Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

ETURNA posted:

Agree on all points. The panel featuring Zodd stands out to me since he appears to be ruminating in the background as opposed to kneeling before Griffith like the other apostles. Not a lot to go on... could be nothing in the end.

I imagine Zodd may have mixed feelings about being saddled with dual bodyguard/babysitter duties for Griffith/moon child. Whether anything comes of that depends on if Miura had a clear idea for it, and if Mori remembers that idea. It's also likely that it's just a throwaway shot to establish continuity with the last chapter, showing that Zodd is around but not a factor in the scene.

One could argue that they bit off more than they could chew with the non-linear narrative—I've seen more than a few people confused by it—but the paneling here is an improvement over recent releases, and the art is confident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Casca does have a brand. Any apostles in her area probably have to choke back a little hunger pang, even the less feral ones that Griffith hangs with.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Didn't Flora make it essentially mundane or just suppress it?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The way Zodd’s face was drawn looked a little odd and Griffith looks too obviously evil when drawn by anyone not Miura. I thought Casca was drawn well. Still don’t feel as invested in the story anymore but still curious to see how it pans out

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That's def a mislabeled url of an earlier chapter.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

While it remains to be seen where things are going, I think this chapter is a pretty good sign

- Casca is not completely passive or resigned, goes Rules of Nature on guy, and admittedly got an absolutely amazing dress
- Griffith doesn't bother to be a creep at Casca - she's safely locked up, that's all he cares about now; and he's immediately back to lusting after more conquest
- Griffith to the East - is that where the assassin fortress is?
- Zodd continuing to stand out

Zodd is a bit off-model, I would say, he almost looks like a thoughtful Guts from the first dozen chapters. But I'll take a bit of inconsistency here and there.
Now, the huge epic fights against Apostel forms, THAT'S what I'm truly waiting for... Can the team deliver the same kind of visceral metal-album-cover vibe? To me, the fights of Berserk are one of the most stand-out marks of quality; they are ridiculous and epic, every impact seems to shatter the page it's on, it presents eldritch abominations fantastically, and above all, it's almost unexpectedly clever. Too many artists deliver weak fights that look cool, but there is no substance beneath it; things happen for no reason, nobody deserves an action, it does not tie into the characters, it does not feel justified or earned. For what should be a series that could coast by on HUGE SWORDS HUGE DEMONS HUGE GORE, it's almost weirdly intricate.

So, guess we'll see. I really hope this'll be good.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My read was that Zodd looking a lot like Guts was a deliberate artistic choice. Zodd is realising he has a lot more in common with Guts than his boss, and Zodd is filling in a Guts shaped hole in the band for Griffith. The way Griffith recruited him by beating him up fairly directly mirrors the recruitment of Guts, as well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That’s an unfortunate issue of it not being drawn by Miura, I’ll always question if things about the art are intentional or mistakes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That's def a mislabeled url of an earlier chapter.

It’s a common problem with Berserk. The first 15 or chapters weren’t actually numbered so “chapter 1” is actually about halfway through volume 5 (I think that’s probably about when Monthly Animal House ended, and Berserk started being published in Young Animal)

Anyway go to any anime/manga site and there’s good chance things will be off by that many chapters or people will be discussing the wrong chapter in any given thread

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Tarnished Guts needs to burn that Erdtree

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It is still berserk in that there are lots of pretty pages and then somehow not much has happened while we can infer a lot has in a single chapter even if some of the art invites more discussion than Miura's art would have. Still pleased that they're continuing this I guess.

Chapter chat below

It seems to me that Griffith stole Casca as just another gently caress you to Guts. He locked her in a cage and seems to have overlaid some kind of fantasia mind magic to try and keep her docile. Beyond her being one of his sacrifices, he still doesn't really seem to care as much about her as he does what he can do with her to gently caress with Guts. It was hard to say if he had designs of his own for wanting her back, but this last chapter, to me, lays out that she's still just a tool for him to harm Guts with (it worked real drat well that bastard). Now that he has her he's thrown her in the corner to wait until he needs to bust her out to gently caress with him again.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 1, 2023

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I always figured that the moon child in Griffith wants to keep Caska, his mom, close and safe which is why Griffith going through all this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think Griffith is just tired of randomly loving off every full moon or so

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
There is a part in Griffith that still has affection for Cascas, his mother/sister, so he has to keep her locked away so no one could use her against him. I think he also still loves Guts but moving against him would only elevate Guts to his equal by Griffiths own definition.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He definitely still has feelings for Guts. Despite telling him at the hill of swords that he's now free of his attachment, the sight of Guts and Zodd fighting made his his heart race and after the fight with cloud Ganishka Griffith is staring past the carnage directly at Guts. While kidnapping Casca definitely has a practical component in that as the moonchild he's now not going to wander off to who knows where, it also certainly has an emotional component for Griffith as well in that his "taking back" Casca from Guts once again asserts Griffith's twisted sense of dominance over him.

I am a bit confused about what was real and what as an illusion of the dream in this chapter. Was everything but her briefly waking up and attacking the guards dream poo poo, or is Griffith just using the dreams to put her in a stupor and otherwise she actually is getting to wander around as a noble lady? The art is definitely improving in terms of being on model but I think the paneling and just general flow are still kind of lacking.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The story continues to feel like somebody sitting on the fast forward button for these reboot chapters. But that’s okay, I guess.

You can definitely tell that the story is now just a bullet list of major beats that were communicated to Mori by Miura with the major priority always being to to hit the next bullet with everything in between getting rushed. Which yeah is fine, I'd go out on a limb and say Mori probably isn't comfortable editorializing too much beyond what Miura and his assistants told him and so the connective tissue between the bits that were Miura's is fairly loose.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was never going to be as interesting and fascinating as Berserk was under Miura.

Them bee lining it to Griffith getting hosed up is fine by me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oof, poor Guts. Also, random attack in the middle of the ocean.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oof, poor Guts. Also, random attack in the middle of the ocean.

Rough spot for our heros no doubt.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Possibly due to a filing error Miura is credited as the main author in this art book about Charles Vess. I’m not sure if that’s because Vess mentions Miura as an influence, or Miura was a fan of Vess and helped get an art book published through dark horse, or some other reason. Tempted to buy this book though

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/741951.Drawing_Down_the_Moon

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So, I'm a massive massive newbie when it comes to Berserk and only came around to it like three years ago? Anyway, why hadn't Guts ever had his blade like enchanted if he has armor that allows him to go all out was it ever brought up story wise that like "hey Guts I heard if you take your giant sword to some dude that can give it some mystical edge, or if you go kill this certain mythical beast it could something something power up."

Like I get the whole thing being how helpless you feel in the face of unimaginable terror and evil but preservering sometimes no matter the cost and even then it may not make a difference in the end.

To have him wear an armor that will most likely consume him but also enables him to fight those horrors it's kinda weird to me he hasn't upgraded his only weapon to that sort of boost with a massive risk to it. It also seems less likely to happen after what happened to that island.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jiro posted:

So, I'm a massive massive newbie when it comes to Berserk and only came around to it like three years ago? Anyway, why hadn't Guts ever had his blade like enchanted if he has armor that allows him to go all out was it ever brought up story wise that like "hey Guts I heard if you take your giant sword to some dude that can give it some mystical edge, or if you go kill this certain mythical beast it could something something power up."

Like I get the whole thing being how helpless you feel in the face of unimaginable terror and evil but preservering sometimes no matter the cost and even then it may not make a difference in the end.

To have him wear an armor that will most likely consume him but also enables him to fight those horrors it's kinda weird to me he hasn't upgraded his only weapon to that sort of boost with a massive risk to it. It also seems less likely to happen after what happened to that island.

That's what's happened already. He's killed so many apostles with it that the weapon has a presence in the astral realm and would actually give him a (tiny) chance in a fight with a member of the Godhand

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
His weapon is already embedded with od as a result of where the ore came from, and ultimately Berserk ain't DBZ. No super power ups, no real training montages (outside of Guts cutting logs in the waterfall). Just gore, betrayal, and causality.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Skull Knight tried the upgraded weapon thing and it didn't do crap except serve Griffiths purpose. Guts has a magic sword already due to, as the posters before me said, the metal it's made from, and being used to kill thousands of apostles and magical things. It's probably as powerful as you can get as a weapon in this circumstance because, like Guts, it shouldn't really exist (someone wandering around killing a ton of apostles only happened because that person escaped fate), and thus may be the only thing that might work on the God hand.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You can’t even call it a sword, really

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also
The most recent events in the manga cast doubts on whether direct combat is even possible

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 4, 2023

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also
The most recent events in the manga cast doubts on whether direct combat is even possible

Unless your name is Rickert

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Griffith can resist sword, but can he resist Gun?!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He sure as poo poo can't resist slap

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shinjobi posted:

He sure as poo poo can't resist slap

He is successfully slapped twice in the series, checks out.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Guts just needs to smack Griffith with the flat of his sword then. Maybe hard enough that he gets splattered against the scenery like Saitama did to Mosquito Woman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lamebot posted:

Guts just needs to smack Griffith with the flat of his sword then. Maybe hard enough that he gets splattered against the scenery like Saitama did to Mosquito Woman.

Griffith..... sucks!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He made a few mistakes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think sometimes about how like every panel of Griffith Miura drew is perfect avatar material but you never, ever it used because of how distasteful it'd be

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wait this is still going on? I thought the author died. I guess I'll have to catch up someday

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

RC Cola posted:

Wait this is still going on? I thought the author died. I guess I'll have to catch up someday

He did die, but a friend of his had enough notes to go from to try and reach the originally intended end.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

No Dignity posted:

I think sometimes about how like every panel of Griffith Miura drew is perfect avatar material but you never, ever it used because of how distasteful it'd be

....I have often used Griffith for my avatars and my email is a reference to his name in the outtakes in the dub..

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Diabetic posted:

....I have often used Griffith for my avatars and my email is a reference to his name in the outtakes in the dub..

detachable penis?

edit: oh poo poo that was from AMV Hell. What a time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkvX6iy7VmA

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I decided to sit down and just read the whole manga this last month. Am I wrong, or do we never actually see Casca win a fight?

I want to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bug Squash posted:

Unless your name is Rickert

How can he slap?!