Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I really need to reread all the SBSes, Oda loves to drop hints in there.

Like, he was calling Buggy his favorite character at a point Pre-Impel Down when Buggy really hadnt done much yet

Or the way he was talking about how the Skypiea campfire was one of his favorite scenes to draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I did it.

I’m finally caught up with One Piece.

What am I supposed to do with my life now??

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Meme and slowly descend into reading the scanlations.

What were your favorite arcs?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Basic answer, but Water 7/Enies Lobby really is that good.

Edit: misread thought that directed at the entire thread and not a single poster lol

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I was right here when I caught up during Marineford and it was brutal

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I know who the man with the burn mark is

its joe mama

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Basic answer, but Water 7/Enies Lobby really is that good.

Edit: misread thought that directed at the entire thread and not a single poster lol

gently caress it, answer away anyway.

Thriller Bark is probably my favorite overall, but I also loved Water 7/Enies Lobby mostly because of Sogeking tbh.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I watch Thriller Bark every October, and I always laugh just as hard as the first time I saw Luffy's wacky antics with zombie creatures.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

luffy pushin the zombie back underground is maybe the best sight gag in the seriexs

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Thriller Bark is such a smooth, refreshing experience. Fairly quick, the villain being another "i gave up" guy like Croc but owning it more, and all the soul play are just a ton of fun.

I'm also a basic bitch, tho. Water7 and Ennies Lobby is excellent. Impel Down is peak. But Whole Cake Island hangs with them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy taming Cerberus is one of the many under rated gags of Luffy being Luffy in a land of medical monstrosities. Robin is also having the time of her life, and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=runydvvIG5s

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 2, 2023

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Pirate Docking is maybe my favorite bit in the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love when an arc is strongly themed and Thriller Bark is perfect Halloweentown nonsense.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Meme and slowly descend into reading the scanlations.

What were your favorite arcs?

Overall I just want to say how much I loved how controlled and planned this story always felt. An immense amount of good will is given from the audience when your stories feel this satisfyingly self contained while pushing a grander, expanding narrative along. So arcs that I would consider to really be ‘peak’ feel that way largely because they’re paying off what’s been building up so much.

For me, the best of the best is probably Marineford. And I expect Oda to top that with the climax of this story soon which is so exciting. The board being set up for this end game continues to intrigue and exceed expectations.

But I don’t want to sound too basic. I think the smaller arcs are really underrated bc they have to compete with these huge fight scenes. Sabaody, Zou and Reverie all do so much for the world in their smaller timescales while giving these really satisfying stories in themselves.

In short, favorite arc…Wano. Or Marineford.

Least favorite…easily Punk Hazard (though looking back I see the importance). Or Syrup Village but that feels mean.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mine is impel down. it was so dynamic, tense and strange.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

And it shows off the GOAT, my man Bon Clay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you haven't done so, I recommend looking up anime clips for some of your favorite moments (and im sure the thread can also think of standout moments to watch). Although the anime is poorly paced it does have the benefit of movement and music, so in-universe songs like Binks' Sake take on a way bigger emotional role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClnlNUOwRAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfSPMXBZts

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

^Yes!! I intend to watch the last four movies, the full Wano arc, and the G-8 filler arc as well.^

Impel Down had my favorite moment in the entire series, which continues to pay off today.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one of the best pages in the manga. maybe even the best

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I like the version where he said "Satisfaction!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bon clay better come back for the big finale

He's easily hands down my favorite non-straw hat

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh, yeah. I guess that was a moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bon Clay is such an amazing friend :shobon:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
cant luffy easily break into impel down by himself and use advanced armament/observation haki to finesse magellans venom

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Sabaody, Zou and Reverie all do so much for the world in their smaller timescales while giving these really satisfying stories in themselves.

The twist in Zou knocks me on my rear end every loving time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

cant luffy easily break into impel down by himself and use advanced armament/observation haki to finesse magellans venom

I don’t think Luffy can even be adversely affected by poisons that aren’t ultra-virile “kill any normal person in like a minute” stuff at this point. But he probably could just dumpster everything in there at this point just with conquerors haki. Or punching them with conquerors haki when the intimidation force field gets nosold.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah actually highest tier haki users being able to beat down people without even touching does help make sense as to why magellian is a prison warden and not an admiral sailing around noselling most of the worlds pirates

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MorningMoon posted:

:yeah:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

They def had me going too

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
luffy's resistant to poison but magellan could probably still get through that resistance. when magellan really gets going, he can poison inanimate objects. luffy would kick his rear end first, though.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Big Mom's introduction in the anime is one of my fave things ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiPHd8nLfSI

I love when the thread discusses their favorite One Piece moments. Because there's so many amazing moments, there's always a couple that I'd forgotten about myself.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

On the topic of best OP moments: When Luffy Law and Kid appear unscathed after orochi's perfect counter attack pre wano . It was long established how unstoppable kaido and big mom were but man that chapter really drove home the idea Luffy could actually win.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

No Wave posted:

This is where Blackbeard's "generation" status gets confusing.

This is from forever ago, but I'm just now catching up with this topic:

"The worst Generation" are all of the pirate crews that started up around same time as Luffy and the rest of the Supernovas.

The Supernovas are the pirates of The Worst Generation who managed to get a 100 million bounty before reaching the New World.

Blackbeard is in The Worst Generation despite being much older than most of them because his crew got started at that time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MorningMoon posted:

It's so loving good :hai:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Adder Moray posted:

This is from forever ago, but I'm just now catching up with this topic:

"The worst Generation" are all of the pirate crews that started up around same time as Luffy and the rest of the Supernovas.

The Supernovas are the pirates of The Worst Generation who managed to get a 100 million bounty before reaching the New World.

Blackbeard is in The Worst Generation despite being much older than most of them because his crew got started at that time.

To be exact any pirate that gets 100 mil in their first active year is a Supernova. Caribou was explicitly one of the current years Supernovas.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's break week so enjoy some anime:

https://youtu.be/52CaFipzpI8

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Zoro is cool

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He’s so rad.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hes just like a samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched Film Red last night and had a really great time with it. Perfectly overstimulating without losing the plot. Loved the music and the cameos of characters and places was just the kind of fan service I enjoy. Bepoooooo!!