Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Really want to make Blue Mage go crazy in SoP but it seems like it really demands a lot of gear min maxing to get there. Particularly wanting Blue Magic MP Cost reduction on gear. Don't even know where to begin with how to hunt and craft gear with the very specific stuff you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFTA, too!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Running out of stuff to do in FF6, just the the two towers and I hate Fanatic's lol good for AP grinding though.

I remember there being like more to this game but it really is just kinda the cliff notes version of a larger story lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chaos is based and im tired of pretending he isnt

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Really want to make Blue Mage go crazy in SoP but it seems like it really demands a lot of gear min maxing to get there. Particularly wanting Blue Magic MP Cost reduction on gear. Don't even know where to begin with how to hunt and craft gear with the very specific stuff you want.

I think you basically just progress through the rift or do boss fight missions on the world map with the highest dragon trials you can manage. I guess you could farm the stymied Malboro once you get to dlc 3 and can really crank up the trials. There isn’t a good way to target farm specific affixes that I’m aware of. One thing you absolutely should do, though, is change your loot filter to pick up all loot. Chaos effects can roll on anything — they don’t care about rarity. So pick up absolutely every piece of gear and periodically use the search to find the affixes you want, then fuse them onto the gear with the affinities you need for your build and salvage everything else.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there were people who doubted jack when the game was first announced and now they are all dead
I doubted Jack

but after the first trailer all the content they put out made it very clear that Jack was handled perfectly and they nailed the execution of what should have been a lovely one-note joke idea

so I do not regret my doubts but I was a believer long before the game even came out

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Started 13-2 and I am just very very confused so far, the moogle is very good tho

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kullik posted:

Started 13-2 and I am just very very confused so far, the moogle is very good tho

I was very confused too so here's a tldr version of what actually happened after 13:

Etro (one of the gods the pope hat guy was trying to get to show up) yoinked lightning out of the timeline and everyone thinks she died or some poo poo during the ending. Except her sister. Time starts breaking shortly after, Noel gets sent to beach town, and Serah and Noel go on time hopping adventures together.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Mustached Demon posted:

I was very confused too so here's a tldr version of what actually happened after 13:

Etro (one of the gods the pope hat guy was trying to get to show up) yoinked lightning out of the timeline and everyone thinks she died or some poo poo during the ending. Except her sister. Time starts breaking shortly after, Noel gets sent to beach town, and Serah and Noel go on time hopping adventures together.

Ah I see thanks for that, so this is about the Mandela effect and the final boss will be the Berenstain bears

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kullik posted:

Ah I see thanks for that, so this is about the Mandela effect and the final boss will be the Berenstain bears

Yup you're all set up nicely for 13-2 and Lightning Returns.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is it just understood that every time you change classes in FF3 you need to grind immediately? Maybe not for attackers but having magic users start with no spell slots is brutal

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kullik posted:

Unironically yes

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Crisis Core reunion sure is a video game. I never played the PSP version but it's... Okay? I understand there must have been limitations of the PSP when it came out but boy is there padding with these missions. I can imagine the game must be quite short if you ignore as much as you can and just go for the main story. it's funny because I've just come off of a Bloodborne playthrough and the combat feels kind of similar, just with no stamina bar to worry about so it's been fairly easy with no game overs except when biting off more than I can chew in the missions. Is there a chapter select once you beat the game like with FF7R? I'd like another shot at the shell game to try and perfect it but if the only way is a new playthrough I might shelve my plans to platinum this and move on to an FF7R + DLC playthrough.

Also question for anyone who got the PS5 upgrade from PS4 for FF7R - I installed the PS4 version on to my PS5 (well, my external SSD that I keep PS4 stuff on) and it let me download the upgrade which was ~80gb. Can I uninstall the PS4 version off of my SSD and play the download or do I need to keep both installed? I think I can but I just wanted to check.

I don't know what the gently caress this is though but it's going to haunt my dreams:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

after being frustrated for years at how little (if any?) FFTA/2 merch is available, i finally made my own

Looks rad!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DeadButDelicious posted:

Crisis Core reunion sure is a video game. I never played the PSP version but it's... Okay? I understand there must have been limitations of the PSP when it came out but boy is there padding with these missions.

The thing to remember about Crisis Core is that it was a handheld game. All those short missions existed to allow you to play the game in a short burst and then put it away to do other things.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

DeadButDelicious posted:

Crisis Core reunion sure is a video game. I never played the PSP version but it's... Okay? I understand there must have been limitations of the PSP when it came out but boy is there padding with these missions. I can imagine the game must be quite short if you ignore as much as you can and just go for the main story. it's funny because I've just come off of a Bloodborne playthrough and the combat feels kind of similar, just with no stamina bar to worry about so it's been fairly easy with no game overs except when biting off more than I can chew in the missions. Is there a chapter select once you beat the game like with FF7R? I'd like another shot at the shell game to try and perfect it but if the only way is a new playthrough I might shelve my plans to platinum this and move on to an FF7R + DLC playthrough.

Also question for anyone who got the PS5 upgrade from PS4 for FF7R - I installed the PS4 version on to my PS5 (well, my external SSD that I keep PS4 stuff on) and it let me download the upgrade which was ~80gb. Can I uninstall the PS4 version off of my SSD and play the download or do I need to keep both installed? I think I can but I just wanted to check.

I don't know what the gently caress this is though but it's going to haunt my dreams:

EMBRACE YOUR DREAMS

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Theotus posted:

EMBRACE YOUR DREAMS

Nightmares are also dreams.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DeadButDelicious posted:

Theres no chapter select, if you miss anything in a story mission there's no going back. You can delete the PS4 version.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mr. Locke posted:

Nightmares are also dreams.

The gift. Of...the Goddess.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Dr Pepper posted:

The thing to remember about Crisis Core is that it was a handheld game. All those short missions existed to allow you to play the game in a short burst and then put it away to do other things.

Very true, I didn't really think about it from that angle while I was sat on the couch just grinding through them - they'd be perfect for a work commute or something. It's been more than a minute since I commuted anywhere other than by foot, heh :shobon:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The biggest handheld hangover issue with Crisis Core is everything still being divided up into teeny tiny corridors with a million loading transitions

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there any reason to give a Monk a weapon in FF1? They seem to only make them do less damage.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there any reason to give a Monk a weapon in FF1? They seem to only make them do less damage.

Not really. Monks have unique attack/defense formulas for being unarmed/unarmored respectively, and also do more hits with bare fists.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless it was changed since Origins, only for the first dozen levels until their growth kicks in. Their attack points per level gets ahead of simply using weapons.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

do not give them weapons bc they do indeed inflict more damage bareknuckle

I did a playthrough of 4x Monks on GBA many years ago and I utterly steamrolled the entire game and then got full body checked by Chaos and it was glorious

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I'm still loving stupid and want to play Final Fantasy 16 already. We are getting so close.

It's all a joke. Both FF16 and Tears of the Kingdom are just some japes and tomfoolery, a trick played on gamers by the developers. I bet the folks at Nintendo and Square are really laughing it up at all the posts anticipating these "games."

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

It's all a joke. Both FF16 and Tears of the Kingdom are just some japes and tomfoolery, a trick played on gamers by the developers. I bet the folks at Nintendo and Square are really laughing it up at all the posts anticipating these "games."

:barf:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

after being frustrated for years at how little (if any?) FFTA/2 merch is available, i finally made my own

I love this, but adelaide def says gently caress

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Thoughts after finishing the FF2PR

• How the living gently caress did I finish this as a young teenager on the GBA without a guide? Dungeons in this game love to hit you with those monster closet rooms albeit with a much reduced encounter rate in the remaster.
  • Auto-battle is a godsend
  • There was much more story than I remember
  • The game actually needing you to use the edge-warping functionality on the world map was kind of weird
  • Minwu is still the man
  • Hitting 9999 on the final boss with the Blood Sword and killing him in two turns was kind of anticlimatic but I've only got myself to blame there!

Now on to FF3PR. My only prior experience with FF3 was the torturous 3D version which I dropped about 10 hours in after getting stuck at some boss and not having the will to grind.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I started the 3D version of FF3 on Steam with the intention of 100%ing the Bestiary and theres a rare monster on the first map and that seemed like bullshit to me so I bounced

I remember remarking to myself about it being similar to Warmech's spawn rate which Im pretty sure is 1:64 so nahhhh

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol ff3 ds

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

To detail, FF1 monk does one of four things where other characters would only do the first:

while armed, D = weapon rating + ⌊(STR ÷ 2)⌋ + 1

while unarmed, in NES/MSX/PSX/WSC, D = level × 2, attack twice

while unarmed before class change in GBA/PSP/PC/mobile/PR, D = ⌊((VIT+1) × 3) ÷ 4⌋, attack twice

while unarmed after class change in GBA/PSP/PC/mobile/PR, D = VIT, attack twice

The weapons available have ratings of 12, 14, and 16 (14 is the IRON🦯/Crosier.) In early versions a MNK will start with 5 STR and has a 62.5% chance of gaining it at each subsequent level; in later versions a MNK will start with 10 STR, always gain it at every 4th level, and additionally gain at 12.5% other levels/start with 9 VIT, always gait it at every odd level (including level 1 for a 10 in the stat screen immediately after loading in) and a 12.5% chance of gaining on even levels.

So, for raw damage into an armorless target:
On NES balance, an unarmed MNK gains 4 D per level linearly, while an armed monk avails themselves of a guaranteed weapon rating + 3 flat D and an addition of (on average) 1 more every 3rd or (optimally) 1 more every other level. The bad-rolls crossover is level 4 and 16 D > WOODEN🖇️ 15 D, level 5 and 20 D for IRON🦯 17 D or IRON🖇️ 19 D; average rolls produce crossovers of level 5 and 20 D > WOODEN🖇️ 16 D or IRON🦯 18 D, level 6 and 24 D or IRON🖇️ 20 D, and perfect rolls produce level 5 and 20 D > WOODEN🖇️ 17 D or IRON🦯 19, level 6 and 24 D or IRON🖇️ 21 D.

On GBA balance, an unarmed MNK is guaranteed a base D of 18 and then is guaranteed a 2 D gain at levels 3, 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, ..; every second level skipping every third second level. Good rolls move the gain counter forward by .5, so on average you'll gain a D by good rolls once somewhere within every 16 levels. Armed gains are similar but the guaranteed is weapon rating + 7 + ⌊level ÷ 8⌋, giving crossovers at level 3 and and 20 D > WOODEN🖇️ 19 D, level 5 and 22 D and 20 D > IRON🦯 19 D, and level 7 and 24 D or IRON🖇️ 23 D (though IRON🖇️ does tie again at 8 before dropping out again at 9.)

However, this is a bit unfair to weapons as actually inflicted damage is calculated per hit as D .. D × 2 - enemy A; that is, enemies gain double protection from armor against unarmed MNK compared to any other job. So there may be edge cases of lower damage until unarmed D is more than double armed; since unarmed growth is purely linear and armed is a slower ramp with a higher base, however... eh, gently caress doing the full math, it's safe to assume this will occur by double the level unarmed takes the lead on on armorless targets.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

When, if at all, should I get the DLC for Stranger of Paradise?

Decided to pull the trigger on it and get it cheap for PS5 since I like goofiness, realtime combat and enjoy Dark Souls and Elden Ring. Didn't much like the start of Nioh and didn't progress but I figure they improved since then.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

bewilderment posted:

Decided to pull the trigger on it and get it cheap for PS5 since I like goofiness, realtime combat and enjoy Dark Souls and Elden Ring. Didn't much like the start of Nioh and didn't progress but I figure they improved since then.

Get it if you really like the combat and want deeper and more involved loot and rpg systems. The bulk of the dlc is all post game, so there’s no big hurry to buy it. You can wait until the end and get it if you want more. You won’t get to use some of the dlc jobs in the main game, but the base jobs offer a ton of gameplay variety already.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

bewilderment posted:

How badly do you want to play with guns and staves? Those and the related classes are DLC, but if you go through the DLC missions you'll have plenty of time to mess with them if you want. DLC is all about collecting loot to make numby go up, with just enough story content to keep you almost interested.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The biggest problem with the strangers of paradise dlc is if you've just barely finished off the story, each dlc rises in difficulty much higher above that so it does require even more build planning and grinding out and it's kind of a small amount of content for all that effort.

The third dlc was really neat though. There's some builds you can do that should should be simple enough to make and should carry you for most of the dlc.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

The biggest problem with the strangers of paradise dlc is if you've just barely finished off the story, each dlc rises in difficulty much higher above that so it does require even more build planning and grinding out and it's kind of a small amount of content for all that effort.

The third dlc was really neat though. There's some builds you can do that should should be simple enough to make and should carry you for most of the dlc.

chaos

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Tyrant/Sage is a disgusting combination in SoP. Tyrant w/ Fists just by itself is not fair.

For some reason, my game keeps crashing when trying to play the cutscene after Dragon Zombie. This is on Steam Deck. I hope I can figure out a fix, this game is incredible and I don't want to lose momentum :(

Edit: Whew, got it. had to change the proton wrapper.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Made it to the credits in SOP and started poking around CHAOS difficulty. we found that ultima was no longer quite enough to wipe an entire boss phase on its own, so we added a second ultima.

it was a little annoying having to do the last two missions of hard difficulty in singleplayer and having to learn how to play the game for the first time.