decided that Fields wasn't their quarterback last year.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Alright, got some theories about what the Packers are doing with their ten (10) remaining picks:

- Safety x2 (Amos is gone and Savage is inconsistent) <-- Ji'Ayir Brown?
- Offensive tackle (Bakhtiari is probably gone after this year)
- Running back (Jones is probably gone after this year)
- Tight end (probably a blocker to replace Lewis)
- Quarterback (do we even have a backup?)
- Kicker (Crosby will die soon)
- Defensive line (generic depth)
- Interior o-line (generic depth)
- Wide receiver (generic depth)

surf rock fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 29, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

:lol: at you 1) changing your story and 2) continuing to scream about the Claypool trade.

You were literally claiming that the Bears had already decided that Fields wasn't their quarterback last year.

I said they weren't committed to him which was evident by the fact they gave him no help whatsoever. Do you really think Poles thought Fields was the franchise QB when he took over?

And yeah, the Claypool trade was bad.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

surf rock posted:

Alright, got some theories about what the Packers are doing with their ten (10) remaining picks:

- Safety x2 (Amos is gone and Savage is inconsistent) <-- Ji'Ayir Brown?
- Offensive tackle (Bakhtiari is probably gone after this year)
- Running back (Jones is probably gone after this year)
- Tight end (probably a blocker to replace Lewis)
- Quarterback (do we even have a backup?)
- Kicker (Crosby will die soon)
- Defensive line (generic depth)
- Interior o-line (generic depth)
- Wide receiver (generic depth)

Crosby is a free agent at the moment and might not even be back.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Yo this pick rules.

two TEs and both are amazing

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Well, there's the second TE pick. Again, I guess either people think Washington is just a blocker or his medicals were poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

I said they weren't committed to him which was evident by the fact they gave him no help whatsoever.

Poles was ripping the team down to the studs in the wall. He had to get out of the cap and roster hell that Pace left him with.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Packers have scouted the Dakotas thoroughly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Holmes played the long game.

https://twitter.com/justin_rogers/status/1652131304572440576?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
pick was worth it just for this image

https://twitter.com/DrawPlayDave/status/1652124547829866496?t=drltieXoRVXtToGeGXwQhQ&s=19

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The lions had a funny but very cool draft.

Love getting a QB that is not Tim Boyle, Mr. Blough or Nate Sudfeld

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Will be happy with Adebawore, Ringo, Rush, Henley, or Washington despite the knees

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

Will be happy with Adebawore, Ringo, Rush, Henley, or Washington despite the knees

I think the fact Washington is still on the board is a sign that his medicals are real bad.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Niwrad posted:

I think the fact Washington is still on the board is a sign that his medicals are real bad.
Probably, but I'd take the swing (unless it's heart/imminent retirement). He and Hock'll make it tough to go nickel and that's an issue with Jefferson and Addison (my mixed feelings aside)...

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
102, 164, 222. We'll see how it turns out. There are a lot of interchangable CBs on the board

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scipiotik posted:

The Lions have backed rear end backwards into a really good draft even by mock draft standards.

They conceivably could have gotten the same players in near reverse order lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Interesting breakdown on the pick and the player:

https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/1652138387065716736?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I love the Bears draft, just the most meat and potatoes rear end draft.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfpwsb4icY

haha Grossi knows you don't deal with Brad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't express how happy I am with this draft already, this might be even better than the 2022 draft.

wOrST gM EVeR

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Danny LaFever posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfpwsb4icY

haha Grossi knows you don't deal with Brad.

If the Packers don't go safety in the fourth round, I wonder if they try to bring back Amos. He's still on the free agent market, and safeties are cheap, so it might be feasible even with little cap space.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Lions just traded up to get a DT, Brad Holmes is a madman and I love him

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Dexo posted:

Clear that Poles came in with a plan and is executing on that plan. Complementary DTs, a physical CB, and someone to keep Fields clean for the love of God. Gotta coach the first three up, no question, but there's a lot of upside and good tools here.

Meat and potatoes, sure, but it is refreshing after the clownshow we previously had.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1652132508908113920

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ryan poles you have made an enemy today

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Poles was ripping the team down to the studs in the wall. He had to get out of the cap and roster hell that Pace left him with.

I have nothing against Poles. I just don't think GMs should get credit for tearing down teams and "acquiring assets". That's just poo poo on paper and easy to do.

And I'm not knocking the strategy at all. If that's what it takes to build a winning team, that's what it takes. I did think they should have given Fields a little more help last season to speed up development. But he'll ultimately be judged by the results, not hypotheticals. We'll find out next season how well he's doing as this team should improve considerably.

I just think it's weird that some of you won't admit that the Claypool trade was bad. I mean I'll give a pass to those who think 26 year old Velus Jones just needs time to develop, but no one would seriously take a season of Claypool over the 32nd pick in the draft.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

adebawore is plunging, what the hell is wrong with him

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

My sources say he's not from a reputable college program, I'm afraid.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

surf rock posted:

My sources say he's not from a reputable college program, I'm afraid.

man i walked into that one

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

lol gently caress, I wanted Moody

I mean, I didn't want Moody in the third round, but I wanted him

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Yeah, it's nice to not be trading up for some wide receiver and actually having picks. Just load up in the trenches. Everything is easier when you have talent up front on both sides of the ball.

Maybe it doesn't matter but I do feel a little better drafting SEC guys who have played elite competition.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Niwrad posted:

I have nothing against Poles. I just don't think GMs should get credit for tearing down teams and "acquiring assets". That's just poo poo on paper and easy to do.

And I'm not knocking the strategy at all. If that's what it takes to build a winning team, that's what it takes. I did think they should have given Fields a little more help last season to speed up development. But he'll ultimately be judged by the results, not hypotheticals. We'll find out next season how well he's doing as this team should improve considerably.

I just think it's weird that some of you won't admit that the Claypool trade was bad. I mean I'll give a pass to those who think 26 year old Velus Jones just needs time to develop, but no one would seriously take a season of Claypool over the 32nd pick in the draft.

Was it a bit of a panic trade and might I prefer having the 32nd after seeing how far some guys fell? Sure, but hindsight is 20/20.

I think the help on the OL + Moore/Mooney free up Claypool (and even Jones) a little more. I'm trusting the process until I'm given a better reason not to trust the process.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know what happened to the Bears 5th round pick? It shows they have Baltimore's from the Roquan trade but I can't find information on what happened to their 5th.

Seems they will pick 1st tomorrow but traded their other 4th to move up 5 spots in the 2nd tonight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

His tape is rear end lol.

Largely due to Northwestern literally having a bunch of me's out there next to him on defense, but yeah.

I guess teams don't think just putting him at one position and letting him learn it is gonna make him better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/status/1652121510524379137

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the Bears 5th round pick? It shows they have Baltimore's from the Roquan trade but I can't find information on what happened to their 5th.

Seems they will pick 1st tomorrow but traded their other 4th to move up 5 spots in the 2nd tonight.

They traded their 5th (136) and still have the second 4th (133)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

high rizz