Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Use the oscillating tool to score it where you want the cut to be.

A couple shots in the scores with a hammer & cold chisel should pop it off.

If it chips, leaving like a center area, you try to re-score it & repeat or, if annoyed enough, practice your hammer/chisel stonecutting skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I agree with PainterOfCrap, you should be able to chisel that off pretty quickly I think. Note: use a "cold steel chisel", they're designed for whacking through concrete.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
So we have this weird, chopped up house that is a mixture of new and heritage construction. Some parts are 20ish years old while others are much much older. You’ll find lath and plaster in some parts and then new drywall where the house has been reno’d.

I’d been meaning to replace some old fascia boards as the tips are rotting and far beyond saving. I knew it was old construction as the lumber is full dimension. You can also see that the roof sheathing uses old doug fir boards rather that plywood.

I just pulled off one of the trim pieces to see how they’re attached and it seems like they are attached directly to the roof sheathing rather than to the rafters.

Is that correct and typical for older construction? Any views on how best to attach the new fascia boards given that I’m not really keen to pull up the shingles to access it from above?

Pics are here: https://imgur.com/gallery/SFoXKlV

mexecan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 30, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

idk if this is the right thread. I searched "dishwashers" and this is the most applicable one that came up!!

I can't get my dishwasher to start. It's a Bosch SHE5AL05UC/03. It starts to... start then after a minute or two it stops and reports "clean." It has done this for a while, but usually just turning it off and on again fixes it. However, this time it won't go. I powered it off at the circuit breaker, confirmed there is water pressure, the water line doesn't look clogged from what I can see, the vent is not blocked inside, and the air gap hosing looks fine to me. I don't know what else to check. The spray arm holes are foamy, like no water is getting in. I took them apart and cleaned them, but no change. I don't know how the line could have gotten kinked at the rear? That's the last thing to check afaik, but also the biggest pain.

It has pretty bad reviews on Amazon, and 2 of the 8 reviews specifically call out this problem as well. I don't see a manufacturer date, but I'm guessing this thing is around 13 years old.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

c355n4 posted:

Looking to replace the siding on my house. Currently have old, ugly, faded vinyl. What other options exist that would work for NJ weather? I thought about wood but we have woodpeckers. My backyard is all wooded. I'm reading about cement fiber board. They seem tempting. Does brand matter?

Also, when the siding gets replaced. Should I get any other work done at the same time? Windows?

Cement board is the poo poo.

Can't speak for brands but iirc Hardie, while the "standard" seems to be fussy on installers being "certified" to have any kind of warranty coverage if that's important to you. So take that fwiw

That said, we have Hardie on our house and we'll never go back to vinyl siding.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mexecan posted:

So we have this weird, chopped up house that is a mixture of new and heritage construction. Some parts are 20ish years old while others are much much older. You’ll find lath and plaster in some parts and then new drywall where the house has been reno’d.

I’d been meaning to replace some old fascia boards as the tips are rotting and far beyond saving. I knew it was old construction as the lumber is full dimension. You can also see that the roof sheathing uses old doug fir boards rather that plywood.

I just pulled off one of the trim pieces to see how they’re attached and it seems like they are attached directly to the roof sheathing rather than to the rafters.

Is that correct and typical for older construction? Any views on how best to attach the new fascia boards given that I’m not really keen to pull up the shingles to access it from above?

Pics are here: https://imgur.com/gallery/SFoXKlV

Ja it's pretty common on pre-war homes, for the fascia to be a faux roof rafter attached to the outer edge/underside of the roof sheathing.

If you're OK with the open soffits the most elegant solution is to wrap them in aluminum. If you have a aheetmetal brake (preferably 8') you can make them pretty easily. otherwise contact a roofer or a siding company.

If you want to replace it you need to lift the shingles & felt up wherever you want to put a screw through the sheathing to hit the new fascia. You can put the screw through the felt, but I[d put a little sealant on the screw head before dropping the shingle back down.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Ja it's pretty common on pre-war homes, for the fascia to be a faux roof rafter attached to the outer edge/underside of the roof sheathing.

If you're OK with the open soffits the most elegant solution is to wrap them in aluminum. If you have a aheetmetal brake (preferably 8') you can make them pretty easily. otherwise contact a roofer or a siding company.

If you want to replace it you need to lift the shingles & felt up wherever you want to put a screw through the sheathing to hit the new fascia. You can put the screw through the felt, but I[d put a little sealant on the screw head before dropping the shingle back down.

And I take it from to your second para is that adding in a return to box in the soffits would also be an option?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks all. Looks like cement board is a winner if I can afford the cost.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
New homeowner here, just had a really low load, super thin command strip pull a small chip of paint off my wall. Paint might not have cured right, when the house went on the market they did a full repaint in unoffensive gray so it might not have been the best paint job.

They did leave behind what I assume are the original paint cans. I've seen advice from "you can patch it" to "you have to repaint the whole wall." I've got a sum total of 0 years experience with this, so I figured I'd ask.

Also, do command strips just suck? I didn't want to put nails in the wall, but if the alternate is some % chance of the paint being pulled off, I'll go with nails any day. I thought not loving your walls was their whole shtick

Zodack fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 1, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zodack posted:

Also, do command strips just suck? I didn't want to put nails in the wall, but if the alternate is some % chance of the paint being pulled off, I'll go with nails any day. I thought not loving your walls was their whole shtick

I feel like this might be one of those questions where you'll get a different answer from everyone you ask, but I have never had any luck with them. Especially on plaster walls, they seem hell bent on taking some paint away with them when they go. Good Hanging hardware is always worth the extra money + effort imo.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Yeah I've literally never had a command strip fail me or damage the wall on removal.

So somewhere between they never work and always works.

Hope that helps 😄.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Zodack posted:

New homeowner here, just had a really low load, super thin command strip pull a small chip of paint off my wall. Paint might not have cured right, when the house went on the market, they did a full repaint unoffensive gray so it might not have been the best paint job.

They did leave behind what I assume are the original paint cans. I've seen advice from "you can patch it" to "you have to repaint the whole wall." I've got a sum total of 0 years experience with this, so I figured I'd ask.

Command strips are great until they're not. I personally hate them because they're marketed at people who don't know how to hang things properly. I don't care what kind of adhesive something uses, adhesives age over time. They will harden.

Yes I've seen command strips come off flawlessly, but I've also seen them snap leaving the adhesive strip permanently on the wall. My wife loved command strips but after me fixing several spots after failed removal .. they're now banned in our home.

The easiest solution for removal is mild heat, like blowdryer temps, not a heat gun on high. The heat seems to soften the adhesive and allow it to come off easier. Ive seen suggestions for using floss to get behind the hook but that never worked for me. The foam adhesive strip stays on the wall.

Depending on how much paint it removed, and hopefully just paint, you might need to fill the hole with some hot mud or something similar, sand so that everything has an even surface, and paint over top. If you just paint over the indentation, you'll still see the indentation, it will just be the same color as your wall.

On a side note, I finished the patio extension. Our PO just put a few regular blocks to continue the walk way.

600lbs of tumbled irregular bluestone, 400lbs of sand, 600lbs of gravel later ...

The rocks don't match as the current ones have probably been in the ground for decades, so we'll see how they age but if not I'm already looking into how to dye/stain them. But also :effort:

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 1, 2023

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks all. Yeah, when moving out of my apartment I took maybe... eight? Command strips of various sizes off the wall just fine, so this one shocked me.

It didn't take a lot off. It may be their smallest strip they sell, used for hanging light things like calendars. I've had a few do the snap and try to leave the strip on the wall which is exhausting. I may go the bail route. Gotta get my week-old move in brain in the rhythm of screwing with the place a bit more.

Here's the chip for reference. It's thankfully pretty small.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 1, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

New homeowner here, just had a really low load, super thin command strip pull a small chip of paint off my wall. Paint might not have cured right, when the house went on the market they did a full repaint in unoffensive gray so it might not have been the best paint job.

I would assume that any work done prior to selling a house was done as cheaply as possible. If they didn't prep the walls right before painting, and then used cheap paint, it's no wonder that it's flaking at the first provocation. You can repaint it, following standard surface prep (scrub clean with TSP, let dry, then paint), and it'll hold for as long as the paint quality permits.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Kylaer posted:

What is the best way to attach a series of small clamps (for an ethernet cable) to the outside of a vinyl-siding house? Is it safe to use small screws into the plywood under the vinyl, or will this allow water in and inevitably murder the house?

Update on this, I only needed a couple of clips so I did screw them through the siding and then glopped silicone caulk all over them which I think should keep water out. If my house dissolves around me I'll let you all know.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile. Previous owner hired a really incompetent painter who left both drips and fisheyes, and who put on a heavy layer of paint. Is that unsalvagable without loads of :20bux:? (Note: the walls are all wooden beadboard.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Razor scrapers cost like $3

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zodack posted:

It may take a while to fully integrate this fact, it's your home. No deposit. Anything you do can be undone at your cost of time and money. Xmas decorations? Command strip. Xmas decorations you're going to hang the same way every year? Put a small nail there and reuse it. Hang art or something on the wall? Mount it however needed, drywall anchor, zip strip, nails, lag bolts. If and when you move just infill the holes and touch up paint. You'll notice a small touch-up and most visitors won't see it at all.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

StormDrain posted:

It may take a while to fully integrate this fact, it's your home. No deposit. Anything you do can be undone at your cost of time and money. Xmas decorations? Command strip. Xmas decorations you're going to hang the same way every year? Put a small nail there and reuse it. Hang art or something on the wall? Mount it however needed, drywall anchor, zip strip, nails, lag bolts. If and when you move just infill the holes and touch up paint. You'll notice a small touch-up and most visitors won't see it at all.

It's definitely something I'm getting used to. Ironically after pulling the paint and then searching up how to patch a wall, I went to the master bedroom and though "oh poo poo, I can see three or four places they patched in here I never noticed".

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I bought just over a year ago and still catch myself not wanting to mount things properly/permanently. Nomadic lifestyle is hard to shake!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mexecan posted:

And I take it from to your second para is that adding in a return to box in the soffits would also be an option?

Yes - my house was built configured as yours is. In the 1950s they had the fascia wrapped, and closed in the soffits by nailing track to the elevations (siding) as well as the outer edge of the fascia & dropped in panels with a number of them perforated for ventilation. For being 70+ years old, they look pretty good on the inside - I opened it up to run my bath vent down through the soffit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I was looking at my radon mitigation fan (the pressure gauge was off) and noticed, somehow for the first time, two drilled holes into my foundation.

I checked some photos I took last year and they are not there. The radon guy said he didn't drill them....

Where would they have come from? Radon guy just misremembering? Somebody out to get me? Not sure why the radon guy would've drilled those anyway.

Top one is like an inch deep and stops. Bottom one goes about at least a foot (that I could test with a stick) and then when I pull the stick out it brings some muddy water with it (it's been raining of course the past few days).

I'm hoping it's not done too much damage in the 6 months its been there. Got a foundation guy coming out Friday to check/seal it up.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 2, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I was looking at my radon mitigation fan (the pressure gauge was off) and noticed, somehow for the first time, two drilled holes into my foundation.

I checked some photos I took last year and they are not there. The radon guy said he didn't drill them....

Where would they have come from? Radon guy just misremembering? Somebody out to get me? Not sure why the radon guy would've drilled those anyway.

Top one is like an inch deep and stops. Bottom one goes about at least a foot (that I could test with a stick) and then when I pull the stick out it brings some muddy water with it (it's been raining of course the past few days).

I'm hoping it's not done too much damage in the 6 months its been there. Got a foundation guy coming out Friday to check/seal it up.

Forming plugs popped out? Don't know the proper name for them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Razor scrapers cost like $3

The walls aren't flat. The walls are covered with grooves that are anywhere from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch deep.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zodack posted:

Thanks all. Yeah, when moving out of my apartment I took maybe... eight? Command strips of various sizes off the wall just fine, so this one shocked me.

Use nails, they're great!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FYI if you own a place that you care about, these portable clothes steamers (generally, not the one in the photo per sae) are amazing at removing stuff like stickers/3m command strips/LED strips from your walls without taking the paint off.

t[img]https://i.imgur.com/g543etY.png[/timg]

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Verman posted:

Command strips are great until they're not. I personally hate them because they're marketed at people who don't know how to hang things properly. I don't care what kind of adhesive something uses, adhesives age over time. They will harden.

Yes I've seen command strips come off flawlessly, but I've also seen them snap leaving the adhesive strip permanently on the wall. My wife loved command strips but after me fixing several spots after failed removal .. they're now banned in our home.

The easiest solution for removal is mild heat, like blowdryer temps, not a heat gun on high. The heat seems to soften the adhesive and allow it to come off easier. Ive seen suggestions for using floss to get behind the hook but that never worked for me. The foam adhesive strip stays on the wall.

Depending on how much paint it removed, and hopefully just paint, you might need to fill the hole with some hot mud or something similar, sand so that everything has an even surface, and paint over top. If you just paint over the indentation, you'll still see the indentation, it will just be the same color as your wall.

On a side note, I finished the patio extension. Our PO just put a few regular blocks to continue the walk way.

600lbs of tumbled irregular bluestone, 400lbs of sand, 600lbs of gravel later ...

The rocks don't match as the current ones have probably been in the ground for decades, so we'll see how they age but if not I'm already looking into how to dye/stain them. But also :effort:

That's nice looking. When I redid my patio and had to integrate some new stones alongside old ones I found that I was able to blend in the colors a bit better by grinding a bunch of dirt and compost into the new stones to make the new ones look a little more weathered and not pop quite so much.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Nothing better than stepping in water at 5:30am. The compression fitting on the disposal had loosened. The leak detector under the sink had fallen over.

I hate compression fitting, need to figure out how to hard pipe this thing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ack- didn’t you just remodel that kitchen?

Was it compression fitting or shark bite?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I want to get some blackout curtains for my bedroom. I know I also need a wrap around curtain rod to prevent light leakage from the sides, but what can I do about the top?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VelociBacon posted:

Forming plugs popped out? Don't know the proper name for them.

Actually after I posted that, I noticed, in another picture, a black sharpie'd X on the other side. So I'm guessing the radon guy was trying to drill for...something? He may have thought it was a crawl space and was trying to go through the wall?

It's a slab foundation and he and I discussed/knew that but maybe he forgot. Started to drill and "whoops now I remember I gotta dig under it."

I asked him again if he was SURE he didn't do it (I did it nicely in a "I promise I'm not trying to be snarky" way) and he said he didn't remember doing it but if it was him, he apologizes and I'm free to plug them lol.

Just hope it didn't do any actual damage.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Harriet Carker posted:

I want to get some blackout curtains for my bedroom. I know I also need a wrap around curtain rod to prevent light leakage from the sides, but what can I do about the top?

Drape an extra strip of cloth over it, or a piece of cardboard or something? I think I've seen curtains that have an extra frilly bit of cloth above where the curtain rod goes that can lay over to fill the gap, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Edit: there's something called a valance that's a really short curtain that seems like it hangs off the same rod as your main curtain(?), you could put on one of those and then flip it backwards to cover the top I think :science:

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 2, 2023

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Zodack posted:

Ironically after pulling the paint and then searching up how to patch a wall, I went to the master bedroom and though "oh poo poo, I can see three or four places they patched in here I never noticed".

I truly believe that the lack of noticing is a gift. I have never had that. I've seen the most minute details and variances in everything I've seen all my life. Until I got married, I thought everyone saw things like that, but they don't. I routinely point things out to my wife and she tells me "I never noticed that before, great, that's all I'll see now."

But it would be so much easier to NOT see those things.

In other news -- renting a towable auger with 16" bit on it tomorrow. Need to dig 15 holes for footings. God help me.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the garage door springs broke this morning when my wife was trying to leave, RIP. Have to manually push the door to open, it gets jammed up with the motor and the lack of energy provided by the missing spring.

The local garage door service will be here this afternoon to replace both of them.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

devmd01 posted:

One of the garage door springs broke this morning when my wife was trying to leave, RIP. Have to manually push the door to open, it gets jammed up with the motor and the lack of energy provided by the missing spring.

The local garage door service will be here this afternoon to replace both of them.

One of ours randomly broke when I was walking through the room that shares a wall with the garage one evening. It was very clear *something* had just gone very wrong, and it took me forever to figure out what the hell it was.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

devmd01 posted:

Is she OK? I've heard it can be pretty gnarly when those things break.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VelociBacon posted:

I bought just over a year ago and still catch myself not wanting to mount things properly/permanently. Nomadic lifestyle is hard to shake!

You know my post was a little projection as well because I've been a homeowner for a decade, I was still trying to use command strips to mount a couple of speakers and realized using two screws would have it done and secure in about 10 seconds.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jenkl posted:

Is she OK? I've heard it can be pretty gnarly when those things break.

All good, happened when she hit the opener by the entry door, all the way across the garage. No pieces flew anywhere, just split in two.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

StormDrain posted:

You know my post was a little projection as well because I've been a homeowner for a decade, I was still trying to use command strips to mount a couple of speakers and realized using two screws would have it done and secure in about 10 seconds.

For me it's more that this condo is the first steel stud place I've lived in. I hosed around with a lot of little anchor solutions before finding Elephant Anchors and now I want to use them for every single thing I can, what a fantastic product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've never heard them called that but they look like zip toggles to me. They rule if so.