Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought that The City and The City was clearly modeled on Slavic Christian and Turkish Muslim coexistence in the Balkans. It's some pretty straightforward exploring real social phenomena through the distant lens of science fiction. Two peoples that insist they are different and behave as if that's their most important taboo when they are literally the same city and the same people.

1stGear posted:

I don't have any knowledge of that, so that would probably explain why I slid off the book.

yeah, it's a weird book until at some point the setting 'clicks' with you and you get what's going on. but if you don't get to that point

there's probably whole swathes of your home city you 'unsee' every day because the as whole the population unspoken collusion in that.
e.g. people walk on by the homeless population without seeing them.
or you have the segregation between rich and poor but it's not hard borders, there are fuzzy areas. and people have to pass through but do so while unseeing or being unseen.
now take that to the extreme.

there was a quite good BBC mini-series in 2018. which to bring this back on topic you might have thought the weirdness of the setting made it as unfilmable as God Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

1stGear posted:

I had the opposite experience: C&C was almost impenetrable to me because I kept getting caught on the bizarreness of a setting that was nominally supposed to be in the real world. Conversely, Perdido and Scar ease you into their fantasy stuff, possibly too much in Perdido's case. You'd miss out some stuff if you started with Scar (mostly making it really clear how much a bunch of bastards New Crobuzon are), but I don't think it'd be that hard to follow.

i think you'll find the Dune game lead to C&C

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan Smithee posted:

i think you'll find the Dune game lead to C&C

C&C is basically Dune II bit with the sides swapped for GI Joe and Cobra.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Leto II screaming, "I was once a man!" as he drops into the Idaho River.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

1stGear posted:

I don't have any knowledge of that, so that would probably explain why I slid off the book.

How could you avoid being exposed to that, even tangentially? I'm genuinely curious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ciao Wren posted:

How could you avoid being exposed to that, even tangentially? I'm genuinely curious.

American education and global awareness is absolutely dire.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

American education and global awareness is absolutely dire.

Even still we are all the right age to have memories of the Bosnian War or to have at least played GTAIV and/or This War of Mine. Plus the partition of India and Ghandi's nonviolence is a core part of American education because it is an important precursor to MLK's blood sacrifice that cleansed America of racism. At least at my school and the schools of most people I know the post-ottoman post-soviet states in E Europe got mixed into that where strongmen forced them to get along. It was a dire education but it talked about stuff you could look up in the encyclopedia if you were curious.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ciao Wren posted:

Even still we are all the right age to have memories of the Bosnian War or to have at least played GTAIV and/or This War of Mine. Plus the partition of India and Ghandi's nonviolence is a core part of American education because it is an important precursor to MLK's blood sacrifice that cleansed America of racism. At least at my school and the schools of most people I know the post-ottoman post-soviet states in E Europe got mixed into that where strongmen forced them to get along. It was a dire education but it talked about stuff you could look up in the encyclopedia if you were curious.

knowledge of the bosnian war in the US seemed pretty much limited to "there is a war in a place called bosnia" and that there was something called "ethnic cleansing" going on, if you weren't a small child at the time like I was maybe you would have been vaguely aware that some of the people involved were muslims but yeah the general understanding of the balkans in the US is "everyone in the balkans hates eachother for inexplicable reasons lol"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

For my part, I was like 8 or 9 when the Bosnian War started so a lot of it flew over my head. And then when I got to actual world history stuff, yeah, the education was garbage. It could be conveniently divided between a very small selection of "events leading eventually up to the US" (including some stuff going way back to like Rome and even Greece as part of our civic mythology of being the heirs of glory and the banner-carriers of ancient ideas of democracy) and mostly "world events the US got involved in." The Bosnian War itself was both too recent to really get into our textbooks and also too "minor" for teachers to wedge into courses mostly actually about the American Revolution and World War 2.

When I was briefly in a college program to become a high school history teacher, one of the required reading books was Lies My Teacher Told Me. If I recall it opened up with the author bemoaning how most college professors in the US are happy to hear that an incoming student was passionate about a subject in high school, but history professors just feel dread about how much their students are going to have to unlearn first.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

hailthefish posted:

knowledge of the bosnian war in the US seemed pretty much limited to "there is a war in a place called bosnia" and that there was something called "ethnic cleansing" going on, if you weren't a small child at the time like I was maybe you would have been vaguely aware that some of the people involved were muslims but yeah the general understanding of the balkans in the US is "everyone in the balkans hates eachother for inexplicable reasons lol"

Yea the Bosnian war is less than a blip in the American education system and even less so in the larger cultural awareness sense.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
president Clinton bombed bosnia because it was what Hillary asked from him in order for her to excuse the Lewinsky thing. for real.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ram dass in hell posted:

president Clinton bombed bosnia because it was what Hillary asked from him in order for her to excuse the Lewinsky thing. for real.

and still somehow better than what came next

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

ram dass in hell posted:

The Bosnian war ended three years before the Lewinsky affair. You're thinking of this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_bombing_of_Iraq

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The Bosnian war ended three years before the Lewinsky affair. You're thinking of this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_bombing_of_Iraq

it's not my fault, i went to an american public school

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Yea the Bosnian war is less than a blip in the American education system and even less so in the larger cultural awareness sense.

As a function of history sure so for younger goons that checks out but I'm assuming most goons are in the 40+/-5 years range so outside of the extreme young end of things they would have been alive and aware at the time they happened.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ciao Wren posted:

As a function of history sure so for younger goons that checks out but I'm assuming most goons are in the 40+/-5 years range so outside of the extreme young end of things they would have been alive and aware at the time they happened.

Have you met many Americans?

A shockingly high percentage wonder why Obama didn't stop 9/11.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ciao Wren posted:

A forty-year-old goon would have been 9 when the war started and 12 when it ended. I think that'd still be fairly young to have much of an understanding of a distant conflict, even if the US media and education system were fantastic. As it was, I mostly remember it being framed as a minor facet of the broader communist collapse.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ciao Wren posted:

I was taught about Ghandi's nonviolent resistance to British imperialism and almost nothing about the actual Partition. What little knowledge I have about the latter comes from reading Midnight's Children.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
Well now I've gone and made myself depressed.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ciao Wren posted:

Ghandi's nonviolence is a core part of American education

PeterWeller posted:

I was taught about Ghandi's nonviolent resistance to British imperialism

is spelling missing from the American curriculum as well

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Oof. At least now I feel a little better about never remembering where the h goes in Bakhtin.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Who needs spelling anyway? What's it ever done for us!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

kalel posted:

is spelling missing from the American curriculum as well

New to the internet, are you?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dunc: A discussion on the failures of public education.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

Bugblatter posted:

Dunce: A discussion on the failures of public education.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Edhucation

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If American public education was better, Dunc would be on high school reading lists.

Only the good books though, not the brainwashing via pussy books.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
2 U N C - is our children jihading?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Galactic jihad special fremen unit:DUNC DUNC

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D U N C 2 - Duncan Dis Worm in Yueh Mouf

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
DUNC 2 Arrakiccino

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

MacheteZombie posted:

DUNC 2 Arrakiccino

Broke: Casting Al Pacino as Shaddam IV
Woke: Casting Al Pacino as Feyd Rautha
Bespoke: Casting Al Pacino as Alia

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I've got this problem where YouTube keeps giving me the 2UNC trailer as a pre-video ad, and I watch it all the way through every single time.

This is a problem because it's two minutes long and with how often it comes up, it's eating up many minutes of my day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hopefully it does well so the third one can be called DUNC3

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
D U N Ɛ

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
D U N 3~~

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I wish my YouTube ads were that good, I just get those incredibly annoying, unskippable Chrome ones.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carpet posted:

I wish my YouTube ads were that good, I just get those incredibly annoying, unskippable Chrome ones.

May I introduce you to SponsorBlock?

Although in the long run, you might have to switch to Firefox - because Alphabet is planning to (or might already have) removed functionality that enables adblocking like this, and I'm sure they'll continue to do so.
Google is, after all, a company whose entire business model revolves around selling ads, and it's confusing that people ever thought it'd turn out any different.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
It should probably be styled as D U U N C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DI INC