Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

:confused: if it was a picture the result would be the same.

Why are you confused? That nail is the wrong tool for hanging a picture too. The results would be the same because in both cases somebody is being dumb. If you absolutely insist on using nails at least use ones that are the right length for it. Conveniently, the correct length is easy to figure out: they come with the hanging kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would have punctured the A/C thing as I drove a drywall anchor into the wall, please stop being angry about it being a nail instead

also lol, "the hanging kit"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For want of a nail, etc.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The nail was the wrong tool for that particular job, but there are also rules about not having things in the wall within a certain distance of the surface without it being armored in case someone wants to put a screw into the wall.

... At least there are with electrical and I think plumbing. I've never even considered running air conditioning lines through the wall cavity like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
No see you're supposed to hang everything with command strips/poster putty like a college student. No risk of puncturing anything then! :pseudo:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Picture rails need to make a comeback.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I use those little brass picture hangers that come with nails that Home Depot sells because they don’t back out of the hole like a regular nail. Hope that’s not crappy construction?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cool Dad posted:

If there's a dense metal object in the wall would a cheap stud finder report it as a stud? I don't really even know how stud finders work tbh I just assumed they'd use ir or something and find anything denser than the surrounding material.

Yes. I had one reporting the entire wall opposite (behind) my service entrance panel was a stud.

Stud finders work one of 2(3) main ways:
Magnets (find the nails holding the wall panel to the stud)
Dielectric constant detectors.
The second kind are the ones that will also find live power lines, pipes, and other metallic objects in the wall in addition to studs.

There are some radar based ones now as well, like the Wallbot which can find just about everything including the rodents in your walls.

Side note: If I don't get a call back from the garage door vendors today or tomorrow, i guess I'm doing a self install this weekend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

don't die

the coil spring in an overhead garage door is an insanely dangerous thing that you should not gently caress around with unless you are extremely certain you've got the procedure right

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

not the door, just the opener.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^^ :mad:

Leperflesh posted:

don't die

the coil spring in an overhead garage door is an insanely dangerous thing that you should not gently caress around with unless you are extremely certain you've got the procedure right

This is what I've always heard as well, so definitely......film it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if you're just hooking the opener up to the door which is already properly hung, that seems safer to do (obviously still don't die, you're putting something heavy overhead, etc.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Its hung, yes. Properly? Doubtful. (So many gaps)
I've been waiting all week for a callback from Overhead Door with no luck.

Ideally I would like to replace the door with an insulated one and an opener all at once, but if no one is gonna call me back, I'm going to install an opener on the one I have then continue waiting on callbacks for the door itself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Swapping openers on a working door is easy. I'd call it a two beer job, it can be done solo but a second set of hands makes it almost trivial. I'd never touch the spring and would be very cautious working on track but the worst you can do putting up an opener is fall off the ladder.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Net new opener, existing door. :D

It seems like a reasonable job that is pretty easy to not Gary in an afternoon.

Run a new circuit, and then follow the instructions for the rest.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
All this talk about just using a stud finder is moot since it only consistently finds the guy that's using it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leperflesh posted:

don't die

wolrah posted:

Swapping openers on a working door is easy. I'd call it a two beer job, it can be done solo but a second set of hands makes it almost trivial. I'd never touch the spring and would be very cautious working on track but the worst you can do putting up an opener is fall off the ladder.

I've replaced my springs (the windup torsion kind, not the tension style) twice now, and am not dead.
Actually, I am. I am posting from Hell, because that's what Hell is - you can never not post on SA.

FWIW, the last opener I did as a replacement had a number of nice features that made it fairly easy to install with one person, which was nice.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

All this talk about just using a stud finder is moot since it only consistently finds the guy that's using it.

That's never happened to m- waaaaaaaaaiiiiit a minute.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The house my parents live in was built by my great grandfather, a very DYI engineer kind of guy. The garage door is original, and instead of springs it has arms with counterweight buckets filled with lead scrap. It has worked fine for ~60 years, and the only real drawback I can see is that you have to avoid blocking the swing arms.

I'm sure getting rid of the lead will be a bother when the time comes to replace it, but at least there's no risk of spring death.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

The house my parents live in was built by my great grandfather, a very DYI engineer kind of guy. The garage door is original, and instead of springs it has arms with counterweight buckets filled with lead scrap. It has worked fine for ~60 years, and the only real drawback I can see is that you have to avoid blocking the swing arms.

I'm sure getting rid of the lead will be a bother when the time comes to replace it, but at least there's no risk of spring death.

Just find someone who reloads ammunition and casts their own bullets, they'll be stoked to take it off your hands.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nuevo posted:

Just find someone who reloads ammunition and casts their own bullets, they'll be stoked to take it off your hands.

Ha, that's probably a good idea. No idea how many of those are around where they live (in a town on the Oslo fjord), but it only takes one. :)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I went outside while the sun was going down at exactly the right angle to highlight a handprint and initials in the concrete patio "foundation" of my horrible Stupid Newbie room and now know who to blame for loving up this house: MH (or possibly HW). Surely there is some kind of witchcraft you can do with someone's handprint, right? I wanna curse this guy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crappy Construction: Load-Bearing Curses ITT

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 5, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

don't die

My girlfriend had parked her car in the garage at our last house but hadn't gotten out yet when the coil spring blew. She thought a shotgun had gone off in the garage.

I've also been at two different retail stores, literally seconds before walking out the garage style door, when the springs broke and the doors slammed down. Those fuckers are heavy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Crappy Construction: Load-Bearing [redacted] Curses ITT

Just as a heads-up, the word I redacted is a racist slur. A lot of people outside of Europe don't realize it. "Romani" is the proper term, but maybe don't apply an ethnicity to your curses?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wasn’t aware. With that in mind, I updated to generic load-bearing curses.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just as a heads-up, the word I redacted is a racist slur. A lot of people outside of Europe don't realize it. "Romani" is the proper term, but maybe don't apply an ethnicity to your curses?

It's also one of those complicated cultural things - the group that drive to Norway from Eastern Europe in the spring prefer Romani, the group that has lived here for a few centuries prefer sigøyner/zigeuner ("we're not even Romani!"). Reminds me of the entire "what do the different US native groups actually prefer to be called if you have to group them together" discussion.

So yeah best to just skip the entire thing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Computer viking posted:

Is DYI "Don't, You Idiot"?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hah, oops.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Yes. I had one reporting the entire wall opposite (behind) my service entrance panel was a stud.

Stud finders work one of 2(3) main ways:
Magnets (find the nails holding the wall panel to the stud)
Dielectric constant detectors.
The second kind are the ones that will also find live power lines, pipes, and other metallic objects in the wall in addition to studs.

There are some radar based ones now as well, like the Wallbot which can find just about everything including the rodents in your walls.

What kind works best if you have plaster walls?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dielectric or radar.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

toplitzin posted:

Dielectric or radar.

Atomic.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/UydVbp1.mp4

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

That guy is either incredibly brave or insane to be standing on that balcony.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The railing posts are only failing inward, not outward. Not sure what the problem is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FCKGW posted:

The railing posts are only failing inward, not outward. Not sure what the problem is.

And even so, those posts are sparse, odds are if you stumble and fall, you won’t hit one of them anyhow, so it doesn’t matter how strong they are. Seems fine to me.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
He made it safer by removing an impalement hazard. I mean, falling would suck badly enough already, can you imagine how much worse it would be to do that with an iron post through your abdomen?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Wasn’t aware. With that in mind, I updated to generic load-bearing curses.

Only the finest of crystal loving white women curses from me.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Is that like styrofoam I'm seeing under that stucco?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Kowloon Walled City, just taller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I was having this problem, turns out I accidentally bought a spud finder instead.

I'm blindly ramming screws through all sorts of poo poo but at least I know I'm a potato, and that's what matters.