Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

It's the Gooper!

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1651940340717486080?s=20

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:hmmyes:

Go on

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That little green man's got it :guitar:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

It's the Gooper!

Goopacabra on the loose!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Just finished Tim Dinsdale's 1974 The Story of the Loch Ness Monster, for young readers:

https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2023/04/the-story-of-loch-ness-monster-by-tim.html

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Just finished Tim Dinsdale's 1974 The Story of the Loch Ness Monster, for young readers:

https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2023/04/the-story-of-loch-ness-monster-by-tim.html

I like Nessie, but mostly because it seems like one of the least notable things that somehow made it into the public cryptid consciousness if you spend five minutes looking into it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like Nessie, but mostly because it seems like one of the least notable things that somehow made it into the public cryptid consciousness if you spend five minutes looking into it.

yeah, like I link to Darren Naish and Ronald Binns' writings that lay out just how thin Nessie is on the ground, basically a handful of "sightings" that get promoted by Rupert Gould + Constance Whyte and then the '70s boyos like Dinsdale, Rines, and co., she's basically on the level of Mokele Mbembe but somehow has the pop culture penetration. I love F.W. Holiday's Tully Monster because it's totally absurd and/but also just as plausible as the classic plesiosaur idea.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullimonstrum

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Got to the Goatman episode of Lore, and I’d not heard about this one before. It’s interesting it’s pretty much confined to just the BARC area and isn’t wider reaching.

Also the Goatman creepypasta makes it harder to look up because of that story’s popularity.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Thought you were talking about a different goatman until the final sentence.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

What is that cryptid doing to its rear end in a top hat!?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Marcade posted:

Deleted scene from the X-Files episodes Tooms

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

who turned off my monitor

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Marcade posted:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Goatman talk means it's time to repost what might be my favorite piece of cryptid art.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Knormal posted:

Goatman talk means it's time to repost what might be my favorite piece of cryptid art.

Lol, I want to know more

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Goatman pls go

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Knormal posted:

efb!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I want to know more

that fucker's on some kind of list

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I want to know more
One of the early goatman reports was of it scaring teens at a makeout spot, that was some site's interpretation of that sighting.

I found what I think is the original article: https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/marylands-goatman-half-man-half-goat-blood/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Knormal posted:

One of the early goatman reports was of it scaring teens at a makeout spot, that was some site's interpretation of that sighting.

I found what I think is the original article: https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/marylands-goatman-half-man-half-goat-blood/

Ah ok, that's pretty funny. I thought it was a comic series or something based on the art.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Knormal posted:

The myth of “consent”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

I dug up an old article from 2010 which uses that art, uncredited.
I think the artist is Charles Burns, or someone ripping off his style really closely

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone lives near the Ballarat region of Victoria Australia there's an interesting public lecture at the Ballarat Municipal Observatory on May 28 about the 1914 German Airship Hysteria which was a precursor to modern day UFO panics

quote:

Attention history and science enthusiasts! Join David Waldron at the Ballarat Observatory for an exclusive and exciting show that delves into the mystery of the German Airship Hysteria that swept over Victoria in 1914.
This fascinating event was a precursor to the modern-day UFO panics of the late 20th century and took Victorians on an X-Files-like journey of Close Encounters of the Prussian kind. Through the use of magic lantern imagery, this show will feature retellings and news reports, designed to give you a taste of what the panic would have been like for the people of 1914 Victoria.
Seats for this show are limited, so don't miss out! If the first show sells out, a second show will be announced. As an added bonus, weather permitting, audiences are invited to book a viewing of the stunning first quarter moon on the same night for an additional fee of $10 for adults and $5 for concessions. To book your spot, visit the Ballarat Observatory website for more details.
Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to experience a pinnacle of 19th century technology and unravel the mystery of the German Airship Hysteria. Book your tickets now!
https://www.facebook.com/events/536507885319985/?ref=newsfeed

I don't live close enough to attend. :(

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The_Doctor posted:

Got to the Goatman episode of Lore, and I’d not heard about this one before. It’s interesting it’s pretty much confined to just the BARC area and isn’t wider reaching.

Also the Goatman creepypasta makes it harder to look up because of that story’s popularity.

Goatman just trying to chill and make new friends and humans had to keep making it weird.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone lives near the Ballarat region of Victoria Australia there's an interesting public lecture at the Ballarat Municipal Observatory on May 28 about the 1914 German Airship Hysteria which was a precursor to modern day UFO panics

Sounds awesome but the 9,700 mile trip is a wee bit much :(

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://www.facebook.com/events/536507885319985/?ref=newsfeed

There was just an Australian podcast that did an episode on this topic: https://talesfromratcity.com/2023/04/13/ufo-sightings-of-australia/

The author they interviewed, Brett Holman, has written a few articles on the Australian mystery airships. The general mystery airship phenomenon has always been of interest to me. I visited a friend in Austin years ago and convinced him to drive up to Aurora to see the local cemetery where the supposed Martian pilot of the 1897 airship crash was buried. I have a photo of it somewhere, I'll try and find.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

There was just an Australian podcast that did an episode on this topic: https://talesfromratcity.com/2023/04/13/ufo-sightings-of-australia/

Queued that up, thanks! Been a while since I read anything about the airships, but the idea always fascinated me too. It just seems so quaint compared to the later "traditional" UFOs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Before you click this link, I need you to make a guess in your head what cryptid this first person horror walking sim is about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think the weirdest aspect of the Loveland Frog is that the mystery was solved almost immediately but it still became an urban legend which has endured for 50+ years

quote:

On March 3, 1972, at 1:00 am, Loveland police officer Ray Shockey was driving on Riverside Drive near the Totes boot factory and the Little Miami River when an unidentified animal scurried across the road in front of his vehicle. The animal was fully illuminated in his vehicle's headlights, and he described it as 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.2 m) long and about 50 to 75 pounds (25 to 35 kg), with leathery skin. He reported spotting the animal "crouched like a frog" before it momentarily stood erect to climb over the guardrail and back down towards the river.

Two weeks after the incident, a second Loveland police officer, Mark Matthews, reported seeing an unidentified animal crouched along the road in the same vicinity as Shockey's sighting. Matthews shot the animal, recovered the body, and put it in his trunk to show officer Shockey. According to Matthews, it was "a large iguana about 3 or 3.5 feet [0.9 or 1.1 m] long", and he didn't immediately recognize it because it was missing its tail. Mathews speculated the iguana had been someone's pet that "either got loose or was released when it grew too large". According to Mathews, Shockey was shown the dead iguana and confirmed it was the animal he had seen two weeks previously. Matthews recounted the incident to an author of a book about urban legends, but says the author "omitted the part that confirmed that the creature was an iguana rather than a Frogman". Mathews also recounted the frogman story in 2016 again on WCPO channel 9.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveland_frog

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So you're saying the Loveland Frog somehow procured an iguana, traumatized it to cause it to drop its tail, then threw it out in front of the cops to be shot, all to remove suspicion from itself? How devious.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

Before you click this link, I need you to make a guess in your head what cryptid this first person horror walking sim is about.

"Great frogosphere"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the loveland frog is the only cryptid i believe in

and by that i mean i have unwavering faith in the strength and cunning of the large frog man

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I imagine flying a German airship all the way to Australia for reasons would be a pretty lovely gig but probably preferable to drowning in mud in a trench in Flanders I suppose.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I imagine flying a German airship all the way to Australia for reasons would be a pretty lovely gig but probably preferable to drowning in mud in a trench in Flanders I suppose.

It's not as far from Antarctica

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

New Guinea was a German colony at the time (same with Namibia, where there was also a German plane panic in South Africa) so it wasn’t that far, but as the researcher mentions in the interview it was still an extreme distance for a plane at the time. Part of it was also the panic that German spies were smuggling in plane parts and building planes from secret remote spots in Australia itself.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just find the idea of anyone bothering to invade Australia to be funny in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I mean, the English did it, so