Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

looks like the pedestrian fatality rate is like 3 times higher in states like new mexico, arizona, etc.

https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/states/statespedestrians.aspx

State by state, yeah. but as far as cities go New York #1 baybeeee

“The best way to gauge the safety of a city is not in terms of total numbers, which will always be biased against the largest cities, but in rate per 100,000 people. We are proud to say that data shows New York City is actually one of the safest cities in America to be a pedestrian,” DOT spokesperson Vincent Barone said in a statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah there's a YIMBY vs NIMBY fight going on in a nearby suburb, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_Village,_Kansas. The YIMBYs want to rezone so that they can build tiny houses in backyards and make it easier to build smaller houses and duplexes.

The YIMBYs want to be landlords

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

webcams for christ posted:

State by state, yeah. but as far as cities go New York #1 baybeeee

kinda important to adjust for population when comparing cities like this

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah the YIMBY side specifically mentions ADUs for renting out to earn passive income.

Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yeah the YIMBY side specifically mentions ADUs for renting out to earn passive income.

loving scum

Apr 7, 2003

There is no creature on this earth lower than a landlord

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure their optimal depth is six feet under

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The NIMBYs are landlords who want to protect their turf.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

its actually insanely smart to trade the very small chance of homicide for the super-common chance of vehicular homicide

In 2021 26,031 were murdered, a total of 38,824 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2020. Similar ballpark.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

fermun posted:

YIMBYs want particular fast food restaurants like Chipotle and want department stores like Targets (with Starbucks inside), but they don't want to see poor people/minorities

there should be more chipotles and targets

Apr 7, 2003

46K dead from car attacks in 2022, that's a huge jump from 2021. lmao. lol

https://jalopnik.com/u-s-traffic-deaths-estimated-to-rise-to-46-000-for-202-1850223956

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

so funny even adam smith was like lol these people don't do poo poo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

New York City: famous for not having pedestrian fatalities

Surprised there aren't more considered they'll build up a lead in the street like they're trying to steal second base. It was kinda fun to do it with them though ngl, when in Rome.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

in public transit news we got new, clearer signage in every train station as of this morning

https://twitter.com/vincent_ducrot/status/1653289555905204229

Noooooo I want the clacky signs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Surprised there aren't more considered they'll build up a lead in the street like they're trying to steal second base. It was kinda fun to do it with them though ngl, when in Rome.

gently caress cars i go out into the lanes and stare down the slow rear end last driver of each traffic blob like "speed the gently caress up idiot im trying to cross here and im waiting on your slow but deadly rear end to get out of the way. you waiting for the loving yellow or sonething?" when they are taking their sweet time

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

in like 2011-12 nimby had a really specific definition: an older homeowner who approved of development or transit or walkability in the abstract but never when it would have a chance of impacting them and was omnipresent at local meetings. so saying you’re a yimby was just a way of saying “no I would like this in my neighborhood”

fast forward a decade and internet memes and echo chambers (I don’t feel like this is the right term for what I’m trying to get across but I’m not going to waste time trying to suss it out) now mean that a self-identified yimby is a dead-eyed libertarian who has shitfits when someone says that maybe endless 5-over-1s that invariably have a noodles and company and planet fitness in the bottom (if the retail space manages to rent out at all) are maybe not a panacea for cities. nimby meanwhile has now been diluted into a meaningless term, although the original ones still exist

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/streetsblognyc/status/1653811158015508480

https://twitter.com/cooperlund/status/1653831396199215104

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Greg12 posted:

Sadly they've been gone from the platforms for at least a decade. The only mechanical signs that were kept are the big departure signs in large train stations.

Apr 7, 2003

Noosphere posted:

Sadly they've been gone from the platforms for at least a decade. The only mechanical signs that were kept are the big departure signs in large train stations.

dark future

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

my parents moved us to the suburbs after the 3rd murder of a woman in the elevator of our apartment building in 2 years. still sad that I didn't have more formative years in the Bronx but I kind of get it. they moved back eventually

in public transit news we got new, clearer signage in every train station as of this morning

https://twitter.com/vincent_ducrot/status/1653289555905204229

Lmao we also got better screens sometime in the last two months. Is there some travelling screen peddler hitting up the alpine republics?

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Sadly the SBB as a state-owned corporation has a profit motive. Things aren't as bad as in the rest of the EU, but the EU is pushing hard for more privatization

Edit: it feels good to bike to work and work with trains. Trains and bikes good, cars bad :haibrow:

Noosphere has issued a correction as of 21:17 on May 3, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Killed in an unprotected bike lane by a truck driver making a right turn. probably a right turn on red. Also neither street is a trucking road.

quote:

Uster is now the 13th cyclist to die on the streets of New York City so far this year — the highest death toll since the start of Vision Zero in 2014.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 21:21 on May 3, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Killed in an unprotected bike lane by a truck driver making a right turn. probably a right turn on red
NYC doesn't have right on red

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Some piece of poo poo in there downvoting pro-cyclists. Apparently a known "officer" there according to someone.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Roughly this same style of bus stop bypass was ruled discriminatory against the blind but the Human Rights Tribunal here lol. I'm sympathetic to it a little bit but also if that's dangerous to the blind then what about *gestures at rest of pedestrian infrastructure*

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Greg12 posted:

as Noosphere said, we haven't had clacky signs on platforms for quite some time, but all of the platform clocks are still mechanical, with a second hand that takes 58.5 second to rotate, pausing at :00 before receiving the next minute impulse from the Master Clock

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mystes posted:

doesn’t have straight on red either yet I see both all the time in Brooklyn

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I bet that cyclist was acting aggressively and maybe even, gasp, being loud and therefore deserved death. Just another day on the mean subways streets of ny

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mystes posted:

That is a lockdown and a violation of rights!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

as Noosphere said, we haven't had clacky signs on platforms for quite some time, but all of the platform clocks are still mechanical, with a second hand that takes 58.5 second to rotate, pausing at :00 before receiving the next minute impulse from the Master Clock

I LOVE YOU, K-CHONK CLOCK

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Have we considered that Vision Zero might be the cause of the increase in deaths?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ham Equity posted:

Have we considered that Vision Zero might be the cause of the increase in deaths?

Vision Zero Pedestrians

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Greg12 posted:

I LOVE YOU, K-CHONK CLOCK

Way off topic but if you like the chonk clock, Mondaine sells official watches in the style

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they are repaving outside and its like benzine city over here. gently caress the automobile

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This argument is going nowhere as long as the average person thinks NYC is the only way a decent city can look (eg bottom person, not middle person). "City" is literally any incorporated community in the US. And there's a lot of willful ignorance too because we have this dumb urban-rural political divide.

One of my parents grew up in a small town in the northeastern US. Crucially, the town was built before the prevalence of cars and single-use zoning.

Their home was within comfortable walking distance of a grocery store, a restaurant, a park, a church, a bookstore, a hardware store, a post office, and probably other places that I can't remember. If you walked the same distance away from town, you'd be standing in a corn field.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Real hurthling! posted:

they are repaving outside and its like benzine city over here. gently caress the automobile

I've got a manualmobile

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

it's this, it's always this, it's always some bullshit about rezoning to allow lovely cabins in backyards so that middle class people who can't afford to buy extra property can rent out a garden shed for $1200/mo, or for money to subsidize the purchase of additional houses so that middle class people who can't afford to buy extra property can get help to buy extra property to rent out, it's always some bullshit about the petitest end of the petite bourgeoisie wanting to get boosted into the rentier class to join the orgy of extraction before the music stops

that or it's about developers wanting to build endless 5-over-1s to sit 87% vacant until they collapse from water damage or burn down.

Weka
May 5, 2019

What do you fellows think about these new driverless taxis roaming the streets?

https://ktla.com/morning-news/waymo-self-driving-car-ride-demo-san-francisco/

Personally I support the butlerian jihad but for unrelated reasons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, at least the AI won't get drunk?

I would have said that it wouldn't get road rage or car brain, but that's probably optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Soup du Jour posted:

in like 2011-12 nimby had a really specific definition: an older homeowner who approved of development or transit or walkability in the abstract but never when it would have a chance of impacting them and was omnipresent at local meetings. so saying you’re a yimby was just a way of saying “no I would like this in my neighborhood”

fast forward a decade and internet memes and echo chambers (I don’t feel like this is the right term for what I’m trying to get across but I’m not going to waste time trying to suss it out) now mean that a self-identified yimby is a dead-eyed libertarian who has shitfits when someone says that maybe endless 5-over-1s that invariably have a noodles and company and planet fitness in the bottom (if the retail space manages to rent out at all) are maybe not a panacea for cities. nimby meanwhile has now been diluted into a meaningless term, although the original ones still exist

I think these are actual NIMBYs because I drive by one house that has an RBG sign, one of those "all people are legal we believe in science" signs and a stop rezoning sign