Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

In Wings of the Goddess if you do the Windurst campaign all the catgirls instantly go into mad heat because the sole catboy is in town

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

In Wings of the Goddess if you do the Windurst campaign all the catgirls instantly go into mad heat because the sole catboy is in town

Somewhere, G'Raha Tia breathes a sigh of relief that he's in a different reality and doesn't have to deal with that

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'd argue X's is also supposed to be front and center. One of the big FMV scenes is just the two protags smooching (while Yuna's adopted Cat Dad stands 20 feet away starring at the ground)
The thing about VIII is that Square explicitly described it as having "love" as a prominent theme before its release--part of why the logo is Squall and Rinoa embracing.

But yeah, X (and IX) did do it better.

As far as other forms of love, Terra in FFVI is a good example of αγάπη, and FFXV absolutely nailed φιλία. Which makes me wonder, which FFs have handled στοργή well?

(My phone's autocorrect switched "FFXV" to "FFXIV." Weird.)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Steiner? Yeah the guy with immaculate eyeliner is super straight lmao

https://twitter.com/freesiavacadoo/status/1630991243814600709?s=46&t=GRcp5atrsil9fAYTazhq9Q

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
steiner rules

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Now I'm just thinking about what the queerest FF might be.

XIII has the Actual Lesbians (even if they were too cowardly to actually say it outright in the game's writing), XIV wrote an entire raid series around the sapphic love between a prep girl and a goth girl, XV is fairly homoerotic although I'm pretty sure that's unintentional...

For some reason my brain also want's to put V in the contending, but I'm not sure why exactly beyond Faris just being an icon.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the homoeroticism is intentional

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

XIII has the Actual Lesbians (even if they were too cowardly to actually say it outright in the game's writing), XIV wrote an entire raid series around the sapphic love between a prep girl and a goth girl, XV is fairly homoerotic although I'm pretty sure that's unintentional...

For some reason my brain also want's to put V in the contending, but I'm not sure why exactly beyond Faris just being an icon.

The werewolf dude is totally a bear.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
V is far and away the least romantic FF game that actually has characters. There's just nothing going on there with anyone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like that FF featured a couple of gay people in one of the logos.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nvm

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 4, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

am really excited that Clive is going to gently caress

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

biceps crimes posted:

he wont

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

biceps crimes posted:

Clive is only an accessory to the gently caress

Cid fucks everyone he’s such a Samantha

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I find it hard to believe anyone is going to score, but I want to believe. Like Beavis & Butt-Head.

jokes posted:

Clive is only an accessory to the gently caress

Cid fucks everyone he’s such a Samantha

Oh snap, Kim Cattrall was the bomb in Mannequin!!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

its gotta be XIV if only bc they're significantly less coy about it all

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you are in real life then you are gay in final fantasy 14 and if you are straight you are also gay in the game it is unavoidable

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

His 2 character moments in Disc 3 are just him and Beatrix confessing to one another and then getting knight engaged (Fighting back to back to save your burning kingdom).

I'm sorry but sadly he is not gay,

classic lavender marriage

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute
If you think of the concept of “killing” as male, since men can only kill life and not create it, then Stranger of Paradise is the gayest Final Fantasy. Nobody has ever loved anything as much as Jack loves the idea of killing Chaos.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's gonna gently caress them all

up

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
you heard it it first:
Clive and Jack hug and kiss each other in the Final Fantasy XVI DLC

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

FF3PR in the can and take everything I said about the balance being off near the end of 2 and amplify it 100x times for 3 how in the profound gently caress was anyone expected to do the world of darkness without like 5+ hours of grinding, I remember hitting the wall in the DS remake like 15 years ago because of how drat long it was without a restock and heal point them giving you 4 feels almost like an apology for how insane everything in the WoD is. Still greatly enjoyed my time with 3 but some decisions like giving you arguably the 2 most important jobs as you walk into the final megadungeon is the kind of thing a crazy person would do, as is giving you access to Dark Knights but not their weapons like half the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The main thing about Steiner's design that I remember is that he wears those metal shoe things but he has no socks. Those must chafe.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Steiner's design is hard for me to pin down: He's kind of basically a Brian Froud version of an English Bobby? There's a good deal of Labyrinth in there. Hes also kind of the version of "Lawful Neutral" like Judge Dredd but hes got so much heart. Hes just Steiner to me. The whole cast of FF9 is so out there.

What were the character's stated inspirations? Did I narrow it down?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like that you customise Steiner's last name, not his first name.
High comedy potential.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wizard2 posted:

Steiner's design is hard for me to pin down: He's kind of basically a Brian Froud version of an English Bobby? There's a good deal of Labyrinth in there. Hes also kind of the version of "Lawful Neutral" like Judge Dredd but hes got so much heart. Hes just Steiner to me. The whole cast of FF9 is so out there.

he's inspector zenigata

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's inspector zenigata

drat he is

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard2 posted:

Steiner is also the only completely human-(looking) permanently playable character of FFIX. Garnet used to have a horn, Amarant is blue, everyone else is either some other kind of thing or has a tail or horn or something.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's inspector zenigata

nice!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's inspector zenigata

huh

yeah that tracks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

now that I know, even visually you can see the reference

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finished SoP. It absolutely owns. The last stretch is some of the best poo poo. I’ll echo that the ending made way more sense than it had any right to. I like Jack as a protagonist more than like 90% of the others in FF games. Well done, Team Ninja

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Speaking of gay characters Fang and Vanille right? Is that creepy? How old even is Vanille meant to be?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kullik posted:

Speaking of gay characters Fang and Vanille right? Is that creepy? How old even is Vanille meant to be?

I think Vanille is 20 at least, but FF ages sometimes feel like they made them after everything else about the game.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Vanille is 19 and Fang is 21, not counting crystal stasis shenanigans.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

bobjr posted:

I think Vanille is 20 at least, but FF ages sometimes feel like they made them after everything else about the game.

Yeah cause she sort of gets lumped in with hope for a lot of the story and he is like a tiny baby in video game terms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kullik posted:

Yeah cause she sort of gets lumped in with hope for a lot of the story and he is like a tiny baby in video game terms.

Huh? She is paired with Sazh, not Hope. She is partnered with him for like five minutes in the opening.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? She is paired with Sazh, not Hope.

I mean like at the start she's in the same weird robe things with him having hung back while the adults dealt with the rebellion thing and she's like referred to as one of the "kids" and that a lot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ngl I got some big sister/kid sister vibes out of Fang and Vanille towards the end of the game. There's some incidental stuff between Vanille and Hope that's kinda flirty on Pulse too. I think overall however that was just more the writers/localization not as willing to commit to the romance as, say, Ryne and Gaia. To me there's a lot more romantic overtones between basically any pairing of the FF15 dudes, or even Aerith and Tifa a bit in 7R.

Kullik posted:

I mean like at the start she's in the same weird robe things with him having hung back while the adults dealt with the rebellion thing and she's like referred to as one of the "kids" and that a lot

When I was playing I was thinking she was way too young/small to be Fang's girlfriend but then in the same game Snow and Serah are engaged and Serah is an adult despite looking like she weighs 40 lbs.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vanille and Fang's last woman on pulse relationship is above board as much as being the last woman on pulse relationship can be.