Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Finger Prince posted:

First road trip of the year today! Nothing too ambitious, just down to Seattle from Vancouver via the scenic route, stop at chuckanut brewery and pick up some cans of their Italian pilsner if they have any. Then on the 4th from Seattle to Port Angeles, via Olympia and the 101 if I set out early enough, Gig Harbour or the Edmonds ferry if I don't. Catch the 2pm ferry to Victoria, stop in at mom's, then catch probably the 7pm ferry back to tsawwassen and home.
:siren: cherry blossoms warning in full effect in victoria :siren:

im planning a day trip from vic over to port angeles and head up to the north of the peninsula and do like a counter clockwise loop back to the ferry. we drove from port angeles on the 101 to seattle, went all the way through olympia, in feb and its such a good road even in a fully packed toyota matrix but wished i was on my moto. i have to say the I5 from olympia to seattle was some of the most stressful driving ive ever done. hit it at rush hour, wasn't sure which lane to pick but just went for the HOV and drove at 130+ kph until we got to our very quickly approaching exit to our air bnb lol, people merging all over the place. On the positive my experience was that people in that stretch of I5 in the main seattle area let other people merge over, maybe its the left lane exits all over the place and a sense of sympathy. im also not used to that kind of freeway driving but regardless it was still totally hosed. didnt see too many motos either, but it was february.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I’m further down I5 in Portland, but I avoid it as much as I can because it’s surrounded by beautiful roads and countryside but is itself deadly dull boring.

I took back roads to Olympia and the freeway home last week on a lark and it was night and day. The trip up took almost twice as long, but was immeasurably more fun than the straight shot back down.

numberoneposter posted:

it was february.

this was also a factor in why you didn’t see many too, of course

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

i have to say the I5 from olympia to seattle was some of the most stressful driving ive ever done.

i-5 in and around seattle can get hosed. freeways shouldn't have entrances/exits on the left and i-5 has so many

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Everyone shits all over their local drivers, but I have to say, Seattle area drivers are on the whole pretty chill and not hyper aggressive like back east or what the actual gently caress are you doing like Vancouver. There's still the dickheads, and busted up driving wrecks, but I've seen much much worse.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I just got a quote for mount and balance with me bringing the wheels in of $120

as an added bonus they'll scratch your wheels up too.

local indy shop charges their hourly rate ($110/hr) to mount new tires on Wings and baggers if you don't take the wheels off yourself

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I loving hate changing tires with a burning passion.
But I also need to frequently change back and forth between paddles and reg tires. I should just get extra wheels but I got three bikes, $$$

Actually I'm not sure the KLX140 really needs a paddle tire. It tends to just dig down

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll change dirtbike tires, but streetbike tires with stiff, short sidewalls are a no go

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah changing tires is the one job (aside from, like, precision machining like boring or decking) that i will not do myself. gently caress that noise.

if i had a tire machine sure. but i don't so i am not putting myself through that poo poo again. i got a guy who does them for 35 bucks each off the bike and that's perfect.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I didn't want to pay the dealer $100 for a mount and balance so I did one pair myself on the floor with tire irons, and then I spent $600 on a tire machine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

I didn't want to pay the dealer $100 for a mount and balance so I did one pair myself on the floor with tire irons, and then I spent $600 on a tire machine.

This is the way

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

When I closed my shop I sold most of the big stuff but I kept the tire machine because gently caress that

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Looks like the weather up the peninsula is going to be kinda poo poo tomorrow and I'm fuckin tired as poo poo so I think I might just head back north the usual way, with a detour up chuckanut drive. Save me some money on the ferries too.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Finger Prince posted:

Everyone shits all over their local drivers, but I have to say, Seattle area drivers are on the whole pretty chill and not hyper aggressive like back east or what the actual gently caress are you doing like Vancouver. There's still the dickheads, and busted up driving wrecks, but I've seen much much worse.

I’d much rather hyper aggressive east coasters than whatever the gently caress people are doing in Seattle. 10 under 5 wide on the I5 with not a care in the world.

I never had road rage until I moved here.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Quite A Tool posted:

I’d much rather hyper aggressive east coasters than whatever the gently caress people are doing in Seattle. 10 under 5 wide on the I5 with not a care in the world.

Yeah.

Perfect example this morning on 99 south of PDX: 2 left turn lanes onto a 5 mile section of hwy 99 bypass. When the light turned green, one guy at the front in some sedan races past the guy in the other lane to make himself the front of the column entering the hwy. And then apparently sets cruise control to ~48mph in a 55 and does not give a gently caress. Traffic piles up.

I eventually passed him, but it's a tricky pass because it was raining and you just know some assholes do not have their lights on at all.

Like, what the gently caress is wrong with these people. I would die of shame and embarrassment if I looked into my mirror and saw what I was causing.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I stopped stressing about how many people would pile up behind me in a 25 mph zone when I had a 50cc scooter because I knew it was a fraction of how many people were stuck behind your average Subaru.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
sometimes it seems like 95% of the forums live in the pnw

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

sometimes it seems like 95% of the forums live in the pnw

It's the spiritual home of computer touchers isn't it

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I wasn’t a computer toucher until I moved to the PNW so this tracks.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I was born in the PNW and got jumped into computer touching pretty young, I think they had us programming with Logo in the first or second grade (mid-80's).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TotalLossBrain posted:

and you just know some assholes do not have their lights on at all.

General old man yells at cloud from me here, but this poo poo where people just live on their DRLs and don't have any rear lights after sundown has to loving stop.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

General old man yells at cloud from me here, but this poo poo where people just live on their DRLs and don't have any rear lights after sundown has to loving stop.
Signed.

That and all the dipshits driving around on high beams 24/7

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Chris Knight posted:

Signed.

That's just the 8ft hood height new pickups. If the headlights are 7ft above the road, low beams are high beams.

How about the rare moron driving around with a light bar? Saw an old dilapidated pickup a few weeks ago that had nothing but a light bar, driving in the dark.
About a week ago some dude in a Q35 blinded me in broad daylight with a stupid light bar.
Why???

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Signed.

My CX-30 came from the dealership with the headlights aimed super high. Took multiple people flashing their high beams at me to realize what was up, but the owner's manual seemed to imply adjusting the height was impossible so I just lived with it for a few seasons before I got fed up and poked around the housings. Sorry to all those people. :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Have you tried rolling a joint while knee steering at 70mph? That poo poo is stressful.

Seriously though I think it's the transplants that have the hardest time adjusting to west coast pace. People just aren't in a hurry, and if you are, why are you in a hurry man? Just chill my dude.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

For real, the scenery is beautiful, the air is clean and the tap water is delicious. Slow down and enjoy it a little.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You can do so at a rest stop / pull over. Please don't hold up the rest of us

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I eventually passed him, but it's a tricky pass because it was raining and you just know some assholes do not have their lights on at all.

I took this picture over the weekend to illustrate how loving wild it is how many people think it's A-OK to drive their gray and silver cars with zero lights on when this is your typical visibility through mirrors.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

Seriously though I think it's the transplants that have the hardest time adjusting to west coast pace. People just aren't in a hurry, and if you are, why are you in a hurry man? Just chill my dude.

My impression of Vancouver is that its perfectly fine compared to Alberta where at least 2-3 times a year someone will randomly try to pit manoeuver you changing over three lanes to make an exit they already missed by 50 meters. I am convinced that EVs will park themselves in the HOV lane as some sort of prestige thing without ever actually intending to use the HOV lane for its intended purpose of bypassing traffic though.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Washington, at least western Washington, has zero concept of what a passing lane is. They have signs but it does nothing. If the lanes are all going the same speed I’ll stay to the right thinking I’m setting a good example, but I fear my legacy won’t be realized until long after I’m gone.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The people driving the slowest are also the worst drivers. I’m not exaggerating about them having one tire in the bike lane the whole time. Slow doesn’t bug me nearly as much as people who are obviously doing their best to drive as safely as possible but are actually a huge danger to everyone around them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I think what gets people is always illuminated electronic instrument displays instead of dials that you can't read when it got too dark, so you don't get that reminder anymore.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Finger Prince posted:

Have you tried rolling a joint while knee steering at 70mph? That poo poo is stressful.

bizwank posted:

For real, the scenery is beautiful, the air is clean and the tap water is delicious. Slow down and enjoy it a little.

Here are a couple things:

1) Sure it'd be great if no one's job depended on being someplace on time, or we could always just leave 15 minutes earlier, but unfortunately for those of us trapped in lovely jobs in this hellscape country, it's not an option. People cruising along at 5 under while they roll a joint and block traffic, and then saying everyone just needs to chill, is pretty entitled. I would encourage you to go get a job with a beer distributor in Portland, be given 20 supermarkets/bars accross the metro area, and told to wrap that up in 8-10 hours. See how you feel after doing that for awhile.

2) It's actively unsafe and endangers peoples' lives. That speed differential, a sudden lane change without signalling (cause who uses those anymore), or heck just existing on a motorcycle in traffic where some driver can't accurately judge motorcycle distance and speed. That's how people get horrifically rear ended.

So rather than just taking a laissez faire chill out attitude, I would love it if PNW drivers would be forced to learn how to properly operate their one ton missles, and then also actually do so according to some generally agreed upon principles, such as, don't cruise in the passing lane!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

1) Those comments were tongue-in-cheek, nobody's actually advocating for that stuff in this thread. I've had a long-commute job (an hour each way on I5) and I drove around WA commercially for a few years. Believe me, I've felt that pain.

2) PNW drivers will never, ever get better at driving. All you can do is try to spend less time on the road and/or work on making peace with our imperfect society (and ATGATT). Your blood pressure will probably thank you either way.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fluffs McCloud posted:

1) Sure it'd be great if no one's job depended on being someplace on time, or we could always just leave 15 minutes earlier, but unfortunately for those of us trapped in lovely jobs in this hellscape country, it's not an option. People cruising along at 5 under while they roll a joint and block traffic, and then saying everyone just needs to chill, is pretty entitled. I would encourage you to go get a job with a beer distributor in Portland, be given 20 supermarkets/bars accross the metro area, and told to wrap that up in 8-10 hours. See how you feel after doing that for awhile.

2) It's actively unsafe and endangers peoples' lives. That speed differential, a sudden lane change without signalling (cause who uses those anymore), or heck just existing on a motorcycle in traffic where some driver can't accurately judge motorcycle distance and speed. That's how people get horrifically rear ended.

So rather than just taking a laissez faire chill out attitude, I would love it if PNW drivers would be forced to learn how to properly operate their one ton missles, and then also actually do so according to some generally agreed upon principles, such as, don't cruise in the passing lane!

Sounds like you need to chill out a bit, maybe take a hike or go jump in a lake, both of which are really nice things to do to relax up here, and I don't know why everyone gets so wound up when I suggest it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bizwank posted:

PNW drivers will never, ever get better at driving. All you can do is try to spend less time on the road and/or work on making peace with our imperfect society (and ATGATT). Your blood pressure will probably thank you either way.

This, and also ride back roads

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

I think what gets people is always illuminated electronic instrument displays instead of dials that you can't read when it got too dark, so you don't get that reminder anymore.
Canada as of 2021 says cars have to have 1 of 3 options for getting the rear lights to turn on when the DRLs are on, so it'll very slowly get better lol. One of them is legit going back to how the instrument lights aren't on until the headlights go on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do American market cars simply not have auto headlights? Most of the time if I see someone with no tail lights it's because the sensor has failed/been obstructed and they have no idea

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Imagine a place where traffic was dictated by everyone who believed their time was more important than everyone else's.
What would you even call such a utopia?
...Chur-on-no...
It sounds beautiful. I'll bet traffic flows there like maple sap after the first spring thaw! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Do American market cars simply not have auto headlights? Most of the time if I see someone with no tail lights it's because the sensor has failed/been obstructed and they have no idea

No they do not typically come as a standard option. Regardless, half the cars on the road are old husks that are barely able to move under their own power.