Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

as more social media becomes driven by bot-generated content, more people will leave. their dormant accounts will get picked up by scammers using bots to run them, and soon all of facebook will become an entirely AI-generated ecosystem where the bot versions of ourselves do all the reading and commenting and consuming for us so we can live our lives again.

is this the singularity I always hear about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Norton posted:

a librarian told me drunk guys at bars in the 80s and 90s used to call up libraries all the time to settle trivia poo poo.

That owns.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

now the same kind of guys believe any random thing they google and think americaneagle.info is the highest authority for information in the world

Eh, now it’s lead-brained boomers, who grew up believing that nothing they’re told can be true.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

noooooo you don't understand, you're not just buying a lightsaber you are buying an experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1y2vo0bkiY

god drat thats some cringe. what next, a ride being in a trash compactor?

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 15:33 on May 2, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Norton posted:

a librarian told me drunk guys at bars in the 80s and 90s used to call up libraries all the time to settle trivia poo poo.

Yeah, it was common to have "information desks" in libraries where they'd look up stuff for you.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Those librarians mainly served as homework helpers.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1653395211559612416?s=20

just crash already geez

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1653399162191331328

wow what a killjoy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Reuters saying the quiet part out loud again: that the unemployment rate ought to be higher than the job openings rate

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1653407859537846272

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s already happening and OpenAI is tiptoeing around how much access they have to what people have been sending it to compose work emails for them

They would have 100% access.

It's an API call. You're sending them the information. Unless they went to great pains to set things up in a way to not allow them to collect it or just aren't bothering to collect it, they have it.

What they claim is they don't use it for anything... which... well....

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I guess he has a deathwish, because you don’t get in the way of Number

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Have you looked into how he wants you to live if you're a student?

https://www.dezeen.com/2021/11/18/charlie-munger-windowless-dorm-dana-cuff-opinion/

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

Reuters saying the quiet part out loud again: that the unemployment rate ought to be higher than the job openings rate

please dont work anymore :ohdear:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I guess he has a deathwish, because you don’t get in the way of Number

nah by the look of him he's swimming in adrenochrome in his underground lazarus pit.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Buffer posted:

They would have 100% access.

It's an API call. You're sending them the information. Unless they went to great pains to set things up in a way to not allow them to collect it or just aren't bothering to collect it, they have it.

What they claim is they don't use it for anything... which... well....

Considering all the LLM's want more data to train on constantly after scraping the entire internet, i would be absolutely dumbfounded if they weren't using everything you sent them as training data. They might not be storing the data after it gets used, but if it's already in the model, there's no way to remove it.

And now I'm curious if there's literally any way for them to remove data from a model after it's already been trained on.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Norton posted:

should have told them to gently caress off and buy the Guinness book of world records like it was designed for

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Frosted Flake posted:

It can’t write in LaTeX or do basic logic, it’s kind of infuriating.

e: I thought the thread of well paid computer touchers would have seen how hard it is to get it to do math.

I'm a poorly paid math degree holder and much like the people in other technical subjects reporting chatgpt spews authoritative sounding results that are ultimately wrong, yeah, it's actually pretty bad at math. math that computers are actually good at, already, chatgpt is still horrifically bad at. poo poo I can plug straight into wolfram mathematica and get a correct answer from, chatgpt fucks up. so yeah it's only a revolution if you think undergrads who are wrong but sound convincing are the be all end all

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/harikunzru/status/1653391872172126214

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

One thing in the article stood out to me. They are looking to get ex-offenders back into the regular workforce. Like not as prison slave labor, but like regular wage labor (low bar, but still). Things must be pretty dire if number is allowing that to happen.

Granted, it is just a single one off line in the story, so maybe I am reading too much into it. Same paragraph as trying to get minorities off the labor sidelines, and getting disabled people into the workforce. It’s almost like some groups are realizing that stomping on the lowest employees endlessly isn’t going to work any more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

🤔
Computer people are destroying human individuality and creativity.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

It's been an eternal recession for anyone not in the plutarchy since 2008

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Orvin posted:

One thing in the article stood out to me. They are looking to get ex-offenders back into the regular workforce. Like not as prison slave labor, but like regular wage labor (low bar, but still). Things must be pretty dire if number is allowing that to happen.

I'm inclined to say your intuition is absolutely spot on

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

How many "perfect storms" and "once every thousand year floods" can we have every year before we realize it's just a "normal storm" and "normal flood" now

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

poemdexter posted:

Considering all the LLM's want more data to train on constantly after scraping the entire internet, i would be absolutely dumbfounded if they weren't using everything you sent them as training data. They might not be storing the data after it gets used, but if it's already in the model, there's no way to remove it.

And now I'm curious if there's literally any way for them to remove data from a model after it's already been trained on.

The data isn't really there anymore to be redacted - it was an input element of a large set of statistical weights which will change based on other elements of the training set.

You could maybe do something like train a baseline on just that data and then subtract the weights, but IDK, that wouldn't be identical to it not being in the set.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

everyone is focusing on the AI stuff but this one is much funnier IMO

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
But Steve Grove, who was until March the commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, said the state can't count on a reversal of the population trends and must focus as well on reducing barriers for current residents.

"You have to get the number of warm bodies up," he said, but "there is not one silver bullet ... It is housing, training, benefits, retention. We are looking to be more assertive."

a warm body? hey that's me. i can do that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in the USA the implementation of technology is usually a managerial prerogative that they don’t have to bargain over . I’d argue AI isn’t technology but merely a criminal enterprise

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
A bunch of regional banks with their daily share price down 20-40% today.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I can't wait until all these companies start implementing AI hardcore without realizing you still need humans to ride herd on the loving thing to catch the obvious mistakes. The fuckups are going to be glorious.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Didnt that already happen with the flash crash.
Banks went all in on trading algorithms which were operating so fast there was no way to have human oversight

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rip Testes posted:

A bunch of regional banks with their daily share price down 20-40% today.

we really are going to let these collapse and get gobbled up by the "too big to fail" banks. It is so weird to watch when the majority of the public thinks that is bad.

Good chance the market already bottomed if the recession is/has started.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
To save you time from reading an overlong twitter thread the answer to "why" is because they're dogshit

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1653408767545942019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Marenghi posted:

Didnt that already happen with the flash crash.
Banks went all in on trading algorithms which were operating so fast there was no way to have human oversight

This implies that algorithmic traders ever stopped existing. They just swore that they fixed that bug and everyone who matters just believed them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

we really are going to let these collapse and get gobbled up by the "too big to fail" banks. It is so weird to watch when the majority of the public thinks that is bad.

Well...since when did anyone in power ever give a gently caress what we thought about anything? I truly don't think that the wealthy and powerful think of us as much more than NPC guests in Rollercoaster Tycoon.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 16:31 on May 2, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

chairface posted:

I'm a poorly paid math degree holder and much like the people in other technical subjects reporting chatgpt spews authoritative sounding results that are ultimately wrong, yeah, it's actually pretty bad at math. math that computers are actually good at, already, chatgpt is still horrifically bad at. poo poo I can plug straight into wolfram mathematica and get a correct answer from, chatgpt fucks up. so yeah it's only a revolution if you think undergrads who are wrong but sound convincing are the be all end all

It's always going to be bad at this stuff because an LLM trying to explain in words how to do something is fundamentally different from, say, how Wolfram Mathematica operates. You can plug Mathematica into ChatGPT and have it spit out correct answers when it can recognize and intercept relevant queries, but that won't stop you from ending up with situations where it can give you the correct answer followed by a ton of incorrect bullshit.

You run into the exact same poo poo with programming. Even their code specific model chokes bad (to the point of producing meaningless gibberish) when pushed beyond homework problems.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

the who?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Beached Whale posted:

To save you time from reading an overlong twitter thread the answer to "why" is because they're dogshit

The amazing thing is that loving anyone ever would buy a Chrysler vehicle. I can't imagine what is going on in the head of someone who does that.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Mr Hootington posted:

The majority of the public doesn't give a poo poo.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/conner_omalley/status/1125861403393392644?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

Yeah, the answer here is that automakers (and American automakers in particular) chase trends in a way that's incredibly shortsighted even by American business standards.