Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Let me reiterate how awesome that whole thing is.

It's really cool to see how space constraints really force thoughtfulness and proper maintenance of everything. Very tidy, very pretty, and very cool.

Edit: Ugh, terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

taiyoko posted:

Yeah! That was the design I was gonna go with!

I picked up these zinnia seeds, with the idea of 1-2 of each in the planter, to get a little height variation and some slightly different color looks, but if I can only plant 1 plant in the entire planter, then I might have to think about which one I wanna use for this year.

I'm trying to not go overboard with buying a bunch of stuff only for my ADHD to let me forget about it and then it all be a waste of money. I was all "One plant this year, and if I can keep it alive and make it a long-term thing, then I can think about maybe trying some cherry tomatoes or an heirloom tomato for Dad next year, and maybe some other edibles." Also the ADHD thing is why I wanted to go for the wicking planter like that, so that in the Georgia heat, if the brain goes derp on checking on the plants for a day or three, they weren't gonna like, instantly die. I'm not really used to proper gardening with like, fertilizer and compost and such. My main memories are "go to Home Depot, get some flowers mom likes, throw them in the ground, and hope dad does a better job of remembering to at least water them than me or mom" ('cause no surprise where the ADHD came from).

Edit: I bought the seeds, I haven't pulled the trigger on the planter supplies 'cause I was gonna wait for sage garden goon advice.

Double edit: I don't know if my memory is wrong or it really is actually a bit colder here this year compared to same time previous years, but like, our high today was about 70, is that still gonna be warm enough for direct sow outdoors, or should I start indoors and do like potting up and hardening off and such before going full outside with them?
We all kill plants; it's part of the gig. Look at the envelope for the zinnias; it should tell you how tall and how wide the varieties you've gotten are at maturity. Zinnias vary a lot in size. The big ones can get up to 4 feet tall, the dwarf ones top out at a foot. About planting time, again, look at the packet. Does it say "as soon as ground can be worked" (meaning plant right now) or "as soon as the ground has warmed"? If it's been in the 70s for the last week or so, the ground's warm.

I don't know where "here" is; we've had a long cold winter in Northern California. It's 54 degrees F on the First of May.

e: Looking at your specific seed packets, I see that the Sow Easy grows to 20" and the Thumbelina grows to 6". One rule of thumb is that you plant plants about as far apart as they grow tall. If it were me, I'd be tempted to take your big planter and put three Thumbelinas evenly spaced about 4" from the edge of the pot, in a triangle. It says to sow "after danger of frost"; use the Dave's Garden calculator to find out what yours is.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 2, 2023

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We all kill plants; it's part of the gig. Look at the envelope for the zinnias; it should tell you how tall and how wide the varieties you've gotten are at maturity. Zinnias vary a lot in size. The big ones can get up to 4 feet tall, the dwarf ones top out at a foot. About planting time, again, look at the packet. Does it say "as soon as ground can be worked" (meaning plant right now) or "as soon as the ground has warmed"? If it's been in the 70s for the last week or so, the ground's warm.

I don't know where "here" is; we've had a long cold winter in Northern California. It's 54 degrees F on the First of May.

e: Looking at your specific seed packets, I see that the Sow Easy grows to 20" and the Thumbelina grows to 6". One rule of thumb is that you plant plants about as far apart as they grow tall. If it were me, I'd be tempted to take your big planter and put three Thumbelinas evenly spaced about 4" from the edge of the pot, in a triangle. It says to sow "after danger of frost"; use the Dave's Garden calculator to find out what yours is.

Thanks for that edit! Here's what the calculator says, so I should be good to just direct sow them. And Accuweather says the lowest low we're supposed to get here this month is this Wednesday, and that's only down to 41. I think what I'll do is follow your idea with the Thumbelinas this year, and maybe do one of the Sow Easys in it's own planter next year (or even just later, we've got about 5 months of frost-free time ahead, so I could still get blooms if I wait till June or July to make a second planter).

quote:

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 23 through April 15.

Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from November 6 through April 1.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from April 29 through October 9.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You're totally good. Go forth and plant.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When do i thin out this chicory starter pot? Seems like now probably but idk. Probably try to keep 3-4 of them per pot until they look substantial enough to transplant but im just winging it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Real hurthling! posted:

When do i thin out this chicory starter pot? Seems like now probably but idk. Probably try to keep 3-4 of them per pot until they look substantial enough to transplant but im just winging it
I'd wait until they had a couple of true leaves.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SubG posted:

I'd wait until they had a couple of true leaves.

Oh ok so they can chill on top of each other like that for a while more? Its been 9 days since planting

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh ok so they can chill on top of each other like that for a while more? Its been 9 days since planting
Yeah. Like everything else it depends on a lot of variables...but most plants will be fine growing right on top of each other until they get rootbound. Not to say you should let them grow that long, just that they'll be fine being crowded like that for longer than you'd think.

Some plants—most beans and alliums, and a lot of greens, for example—will actually be perfectly happy indefinitely like that. I haven't specifically experimented with chicory, but it wouldn't surprise me if they'd cope. I know wild chicory certainly will.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The pack is in a mixture of italian and euro heiroglyphics cause its an imported heirloom variety for making ripassata greens and i cant make sense of any of it but the printoff that came stapled to it says thin to 1/inch and transplant at 4" intervals but didnt say when to do those things

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The pack is in a mixture of italian and euro heiroglyphics cause its an imported heirloom variety for making ripassata greens and i cant make sense of any of it but the printoff that came stapled to it says thin to 1/inch and transplant at 4" intervals but didnt say when to do those things
When in doubt, thin after they've developed a couple of leaves (not counting the seed leaves, which is what you have now) and transplant when they're starting to get rootbound in the container.

If the weather is good you can usually transplant earlier (I almost always do, except for plants that I know are finicky bastards). I don't know your climate or that specific chicory, but I wouldn't expect chicory to be that particular about transplant time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just had a hardcore morning in the greenhouse

The forecast said overcast for the next week so I figured it was a good time to put out the seedlings, but lo, it's clear today so I put up shade cloth which will protect them for the next week.

Today: 42 tomato plants, 8 eggplant in the ground, with 10 feet of peas, 15 feet of beans, then carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, radishes, and some scallion transplants.

If I can work up the energy I'll get my cucumber starters going right away (to transplant more or less right after germination: my seedling setup was full), and likely transplant my squashes and things tomorrow.

Also I heard a vole die to a snap trap while I was in there digging. You're cute but I'm not runng a vole buffet.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Any recommendations for the wicking cloth strips for the previously posted bucket container gardens? A quick Amazon search for like random cloth has not been that useful, and I'd prefer to save money by being educated. I figure it's "any old water absorbent cloth"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you could cut up an old cotton t shirt or towel or whatever or get some thick cotton twine/rope

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
When I did mine cut a hole in the inner bucket into which I put a plastic takeout container with a bunch of holes poked in it. The container was filled with potting mix. The wick container was suspended 3-4 inches into the reservoir.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah use old t-shirt or towel strips. don't buy something new to suck up dirt water. hell buy yourself a new shirt to wear or nice towel and sacrifice an old one or something

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thinning tip: When you've got lots of sprouting plants close together, you can clip off the extras with nail scissors. This avoids damaging the roots of the survivors.

Do not be like me and pull, then replant all the thinnings. This leads to many, many tomato plants.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

It feels so cruel snuffing out those little lives though... best to let them grow up into hosed up etiolated monsters when you dont have places to put them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
That's why I love dill season. Oh, no, I need to get rid of a tasty little seedling? Don't mind if I do! :yum:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

sexy tiger boobs posted:

It feels so cruel snuffing out those little lives though... best to let them grow up into hosed up etiolated monsters when you dont have places to put them.

That was always my strategy. Props for use of 'etiolated'.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I had carefully spaced four tomatoes and four peppers in my raised beds to avoid crowding, but I had potted up two of each kind before hardening off so I had a bunch left.

Two tomatoes wound up being jammed into the bed because I wasn't happy about how the ones I put out first were doing, thus negating my planning and requiring more vigilance and pruning later this year than I know I am generally good for.

A few I just jammed into spare pots and they can be little dwarfs on my porch I guess.

The rest I put in an unprotected spare bed I have where I dumped leftover compost. The deer have already pruned those for me.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Something I've come across in some of my other googling about wicking containers is that they need to be completely dark inside if you want to avoid algae growing in the reservoir, so I'm probably gonna throw some spray paint on my buckets before I assemble and plant.

So of course I'm now like, "but what color?"
Black: probably a bad idea, full sun gonna heat that poo poo up and evaporate the water faster, and possibly make the soil too hot
White: boring, probably take a million layers to prevent light in the reservoir

Maybe something terracotta colored? It's a classic pot color, but would it be silly looking on plastic 5-gallon buckets because they're so obviously not made of clay?

I do know that whatever color I go with, I need to make sure the specific paint will work on plastic. And hey, maybe it'll keep the buckets from breaking down from uv exposure for longer!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can just paint the inside if you don't wanna see the color but honestly algae growth in the wicking resivoir probably isn't that big of an issue that it needs specifically prevented. You can also just take the buckets apart and clean it every once in a while

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

taiyoko posted:

Something I've come across in some of my other googling about wicking containers is that they need to be completely dark inside if you want to avoid algae growing in the reservoir, so I'm probably gonna throw some spray paint on my buckets before I assemble and plant.

So of course I'm now like, "but what color?"
Black: probably a bad idea, full sun gonna heat that poo poo up and evaporate the water faster, and possibly make the soil too hot
White: boring, probably take a million layers to prevent light in the reservoir

Maybe something terracotta colored? It's a classic pot color, but would it be silly looking on plastic 5-gallon buckets because they're so obviously not made of clay?

I do know that whatever color I go with, I need to make sure the specific paint will work on plastic. And hey, maybe it'll keep the buckets from breaking down from uv exposure for longer!

I just made a worm bin out of three 5 gallon buckets, and I spray-painted them a terra cotta color so they’d be slightly less ugly. Yesterday my wife noticed and said it looks pretty sharp for being three buckets stacked on top of each other.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
That's a slick idea. My buckets came with giants LOWES branding on them but also inexplicably a big lone star state Texas icon? I live in NC...

Zodack fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 6, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I am late getting my garden started (again)! This year I'm growing dill, basil (whether I wanted to or not), and cucumbers.

I went outside to sow my seeds, and found last year's basil bucket had several volunteer sprouts this morning! I guess I'm only a week off of nature this year.
I thoroughly rehabbed and mixed up that soil in the basil bucket last weekend, too, so last year's plants must have made a ton of seeds to get any distributed at the top like that.

Dill is starting from scratch because I always start it too late and it never gets big enough to do anything but make small sad flower heads and die off in a month from the heat. (I'm setting a reminder next year to sow it much earlier.)

My cucumber seeds have been lost in the mail for a good two weeks; I'm getting more sent so I can maybe get them in the soil before it's too hot. Just have to hope El Niño cooperates this summer.

I'll be growing Spacemaster 80 bush cucumbers in a 5 gallon bucket. I have picked up the cheapest tomato cage from Lowe's to give it something to climb. If they grow at all I'll get a sturdier trellis situation going for the next round.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lawnie posted:

I just made a worm bin out of three 5 gallon buckets, and I spray-painted them a terra cotta color so they’d be slightly less ugly. Yesterday my wife noticed and said it looks pretty sharp for being three buckets stacked on top of each other.
What kind of paint sticks to plastic containers?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rust-Oleum's 2x coverage primer (and paints) say they will stick to most plastics, though you do want to roughen them up with some sandpaper first to give it a better chance. The only terracotta colored spray paint I found doesn't say it sticks to plastic so you'd want to use a plastic -friendly primer under it.

Not endorsing any particular brand, but there are a number of companies that make plastic-friendly spray paint.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My petunias are looking amazing but this vinca went from looking happy yesterday to looking like this today. Sucks. Any hope for it? The others look good still.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just used rustoleum. It will probably chip and peel by the end of summer but if that’s the case I’ll rough it up with some sandpaper and try again next year.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Real hurthling! posted:

My petunias are looking amazing but this vinca went from looking happy yesterday to looking like this today. Sucks. Any hope for it? The others look good still.

gently caress a vinca! Hopefully that poo poo aint too invasive in your area, it's terrible in oregon. I bet it'll recover though.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, I was gonna say, I've tried killing those and they come back every year.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

A tree fell so I cut & dried it, then turned its hull into a raised bed for my mustard, spinach and kale! Kale isn't as happy but who cares, kale sucks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

majour333 posted:

A tree fell so I cut & dried it, then turned its hull into a raised bed for my mustard, spinach and kale! Kale isn't as happy but who cares, kale sucks.

:nice:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My least favourite part about having indoor plants is the part where I water them and water them and water them and nothing happens, and then I water them one last time and they flood my apartment. I swear it's a fine line between properly watering the soil and going just a tad over and having a bunch of water dump out on your tile floor. I haven't yet figured out how much each pot can take, they're quite hefty and I always worry about not properly wetting the soil as I do weekly watering.

I might get myself a moisture meter.

Also, unrelated note, my cress is growing nicely, I've had them for about 2 weeks now? They've grown so tall that they have basically gone limp and flopped over. I wanted them to flower and seed but I don't know if I've done something wrong. It's the type of cress you typically put in egg sandwiches.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 7, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's spring! My apple tree, in its second year, is blooming. I probably won't let it set fruit this year, but I may succumb and let it.

On the down side, all three of my citrus, the oldest two years old, are dying. I'll rebuy and replant. For this time, I'll do a better job of screening them from the sea winds and be sure to plant them deeper. I'm grumpy about the Meyer lemon, which was very healthy last year, but the Thai lime and variegated calamondin lived a year in their deep, narrow nursery pots, and hadn't had a chance to get their roots in. https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

oatmealraisin
Feb 26, 2023
What do you all do about spider mites?? I basically just trash the plant they're on, I've never been successful in saving a plant. Indoor garden btw, most everything is on window sills and on my fire escape

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

tablespoon of oil (neem oil is supposedly best, but any veg will probably clog them up too) and organic soap in water in a spray bottle does wonders for them. Ideally you take the plant somewhere where you can hose it off after a while, though. The residue can build up and can damage more sensitive leaves

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

majour333 posted:

That is really cool!

I have a question that's not really garden related but I don't know where else to ask. I've been trying to remove some stumps with a shovel and a pickaxe. Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to do this? I'm not really in a rush and it's a fun little work out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Burn it out :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Nosre posted:

tablespoon of oil (neem oil is supposedly best, but any veg will probably clog them up too) and organic soap in water in a spray bottle does wonders for them. Ideally you take the plant somewhere where you can hose it off after a while, though. The residue can build up and can damage more sensitive leaves

Neem completely protects my leafy greens from outside bugs with just an occasional application