Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

most zombie movies end up making the mankind devil more powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“Man is the real monster”devil.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I've said this before, but my bet is most horror films are encouraged to buff government controlled devils. It may be why Mummy movies are big now, for example.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The discussion of what we fear about death on the last page made me extremely confident that there is a Pain Devil, and it's a Primal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's with this "Before Chainsaw Man" that just showed up on Viz's site?

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/tatsuki-fujimoto-before-chainsaw-man

Is it just a collection of one shots? Also one of them has Nayuta.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
it's been around for a while. Some were fan translated on mangadex including the Nayuta one (though she's not the Nayuta from CSM): https://mangadex.org/title/991e9f15-8368-4843-a78a-5605918f9c3e/tatsuki-fujimoto-short-story-collection

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's with this "Before Chainsaw Man" that just showed up on Viz's site?

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/tatsuki-fujimoto-before-chainsaw-man

Is it just a collection of one shots? Also one of them has Nayuta.

Yeah, a collection of one-shots written by Fujimoto when he was the ages on the cover. They're decent reads, particularly the second volume. Nayuta's character design in chainsawman is recycled from one of the short stories. I like that one!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Scholtz posted:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Her name is the Fear Devil and she's loving hot as poo poo." - Tatsuki Fujimoto

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Das Boo posted:

Death is that cool horse from ED5.

Pretty sure that was a form of Gun Devil.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The government action required to censor entire movie genera would only make Makima more powerful.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

yum posted:

ya know, if it’s common knowledge that devils gain power based on specific fears, you’d think more people would want to rearrange society and it’s functions so as to lessen those fears, but it’s business as usual I guess lol

not to be too cynical but there are plenty of existential threats facing our real world today that world governments haven't exactly bent over backwards to eliminate. a lot of that is partisanship and idk how much that really applies to the csm universe but Public Safety is probably about as much infrastructure as we could expect to get

also the real answer is if they did your very sensible thing there wouldn't be a manga

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://twitter.com/Heartbreak_Juan/status/1653483763639398400?s=20

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I absolutely agree with Chiasaur that governments would use fear to buff because we already do that all the time. The Muslims want to kill you, the Communists want to enslave you, the Chinese want to make you ill, join the military and kill the bad guy, etc.

I went to pull up the films the US government approved/DoD helped write for this post and found a nice quote from the head of the US Office of War information:

Elmer Davis posted:

The easiest way to inject a propaganda idea into most people's minds is to let it go through the medium of an entertainment picture when they do not realize they're being propagandized.

So even the real world dictates your fear makes monsters stronger.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Or people would just prefer that the government not embark on a campaign of mass censorship and repression of ideas that would make 1984 look like a gentle breeze by comparison.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty sure that was a form of Gun Devil.

There are multiple horses in that ED.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

All the horses are representing the characters in that ED, the one made of hands with the gun imagery and Makima eyes all over it is Aki's horse.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/CSPerfectShot/status/1653494460850790402

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

not to be too cynical but there are plenty of existential threats facing our real world today that world governments haven't exactly bent over backwards to eliminate. a lot of that is partisanship and idk how much that really applies to the csm universe but Public Safety is probably about as much infrastructure as we could expect to get

also the real answer is if they did your very sensible thing there wouldn't be a manga

I think it has something to do with the other concepts apart from death being erased + the other concepts like nazis and such that resulted in this altered timeline. When did humans become aware of devilss? Like, the society in CSM is almost exactly like our own, but if devils existed since before the industrial revolution, medieval times, etc. there's absolutely no way it'd turn out the way it is. Why aren't there more cults, and religious people worshipping the devils for the god beings that they are? What about Christianity? Did the bible mention devils? Wouldn't that alter history due to the church following a different trajectory? You can literally make a deal with the devil and gain super powers.

Devils are either a relatively recent phenomenon from the past 100 years, or Pochita severely altered history to get where we are and humanity simply forgot some pretty enormous events, cause at the moment it feels like Devils were just transposed onto a slightly altered version of IRL reality, which doesn't make any sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was probably the actions of the chainsaw devil that unbalanced this entire cosmology, yeah. the current situation is really not sustainable long term and it's driving humanity collectively mad. so devils were either much less common or else their actions weren't a big deal for some reason. i'm guessing the latter, and that the direct cause was something to do with the erased alternatives to death.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Sudden Loud Noises Devil is gonna loving rule.

Also, it's gonna be the name of my new independent music project.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm sure at some point we'll find out that a government has some random devil and that they drive up some propaganda to make people fear it, and thus make it even stronger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I'm sure at some point we'll find out that a government has some random devil and that they drive up some propaganda to make people fear it, and thus make it even stronger.

I mean, we already saw that everyone played that game with Gun.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Shocking leak from next week's chapter:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Scholtz posted:

Shocking leak from next week's chapter:

This MF lookin like “I ain’t exactly corn but I ain’t exactly a dog either”

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

not to be too cynical but there are plenty of existential threats facing our real world today that world governments haven't exactly bent over backwards to eliminate

I used to think the concept of the president of the united states making a deal with the devil offering a year out of every citizen's lifespan was out there, and then covid happened

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

goblin week posted:

I used to think the concept of the president of the united states making a deal with the devil offering a year out of every citizen's lifespan was out there, and then covid happened

We lost 2.7 years per person

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

goblin week posted:

I still think it's weird that he was allowed to do that, it's like saying "I want something, but I demand everyone else but me pay for it" and apparently then it just happens. I never even voted for that guy!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I still think it's weird that he was allowed to do that, it's like saying "I want something, but I demand everyone else but me pay for it" and apparently then it just happens. I never even voted for that guy!

That is literally how taxes for the wealthy work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally how taxes for the wealthy work.

And you better believe I don't like THAT either!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thrilling conclusion to the saga

https://twitter.com/giganticbuddha/status/1654184641555832834?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feels a bit out of character for Denji. He's usually pretty eager to learn.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I still don’t get it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

laugh at the funny meme image

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

100% in-character when Power is there to influence him. She steals half the braincell.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Consummate Professional posted:

I still don’t get it

You see the egg in the mirror because you see the real egg too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Reading back I missed Yoshida isn't actually part of the public safety group. Makima explicitly hires him for one month post Bomb.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. Reading back I missed Yoshida isn't actually part of the public safety group. Makima explicitly hires him for one month post Bomb.

Yeah, he was working private sector in part1. Which makes it interesting he was called out as working for Public Safety in part 2.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, he was working private sector in part1. Which makes it interesting he was called out as working for Public Safety in part 2.

it's also kinda weird that he refers to them as an organization back in 103. Yoshida would know that Denji worked for Public Safety

I'm wondering if our boy is potentially a double agent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone aligned with the Octopus Devil is gonna be a triple agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

it's also kinda weird that he refers to them as an organization back in 103. Yoshida would know that Denji worked for Public Safety

I'm wondering if our boy is potentially a double agent

yeah i think it's pretty clear he was referring to a different group there