Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mystes posted:

I don't morally object to this but it's going to be hard to ensure the pasta is the correct doneness and the liquid is sufficiently reduced at the same time

It isn’t hard at all. You add less water than you think you need, and if/when the pasta isn’t done by the time your water is reduced, you add a little more water.

Like Minty says, just treat it like risotto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I morally object to it ('one-pot pasta' being done in a kitchen with access to multiple pots) on the grounds that it's a trend and a fad and etc etc. If you literally have a use case for it where that's the best or easiest way for you, then sure. I think most times the result is a lot worse than cooking seperate and rehydrating.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Why not just get it on Amazon?

I'm seeing it cost like 12 bucks a box on Amazon, when I see it in the stores it's like 3-4.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Around half of my pasta eating is one pot pasta, I am just much too lazy to clean a second pot. And having the flavours infused into the pasta makes it very delicious.

Here is an italian opinion on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK3FC1cQPKg

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Put yer pots in the dishwasher, run that sucka 2x a day :wom:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

VictualSquid posted:

And having the flavours infused into the pasta makes it very delicious.

I think this is why I like it. It’s nice being able to throw in a relatively small amount of a couple flavors that sound good and sort of cook them into the pasta and really not end up needing much sauce.

It also helps that it’s (even) easier than cooking normal pasta.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BrianBoitano posted:

Put yer pots in the dishwasher,

What is that? How do you put cookware into a person? :confused:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

What is that? How do you put cookware into a person? :confused:

One rack at a time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anno posted:

This might be cooking heresy but recently I’ve been big into cooking pasta in a pan with all the flavors in there with it. About 3oz of pasta, a cup of water, drizzle of olive oil and some salt, then just throw in whatever you want it to taste like. Today for lunch I did some capers, a spoon of pesto and a spoon of garlic crisp, and it was fantastic. All of it reduces together with the starchy pasta water so it comes out with a kind of creamy sauce. Throw in a bit of parm and basil at the end and have a good meal.
That's a super old-school way to do pasta e piselli (although it's usually done in a single pot instead of a single pan). You bring a small amount of stock (instead of water) to a simmer and then add your ditalini or whatever and you're aiming to cook it so that the pasta absorbs some and the rest cooks off, so when you're done you've got cooked pasta and only enough extra liquid that when you add cheese and oil you end up with a creamy sauce.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Carillon posted:

Sadly I went today and was told they don't do that anymore, you need to be a member which requires a business license :( I can't believe how hard Diamond Crystal has been to find. It's such a small thing, but using Morton's kosher has really thrown my salting for a loop, things are either too salty, or not salty enough.

They're not nationwide, but I've consistently been able to find Diamond Crystal at Gordon Food Service. No membership needed.

therattle posted:

yeah, this was my concern too. Or you wait until the water level is correct at which point the pasta may be overcooked. One could titrate it to that one had the correct ratio of water to pasta worked (eg 1 cup water to 100g pasta) but but that might take some trial and error.

Weigh some pasta before and after boiling the normal way, and you'll get a rough idea of the water absorption ratio. It won't be completely precise, since the pasta also gives up some starch to the water so there's ultimately less "dry matter" in the cooked pasta than you started with (probably by a minuscule amount). And you'll also have to account for evaporation, which will be different depending on whether you cook it covered or not. Or really, while working up the perfect ratio, you can always use the lid to control the amount of evaporation as needed. Anyway that would probably give a decent ballpark starting point.

JoshGuitar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 2, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
No, we need to cling to old wives tales and superstitions about olive oil to keep pasta from sticking and minimum water amounts measured in quarts. It's tradition and you people are chaos. We are steps, I tell you, steps away from unbroken spaghetti noodles being served to children under the age of 40 and that's a world I refuse to live in

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Miso is also good on toast if you run out of Vegemite.

it's awesome for dipping french fries in. source: have been really drunk and all out of mustard

nwin posted:

I’ve hit a huge roadblock in my desire/ability to cook. I blame it on a stressful job and a 2 year old and 4.5 year old who only like a handful of things I cook. Whenever I do put effort into a dish, either the kids have a meltdown so I can’t enjoy it/it’s too cold by the time I’m ready to eat, or they just refuse to eat it and then I’m dealing with them instead of enjoying the food. Half the time we fall back on them eating chicken nuggets or whatever while I make a portion for the wife and I. As long as it’s not meltdown city, that method can work.

Anyone experienced something similar? The only really days with prep time are the weekends or an occasional weekday. Besides that it’s usually 30 minutes to get something on the table. I don’t mind a bit of prep the night before, though.

my niece is two and is currently big into shapes and colours (who can blame her, they're all the rage) so what i sometimes do is make her a plate of Sticks where i just cut a bunch of stuff into sticks. usually carrots, bread, cheese, and apples. she gets all riled up and turns into something dangerous sometimes because she loving loves sticks but what matters is we all have fun

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Who tf only makes 100g of pasta.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh! If you do this once, you will be doing it forever (ask me how I know), but if the child will eat cottage cheese, put a scoop on the plate, put grated cheese around the edges for hair, and make eyes, nose, and mouth of whatever edible things you think the child will enjoy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last night I roasted a roughly 2.4 kg boneless pork shoulder, and while it turned out great it took nearly twice the estimated time to reach fully cooked temperature.

My oven - rented house - is small and old and struggles to reach high temperatures. The instructions on the plastic the roast was wrapped in said to cook it at 230 C (about 450 F) for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180 C (350 F) for 30 minutes per kilogram. Two hours after I turned the temperature down (and slid a tray of beets and carrots in on the rack below), the thermometer said the center of the roast was only about 75 C and the internet told me to get it to 88 C. Another 30 or 40 minutes and we were there, so supper was served immediately before bedtime for my wife and I.

OK, another learning experience but I'm hoping for some advice. The instructions said to remove the net only after cooking, which I did, and also discussed the best way to get the skin crackling. I discarded the hard plastic-like skin when I carved the roast, it had a lovely aroma and taste but I didn't much like the texture (hard, crunchy, but also fibrous and chewy). Previously (the last time I did a pork roast was probably 3-4 years ago) I know I've trimmed off the skin and some of the fat prior to cooking, and I expect a more flattened shape would cook faster, so next time I plan to remove the net before cooking and trim off the stuff I know I'm not gonna eat. It tastes great and I'm making many plans for the large amount of cooked and delicious meat in the fridge, but I'm also curious about other suggestions.

Any other ideas? For cooking a 5-lb pork roast in less than 2.5 hours and/or for other handling/preparation steps?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I know that a few people in here probably watch MasterChef Australia so just to let you know, if you already didn’t, that it was announced yesterday that Jock Zonfrillo had died on Sunday. No cause of death publicly announced yet.
The new series was supposed to start last night but it’s been delayed for a week.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Claire saffitz’s first book, Dessert Person, is really good. Definitely worth picking up. her staple recipes are excellent, easy to make, and produce incredible results. I make her ginger snaps several times a year and it always gets rave reviews.

Her second book, What’s For Dessert, is so far batting pretty poorly. It strays away from classic staple recipes and focuses more on new takes on classics, but so far I don’t think any of them have been particularly good. Her tiramisu icebox cake is mid, and a ton of work for what should be a very simple recipe. I’ve made tiramisu in Italy in 15 minutes and it comes out significantly better and far faster than the 2+ hours it takes to make the icebox cake.

Tried her lemon brûlée bread pudding yesterday and the recipe is all wrong. The temp is far too low (325 as opposed to 350), resulting in incredibly long baking time, a mushy, wet-bread texture, and an unappetizing appearance, even with the brûlée. It takes about 1.5-2 hours from start to finish, as opposed to a classic bread pudding recipe. The flavor was way off as well, losing the bread in the mix and just tasting like mushy lemon curd. I omitted the lemon curd served on top, because the pudding itself tastes entirely of lemon curd. Very disappointed.

I’ve made several other recipes from the book and they’re all varying degrees of “just ok” to “genuinely not good”.

None of the recipes in the second book seem particularly appealing to me. I prefer a book that has solid examples of classic recipes and flavor profiles. I want a drat good, classic bread pudding recipe, not a unique spin that comes out significantly worse than the original, at significantly higher ingredient and time cost.

Tl;dr Dessert Person is fantastic, but you can skip What’s for Dessert

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I wonder for cook book 'editing' if they give the manuscript recipes to a human which matches the expected audience, and let them try it? I could be wrong, but test kitchen I thought were more for development of recipes, vs seeing if a non pro could match results.

A long time ago, I worked in board game publishing, and we would see if a person could cold read the rules and figure out the game. People involved were blinded by their inside knowledge, and would add unwritten information, particularly if they were 'higher experience ' gamers, and just knew how games worked. Cooking has the same sort of you do this to get this result in this technique holistic knowledge.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm pretty sure basically all cookbook authors have lots of recipe testers. I was a recipe tester for one or two of these books for instance.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm pretty sure basically all cookbook authors have lots of recipe testers. I was a recipe tester for one or two of these books for instance.

It’s one of my partner’s long running gigs, because we have access to a full suburban kitchen and will follow instructions to the letter (despite being a naturally talented cook from years of FoH and just general gourmandrie). She used to be an editor, so she understands the import of failure on tweaking the recipe.

Outside of baking, I am innately incapable of following a recipe, to my credit and detriment. I always assume I know my ingredients better than the book, which is why I’m trying to make myself do more Asian Grocery Pantry cooking, to get a sense of how technique and flavors work outside the French “double everything”, Italian “the best ingredients, unmolested” and New American “why not both sometimes?” styles I grew up in.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I figure with cookbooks it’s probably aiming towards people that want to post stuff on instagram or whatever. But yeah I’ve got a couple cookbooks that are like “basic thing, but wild ingredient substitutions”. Which is occasionally what I make anyway, but just doesn’t work as a cookbook for me.

Tbh I don’t usually use cookbooks, I’d rather just make things up as I go. I feel like a book that’s just basic technique, flavor profile, order, and ratios would be way more helpful and I’d be much more likely to cook that way.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So our mod Flash Gordon Ramsey has passed, after a battle with cancer. Do we like, nominate someone?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh no, for real? Terrible.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

yeah, fuckin' what? :smith:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That’s terrible news, FGR was a consistently good poster and mod, and gave consistently quality cooking advice, cancer sucks

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
What??! Is this true? :smith:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Unfortunately it's true

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:(

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh no.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This sucks, fgr was a rad dude and will be sorely missed. RIP.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Homie was a real one. Is it weird to ask if there’s somewhere we can send flowers/make a donation/sign his bereaved up for Rancho Gordo Bean Club?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flash Gordon Ramsay on FB posted:

The lemonade stand is open for business! We're in front of Farm Fresh at the corner of S. Independence and Princess Anne, next to Target until 1 today. Come say hi and support CHKD's children's cancer center!
Donate to children's cancer, or specifically https://www.chkd.org/Support-Us/. He was a big supporter of them.

PM me or Croat if you want to do it in his IRL name.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm FB friends with FGR and can reach out to his wife. I'd like to give her a few days before asking her anything, but I'm more than happy to pass on messages and well wishes.

e:f;b

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wow that sucks :(. His name + avatar has been making me giggle for years

mystes
May 31, 2006

that sucks :(

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

prayer group posted:

So our mod Flash Gordon Ramsey has passed, after a battle with cancer. Do we like, nominate someone?

That sucks. Flash Gordon Ramsey was a big part of making the SA Cooking Forum being so great to read.

Mr_Roke fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 7, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FGR gone?! God drat that sucks.

I remember waaaaay loving back him and pr0k posted that they had met up IRL with their wives and everyone had hit it off really good.

Dude was loving great and had a lot of good knowledge to share. gently caress cancer.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
he bought me this avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
and I believe we battled to a tie in a callout thread