Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It only took 48 pages to set this in the Akaverse, huh? The reference doesn't make it clear when this is happening, it could be alongside Oshi no Ko or after since all we know right now is that Frill starred in a show which is...you know, her job.

I'm not sure if I find the idea for this one too interesting but Oshi no Ko took a while to show its true colours, so I'll keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ah, the old mutual cyrano de bergerac

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i reserve my judgement on the new series till we're introduced to that series' Chika

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
we got introduced to two chicas already

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Literally in the name of the manga, even.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Fujiwara would start a company like this, and the timeline is right for her to be a working adult

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZiegeDame posted:

Fujiwara would start a company like this, and the timeline is right for her to be a working adult

She's a politician, not a businesswoman.

She didn't make the company, she just makes sure it remains legal.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I was side-eyeing the pages where Kon talked about how Mari's not popular with guys because she dresses up and how men are timid creatures who need a girl to be vulnerable. Then I went :chloe: when Kon forced Mari to dress up as a generic romcom anime heroine, but I powered through the chapter anyway.

When I got to the twist at the end that the guy she's crushing on is also being forced by the Love Agency to dress and act like a generic milquetoast romcom guy, Aka's got me interested. The fact that the two people in Love Agency look like nerdy goons makes me hopeful that this series is going to be a scathing criticism of how anime and manga have completely hosed up nerds' ideas about romance and what makes a person attractive.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Aka got tired of writing geniuses in love so decided to write idiots instead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dexo posted:

Akane is a monster actress lol.

Yeah, that list we got at the start of this arc is how it's actually gonna play out lol.

something I've been thinking about, is how the other members of B-Komachi have been like overtly not mentioned at all. And Putting Ruby(one of the protags), and Kana(the best/second best actress after akane) as members of B-Komachi kinda signal they might be important in the story to come.

yep, figured as much on the second part, first part was wrong tho.

Also goddamn is Aqua a dick, jesus.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Link to the new chapter

Aqua really just becoming more and more like dear ol' dad, huh? I'm curious how this is all going to shake out. Does Aqua really intend Kana to take the role of Ai's old groupmate, or is this some more mastermind bullshit to push Ruby off the role and have Kana play Ai? And Akane's got her own plans, so is she working together with Ruby now to undermine whatever it is Aqua's up to?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Aqua you absolute gently caress boy

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
At this point, I think Aqua is forcing himself to be a dick, trying to convince himself that he's an evil bastard, so that's easier to go through with his revenge.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Oh wow. A Kana-centric chapter.

First panels of Kana fans is everytime a chapter happens without a panel of Kana in it.

Lol @ the director being damnit, we have to make do with this weakass Ruby girl.

Kana will be the one to save Aqua from the darkness.
Aqua didn’t know Kana knew his secret right?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Annointed posted:

Aqua you absolute gently caress boy

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GateOfD posted:

Oh wow. A Kana-centric chapter.

First panels of Kana fans is everytime a chapter happens without a panel of Kana in it.

Kana was the best singer in the new B-Komachi, so with her gone and Ruby focusing on acting for her Ai role, what’s Mem-Cho left to do, go back to streaming?

Anyway, feel bad for the Kana oshis in universe in those first couple of panels that have to deal with her leaving, though I guess it’s not the entertainment industry in general and they can still see her in the movie and TV work she’s bound to get now that her profile is higher. At lease she knows she made the right choice joining B-Komachi to revive her flagging career and can admit that to herself.

And yes, Aqua is an absolute fuccboi. Dammit, I just want Kana to be happy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

wokow6 posted:

At this point, I think Aqua is forcing himself to be a dick, trying to convince himself that he's an evil bastard, so that's easier to go through with his revenge.

It's this. It's always been this.

Aqua is at heart a complete dork so his whole revenge fantasy and edgy cringiness is just him lying to himself as a coping mechanism. Just like Ai lying to everyone else was a coping mechanism for her own traumas and insecurities.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I hope there is still time to develop memcho.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

I hope there is still time to develop memcho.

She's had a lot of development already. Way more than the rest of the core cast. Decades worth, even

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think Aqua is 100% just planning to kill himself or just disappear off cutting contact with everyone after he succeeds in his revenge, so he's just going full bastard so no one will miss him

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
It would be pretty funny if it turned out that Akane's random guess was wrong and Aqua was getting his revenge on the wrong person.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wokow6 posted:

He wasn't even being that much of a dick this time! Sure, he's toying with Kana's emotions a bit, and that's dickish, but he told her a funny story, encouraged her, and then didn't promise anything beyond what was true.

He just followed it up by chewing on the scenery in private about how he's the evilest villain ever to exist.

I mean, this whole situation started because Aqua tossed all his family secrets into the limelight to bail out Kana from her own mistakes. She really is special to him. It's just he refuses to admit it, because that would mean admitting he's not Revenge-o-tron 9000.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

im still kinda in the "aqua is a dick" even if it's him being a meta dick or being a dick for good reasons or whatever that's still a dick mostly
just be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

marumaru posted:

im still kinda in the "aqua is a dick" even if it's him being a meta dick or being a dick for good reasons or whatever that's still a dick mostly
just be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there's any debate on whether Aqua is or isn't a dick, he most definitely is a dick, the question is how much his cartoon supervillain act is true and how much it's him trying to fool himself.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
I’d say it’s both, it’s partially an act he’s forcing himself to do, to push everyone away so nobody feels bad for whatever he plans to do to himself after he gets his revenges. The longer it goes on though, I think he starts losing himself to it as he continues doing whatever he feels necessary to accomplish this, and it twists him into becoming a lot like the person he’s after

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just read the first ten chapters, up to the time skip. And I'm... Not really feeling it so far? I've heard it recommended from people whose opinions generally align with mine, and I really enjoyed Kaguya-sama Love is War quite a lot, so with the anime starting I figured I'd start reading the manga (haven't watched any of the anime yet).

A lot of the characterization feels unbelievable to the point of taking me out of the story, much of it feeling quite forced. Once I saw there's a time skip it made more sense, feeling a bit like it was rushing through the setup to get to the "real" story. I like the critique of the idol culture / fan base a lot, and the comedy is pretty good, I'm just not a huge fan of how the characters have been written so far, which really surprised me because I loved the writing in Kaguya. The twins and Ai don't really act like believable humans imo, and some of the themeing seems really weird - it seems very critical of obsessive idol fans, yet Aqua contemplates suicide when faced with a world without his favorite idol and its framed as something we should generally agree with? It seems like it's saying "obsessive fans are bad!... Except our protagonist."

Should I keep pushing through, or is the first ten chapters a good encapsulation of the rest of the series? It feels like things were a bit forced to try and rush through the "setup" so I'm wondering if now that the series has "really" started, it'll give itself a bit more breathing room for more believable character writing and consistent themeing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just keep reading if the stuff you like is the industry stuff.

It becomes pretty much just that. at least get through the Reality TV arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think his feelings of living only for revenge are meant to be something we agree with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the series isnt really about 'obsessive fans are bad,' its about the reasons people lie and why. its fine to be intensely into an idol so long as you understand its sort of a performance, an equivalent exchange, they're performing a character and you're aware of that but buying into it anyway. the problem the series is critiquing is the mindset of people expecting idols/entertainers to be perfect human beings at all times with no internal life outside what they perform, and that performance to never slip under any circumstances no matter how extreme, and if it does slip then they aren't human so its fine to do whatever. if you're expecting it to be some harsh takedown it isnt really that.

but also aqua is meant to be obsessive to the point of it being toxic and unhealthy, and also its not just his favorite idol, its also his mom. i think there's a pretty clear divide between an obsessive fan who's mad someone had a boyfriend and a guy who had to watch his mother bleed to death in front of him.

that said, yeah, the story does become a fair bit more grounded past the early going. aqua and ruby dont really act believable in the early going because, well, their situation isn't believable. and ai is specifically noted as someone who had nothing and so threw herself into the idol thing, her not really acting like a normal person is the intent.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Exia posted:

I’d say it’s both, it’s partially an act he’s forcing himself to do, to push everyone away so nobody feels bad for whatever he plans to do to himself after he gets his revenges. The longer it goes on though, I think he starts losing himself to it as he continues doing whatever he feels necessary to accomplish this, and it twists him into becoming a lot like the person he’s after

This.
As TobleroneTriangular* taught us you become who you pretend to be, and Aqua doesn't seem to be the most self-aware individual.

*goon who pretended to be an insane libertarian to make fun of libertarians. He stopped when he realized he was actually starting to genuinely think like that even when fully cognizant he was just bullshitting

E: will you look at that, the characterization for our rear end in a top hat has stayed consistent and holy poo poo I loving wonder why Kana trusts Aqua implicitly and is so flustered by his compliments.
Oh wait that's because she has basic pattern recognition skills and has noticed that so far Aqua has been really good to her.

Omobono posted:

Don't get me wrong, Strawberry will absolutely do right by Kana, Ruby has the skills and charisma to make it really big and lift Kana by association, and Aqua can probably maneuver something or someone so that Kana gets more acting opportunities. This choice will start Kana's glorious return to showbiz. In a couple years, she'll look back at this moment grateful that Aqua bullied her into this leap of faith.

But this chapter Aqua was objectively scummy and he needs to get his head out of his rear end before he does something truly heinous towards his friends and family. Unfortunately his head is currently firmly lodged in there but I'm sure Ruby and Kana will, eventually, manage to pop it out.

Pity about that last prediction missing the mark for now. I'd love non-rear end in a top hat Aqua.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2023

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Is kana into books because she saw aqua reading some fancy book when they were 4? Her reading a book on lizards in the anime made me think of this.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

doomisland posted:

Is kana into books because she saw aqua reading some fancy book when they were 4? Her reading a book on lizards in the anime made me think of this.

Nah, they only met the one time in that film when they were kids. They were both too busy with production that I doubt Aqua had the time to read there. That, and Kana spent her childhood slowly losing out on work so that's probably where her desire to have a backup plan of getting a college degree came from.

If anything, the main thing she took away from that meeting is that it shattered her self-confidence in her acting skills. Yeah, she's got the potential and looks, but her mindset of always propping up other people's acting makes it impossible to get noticed by the people who can give her better jobs. Despite what Director Gotanda said about how it's good for an actor to be easy to work with, I can't help but think that you gotta be at least a little bit selfish and want to stand out among the competition.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

amigolupus posted:

Nah, they only met the one time in that film when they were kids. They were both too busy with production that I doubt Aqua had the time to read there. That, and Kana spent her childhood slowly losing out on work so that's probably where her desire to have a backup plan of getting a college degree came from.

If anything, the main thing she took away from that meeting is that it shattered her self-confidence in her acting skills. Yeah, she's got the potential and looks, but her mindset of always propping up other people's acting makes it impossible to get noticed by the people who can give her better jobs. Despite what Director Gotanda said about how it's good for an actor to be easy to work with, I can't help but think that you gotta be at least a little bit selfish and want to stand out among the competition.

I think the issue is that if you're on the extreme of being easy to work with people will probably at least still offer you jobs even if they're not particularly good ones. If you're just known as the industry rear end in a top hat that nobody wants to work with, you might get no jobs at all because your talent only goes so far when they have to finagle the entire rest of the cast/crew around you.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah it's a balancing act between being easy to work with and being a pushover, and i'm pretty sure aka's aware of that, case in point being during the sweet today arc when those guys on the crew were laughing it up at how they only brought kana on for name recognition.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
118 is out https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016665

RIP to all “Ai was reincarnated” theories, glad they’re dead. Also, what better way to get more Ruby focus then reintroducing her mother from when she was Sarina!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

AKA YOU MONSTER

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what chapter was it when Kana fought out Aqua's secret?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She found out when he publicly revealed it to the press, iirc.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Clarste posted:

She found out when he publicly revealed it to the press, iirc.

That’s my recollection as well.

As for the latest chapter, :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh yea, forgot that happened